Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199130 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #2275 on: May 13, 2013, 02:18:10 PM »
As far as I can tell, the only thing LOST popularized was BS nonsensical storytelling. Even that had a start in a previous show Alias.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: May 13, 2013, 02:30:03 PM »
Lost had storytelling? All it had some bullshit to keep gullible viewers craving for new mysterious mysteries of mysteriousness.

Though it had pretty good one shots, but the story arc(s?) was complete and utter guano.

Similar to X-Files really. Man, i loved that show. But to these day i don't have any clue what was going on in the Smoker and Krycek episodes. Great one-shots though.

One of the very few live-action shows doing seasons long storytelling right is surprisingly Supernatural. Really great story arcs. Though constantly upping the stakes made the show a bit stale, there is no topping God, Satan and Apocalypse in season 5 or something.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: May 13, 2013, 08:37:18 PM »
Star Trek Deep Space Nine was largely serialized over a decade before Lost. The best serialized show ever made (The Wire) had already gone off the air before Lost came into existence.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: May 14, 2013, 03:12:55 AM »
As far as I can tell, the only thing LOST popularized was BS nonsensical storytelling. Even that had a start in a previous show Alias.

oohhboy nailed what i meant. DS9 is the best serialised show i've seen (S3-7 are fantastically balanced), but i'm talking in a post-Lost era where shows throw out the hype-filled mysteries in the first few episodes then twiddle on them for at least a season. Caprica, Stargate Universe, Paradox and Outcasts did it, and even Defiance is doing it now.

I use Lost as a signpost because its what killed scifi (american ones, mainly) in the years after it. It's only now we're seeing it return in a big way, but POI perfected that balance because things that were raised in the pilot were answered in season 2.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: May 14, 2013, 10:39:54 AM »
What I really hate is now that for some reason or other Marketing decides that it HAS to show the meat of the show in the Commercials.  So if you watch the commercial you might as well not even bother with the show because the only thing you haven't seen is fluff.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: May 14, 2013, 07:02:17 PM »
and Phantom Menace was out also...

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: June 14, 2013, 09:58:43 AM »
Rahxephon

I have no idea why people consider this even equal to Evangelion let alone better. It has way to many characters to give a **** about, pointless arcs, factions of no function and a mythos that makes less sense than Evangelion. The animation is uninteresting and having the dolems as inanimate lumps of dirt just makes it worse. Shinji might have been a hatable pussy in NGE, but at least you felt something towards him unlike Rah's protagonist Ayato, who personality is based on convenience of the plot disconnected from one episode to the next.

I am so glad I didn't buy this all those years agi when I saw the first episode which was pretty good. Once your ouside of the first episode it just goes down hill.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: July 13, 2013, 10:48:42 PM »
Beware the Batman:

Ugh.  I'm about ten minutes into this and it's pretty painful.  Still going to give the series a chance, but man... CGI Man Nipples aside, this is just horrible.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: July 13, 2013, 11:49:34 PM »
I liked Beware the Batman.

Action felt good and very Nolan-esque. He broke the shoulder and then "fixed" it by slamming into the car.

Alfred looks like a british thug is a drastic change but i kinda like it.

Caught up on Luther.

Why do they have to do this 24 thing every season? Where Luther not only has to deal with multiple cases but also defend himself from internal investigations. They did it in first, second and now in third season. Especially when they re-use the same characters to dig under Luther to do the same thing they did last season.

Otherwise, it's pretty good. Serial killer was creepy enough, and Idris Elba is amazing as always.

Oh, and i just caught first "season" finale of Lexx on TV. I loved this show as teenager. First three season are still good. Season where they go to earth was awful as i remember.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 11:51:36 PM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: July 14, 2013, 12:22:54 AM »
I finished up Frasier last night. All in all, I liked it, but it wasn't anything special. Came nowhere close to living up to the Cheers legacy, but I respect it for doing its own thing. 11 seasons seemed like too long, and Kelsey Grammer had to be going insane after 20 straight years of playing Frasier  Crane.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: July 14, 2013, 12:30:11 AM »
I just finished up the last of King of the Hill.  Bought 1-6 on DVD some time ago.  Since FOX hates me and won't release 7-13, and since we recently got Netflix for Arrested Development and my wife won't let me cancel it, I figured now would be a good time to finish it.

