Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1198979 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #1700 on: November 03, 2011, 12:56:17 PM »
There was a dinosaur in the last one for about 15 seconds (literally... I'm not joking)

2-3 seconds in the beginning when it killed someone, again for about 5-7 seconds when they hunted it down and then again for about 4-5 seconds at the end when a baby one hatched.

At this point I'm still tuning in just to see how they explain the communication with the future.
I'm still not sure why the murder was setup(maybe I missed a detail... my attention was very divided while "watching" that show) so maybe someone can catch me up on that.

Also whatever happened to the Commander's son? the one that was writing mathematical messages on the rocks?
Seems like such a random thing to bring up only to never really mention it again up to this point.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1701 on: November 03, 2011, 05:33:57 PM »
They are setting up future plotlines, so not everything is explained right away.
The murder really happened, they just set up the one guy to confess to basically make the real killer lower his guard.

Not every episode will feature a lot of dinosaurs, this was more about the characters.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: November 03, 2011, 06:04:17 PM »
They are setting up future plotlines, so not everything is explained right away.

Not every episode will feature a lot of dinosaurs, this was more about the characters.

See, I saw these exact same excuses being used for Lost, and Lost turned out to be total **** by the end.  I'm not falling for this same stunt twice.  You have compelling content from the beginning and maintain that, or I stop watching.  I just don't have the patience to endure another Lost-type situation.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: November 03, 2011, 07:54:53 PM »
Holy hell, I just saw the infamous episode of Top Gear goes to America. It was funny through out, but WTF America, ****, you guys have issues. I know it's TV and they were taking the Mickey out of you at every opportunity, but America had to be the worse country they had visited up to that point. Mind you I haven't seen the Iraq episode which I hear could be worse.

Top Gear, as always, in Top Gear.

Which trip to America?  I think there have been three, but from your reaction I'm guessing you saw the one where they drove used cars through the Deep South and ended up in New Orleans?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: November 03, 2011, 08:46:15 PM »
The murder really happened, they just set up the one guy to confess to basically make the real killer lower his guard.

No. I understand why the fake out on the arrest, I didn't understand the motivation for the murder in the first place.
Why did one soldier murder the other? That's the explanation I seek.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: November 03, 2011, 10:46:15 PM »
Because soldiers are specifically programmed to murder other soldiers? :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: November 04, 2011, 12:25:31 AM »
Ending of Community was great tonite.

best laugh the show has gotten out of me all season... probably the entire series actually.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1707 on: November 04, 2011, 01:12:21 AM »
Parks & Rec tonight: Okay, not great.

Modern Family last night: Are Jennifer Tilly's breasts larger than Sofia Vergara's? They were struggling for release.

Happy Endings last night: I love this show so much.

Bones tonight: I didn't know how I'd feel about Bones being preggers, but so far I'm okay with it.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: November 04, 2011, 11:58:30 AM »
yeah, i like how the camera kept panning between Tilly and Vergara, no way all 4 of those would fit on camera.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: November 04, 2011, 12:12:35 PM »
yeah, i like how the camera kept panning between Tilly and Vergara, no way all 4 of those would fit on camera.

Not at current TV resolutions. All the more reason to push for 4k TV's. and with autostereoscopic3D ontop of that.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: November 04, 2011, 05:38:56 PM »
Started watching The League, and I love it so far.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1711 on: November 05, 2011, 01:07:49 PM »
Because soldiers are specifically programmed to murder other soldiers? :P

I think you could ask that about a lot of real life murders, where you don't know why they did it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: November 05, 2011, 11:46:16 PM »
I was gonna go out tonite, but there yet another mini-quake and it was pouring for a while and it's soaking wet out now. So I decided to check out a new show per Netflix recommendation.

The Gates (ABC - 2010 - 1 season)

I watched the first episode. So far so good.
It's about a prestigious gated community with residents that reside there due to the level of privacy that the community provides from the rest of the outside world.
Turns out there are Vampires, Werewolves and Witches in The Gates and all of them so far (well, the female Vamp and the Witches... especially the female Vamp) are pretty damn hot.
Anyway, new Sheriff comes to town to take over for the old Sheriff that retired, and immediately he gets suspicious of some of the residence in the community.

I don't want to give too much away, but so far I'm into it. Too bad it didn't get picked up for a second season, but I have a feeling that if it had debuted this year instead, it would have done pretty well.

edit:
4 episodes in and I'm really liking this show.
A nice amount of residents within have secrets that they wish to remain that way and the new sheriff in town has a knack for knowing when something just ain't right and likes to dig until he figures out why.
One of the Netflix user reviews said Vampire Diaries is for teens, The Gates is for Adults.
I've never seen an episode of Vamp Diaries outside of the pilot ep, so I can't confirm that comparison, but if someone was looking for a Supernatural Drama, this show (so far) would be on that recommendation list.

edit2: The Sheriff's wife is sooooo damn cute/hot

There is not a woman on this show that wouldn't get it.
Sheriff's Wife & Vamp Wife just happen to be at the top of the list.

edit3: I finished the whole series vaderNoooOOOOoOOo.jpg
fucking cliffhanger. I want more.
Why did this show not make the cut?
In the end it made me think True Blood meets The 4400. I'm not sure exactly why it kept making me thinking The 4400, but I think it was more the way the story progressed. Normal guy having to deal with ever escalating drama between people that were far from normal.

