Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1198866 times)

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #1225 on: April 13, 2011, 03:10:02 AM »
I just finished the first season of the X Files.

Very enjoyable.  Some of the episodes were just too cheesy but a lot less than I expected.  The show had a very cinematic quality from the first episode that I really liked.  I was really surprised when Deep Throat got killed.  I thought for sure he was going to screw them.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #1226 on: April 13, 2011, 07:33:55 AM »
From what I remember, it gets considerably better after S1. Enjoy.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: April 13, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
And then gets considerably worse a few seasons after that.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: April 13, 2011, 10:01:49 AM »
Twin Peaks - ..../10

I'm serious, I just don't understand why this show is so beloved. It's boring, it's cheesy and the fucking background music!!!! give it a break already. This show constantly puts me to sleep, and I TRY so hard to watch the whole first season, but the fucking background music!!!! give it a damn rest already. I'm probably gonna watch the 2nd season and see if it gets better, but the 2nd season better not have that same damn background music or I quit this damn show for good. It seriously plays every other scene like everytime something is supposed to be creepy or moody or there are people on the screen. I think in one scene they were already playing music and the background music kicked in and they both just played at the same time. I think it's even the same music in the intro and during the end credits and I just can't handle that damn BG music any more.

I just have to finish the last 30 mins of the 1st season, but I just don't get how people loved this show so much. I actually think I want to start it over before finishing it and actually pay attention, because as it is now, I only watch it while doing something else, but that's mostly because the BG music is like a freaking lullaby to me. Is the background music part of the humor on this show, because it's not funny and much better show have gotten canceled for less.

Now there is a funny moment every here and there, but it took me 6 sessions to actually make it through the 1st episode and on average 2 sessions to make through almost every other episode too. I kept falling asleep during the 2HOUR premiere, but I usually pause most of the rest of the episodes and finish them in bits and pieces. That why I want to restart, (not from the 1st episode), but I do want to give this show a real chance to see if the humor and the intentional cheesiness grows on me.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #1229 on: April 13, 2011, 10:43:30 AM »
And then gets considerably worse a few seasons after that.

Well, yeah. I really want to run through the X-Files on Netflix, but I still haven't decided if I care enough about the overarching story to go through the last few seasons (which I've never seen).
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: April 13, 2011, 12:12:29 PM »
I'm going through season 4 of the X-files right now. The Monster of the Week episodes hold up much better than the Mythology episodes.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: April 13, 2011, 12:35:08 PM »
I hated the Mythology episodes. The whole thing was a perpetual cock tease of the highest order not to mention the whole Scully and Mulder unfulfilled hard on for each other. When they do resolve something, it usually ends up disappearing in some bloody lights that fly away leaving everybody nothing to do but shrug their shoulders and go home.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: April 13, 2011, 12:36:56 PM »
The Last TV Show I saw as of right now was "My Little Pony."  The writing is laughable, the villains are varied and plentify, the lead are not very bright and somewhat discriminatory, and the most interesting part is there is a breed of vicious fairy ponies that sometimes show up and pwn someone.  Also there are no male pony except for 1 week throughout there year...

On the X-Files been rewatching those but I have to stay I stand by my stand that the serious would have been 100 times better in my eye if it had stuck to its roots and left all the super long arch conspiracy stories out.

Also I can't believe what they do to the Lone Gunmen...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: April 13, 2011, 01:07:39 PM »
Looks like a couple of series I've been watching have wrapped up now for the season, so...

The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (Season 1) - I made no secret at the beginning of this season that I thought this show started weak.  Thankfully, after an early series of mediocre standalone episodes, the show has dramatically improved over the course of the season with multiple story arcs and some truly entertaining writing (especially with the Hulk, who is probably the show's best character and has all the best lines).  It's not up there with the Justice League animated series yet and there are still some minor issues with characterization here and there (Iron Man sometimes comes off as a child, and Wasp can be annoying), but it's getting there.  The season started with a wimper and ended with one of the better season finales (which may not have aired in America yet, as the final episodes just popped up on my TV Torrent site) I've seen in an animated show in years.  Highly recommended, and I hope it returns for another season despite it's underwhelming ratings.  Hey Disney, if you want good ratings don't stick a show on Disney XD, which few people have.

