Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199193 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #1425 on: July 28, 2011, 03:29:51 PM »
In the Fox Board room

Exec "So Jack is gay"
RTD "No"
Exec "So he's straight"
RTD "No"
Exec "Bi-curious?!"
RTD "No"
Exec "Asexual?!?! TELL ME!!!"
RDT "He is omni-sexual"
Exec *Strokes out*
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: July 28, 2011, 04:58:36 PM »
In the Fox Board room

Exec "So Jack is gay"
RTD "No"
Exec "So he's straight"
RTD "No"
Exec "Bi-curious?!"
RTD "No"
Exec "Asexual?!?! TELL ME!!!"
RDT "He is sexual and maybe too Sexual for you"
Exec *Strokes out*
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: July 28, 2011, 10:08:06 PM »
My only qualms with the series is that I do not think it has longevity. How many lessons can frodo learn before we pay him no attention?

I'm hoping that in later episodes he's putting into practice the things he learned, but will need reminders, and in the new situations he encounters Wilfred will be a constant reminder of his new choices and lifestyle.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1428 on: July 29, 2011, 02:09:26 AM »
Been watching "How I Met Your Mother." Actually, we've seen all the DVD's released now.

The central conceit of the show is getting old. Reveal the damn mother, already. It's otherwise a good show, not great, but Neil Patrick Harris is awesome (loved his "Suit" song) and the rest of the cast, especially Jason Segal, is strong, too. Robin is GORGEOUS but needs to gain some weight and...grow some...you know what I'm gonna say. It's not a show for everybody, but it's definately funny, but in a different way than something like Seinfeld or Modern Family.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1429 on: July 29, 2011, 02:14:58 AM »
HIMYM is one of those shows where I can enjoy it if I watch an episode, but it wouldn't bother me if I don't watch the show at all. I haven't even seen a new episode in like 2 years and it doesn't bother me.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: July 29, 2011, 02:20:35 AM »
I'm in the same boat as TJ Spyke. It's a decent enough show (and it's certainly the best comedy on CBS, at least until Dave Foley's show premieres in the fall, but that isn't really saying much of anything), but I don't care enough to watch it regularly.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: July 29, 2011, 02:35:32 AM »
also on the same boat with HIMYM, its a good show, but im not going to go about trying to watch every episode. I'll slowly absorb it through syndication.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: July 30, 2011, 12:00:51 AM »
I had been seeing a bit of a buzz building around a new anime title called Angel Beats!, so I decided to check it out and now I've finished it.  While the series has some serious writing problems and 13 episodes is way too short for a series like this to give proper diligence to a cast this huge, I really enjoyed this series.  The animation is surprisingly good (when it needs to be) considering I've never heard of this animation studio before, the music is excellent (and there is a lot of vocal music in this series), there is a pretty good balance between comedy and drama, and the series has exactly ZERO fanservice of pretty much any kind.  I should also emphasize that this show is legitimately funny, with excellent comic timing.  Quite a few modern anime series could learn from Angel Beats' example that you can get a laugh without the usual fanservice route anime tends to take.

The concept of the show is that these high school kids find themselves dead and in a sort of "high school"-esque purgatory designed more or less for them, where they can feel pain and "die" but revive soon after.  Each had the honor of Fate having handed them pretty lousy and tragic deals in life, so now the kids fight to keep themselves from being "obliterated" from existence (the manner of which this happens being a pretty big spoiler).  Yes, oddly enough this is comedy show, and odder still it actually works that way.  Naturally, over time the kids discover that there's more meaning to this purgatory than they thought, so halfway through the series it changes gears a bit and goes a bit weird and random.  The story ties itself up nicely enough and there are some touching scenes towards the end.  I didn't care much for the ending and the writing can be pretty atrocious, but it did wrap up most of the loose ends and leave plenty of room for decompression and resolution.  In fact, it's probably the only way it could have ended outside of the cliched "IT WAS ALL A DREAM"-style B.S.  I just didn't care for the bittersweet way it goes.  Highly recommended, and I don't often have reason to say that about modern anime.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:10:29 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: July 30, 2011, 10:59:39 AM »
Breaking Bad: 5/10

Just didn't entertain me.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: July 31, 2011, 06:04:31 AM »
your saying the series or just the last 2 episodes?

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: July 31, 2011, 11:31:57 AM »
I started watching season one, and after four episodes I just couldn't take it anymore.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: July 31, 2011, 01:31:17 PM »
You, sir, are a crazy person.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: July 31, 2011, 01:45:32 PM »
You, sir, are a crazy person.

+1
Breaking Bad is one of the best shows on television right now, and that is across all networks.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: July 31, 2011, 02:31:37 PM »
Wow. Season one? The first two episodes alone are so great they could've been a movie.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: July 31, 2011, 05:17:26 PM »
also, **** Breaking Bad is one of those shows where the characters change....a lot.