It's sad that shows like Family Guy and such continue on, while King of the Hill is dead. :(

Now to determine what I want to go on to next...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: July 14, 2013, 12:34:39 PM »
It's sad that shows like Family Guy and such continue on, while King of the Hill is dead. :(

Why would anyone want biting middle class satire when they could have nonsensical skits coming at them rapid fire? Oh yeah, people are fucking stupid. :(
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: July 14, 2013, 01:47:19 PM »
i actually enjoy american dad... king of the hill always seemed so slow to me and with family guy the skits were a nice change of pace until they were just overdone. american dad just seems like a much more well developed show then family guy.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: July 14, 2013, 02:49:39 PM »
The funny thing is, I don't *hate* Family Guy - and I'll watch the new episodes... but KotH was pure awesome.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: July 15, 2013, 04:41:42 AM »
I just finished a two-day-ish marathon of TRON: Uprising.  Good series.  Hope it gets some kind of resolution.  Probably won't.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: July 15, 2013, 09:26:11 AM »
I just finished a two-day-ish marathon of TRON: Uprising.  Good series.  Hope it gets some kind of resolution.  Probably won't.
Yeah, I talked about it on NFR 18 I believe.  I did the same thing.  Marathoned it in 2 days or so.  Its amazing how fickle public opinion is in that show.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: July 15, 2013, 09:32:38 AM »
I liked Beware the Batman.

Action felt good and very Nolan-esque. He broke the shoulder and then "fixed" it by slamming into the car.

Alfred looks like a british thug is a drastic change but i kinda like it.

I'll be talking a bit about that first episode on NFR 20, but overall I'm kind of surprised at how much I didn't hate that episode, given how bad the trailers for this show have been. I really don't like Alfred's character design or his cockney accent and Batman's character design is just...weird, but overall it was a decent episode with some decent action.  It looks like the move to CG is going to give the show the same problems the new TMNT has, where apparently NO ONE lives in Gotham City because the streets are completely empty.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: July 15, 2013, 09:35:40 AM »
It looks like the move to CG is going to give the show the same problems the new TMNT has, where apparently NO ONE lives in Gotham City because the streets are completely empty.
Which I really don't understand.  I mean seriously how hard is it to make a couple male, female, adult, child, etc. models to use as props.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: July 16, 2013, 12:49:27 AM »
My Fringe Binge is over. The series is complete.

Long story short: s1, s2, s3, stop.
s4 is an almost complete reset of the show up to that point
s5 is marginally better, but so many things just seemed to be not as well thought out as the rest of the show (& it's only 13 episodes). But things tend to become a complicated mess then you start involving time travel

Overall I enjoyed the show, one of the better Sci-fi shows I've sat through. I just wish it had better ratings and could have carried on the quality that was s2 & s3 into many more seasons going forward.

I really loved the theoretical sciencey nature of the show, definitely a nice change from the alien "invasion" of X-Files. But I still don't understand why there wasn't more of a technology, idea & crop (coffee bean) swap with the alternate universe. we could have gained super regeneration tech & powerful weapons, and they could have had coffee and helicopters.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: July 20, 2013, 09:26:46 PM »
So I'm not exactly watching it, but Big Bang Theory has been on my TV for that past couple of hours...and I don't get how anyone would ever think this show is funny. It is not. At all.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: July 20, 2013, 10:32:52 PM »
Today's episode of Beware the Batman with Magpie as the villain was quite good. This series is showing some promise.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2296 on: July 21, 2013, 01:20:31 AM »
So I'm not exactly watching it, but Big Bang Theory has been on my TV for that past couple of hours...and I don't get how anyone would ever think this show is funny. It is not. At all.

Because it IS funny, vastly superior to the pile or turn known as Community. I'm baffled how you are in the minority in not thinking it is funny.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: July 21, 2013, 01:27:30 AM »

Agreed.  But consider its target demographic.  LCD, man.  LCD.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: July 21, 2013, 01:43:45 AM »

Because it IS funny, vastly superior to the pile or turn known as Community. I'm baffled how you are in the minority in not thinking it is funny.

Bahaha, the majority of the internet hates that show.

Plus, the writers are assholes. Did you see their Comic-con panel before the legend of korra one? Complete douchebaggery and cockiness.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: July 21, 2013, 01:51:23 AM »

Your opinon means nothing because you are TJ Spyke because I said so.