Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199047 times)

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #1650 on: October 10, 2011, 01:09:14 PM »
I just finished Louie S1 on Netflix, what a devastating, dark, brilliant show.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: October 10, 2011, 04:56:42 PM »
HOLYSH!T @ Breaking Bad

I have a new avatar for Halloween but I'm not gonna start using it yet because it is VERY spoilerish.

Those that have seen the episode know what I'm talking about. So if you haven't seen Breaking bad yet, you have 1 week to catch up before I ruin it for you.
unless heavily request not to use spoilertar

Fucking gruesome.
Now i need to go back and see how many my predictions came true (I'm gonna guess that it was most if not all of it)

Spoiler Teaser Hint:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPYese-Hl8M#t=27s
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 05:13:37 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: October 10, 2011, 09:56:04 PM »
lol I already know what the halloween avatar is, i like how Gus just walked out of the door and adjusted his tie, that man is a straight up gangster to the bone.

edit: here BnM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r259/theultimateperm/horroravatars/gus.jpg

and an animated one!
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r259/theultimateperm/horroravatars/gus1.gif

edit: brighter version
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r259/theultimateperm/horroravatars/gus3.gif
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 10:50:08 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: October 11, 2011, 12:16:39 AM »
Dexter....

Finally, it starts to get interesting. I could give a **** about office politics or the asian dude being a perv (though I did laugh a couple times). We finally have an interesting character and the fact that he's played by Mos Def makes it even better. The whole issue of God and Religion was getting boring until now.

The main villain this season is probably the worst actor I've ever seen though. Still, I can't wait to see how he kills again.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: October 12, 2011, 01:47:05 PM »
Normally I wouldn't write up an individual episode on a long running series like NCIS, but this is, in the words of Christoper Walken "This guy is Unfucking Believable".

Now, I don't watch shows like NCIS for it's intelligence, or it's America **** yeah jingoism, but for the absurdity. This particular episode was more absurd than usual which means it's outright asinine. This episode was called Kill Screen. Yes it is that kind of Kill Screen, so it's a computer and gamer episode all wrapped up in one!

The case starts off simple enough, pick pocket pick pocketing until security busts him. (Un)fortunately the purse he just nabbed contains finger tips and teeth. The team quickly ID the remains and just as quickly conclude the guy is already dead. A little later local police find his remains and they discover he is also a feet "taller" than he should be. They learn nothing from him besides knowing he was horrifically tortured and killed.

McGee the resident tech head has been having issues with his computer which quickly draws the attention of an agent from another alphabet soup agency who implies McGee is hack his own computers for classified information. McGee has actually done this before, but no one has ever given him **** about it.

So the team goes off chasing down the dead guy's relations. They zero in on one of his ex-girlfriends who was now using a dead mans credit card. It turns out she is some hot gamer chick so everyone passes her on to McGee, because you know, he is one of those people. The chick goes on about how awesome of a gamer she is and how she has the HIGH SCORE on a DOZEN MMORPGs. I leave it to you as to how "Unfucking believable" this is. they suffer a drive by shooting almost immediately after the gamer girl shows McGee the kill screen she ran into in one of her MMORPGs.

The kill screen contains some sort of encrypted code and no one can make heads or tails of it initially, but they very quickly find a money trail to an arms dealer coming out of the game company leading to a programmer who is now missing. Some more bread crumb clues later they find the programmer dead, naturally in some run down building that looks like the insides of a ship. The architecture is all over the place. He has been dead for over half a week with his fingers and teeth gone. They figure the arms dealer didn't do it since he was nowhere near the country at the time so they turn to the only other person in the investigation who might have knowledge of the goings on of this case. They interrogate the agent from the other agency and with a bit of "We have evidence on you trickery" the rogue agent blurts out a confession that he kill those people because they were hacking into the Pentagon and no body else was doing anything about it.

The bad thing is that the first guy he "Enhanced interrogated" and killed had nothing to do with it, the programmer only wrote the tools to hack the Pentagon, didn't use it, meaning he committed no crime and he committed attempted murder on gamer chick who stumbled on the kill screen. So Special Agent Man is 0 - 3. Also the arms dealer having paid for the tools never received it, so he gets out of jail for free. 0 - 4.

Then things get completely FUBAR. The programmer had wrote in a dead man switch in the program he had inserted in the MMORPG which has 15 MILLION users and they all happen to be connected concurrently. It starts hacking the Pentagon with the goal of wiping all data from Americas defence network. McGee ascertains there is a central server controlling all these computers and attempts to back hack. With what could only be described as divination, they figure out where the physical server is. They return to where they found the dead programmer (Way to fucking go clearing the crime scene) and discover a false wall. Gibbs the team leader kicks the wall down setting off every alarm in the building and trapping the two fellow agent following him, leaving him alone. McGee in the process of back hacking finds a real time map of the building the away team is with flashing skulls and triangles. Mcgee's background contains this.