They keep going down a deep hole, and where they are now is the no return point.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: July 31, 2011, 05:43:34 PM »
ThunderCats episode 1 and 2 were great, and made awesome by hearing and watching once again that famous line that Lion-O said so many times.  I'm definitely going to follow this show.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1441 on: July 31, 2011, 06:06:58 PM »
I didn't like it. The animation style was alright, but I just wasn't feeling it like I did the old series (which I watched on Netflix last year, and watched the episodes Cartoon Network aired last week).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: August 01, 2011, 09:35:14 AM »
I went into Breaking Bad with mediocre expectations, and the first episode was good, the second also pretty good, though I wish it would have covered more ground, and then the next two episodes were near pointless and hardly funny all leading to the inevitable execution. It's like those episodes of Dragon Ball Z where Goku spent the whole episode powering up a kamehameha or 3 rising to the new level of super saiyan. One of the great things about Weeds is how quickly things happen, not that I have ADD or can't appreciate a movie like Gone With The Wind (one of my favorites of all time btw), but I just hate when things drag out endlessly and then reach the foregone conclusion. If they could have worked it out with Krazy 8 or killed him accidentally, or something other than the obvious he died trying to defend himself after magically getting an opportunity to get a weapon, it wouldn't have annoyed me as much. It's just too much of the same for me...

As for Thundercats, why did no one tell me this started already? :)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: August 01, 2011, 02:14:29 PM »
I also just finished watching the two-part opening to the new Thundercats series, and IMO it's as awesome as the original series is terrible.  The animation is very good, the character and environmental designs are very eye-pleasing, and the writing is very solid.  They took a fairly generic, formulaic 80s action cartoon and turned it into a grand fantasy epic with a big emphasis on world-building.  They also made much needed changes to the cast and world that make this feel like its own show, and not just a retread of what came before.  Characters I despised in the original show (Snarf and, at times, the Wily Kids), I rather enjoyed having on-screen.  If the original show was inspired by 80s action cartoons and random inclusions of various mythology, this show feels inspired by shows like Avatar: The Last Airbender and Lord of the Rings.  I'll take that pedigree gladly, thank you.

Mumm-Ra actually looks seriously threatening now as well, something he hasn't been since probably the opening arc of the original series.  I also appreciate how despite everything that happens in this opening being very bad for the Thundercats, they brought it upon themselves.  In fact, the Thundercats as a society come off as pricks overall, so it should be interesting to see how that is followed-up in the coming season.  I do have to take a bit of an issue with the music, though.  I have to admit I miss the original Thundercats theme song, and this show so far doesn't have a theme song.  As for the music, it's good but I heard a couple really familiar refrains in the background music.  I swear I heard one of the Star Trek movie theme songs (Wrath of Khan?) when the Clerics were fighting at the gates late in the pilot.  There's a lot of potential in this series on display, so I hope the show's writers can maintain this level of quality.  After all, the original Thundercats also had a pretty good opening 5 or so episodes (and the occasional excellent story like the Trials arc), and it went downhill pretty quickly afterwards.  For now, this is looking to be a very good series that hopefully sets the standard for cartoon revivals.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:16:42 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: August 01, 2011, 03:08:47 PM »
I also just finished watching the two-part opening to the new Thundercats series, and IMO it's as awesome as the original series is terrible.

I stopped reading at that point. That was all the encouragement I needed.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: August 05, 2011, 05:19:41 PM »
Mortal Kombat Legacy
It's a youtube series and it's been very well handled so far. Production values are pretty high for this sort of thing and it needs more viewers so that they continue making them and hopefully bring it to television. I'll link you to all the recent *Uncensored* episodes:

Episode 1: Jax Sonya & Kano pt 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s6UiEuCYXA

Episode 2: Jax, Sonya & Kano pt 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTSEa--Alkw

Episode 3: Johnny Cage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4dDzPMK0ko

Episode 4: Kitana & Milena pt 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIFbGNqs0JQ

Episode 5: Kitana & Milena pt 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4QRSbf9H5M

Episode 6: Raiden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tWh4Z42SJk

I'm very interested to see how this all plays out since right now it's just setting up all the characters. The episodes are kinda short and I really wish they would be atleast 12-15 minutes long consistently, but it's straight and to the point on what I assume is a pretty low budget (It's backed by WB I believe), so I'm really not gonna nitpick on things like that.

Episode 7: Scorpion & Sub Zero - Pt. 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5Wnc8OyUj0

Episode 8: Scorpion & Sub Zero - Pt. 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQv-kYsclSM

Episode 9: Cyrax & Sektor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OwDyWfjb48

I don't know if anyone has or was interested in watching these, but I think the first season is done, so I'll make it easy for you to catch up on all of them. I enjoyed them and would love to see them not only get a second season, but actually get expanded into a full length show, possibly even on TV.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: August 05, 2011, 09:15:54 PM »
I am not sure if it's even violent enough to bother censoring. I was rather disappointed with Raiden since he spent the entire episode not doing anything. The effects are well done, although Cyrax & Sektor was somewhat over ambitious, and didn't quite work. I really wish they stop desaturating everything. I know they are going for dark and gritty look, but it just looks dark and cheap.

The package so far is competent, but it lacks that Holy **** factor. I was surprised by the relatively well known names they got for the first 2 episodes.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: August 06, 2011, 02:04:37 AM »
The series was done well enough for what it was. The exception being the Kitana & Mileena episodes, which I didn't much care for. I really wish that they had been allowed to stick to the Rebirth themes instead. It made for a much more interesting alternate universe.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: August 06, 2011, 02:30:56 AM »
The Kitana & Mileena episodes didn't quite work either due to how inconsistant they were. If they were going for Animated = Flashback, and kept with it, it might have worked. But they didn't and failed to follow their own rules. It was all over the place.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: August 06, 2011, 02:57:50 PM »
I also just finished watching the two-part opening to the new Thundercats series, and IMO it's as awesome as the original series is terrible.

I stopped reading at that point. That was all the encouragement I needed.

The bolded statement couldn't be any more true.
This is how you revive an old childhood favorite.