Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199154 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #1775 on: November 28, 2011, 08:53:52 PM »
Walking Dead....

Why can't every episode be like that one?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: November 28, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
I was thinking the same thing.

I was almost ready to just catch up on that show later too, but they finally picked things up and made some damn progress.

I didn't watch the preview for the next episode, but what do you think is gonna happen next?
(no preview or comic book spoilers please)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: November 28, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
Walking Dead....

Why can't every episode be like that one?

Indeed.  I just finished watching it.  Stuff finally happens, after what...7-8 episodes now?  How appropriate that the episode is titled "Pretty much Dead Already", because that's what this show has become for me.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: November 28, 2011, 09:05:04 PM »

I was thinking the same thing.

I was almost ready to just catch up on that show later too, but they finally picked things up and made some damn progress.

I didn't watch the preview for the next episode, but what do you think is gonna happen next?
(no preview or comic book spoilers please)

Don't care as long as more walkers die and people keep pointing guns at each other.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: November 28, 2011, 09:07:38 PM »
well there's finally pea soup like tension between people. They took way too long to get where they are now though. They could have done it in 3 episodes. If all future episodes remain like this then im in.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: November 28, 2011, 09:51:30 PM »
BSG

Why does no one think this doctor guy is BATSHIT CRAZY INSANE!? LOL

they catch him in "day dream" situations all the time where he is talking to himself and doing something that looks very peculiar when taken out of context (as that is the only way everyone else can take it). Just figured there would be some gossip or something about his odd behavior in the inner circles. I know that they have mentioned it, but there should be more talk about it as he is doing it all the time.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: November 28, 2011, 09:59:11 PM »
He's not batshit insane, he's just dry humping his swivel chair. I wouldn't think too much into it since it leads to nothing. Those scenes have only one purpose, it's to have Tracia Helfer dry hump the life out of something. The implications are obvious. It's a sexy red herring.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: November 28, 2011, 10:04:03 PM »
I don't even think she is attractive.... but them ore they keep forcing her on me in skimpy outfits acting all provocative... she is starting to get a little sexy.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1783 on: November 28, 2011, 10:42:50 PM »
Tricia Helfer is attractive due to the Law of One Woman On the Show:

If there's only one female lead on a TV show or in a movie, you will start to think she's attractive because there's absolutely nobody else to compare her to. In Battlestar Galactica's case, Helfer is competing with Starbuck, who herself is no prom queen. Between the two of them. Helfer is the more attractive woman.

But that ain't sayin' much. Eat a sammich, Tricia.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: November 28, 2011, 11:04:53 PM »
Tricia Helfer is attractive due to the Law of One Woman On the Show:

If there's only one female lead on a TV show or in a movie, you will start to think she's attractive because there's absolutely nobody else to compare her to. In Battlestar Galactica's case, Helfer is competing with Starbuck, who herself is no prom queen. Between the two of them. Helfer is the more attractive woman.

But that ain't sayin' much. Eat a sammich, Tricia.

Don't forget Boomer, though, who I always thought was the most attractive lady on the show.  You do see way too much of her, though, as the series goes on.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: November 28, 2011, 11:12:06 PM »
I was gonna watch the whole thing anyway as long as i didn't lose interest.

But should I watch Caprica too?

I've seen all of Caprica, and it's just a total mess.  I wouldn't bother with the series, as it's another show about a bunch of unlikeable characters trying to screw each other over.  The show tries desperately in the final episode to tie better into Battlestar Galactica, but if you've seen the backstory told in BSG you'll know that the two just don't mesh.  The show got canceled after one season for good reason: it's terrible.

to be fair it got cancelled in the middle of the season pretty abruptly  so they had to cram everything in one episode. I liked Caprica after they stopped with the shitty cylon/A.I arc but by then it was like 10 eps in. If BnM lost interest in BSG after season 3 i dont think he'll like this.

as for BSG it was awesome, but the cylon dialogue made me cringe big time. Also the mutiny arc in the middle of season 4 was freaking amazing
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:18:02 PM by Lithium »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: November 28, 2011, 11:15:10 PM »
I just finished ep 7 of s1

the one where Star Buck recovers the Cylon Ship

So I'm not anywhere near s3 yet, but if it holds my interest all the way through, I might check out Caprica just to cap the entire series off and put it to bed.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: December 04, 2011, 11:04:40 PM »
Supernatural

Bobby.... :'(
month long cliff hanger episode too.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: December 05, 2011, 01:04:19 AM »
BoardWalk Empire....