A more direct comparison would be True Blood meets Eureka meets Desperate Howsewives... even though I've never watched Desperate Housewives, it kinda has that type of vibe going for it. But don't let that scare you off, this show is GOOD, it just contains lots of Hot Women Drama mixed with a whole lot of Supernatural Drama and a bunch of Crime Drama.

Good show, shame it didn't continue. I hope someone picks this up to fill a gap in their schedule.
Maybe the CW will wise up and get it since this is the last year of Supernatural and it will leave a gaping whole in their already lacking schedule.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 01:41:48 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: November 07, 2011, 08:28:02 PM »
Has anyone been watching Homeland on Showtime?

Good show.

POW captured in Iraq and held captive for 8 years finally gets released and sent home.
One of the Agents abroad gets a tip that a US soldier has been turned from an Iraqi prisoner and now she is hell bent on proving that the just released U.S. soldier is that turned terrorist double agent. She is a little crazy and willing to bend/break some rules to get it done, but it's not gonna be as easy as she originally though it was gonna be.

Episode 6 just aired last nite (Sundays @ 10pm)
so you got some catching up to do.

Easily one of the best new dramas of this year

--------------Another interesting show from this year?---------------

American Horror Story

Have I recommended this one yet?
[fake edit: it appears I already did]

I am enjoying this show too. It's doing good in the ratings and already got picked up for a second season. So if you are looking for another show to watch, I would check this one out.

------------Hmmmm anything else....?------------

Pan Am
has been pretty decent. But I commented on that a few days ago.

The Walking Dead
....major side boobage this week and a possible nip shot, but I didn't rewind to confirm. Well Zombie scene was beyond stupid and in the end pointless, but it was also extremely gory at the end, so I guess it gets a pa.... no, **** that. The idea was stupid. Nobody was gonna drink from a well that a zombie has been marinading in for a few days. There is no point in risking one of your men to retrieve the zombie from the well. There were other wells to drink from.

Once Upon a Time
Fairytale land has been sent to the real world where they can't leave their town and have no idea of who they really are. Can Dr. Cameron from House save the town and restore the fairytales back to their fairytale lives?

My girl is sort of into this one, but it's not bad. I'll let you know if it gets good. You will never hear about it again if it gets worse.

Dexter
A definite improvement over last season, but that's setting the bar pretty damn low.
La Guerta's voice is just jarring to me now, but atleast Bautista is a likable character again.
I actually tell the TV to just shut up and stop talking everytime La Guerta comes on screen. Very annoyed with her for some reason.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1714 on: November 07, 2011, 10:19:17 PM »
I've never liuked LaGuerta.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: November 07, 2011, 11:12:37 PM »
In the books Dexter kills her, but I don't mind her because she's supposed to be a dislikeable character to give balance.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: November 08, 2011, 10:49:21 AM »
In the books Dexter kills her, but I don't mind her because she's supposed to be a dislikeable character to give balance.
Seriously.  I might actually read the books now.

Because of BnM, My Wife and I have been watching The Gates.  So far this show has taught me that Women are the cause of all problems.  Every problem in the show can be traced back to a women so far.  I'm 3 episodes in.  I honestly thought I had watched more.  A lot is going on.  Talking about shows with a lot going on.

My son and I have about 4 more episodes to finish up Eon Kid.  At this point I'm fairly sure they knew the show was going to be finished because they could have easilly expanded a lot of sections this last few episodes.  I'm hoping for a clean resolution.  This series really is a very long Movie and pretty good.

Just started Better Off Ted.  I'm really enjoying it.  Its how I imagine a documentary on Aperture Science would be.  Shame I kept blowing it off when it was on.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 10:57:08 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: November 08, 2011, 03:34:52 PM »
Walking Dead sucks. It's so boring and emotional. If I were in a Zombie Apocalypse, and God willing I will be, I would go Zombieland on them undead sons of bitches. Banjo and everything.

Dexter is getting better. It was kinda flat-lining till the last episode. It's a shame that Mos Def is dead though.

Boardwalk Empire was kinda flat-lining as well till the last episode as well. The feud is going to reach a fevered pitch now.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: November 08, 2011, 07:06:21 PM »
Walking Dead sucks. It's so boring and emotional. If I were in a Zombie Apocalypse, and God willing I will be, I would go Zombieland on them undead sons of bitches. Banjo and everything.