Being Human (US) - Like Avengers, this was another slow burn.  I started out hating this cast and thought the writing was weak, but over the course of the short 13-episode season the show has gotten a lot better.  The special effects are still goofy and the acting can be hit or miss in places, but this is a pretty solid (though not spectacular) show now with some decent writing.  I look forward to this one returning next season, hopefully for a longer season.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Season 3) - Wow, Season 3 was extremely hit or miss.  It's pretty distinctly divided into two halves: the ****ty first half where we have such riveting stories as "the droids go for a bath!" and "investigate poisoned TEA!"....and the pretty awesome second half that returns to what makes this show and Star Wars in general entertaining with epic fights and delving into the Star Wars expanded universe lore.  I don't know what happened that caused this season to end up this way (especially since literally only half this season takes place after Season 2), but it really is disappointing.  In the end, the number of bad episodes just about equals the number of excellent episodes for a pretty mediocre season in general.  I hope the production staff at Lucasfilm have learned their lesson about making bad television in Season 3, because Season 4 is already confirmed.  I just pray that Season 4 can make up for the failures of Season 3 and live up to the awesomeness of Season 2.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: April 13, 2011, 01:10:08 PM »
Twin Peaks - ..../10

I loved Twin Peaks. I find it hard not to love just about anything David Lynch puts out however. That said, the middle of the second season is almost unwatchable. They wrap up Laura Palmer's death and then enter into a lull, where every secondary character gets their own side plots. Having to sit through episodes focused on Donna and James was almost enough for me to turn it off at the time. The second season does pick back up however, as the shows centers itself around Cooper again. It's just too bad Lynch made that terrible Twin Peaks film, instead of wrapping up the show's cliffhanger.

Also I can't believe what they do to the Lone Gunmen...

Yeah...

Thankfully, you can always watch their spin-off show! I actually didn't care for it very much at the time, but have since gone back and watched it. It kept me pretty entertained.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: April 13, 2011, 02:16:42 PM »
Loved the Lone Gunmen spin off show and I was hoping it go for a little bit after X-Files.  Though watching Chuck now has a very similar vibe.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: April 13, 2011, 02:22:18 PM »
Looks like a couple of series I've been watching have wrapped up now for the season, so...

The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (Season 1) - I made no secret at the beginning of this season that I thought this show started weak.  Thankfully, after an early series of mediocre standalone episodes, the show has dramatically improved over the course of the season with multiple story arcs and some truly entertaining writing (especially with the Hulk, who is probably the show's best character and has all the best lines).  It's not up there with the Justice League animated series yet and there are still some minor issues with characterization here and there (Iron Man sometimes comes off as a child, and Wasp can be annoying), but it's getting there.  The season started with a wimper and ended with one of the better season finales (which may not have aired in America yet, as the final episodes just popped up on my TV Torrent site) I've seen in an animated show in years.  Highly recommended, and I hope it returns for another season despite it's underwhelming ratings.  Hey Disney, if you want good ratings don't stick a show on Disney XD, which few people have.

STuff

I just got done watching the First Season of the new animated Iron Man, where Tony is a Teen,  let me tell you that starts out on a trajectory for cash-in but after getting a few under the belt its really good.  The tie in to things that happen in earlier episodes is very surprisingly well done.  Is the Ironman in this one from that series?

Like Justice League Unlimited, I vote for it in the best Cartoon ever category, was a continuation of Batman: The Animated Series, the Superman that was going on WB a little after Batman: The Animated Series, a Prequel for Batman Beyond (Batman Beyond was done before JLU).  If so done by some of the same writers as the Animated Ironman a slow start with a strong mid and end game be what I expect.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: April 13, 2011, 02:30:15 PM »
I just got done watching the First Season of the new animated Iron Man, where Tony is a Teen,  let me tell you that starts out on a trajectory for cash-in but after getting a few under the belt its really good.  The tie in to things that happen in earlier episodes is very surprisingly well done.  Is the Ironman in this one from that series?