Tonights episode was like I a car accident...I couldn't look away no matter how horrifying parts of it were. Easily one of the better episodes of the season. I don't know how many episodes are left, but as usual motives are well explained, characters are well-rounded, and everything is coming to a head.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: December 06, 2011, 10:31:27 PM »
Well, a couple of mid-season report cards (Thundercats and Iron Man: AA are both on mid-season hiatus now):

Thundercats - This show started out really strong with one of the best animated series pilots I've ever seen.  Unfortunately, while I think the show overall has been very solid, it's definitely had some peaks and valleys, and it never has approached the high quality of the pilot since.  It's also prone to getting sidetracked with standalone episodes featuring a new Third Earth creature, which won't make any sense to people who never saw the original Thundercats.  Sure, I had fun seeing a new incarnation of the Berbils; the village of the swordsmen; or the Miyazaki-esque Petalars, but people who signed onto this show because of the pilot may wonder what the point of it all is and when we were going to get back to Mum-Ra; the Book of Omens; and the Magic Stones.

I still think this is the best animated show on television right now (how the Annie's overlooked this show in favor of the pilot for the mediocre Green Lantern show, I can't fathom).  But it needs to be much more consistent in telling its overarching story.  I have a feeling that the creators are holding back on using Mum-Ra because he was so overused in the original series, but I think they've held back too much.  This Mum-Ra doesn't seem particularly involved with the affairs of this show, and I think it hurts the story's believability. 

There was also way too much of a focus on Lion-O in these first 13 episodes, often "teaching" him the same "lessons" every episode.  It got tedious.  We still don't know much about the Thunderkittens, Panthro is cool but pretty much one-note so far, it's hard to get a read on Tigra since he rarely has much to do, and Cheetara is a walking Cock-tease.  There's been way too much focus on the Love Triangle between Lion-O; Tigra; and Cheetara, though hopefully the end of episode 13 changes that.

Overall, a good show that hasn't quite lived up to the "great show" promised in the pilot, but it's still very enjoyable and far better than the original 80s Thundercats.  A-

Iron Man: Armored Adventures (Season 2) - Yes, this show still exists.  This season has been pretty solid, in that I can't say there's a "bad" episode this season, but it has been pretty weird at times (the episode where the Goth girl sets up improbable SAW-style death traps everywhere comes to mind).  The overarching story involving the theft of the Iron Man designs to Justin Hammer and Obediah Stane (thus creating Titanium Man and Iron Monger) has just gotten dull since every episode is basically the same as the one before it.  The new Iron Man 2.0 is pretty cool-looking, though.  They really need to update that intro with new footage.

The creators have promised more appearances by more-beloved Marvel appearances like the X-Men and Fantastic Four, so there is hope yet for a more interesting series of stories this season.  My big complaint with this show is that it isn't as fun to watch as it needs to be, considering it's probably right on the verge of cancelation.  Still, Nickelodeon could do worse than this show. B

Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Season 4) - I really don't care anymore.  I lost interest in this show early on this season with a series of really lackluster episodes, so I have something like 6-7 episodes to catch up on and I just can't muster up the willingness to care.  I'll probably catch up on it when the season's over. C-
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 12:53:55 AM by broodwars »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: December 06, 2011, 10:37:50 PM »
Now that that's out of the way, a couple of days ago I was at my folks' house and spotted an old DVD set of the Aaron Sorkin TV series Sports Night just discarded on the floor.  I'm a big fan of the West Wing despite its politics (though as far as I'm concerned that abomination known as Studio 60 doesn't exist) so I borrowed it, and so I've been watching the first season.