It explodes and has sound effects and everything.

Mcgee now has to guide agent Gibbs through the trap filled maze with a first person camera. He controls Gibbs like a first person shooter with his voice. McGee has a "Revelation" that it's all just a game. This has some very poor results.  Gibbs proceeds to get gassed, almost gets set on fire then blown up while a helpful female voice proclaims in the wrong order which firewall has been breached. Even when Gibbs is flat on his back the gun on the screen never moves. The man has an absolute death grip on his gun. It's practically a skull gun.

Entering the server room they lose video and sound starts breaking down. Gibbs is half deaf from getting blown up. After pulling all the power cords nothing happens, so McGee tells his computer illiterate boss who hates computers to use the UNIX command line. Gibbs obviously having a bad day starts shooting, McGee freaks out. Cut back to Gibbs who has shot up the computers including most of the screens. Then to salt the wound one of the computer fans and screen starts up again exactly where it was before. Gibbs shoots again breaking the final screen, killing it. You see what they did there HAHAHA. Your KILLING ME.

This is some seriously bad TV. It so bad it's bad all the way to it's so bad, it's ironically funny. Unholy ****.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: October 12, 2011, 02:08:42 PM »
That is particularly bad but, using MMO Clients for hacking isn't a bad idea.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: October 12, 2011, 02:22:34 PM »
It would be easier to use and build a normal botnet rather than to to make WoW do distributed computing. Between Q&A, other coders and ever vigilant power users, hiding the code would be near impossible for any lengthy period of time before it tracks back to you.

If you really want to hack something just hire an existing botnet or a commercial cluster. Going through WoW is doing it the hard way.

edit.

I forgot to mention this little gem. When McGee arrive at Gamer Girl's house he quickly spots her computer tower and say "Is that a 12 Core?" GG replies "16 with a 10 Meg pipe, I need the faster response times for the newer online games, there are a lot of people after my high scores."

Mind fucking blown.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 02:30:03 PM by oohhboy »
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: October 12, 2011, 04:33:30 PM »
What does that mean!?

Is that a real thing? 16 Core with a 10Meg Pipe?

I've actually seen that episode too, I think it was also part of a compilation of all the retarded gamer related episodes found on TV somewhere. I'm gonna go look for it.

edit:
Here is the scene you just mentioned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRhGPVYRsOY

edit2:
Here is one from Life on NBC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFfJ4ZC1AtA

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:39:29 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: October 12, 2011, 04:37:18 PM »
NCIS has another real gem of a gamer episode besides this one.  They should just stop.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: October 12, 2011, 04:58:31 PM »
edit2:
Here is one from Life on NBC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFfJ4ZC1AtA

Ugh, I'd heard about that sequence, but I'd never seen it.  Good god, someone was actually paid to write something so wrong on so many levels (pun not intended).  I especially love the "Game over" text they splashed over the screen with references to X # of levels in Prince of Persia: Two Thrones, a game that does not have levels and has a rewind mechanic.  Yeah...

Incidentally, on your recommendation I've started watching The 4400.  I'm on episode 4 of the 5-episode first season, and so far I really like the show.  It has an interesting premise with a mystery I want to see solved, it has likeable characters with situations I want to follow, there's just enough of a mystical hook to the series to keep things interesting, the acting is consistently believable, and it manages to avoid annoyingly-obvious TV tropes that other shows like this haven't.  For instance, there isn't the faintest bit of sexual attraction between the two investigative partners.  They're partners with their own lives outside of work, and that is all.  Man, that's refreshing.

The show could stand to pick up the pace a bit, as some of the episodes so far are a little too ponderous, but so far it's been a pretty good show.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 05:00:16 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: October 12, 2011, 07:20:51 PM »
It get's better, and better all the way up to the climax in s4.

The 4400 is sorta what Heroes was biting off of, but The 4400 was soo much better... as is Alphas (on SyFy).