No, Iron Man: Armored Adventures is its own thing, and you'll be happy to know that a second season of that show is...finally (several years after the first season)...coming in late Spring/Summer of this year.  While not my favorite interpretation of that character, I agree with you on that show's quality: it starts out weak and derivative, but becomes quite good as it develops into its own show 6-7 episodes in.  I just wish that it wasn't the only Marvel animated series created before the Disney merger to survive to reach another season after that merger, as the loss of Spectacular Spider-Man was tragic and even Wolverine & The X-Men had found a solid footing by then. 

The Iron Man in Avengers: EMH (all the characters, really) seems to be based on a culmination of traits and personalities from several different sources (namely, the "normal" Marvel universe, the Ultimate universe, and the Live-Action movies), including his voice actor doing a Robert Downey Jr. impression (incidentally, all the Avengers voice actors are the same as those used for those characters in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: April 13, 2011, 11:04:46 PM »
Sports Show with Norm MacDonald - 10/10
Norm MacDonald is the funniest person to ever appear on a television. Ever since I saw him on Saturday Night Live as a kid I've been a huge fan. Sports Show's series premier had me (and my wife for the most part) laughing hysterically for half an hour straight. If you missed it, you need to set your DVR and get ready to laugh your ass off. Even if you're not into sports at all, you'll still get all the jokes.

Also his stand up special on Comedy Central (Norm MacDonald: Me Doing Stand Up) is absolutely hilarious.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: April 13, 2011, 11:55:18 PM »

No, Iron Man: Armored Adventures is its own thing, and you'll be happy to know that a second season of that show is...finally (several years after the first season)...coming in late Spring/Summer of this year.  While not my favorite interpretation of that character, I agree with you on that show's quality: it starts out weak and derivative, but becomes quite good as it develops into its own show 6-7 episodes in.  I just wish that it wasn't the only Marvel animated series created before the Disney merger to survive to reach another season after that merger, as the loss of Spectacular Spider-Man was tragic and even Wolverine & The X-Men had found a solid footing by then. 

The Iron Man in Avengers: EMH (all the characters, really) seems to be based on a culmination of traits and personalities from several different sources (namely, the "normal" Marvel universe, the Ultimate universe, and the Live-Action movies), including his voice actor doing a Robert Downey Jr. impression (incidentally, all the Avengers voice actors are the same as those used for those characters in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3).

That sort of drags... I like Ironman in a way but they really make Tony Stark way to over flawed at times.  Spectacular Spiderman didn't make it that stinks was going to watch through that next...

I don't know if I could watch another X-Men show.  The Fox one even with its flaw is the best to date.  The one done after the Movies was... the opposite of IM:AA it started out ok but quickly went south.

Guess I like to see the Marvel world do what DC did with JLU and all the shows that lead to it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 11:58:16 PM by Ceric »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: April 14, 2011, 03:12:44 AM »
Spectacular Spiderman didn't make it that stinks was going to watch through that next...

Yeah, and Sony won't even put out the second season as a collected package on DVD like the first season (let alone put either of them on Blu-Ray, where really most animation should be these days since the format's so suited to it).  Despite the show being cut significantly short and several plot threads left hanging, I still highly recommend you watch the two seasons of Spectacular Spider-Man.  They're very well-written, funny, and well-animated.  In other words, they're the exact opposite of all 3 Live-Action Spider-man movies.  Seriously, is it really so hard to write Spidey as a snarky little punk when it comes to the Live Action movies?  Oh wait...Tobey Maquire...yes, it is too hard.  -_-'

And, incidentally, you didn't like X-Men Evolution?  IMO, that's one of those shows that got a lot better by the start of the 3rd season, when it was pretty generic up till that point.  I do miss the days when you'd have long-running Marvel/DC series with interconnected plot threads weaving throughout the show.  I guess it's just not economical to do serialized animated shows these days.  Oh well, at least we have the return of Avatar: The Last Airbender to look forward to in that department.

I would recommend jumping over to Avengers after watching Spectacular Spider-Man, and then wait for the Ultimate Spider-Man (which, despite having almost the exact same premise does not share continuity with Spectacular Spider-Man) series coming later this year.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:16:12 AM by broodwars »

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: April 14, 2011, 10:18:34 AM »
I have the first two "Marvel Anime" series (Iron Man and Wolverine) sitting on my desktop waiting to be watched. I'm interested to see how they turned out, but not overly enthusiastic. Marvel-based shows just can't seem to live up to their 90s incarnations.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: April 14, 2011, 10:20:28 AM »
I have the first two "Marvel Anime" series (Iron Man and Wolverine) sitting on my desktop waiting to be watched. I'm interested to see how they turned out, but not overly enthusiastic. Marvel-based shows just can't seem to live up to their 90s incarnations.