So far, I like the show.  The characters are engaging to watch, even if several of them were flat-out copied by The West Wing (including the same actors).  The actual concept of the show was pretty much ripped-off by Sorkin's later Studio 60.  The pilot is also eerily similar to the first episode of the West Wing, in that a large aspect of it is the drama over one of the main cast potentially being fired.  The show has a nice flow to it, I think the 22-minute running time keeps the stories from becoming too bloated, and the show is really well-cast.  Outside basketball, I dislike sports, but that's ok because this series is barely about it.

My only real complaints about the show so far are that the comedy isn't as smart and funny as The West Wing's, and the constant shipping between two of the leads is flat-out annoying.  Dana isn't even that attractive or even likeable in some instances, and yet I'm supposed to care whether she hooks up with Casey?  They need to either hook up or the show needs to drop this storyline, because it's just not entertaining to watch.  Otherwise, it's fun.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: December 06, 2011, 10:47:40 PM »

Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Season 4) - I really don't care anymore.  I lost interest in this show early on this series with a series of really lackluster episodes, so I have something like 6-7 episodes to catch up on and I just can't muster up the willingness to care.  I'll probably catch up on it when the season's over. C-

I am so over anything to do with the Clone Wars.  Everything is Anakin this and Obi-wan that.  Why can't they give us something set after the movies.  Or something set WAY back like in the KOTOR days?  (Come to think of it, I think Bioware should immediately stop making games and focus exclusively on Star Wars cutscenes.  Those cinematics for The Old Republic are nothing less than magnificent) I'm reading the latest Fate of the Jedi series of books, and this stuff is really interesting.  Why can't we have something like that?   

Give the Clone Wars era a rest.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: December 06, 2011, 11:00:41 PM »
I am so over anything to do with the Clone Wars.  Everything is Anakin this and Obi-wan that.  Why can't they give us something set after the movies.  Or something set WAY back like in the KOTOR days?  (Come to think of it, I think Bioware should immediately stop making games and focus exclusively on Star Wars cutscenes.  Those cinematics for The Old Republic are nothing less than magnificent) I'm reading the latest Fate of the Jedi series of books, and this stuff is really interesting.  Why can't we have something like that?   

Give the Clone Wars era a rest.

What really disappoints me about Clone Wars is that that show's second season was excellent.  It was bold, daring to do things that animated shows just don't do, like having Anakin torture an enemy for information or show the Separatists electrocuting a prisoner to death onscreen.  The show looked like it was going to tell some really engaging stories set in this time period, maybe give us a much grittier side of this war that the movies just didn't do.

Then Season 3 came, and the show seemed to get toned down and pointlessness ensued ("poisoned tea", anyone?).  The writing got sloppy.  Then Season 4 came, and we literally have two episodes devoted to an homage to the old Droids cartoon; incredibly lame underwater fights; and more episodes focused on Clone Troopers we just don't care about.

I wonder if Lucas had an "upend the tea table" moment with the creators of Clone Wars after Season 2 because of how dark/seedy and interesting it got.  They couldn't upstage the prequels, of course!  So the show got toned down and excessively padded so that it could be extended to 5 seasons until the new Live Action Star Wars series allegedly starts.  Ugh, what wasted potential.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: December 06, 2011, 11:03:13 PM »
Last I heard this live action show was about bounty hunters or something.  Is that true?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: December 06, 2011, 11:10:56 PM »
I like Sports Night, though now that I think about it I don't believe I finished it. I was watching it via Netflix (discs, not instant) a while back, but I'm pretty sure I got sidetracked onto something else and never went back. It's available for streaming on Netflix now, so I should go back and watch the rest of it.

Also, why isn't The West Wing on Netflix streaming? Sports Night and Studio 60 both are, and it seems like most other NBC shows are there as well.

