Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199186 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #2300 on: July 21, 2013, 02:54:38 AM »
So I'm not exactly watching it, but Big Bang Theory has been on my TV for that past couple of hours...and I don't get how anyone would ever think this show is funny. It is not. At all.

Because it IS funny, vastly superior to the pile or turn known as Community. I'm baffled how you are in the minority in not thinking it is funny.

Bahaha, the majority of the internet hates that show.

Plus, the writers are assholes. Did you see their Comic-con panel before the legend of korra one? Complete douchebaggery and cockiness.

The majority of the TV audience and the majority of critics like it. A small minority of people online are not representative of anything.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: July 21, 2013, 02:59:49 AM »
Rank    Shows    R=Repeat S=Special P=Premiere    Net    18-49 rating    18-49 Viewers (000)
1    AMERICA'S GOT TALENT-WED-07/10    P    NBC    2.8    3483
2    UNDER THE DOME-07/08       CBS    2.7    3404
3    AMERICA'S GOT TALENT-TUE-07/09       NBC    2.6    3291
4    MASTERCHEF WED-9P-07/10       FOX    2.3    2918
5    MASTERCHEF WED-8P-07/10       FOX    2.2    2778
6    Big Brother 15-SUN-07/14    R    CBS    2.1    2672
7    Big Brother 15-THU-07/11    P    CBS    2.1    2661
8    HELL'S KITCHEN-07/11    P    FOX    2.1    2692
9    Big Bang Theory, THE-07/11    R    CBS    2.0    2522
10    Big Brother 15-WED-07/10       CBS    2.0    2578

Top ten.  Obviously, popularity=good.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2302 on: July 21, 2013, 08:54:52 AM »
I will defend MasterChef and Hell's Kitchen because Gordon Ramsey is actually entertaining.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2303 on: July 21, 2013, 11:02:21 AM »
I never said popularity is the same as quality. But BBT is popular AND good. I know a tiny minority dont like it, but that doesnt matter
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2304 on: July 21, 2013, 11:33:14 AM »
TJ Spyke doesn't care about minorities.

But seriously, I kinda like BBT. Sometimes the jokes are really bad, though. It's just an easy show to watch, especially in syndication, because the jokes are so "lowest common denominator". It's easy for me to kick back and watch it after a long day of work because it essentially lets me turn my brain off.

When you're explaining your favorite shows and have to mention how one would have to "appreciate" the humor or subtleties, you should note that not everyone wants to do that. I've only watched a little bit of Community, but the show just doesn't air when I'd like, and I don't like to look **** up on line.

One last bit, more and more people are getting their TV online now. So much so that Nielsen is working to count internet viewers in its numbers. I don't think the numbers are "small". Relative to TV viewership? Sure. But we're talking about a group of people who watch live TV vs a group of people who watch internet TV. The one who was there first will be bigger.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: July 21, 2013, 11:44:05 AM »
So I'm not exactly watching it, but Big Bang Theory has been on my TV for that past couple of hours...and I don't get how anyone would ever think this show is funny. It is not. At all.

Because it IS funny, vastly superior to the pile or turn known as Community. I'm baffled how you are in the minority in not thinking it is funny.

Bahaha, the majority of the internet hates that show.

Plus, the writers are assholes. Did you see their Comic-con panel before the legend of korra one? Complete douchebaggery and cockiness.

The majority of the TV audience and the majority of critics like it. A small minority of people online are not representative of anything.

Doesn't matter; the writers are still assholes.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: July 21, 2013, 11:47:11 AM »

But seriously, I kinda like BBT. Sometimes the jokes are really bad, though. It's just an easy show to watch, especially in syndication, because the jokes are so "lowest common denominator". It's easy for me to kick back and watch it after a long day of work because it essentially lets me turn my brain off.

When you're explaining your favorite shows and have to mention how one would have to "appreciate" the humor or subtleties, you should note that not everyone wants to do that. I've only watched a little bit of Community, but the show just doesn't air when I'd like, and I don't like to look **** up on line.

One last bit, more and more people are getting their TV online now. So much so that Nielsen is working to count internet viewers in its numbers. I don't think the numbers are "small". Relative to TV viewership? Sure. But we're talking about a group of people who watch live TV vs a group of people who watch internet TV. The one who was there first will be bigger.