It is starting to feel that way. They have so much material to work with, and instead they're lingering on these absurd character interactions. It could work if more of the characters were actually likable. You don't survive society's downfall by bickering with a ragtag group... you survive by killing just about everyone in your path.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: November 08, 2011, 07:23:48 PM »
The excruciatingly slow pacing of The Walking Dead is really starting to get on my nerves.  I didn't read the comics and I'm not going to read the comics, so I really don't care whether it sticks to the story of the comics or not.  I just know that the folks behind the show knew they only had 6 episodes to work with in that first season, so each episode of that show was just packed with things to keep you interested.  They didn't have time to just screw around like they're doing this season.

Unfortunately, because they have so many more episodes now and they already know they're getting a 3rd season, they're just throwing away the story potential of entire episodes now to focus on characters just sitting around bickering.  For instance, this whole business with Sophia should have been resolved in 1 or 2 episodes, but they've somehow managed to drag it out through four with no end in sight.  It's time for these characters to move on and show us more of this world, because this is getting pretty boring.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: November 08, 2011, 08:51:21 PM »
The first season was good.  It stuns to hear this is becoming like most Zombie series.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: November 09, 2011, 12:09:28 AM »
I finished watching the Dresden Files.

It was alright, but it just seemed like every episode they would make up some new magic **** for him to deal with that was sometimes very weird.  Between this random magic stuff and his potions, it all just seemed kinda inconsistent. But just as I was starting to really get into it, it was over. I guess it was cancelled, but what I found kinda funny was that the lead actor Dresden was a character on the show The Gates that I had just watched before it.

In The Gates, the new sheriff had just left Chicago to work at this gated community called the Gates. In the Dresden Files, it took place in Chicago and happened a few years before The Gates. Both shows dealt with magic and supernatural beings like Vampires. Just a funny coincidence.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: November 09, 2011, 08:43:29 AM »
House - The show that should have ended a few years back. Hugh Laurie is still great and Wilson is a perfect balance but i don't get the feeling this show has an idea how it's going to end.

American Dad - Now that Family Guy's decline is terminal, (see the clusterfuck that was sunday's episode) AD really shines now by having such a varied and crazy mix of characters that will do crazy and varied things. Principal Lewis is a riot.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: November 15, 2011, 03:14:51 PM »
Claymore (Anime)

I remember someone here reviewing this show. Was it you, BlacknMild?

Anyway, I finished the whole series in less than a week. I gotta say, I was quite impressed with it all. It didn't pick up until the Teresa episodes, but after that, it flew. It's unfortunate that those are the best episodes though. They set up the revenge plot and give the story structure. It also featured the best action up to that point (and unfortunately of the entire series...yes, even better than the Silver-eyed Lion King).

After that, it got a little nonsensical. Why wouldn't the top fighters just hunt down the half-awakened ala what they did with Teresa? Why give them a chance to unite, a chance to figure out how to hone their new found skill? Regardless of that point, I still like the progression through the story. It's always nice to see the hero get her ass kicked several times. And just like any good adventure, she becomes stronger. It's a damn shame that Ophelia died though. She was easily my favorite character.

Then the ending happened and it sucked. I'm not talking about the cliffhanger ending. I'm talking about the major battle that ended in a whimper. I would have allowed Clare to kill the **** out of Priscilla, then realize that she doesn't feel any better and that she's awakened too far even for the technique she used on that one twisty arm chick. It's in this moment she repents and asks for Teresa forgiveness saying that she should have accepted her gift to "Be Human." That's when she asks one of her teammates to behead her so she doesn't become a monster. None of them can bring themselves to do it or when they try, she fucks them up. So she uses her strength of will to do it herself. She stabs herself in the heart, but instead of dying, her self-sacrifice turns her into a Goddess which is what I thought was going to happen the entire fucking time!

They built that up so much that I was so let down when it didn't happen. The setup was there. I mean, how many times can you flashback in the final scene? They did it to a ridiculous degree but I thought it was setting up the dichotomy between Priscilla and Clare. Priscilla went bat-**** crazy and lost her mind when revenge took her. She became the Angel of Death. Clare was about to do the same, so yeah...the setup was there. /rant

Anyway, despite the bad ending, some extremely annoying characters (ROCKY STOP FUCKING CRYING) and nonsensical story beats, I actually liked it. Though mostly because I think it could be a great blockbuster movie. Every fight, every twist, I kept envisioning an awesome live-action movie. Think about it; it has everything. It would be '300' except with an army of hot chicks. Decapitation, Demons, and an army of dope chicks; it's got it all.

No review score, instead these are my faces during the series from beginning to end.

:Q :) ;D ::) :D :confused; :@
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 03:19:07 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: November 15, 2011, 04:44:08 PM »
I dont know why Walking Dead retains its slow zombie like pace. Don't avoid the comic series because of the show. The comic book series has a much faster pace. When I was reading it years ago, it was when Dexter first came out. I had thought they could work them into a movie, but then I thought it would be better as a mini series. Then I thought it would be great as a Premium channel show. Now its on cable, and whats in it? Filler. Filler. Filler. They are adding so much stuff that they'll never get to the real guts of the show. Not to mention 25 minutes of the show are commercial. If only the show had a full 60 minutes uninterrupted to work with they could fit 2 episodes in without stupid commercial break cliffhangers.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post