Once it get's going, you will get into it.
I used to love that show. I wish Netflix would pick it back up and finish it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: October 12, 2011, 08:46:25 PM »
Somehow the lack of a cliffhanger on the Breaking Bad finale is more annoying to me than a cliffhanger would have been. I can't wait for next season, and want to do some crazy speculation, but I don't have anything to base it on.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: October 12, 2011, 09:38:05 PM »
How about knowing that Hank will now he was right about Gus after seeing him dead at the old folks home with a known Cartel member and the fire leading to a giant Meth Lab under his laundry mat.

and then knowing that Hank is on the case now with FULL DEA (I'm sorry, "Dee-ah" is not a complete word... do you want to finish it?) backing, Jessie and Walt have to work together to keep off the radar and make sure they covered up all their tracks. Mike may now come back into the picture to tie up any loose ends that will lead back to anyone alive that was involved.
But will Mike be pissed about Gus dying? or will he just move on since "he has no one left to fight for" or whatever Gus said after killing off the Cartel in Mexico?

now that Jessie is off the hook for the poisoning, he is still gonna want to know what happened to the Ricin Cig, so he is gonna continually bring it up to Walt who will eventually respond with "I took it to Protect You" or something along those lines and then Jessie is gonna put 2 and 2 together to realize that Walt poisoned the kid and played him for a fool.

and since Hank is back on the case with full confidence in himself since he was proven right, he is gonna start questioning some of Walt's weird reactions and strongly suspect that Walt is infact Heisenberg this whole time.

So now we all wonder if Walt & Jessie get back to cooking to make ends meet (gotta pay off Mike for cleaning up this mess... and cutting off his revenue stream) and keep the pipeline going. Not anywhere near the multi-state volume they had before, but Mike knows the ins and outs of the business, so they should still have a supply line intact.

That leads us to assume that next season will most-likely be Jessie & Walt vs Hank/DEA which will eventually lead to Jessie vs Walt vs Hank/DEA

But either way next season is 16 episodes split into two 8 episode arcs over the next 2 years.
So that should give you something to base it on ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 10:01:48 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: October 12, 2011, 09:48:32 PM »
You confused me with the multiple Hank/Walt changes but I understand what you meant. You might be right relationship wise but I think a new comer has to join the scene and I think I know where to find him/her. Who was Gus supplying to? How did they make all that money? Who is going to be fucking pissed to hear Gus gone and his supply of the best meth never to be made again?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: October 12, 2011, 09:52:59 PM »

How about knowing that Hank will now he was right about Gus after seeing him dead at the old folks home with a known Cartel member and the fire leading to a giant Meth Lab under his laundry mat.

and then knowing that Hank is on the case now with FULL DEA (I'm sorry, "Dee-ah" is not a complete word... do you want to finish it?) backing, Jessie and Walt have to work together to keep off the radar and make sure they covered up all their tracks. Mike may now come back into the picture to tie up any loose ends that will lead back to anyone alive that was involved.
But will Mike be pissed about Gus dying? or will he just move on since "he has no one left to fight for" or whatever Gus said after killing off the Cartel in Mexico?

now that Jessie is off the hook for the poisoning, he is still gonna want to know what happened to the Ricin Cig, so he is gonna continually bring it up to Hank who will eventually respond with "I took it to Protect You" or something along those lines and then Jessie is gonna put 2 and 2 together to realize that Hank poisoned the kid and played him for a fool.

and since Hank is back on the case with full confidence in himself since he was proven right, he is gonna start questioning some of Walt's weird reactions and strongly suspect that Walt is infact Heisenberg this whole time.

So now we all wonder if Hank & Jessie get back to cooking to make ends meet (gotta pay off Mike for cleaning up this mess... and cutting off his revenue stream) and keep the pipeline going. Not anywhere near the multi-state volume they had before, but Mike knows the ins and outs of the business, so they should still have a supply line intact.

That leads us to assume that next season will most-likely be Jessie & Walt vs Hank/DEA which will eventually lead to Jessie vs Walt vs Hank/DEA

But either way next season is 16 episodes split into two 8 episode arcs over the next 2 years.
So that should give you something to base it on ;)

Those are all plausible scenarios. I really hope they bring Mike into it again, I love his character. But yeah, going up against Hank and the DEA is definitely where this is heading.

You confused me with the multiple Hank/Walt changes but I understand what you meant. You might be right relationship wise but I think a new comer has to join the scene and I think I know where to find him/her. Who was Gus supplying to? How did they make all that money? Who is going to be fucking pissed to hear Gus gone and his supply of the best meth never to be made again?