Right, people who are too lazy and dumb to appreciate Community and other great shows will find themselves right at home with The Big Bang theory.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: July 21, 2013, 11:47:11 AM »

Right, people who are too lazy and dumb to appreciate Community and other great shows will find themselves right at home with The Big Bang theory.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: July 21, 2013, 11:52:15 AM »
I never said popularity is the same as quality. But BBT is popular AND good. I know a tiny minority dont like it, but that doesnt matter
A tiny minority? Just because a show gets high ratings doesn't mean the majority of TV watchers like it - unless that show has 51% of ALL people watching TV at that moment, then the majority of TV watchers are watching something else. It's popular, but it's not good. It comes on Thursdays at 8:00 (had to check WikiSpykeia for that), the only other thing worth watching Thursdays at 8:00 is Hell's Kitchen (which hasn't been good in years).

Now back to the majority/minority - Calculus 2/Applied Statistics/Discrete Math are the highest math courses I've taken, so I'm legally not a mathematician - but if a competing show, Hell's Kitchen, gets higher ratings than Big Bang Theory in the same time slot, then I'm fairly certain that a majority of people (or a majority of TV watchers) cannot be watching Big Bang Theory. Big Bang Theory had about 2.5 million watchers on 7/11/13 (according to UncleBob's excellent reporting). According to Google, there are 313.9 million people in the US, so that is roughly 311.4 million people that did not watch Big Bang Theory on that night. Again, I'm not mathematician.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2309 on: July 21, 2013, 11:53:34 AM »
Also, I don't like watching anything other than YouTube videos on my computer.

I might start watching it though, but it's low on my priority list.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2310 on: July 22, 2013, 12:10:01 PM »
A tiny minority? Just because a show gets high ratings doesn't mean the majority of TV watchers like it - unless that show has 51% of ALL people watching TV at that moment, then the majority of TV watchers are watching something else. It's popular, but it's not good. It comes on Thursdays at 8:00 (had to check WikiSpykeia for that), the only other thing worth watching Thursdays at 8:00 is Hell's Kitchen (which hasn't been good in years).

Now back to the majority/minority - Calculus 2/Applied Statistics/Discrete Math are the highest math courses I've taken, so I'm legally not a mathematician - but if a competing show, Hell's Kitchen, gets higher ratings than Big Bang Theory in the same time slot, then I'm fairly certain that a majority of people (or a majority of TV watchers) cannot be watching Big Bang Theory. Big Bang Theory had about 2.5 million watchers on 7/11/13 (according to UncleBob's excellent reporting). According to Google, there are 313.9 million people in the US, so that is roughly 311.4 million people that did not watch Big Bang Theory on that night. Again, I'm not mathematician.

And on any given week, BBT still gets over 10 times as many viewers as Community. A show that gets lower ratings every year and only still exists because the network it is on is desperate for any show that gets even mediocre ratings. Also, you realize that BBT is in re-runs right now and that it was up against a new episode of Hell's Kitchen? New episodes always finish in the top 5 for the week. Also, now TV show will ever get 51% of the audience again. Back when there were only 3 channels it was possible, but even just counting TV there are hundreds of channels (even basic TV has at least 6 channels: Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, The CW). It's popular to hate on BBT, but that doesn't make it a bad show.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: July 22, 2013, 01:22:34 PM »
No, the horrible writing, bad jokes, crappy plots and clichés make it a bad show.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: July 22, 2013, 01:52:26 PM »
Dexter
Last episode's ending was retarded. It got even stupider in promo for the next episode. Writers obviously lost whatever idea they're doing by that point.

Luther
Last episode's ending was amazing. It got even more amazing in the promo for next episode. poor Justin but DAT Alice
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:54:21 PM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: July 22, 2013, 02:02:46 PM »
Why do you keep mentioning Community? I watched the first 3 episodes or so and it was terrible so I never watched it again. Thank you for proving my point about your majority/minority comments being completely absurd though.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: July 22, 2013, 02:27:09 PM »
Chuck Lorre man. I can't stand his shows. Two and Half Men, Big Bang Theory, Mike & Molly, Grace Under Fire.

Normally, I wouldn't care that much about Big Bang Theory but what gets me about the show is how people think I should be all over it. Oh it has superhero references/jokes, science fiction references/jokes, or other such "geek" culture stuff. But none of it is clever or very funny. The writers would brag about how they'd put all these scientific jokes in the backround as well and that's what gets me the most is that the writers and cast think everything is sooo clever and brilliant but it always aims for lowbrow humor. They don't really trust the audience.

Frankly, I think the audience is mainly women anyways. It reminds me of Friends another show I can't stand that is the same type of broad and cliched joke telling as Big Bang Theory. But so many women love that show and it's the same with Big Bang Theory. The vast majority of people I ever see talking about it are women. Considering the show seems to be mainly more relationship focused now just lends more credence to this belief. Plus, the way the show treats the characters, it just feels like this is how women normally see the nerd/geek sterotype and plays them up to that nth degree.