I've seen a bit of the Iron Man anime, and I found it pretty dull.  I haven't seen the Wolverine anime, but it seems to be somewhat better regarded.  There's also an X-Men anime that just started recently, but I haven't heard anything of its quality.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: April 14, 2011, 10:44:18 AM »
Did anyone on of you watch the Ultimate Spiderman that was done a long time back?  Wonder if it be worth finding.

Also to my wife's chagrin I've been slowing going through Quantum Leap.  Which surprisingly I think I enjoy about as much as I remember enjoying it when I was  kid.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: April 14, 2011, 03:14:50 PM »
I've been wanting to watch Twin Peaks as well because it has such a buzz cult following, but it's just hard to watch.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: April 15, 2011, 02:06:08 PM »

I've seen a bit of the Iron Man anime, and I found it pretty dull.  I haven't seen the Wolverine anime, but it seems to be somewhat better regarded.  There's also an X-Men anime that just started recently, but I haven't heard anything of its quality.

Yeah, I read that they're going to do Blade after X-Men. :)

I just started watching this the other day. It's a new Mortal Kombat "web-series" based around that Mortal Kombat: Rebirth short film from a while back. The production values look great so far and the cast is certainly nothing to scoff at.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 02:26:45 PM by Morari »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: April 15, 2011, 02:28:24 PM »
The MK series started!?

I'm gonna go check that out.
That also reminds me that I was supposed to watch the second ep of the Xmen anime too. I think ep 3 should be up later tonite too.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: April 18, 2011, 01:36:11 AM »
Game of Thrones ///

I have no idea what the hell is going on. The first scene is pretty dope, then after that it kinda wades in the water without ever sinking. Then the last scene, as usual with these kinds of series, is dope as well.

But nothing...literally NOTHING happened during the middle of the episode. Some chick got raped, some midget had an eight-some, and some dude got his gut split open.

Don't know what to think just yet. It has potential simply because the first scene was dope and the main characters have wolf puppies with one that looked my stolen husky/wolf puppy. It also has a bunch of nudity, though I have an inclination it's going to end up like Spartacus (i.e. way too far).

I did find myself laughing a lot throughout the show. Not because it was funny, but because of how cheesy somethings were.

Anyway, if I had to sum it up in a word: unimpressed.

Camelot ///

Decided to watch the 3rd and 4th episode.

Finally, a character whom I actually like: Gwain. Cut-throat bastard who made Arthur look like the pansy little bitch he is. And I'm warming up to Merlin as well. They honestly should just call him The Avatar, because I guess that's what he is. Pretty dope.

The story is still in shambles. I have no idea what's going on. Something about a love triangle and a jealous sister. That's basically all I got out of it.

And I love how Merlin lied about the story of Excalibur. Brilliant. It had me laughing the entire time he was explaining it.

The series as a whole is still "meh". Not bad, but most certainly not good.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:37:44 AM by The Unagi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: April 19, 2011, 08:17:13 AM »
It's over, folks. The franchise comes to a screeching halt.

After Stargate Universe ends, at the end of Season 2, there will be no follow-up movies to finish the story. The Atlantis and SG1 movies are both cancelled as well.

I suspect they're simply going to leave the franchise dormant for 5+ years then reboot it into an alternate timeline sound familiar? to wash their hands of established events and to possibly rewrite how the stargate works.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: April 19, 2011, 09:32:25 AM »
It's over, folks. The franchise comes to a screeching halt.

After Stargate Universe ends, at the end of Season 2, there will be no follow-up movies to finish the story. The Atlantis and SG1 movies are both cancelled as well.

I suspect they're simply going to leave the franchise dormant for 5+ years then reboot it into an alternate timeline sound familiar? to wash their hands of established events and to possibly rewrite how the stargate works.

But how the Stargate works is a key part of the core of that franchise.  Changing the rest come first.  Though I have to say the later series have been much more series and not as fun as the first half of the original.