And speaking of Aaron Sorkin, I am hugely excited for his new show. It's on HBO, which is always a good sign, and it seems similar to Sports Night in that it's behind the scenes at a TV show, except this time it's a news show.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: December 06, 2011, 11:23:26 PM »
Last I heard this live action show was about bounty hunters or something.  Is that true?

Something like that, last time I heard.  Expect Lucas to screw it up somehow, much like how Retro Studios was never allowed to make Samus Aran an actual bounty hunter in the Prime games despite that being her title.

And speaking of Aaron Sorkin, I am hugely excited for his new show. It's on HBO, which is always a good sign, and it seems similar to Sports Night in that it's behind the scenes at a TV show, except this time it's a news show.

Oh come on.  Is he really recycling his Sports Night idea again?  I love the guy's writing, but we've now had shows from him about:

1. Behind-the-scenes of a sports show.
2. Behind-the-scenes of the White House.
3. Behind-the-scenes of a painfully unfunny Saturday Night Live-style comedy show.

Do we really need to add...

4.  Behind-the-scenes of a news show.

...to the list?  Well, hopefully it'll be more like The West Wing and Sports Night, and less like Studio 60.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: December 06, 2011, 11:27:39 PM »
Probably Boba Fett's life story or something like that.  Whatever it will be, it will be something that will be merchandise friendly.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: December 06, 2011, 11:35:32 PM »

Oh come on.  Is he really recycling his Sports Night idea again?  I love the guy's writing, but we've now had shows from him about:

1. Behind-the-scenes of a sports show.
2. Behind-the-scenes of the White House.
3. Behind-the-scenes of a painfully unfunny Saturday Night Live-style comedy show.

Do we really need to add...

4.  Behind-the-scenes of a news show.

...to the list?  Well, hopefully it'll be more like The West Wing and Sports Night, and less like Studio 60.

Well Sports Night got prematurely canceled and Studio 60 was just a strange choice of backdrop given what they tried to do with it, so he's never really been able to get into a groove with his "behind the scenes of a TV show" premise. The West Wing was something else entirely.

I think HBO is a good fit for his style; I love The West Wing, but I have no idea how it lasted seven seasons on a broadcast network. Though if you weren't a fan of The West Wing's politics you may not like this show, as it's supposedly about a cable news pundit kind of show (the kind of thing Colbert is satirizing).
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: December 06, 2011, 11:39:16 PM »
Probably Boba Fett's life story or something like that.  Whatever it will be, it will be something that will be merchandise friendly.

Yeah, I could see Lucas doing a Young Indiana Jones-style show with a young Attack of the Clones-era Boba Fett.

I'm really getting sick of the prequel era.  It's like I was really excited to see that Disney & Lucas were rebuilding the Star Tours ride at MGM and Disneyland with a new experience and new footage.  Then I saw that the new ride took place largely within the Prequel timeline, and Facepalms ensued.

Though if you weren't a fan of The West Wing's politics you may not like this show, as it's supposedly about a cable news pundit kind of show (the kind of thing Colbert is satirizing).

I think the real credit to the West Wing is that the show rises above Sorkin's politics.  It's obvious which side of the various arguments he believes in, but at least the show has the decency to provide both sides to a given situation without insulting either.  I'm a conservative, and the West Wing is one of my favorite TV shows of all time due to its writing and characters.  It's honest about where it stands, but at least it's fair.  If the new show does its audience the same courtesy, I won't have a problem with it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 11:49:47 PM by broodwars »

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: December 07, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
Curb Your Enthusiasm s4e1

To put it mildly, I looooove this show. I saw the first four seasons a few years ago as they were coming out on DVD but I had forgotten just how awesome it is. It might take you a while to get past some of the awkward/painful moments of the show, but once you do and accept Larry for the wonderful bastard that he is, it's gravy. I've rewatched the first 31 episodes and every one of them has been awesome. I want to be Larry David when I grow up.