At the same time, I'm not a fan of Community. If anything, it goes too far in the opposite direction. And Dan Harmon is just as big a moron as anyone from the BBT's writers pool if not more so with some of the asinine comments he's made.

For my money, Parks and Recreation is where it is at and does a much better job of managing to be appealing to a vast audience while still throwing in little injokes for the loyal viewing audience and is willing to make jokes on real-life issues/events. Heck, Time magazine picked it as the number one show of 2012 beating out things like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Homeland. It always has some great laughs and it just gives me a sense of joy when watching it by smartly balancing some drama with its humor.

It just boggles my mind how people haven't tried to watch it but because of The Office so many people have the wrong impression of the show and I still talk to people who have never heard of it. This year it didn't even get an Emmy nom for Best Comedy but Veep and Girls did which I think are even worse than BBT and Community. I guess that's the problem with comedy. People can seem to agree on what makes a good drama but comedy is too subjective.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: July 22, 2013, 03:30:23 PM »

Can i just point out that Fringe came out with significantly lower ratings than BBT (in fact it's so low it would have been cancelled over here too years ago; Doctor Who gets triple the numbers) yet it finished at 100 episodes and is probably the single best JJ Abrams TV show he's overseen - Lost included.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: July 22, 2013, 03:46:12 PM »
I haven't watched Parks and Recreation in a long time (over a full season) and never finished the last season of The Office...need to catch up on those. The last few episodes of The Office were pretty terrible though. Parks and Recreation is easily the best comedy series, on network television at least.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: July 22, 2013, 03:50:13 PM »
I hate comedies.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: July 22, 2013, 04:37:51 PM »
Adventure Time

This show, simply put, is ridiculous. Watching it I become overwhelmed with creativity. And some of the most worthy laughs of the show are things that, as a child, wouldn't be funny at all. That's how weirdly hilarious it is. For instance, they took a Princess's cute giggle to be reason enough to hold people hostage. I laughed so hard at the explanation. "And then she laughed in my face man."

If you haven't seen it, give it a chance. The episodes are only eleven minutes long. And if they aren't funny, they're at least entertaining and goofy.

Highly recommended.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #2319 on: July 25, 2013, 01:02:43 PM »
Just chiming in to say that Big Bang Theory is indeed terrible and the fact that the number of people who like it is pretty high has exactly zero relevance to anything.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2320 on: July 25, 2013, 01:15:14 PM »
Well, you are wrong in saying it is terrible. It just shows you have no good taste in shows and don't know what is funny.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: July 25, 2013, 01:30:38 PM »
Re: Adventure Time - it is awesome.  Great show.

Re: TJ - I don't think *you*, of all people, should be going around insisting that the *opinions* of other forumers are "wrong".

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: July 25, 2013, 01:35:33 PM »
All comedies suck. :D

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: July 25, 2013, 02:18:04 PM »
Well, you are wrong in saying it is terrible. It just shows you have no good taste in shows and don't know what is funny.

How did you get to this point in your life without realizing that comedy is an inherently very subjective thing? You seem to have this mindset that your opinions and tastes are absolute truths and anyone who disagrees with them is wrong. That's a developmental phase that usually goes away around age 5 or 6.

J.P. Corbran

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: July 25, 2013, 02:32:23 PM »
Why do you keep mentioning Community? I watched the first 3 episodes or so and it was terrible so I never watched it again. Thank you for proving my point about your majority/minority comments being completely absurd though.

Since no one responded to you before, this is what I'll say about Community:

Probably the first 1/3 of the first season of Community is a bit of a slog to get through, with the exception of a few episodes.  They spend more time on character identification and dialogue/motivations instead of humor, and the show suffers for it.  I personally think it's the weakest/most inconsistent of the first 3 seasons, but they set up a lot of what makes each characters who they are in these episodes, so unfortuantely it's sort of required watching.

The 2nd & 3rd season start with the understanding that everyone watching has a general idea who these characters are, and use it as a baseline to pivot off to a lot of the plot and episode decisions.  So while you still get some story development, they're able to focus a lot more on the humor of the show, and the payoff is great.

I certainly understand why it may not be justifiable for you to continue watching under the assumption that it'll get better, though.  I can't bring myself to pick up Parks & Recreation again simply because I watched 2/3 of the first season and found it incredibly mediocre.