That's assuming Gus was actually answering to someone and not merely using his position to facilitate his own scheme, without the knowledge of those above him in the legitimate corporation. And even if there were someone, I think they might be just as likely to stay out of it and go dark because, like BnM said, there will be a massive DEA investigation into the whole operation.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: October 12, 2011, 10:06:02 PM »
I fixed it to end confusion.

but yes, Heisenberg & Jesse going back into business may be a forced decision by big players from the other end of the supply chains forcing them to cook. The thing is that they wouldn't know who Walt and Jesse are since Gus never introduced them to the other end due to competitive reasoning. That would mean that Mike would have to come back into the picture and relay the message... or help them both disappear. Since Mike is "The Cleaner" after all (who I assume would be the same person on the other end of that phone number that Walt never called since he didn't have the money - that will be Mike's entrance call for next season).

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: October 13, 2011, 04:59:28 AM »
people are going to be itching to get some chicken. I had always assumed that maybe they put meth in the chicken to get people addicted, in very small doses and not in every batch. Of course so many people would fail drug tests, so that's less plausible, but they could have gone there.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: October 14, 2011, 10:49:48 AM »
I watched the pilot of Bones. I liked it. Odd choice of music considering one of the main character's quirks is her lack of pop culture knowledge and social awkwardness. Not sure if they were being ironic or just wanted to use those songs.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: October 14, 2011, 11:12:12 AM »
pilot for bones?

where is that?

how long has bones been on the air now?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:18:02 AM by ThePerm »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: October 14, 2011, 11:54:24 AM »
I think Bones is entering its 7th season. My coworker is a huge fan and has been recommending it for a while. I noticed Bones on Netflix the other day and checked it out.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: October 16, 2011, 03:32:14 AM »
Just finished the second season of The 4400, and while the show is still good some problems are starting to pop up, particularly with the writing.  For one thing, the whole concept of the show of why the 4400 were abducted and what they were sent back to prevent reminds me uncomfortably of the very similar (and very poorly handled) "temporal cold war" from Star Trek: Enterprise.  The whole thing is just spectacularly vague, and the fact that only one person on this show even seems to question the motives of the abductors and the logic behind following them is absurd.  I keep waiting for Scott Bakula to stand up and tell the abductors to "go **** off", like he did in Enterprise.  Amusingly, in another Enterprise connection, it looks like this is where Jeffrey Combs went after the show was canceled.  More Jeffrey Combs can only be a good thing.   :D

There's also a very shoddily handled plot element in Tom's new wife, a character literally created by plot contrivance in a single episode just so he would have a wife from here on out.  Words can't even begin to describe how bad an idea this was and how bad the execution for it similarly is.  At least there's a long-awaited payoff with Diana possibly finding herself a future "partner", in a plot thread that's taken 2 seasons to come to fruition.

And oh look...it's Garret Dillahunt playing the same frickin' character with the same complete lack of emotion or expression that he played on Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles.   ::)

Overall, a good season but the writers need to step up their game.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 03:34:26 AM by broodwars »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: October 16, 2011, 01:53:45 PM »
I think season 3 is where things begin to get much more intense with a major push on plot progression.

I don't remember exactly what happened at the end of season three so i'm trying to be extremely vague, but i'm glad you are enjoying it despite it's issues.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: October 18, 2011, 12:12:59 AM »
So The Walking Dead premiered its 2nd season on Sunday night, and I have to ask: did anyone else walk away strangely uninterested by it?  I enjoyed the first season so I was looking forward to this, but something just didn't click with me about this first episode and I'm not quite sure what.  The show was just as gore-y (if not more so) as usual; the acting was just as good as usual; and the episode's situation was as appropriate for the story as usual.

Hmm...maybe it's the characters.  I remember generally finding them an interesting enough bunch last season, but for some strange reason I just don't care about most of them now.  And considering this episode was all about the characters wandering around and bickering at each other while looking for another character I barely know, the episode seemed to go on forever and yet accomplish nothing.

Well, here's hoping this will be a good season, because this show had a lot of promise last year.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: October 18, 2011, 12:36:51 AM »
there were too fucking many commercials is what happened, there would be 3 minutes of show, 5 minutes of commercial, im tempted next week to just do something else while my DVR tapes it. Plus a whole lot of Nothing happened really till the end.  If they can start to veer back into the comics territory then we can get somewhere. Things will be changed just to keep you interested. Also, Tyreese should be coming soon, I had thought T-dog was going to be Tyreese, but Tyreese is a badass and so far T-dog isn't. Theres speculation Keith Allen Hayes will be Tyreese.

edit: or that was a bit of self promotion on the Walking Dead Wiki, Who knows, but **** will get interesting once they introduce some of the newer characters in walking dead, id hate all future episodes to be mundane "searching through parked cars" episodes.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:42:44 AM by ThePerm »

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #1674 on: October 24, 2011, 08:16:51 PM »
Breaking Bad Season 4. ∞/10
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?