Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199819 times)

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #1200 on: March 26, 2011, 11:53:07 PM »
Yeah, that last remark is more aimed at broodwars, who seems to have seen the whole series.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: March 27, 2011, 12:17:08 AM »
Battlestar Galactica when on for 74 episodes, only to FUBAR the last season and the critical ending. There was some serious lack of payoff going on. Not only that, last season effectively rendered the first 3 seasons a pretty pointless exercise. Plan? WE HAVE NO PLAN.

So yeah, it would be more than possible for someone to have wach an entire series and come out bitter. It effectively happened to most of BSG's fan base.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: March 27, 2011, 12:37:40 AM »
Yeah, that last remark is more aimed at broodwars, who seems to have seen the whole series.

I watched the whole thing out of morbid curiosity, because surely there had to be some payoff for 6 seasons of B.S.  Also, at the time the entire office was watching the show, and when the entire floor is talking about "last night's episode", it helps to actually have seen it.  Besides, there wasn't much else on TV I was interested in watching outside the occasional animated series.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 12:41:41 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: March 27, 2011, 02:06:23 AM »
Murdoch's Mysteries It's Canadian, and I still like it. Scientific crime investigation sat in 1890's Toronto. Three Poutines

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: March 27, 2011, 10:15:22 PM »
Supernatural

What's the verdict on the new season of Supernatural?  I stopped watching last season since it was obvious that it was supposed to end.  When Sam showed up again at the end, I and the other people who watched just said "what?"  I looked online and lo and behold the creator left with that being his finale while it was renewed for another season and someone else would take the helm.  Will the new season leave a bad taste in my mouth because it's techinically supposed to be over?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: March 27, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
So far? No, it's actually been pretty good and getting more interesting as they get they get deeper into the plot of what's really happening.

I think next season will be the last one though. This season looks to have a 2 season story arch.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: March 28, 2011, 01:41:07 AM »
I have been watching the old Law and Order series and actually like it. The DVD bundles are little expensive, so I have been relegated to watching reruns, which happen to be the same episodes in some cases. I have been thinking about ditching cable and getting Netflix, so would I be able to watch any of the Law and Order shows that I want?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: March 28, 2011, 06:00:19 AM »
Smallville S9.  AWESOME!!!!!

Us Aussies have been shafted when it comes to Smallville.  2 different networks have tried airing it but I guess noone watches it here and it gets chopped. They have just started showing it again for the 3rd time, but lately it has been showing at stupid midnight slots so it will probably go the same way.  They just finished showing season 8 here. 

I rented out season 9, and WOW.  I couldn't stop watching it.  I don't know if this is the general consensus, but I loved it.  Especially THAT punch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fARWBL6x5BY) 

I am once again feeling that rage i get when we get presented with the abominations that are cliffhangers. 

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: March 28, 2011, 06:41:55 AM »
"KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!"

I never got into Smallville until they left Smallville. It was too much of a teen drama to be enjoyable. Now in Metropolis, it's a much better show especially since they have connected it to much much larger world. I think NZ is a season ahead of you right now, but still has it in a near midnight slot, not that it matter to DVRs. There is a great cameo later and had me grinning like a fool over Lois and Clake.

This is about as close to a living being a TV show can be. It has learned, evolved, grown into to something that just gets better. Is it wrong that I like Tess more than Lois?

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #1209 on: March 28, 2011, 08:56:43 AM »
I have been watching the old Law and Order series and actually like it. The DVD bundles are little expensive, so I have been relegated to watching reruns, which happen to be the same episodes in some cases. I have been thinking about ditching cable and getting Netflix, so would I be able to watch any of the Law and Order shows that I want?

They have several Law and Order seasons available on DVD, but not all of them. None of them are available for instant viewing. If you like SVU, pretty much all of those are available on instant and DVD though.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: March 28, 2011, 11:12:29 AM »
Smallville S9.  AWESOME!!!!!

Smallville is a guilty pleasure of mine.
S10 (The Final season) is even better than 9 so far.

s1-4 was good
s5-7 was horrible
s8-10 is increasingly better

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: March 28, 2011, 12:44:09 PM »
I all caught up on Mad Men and I gotta say this show really draws you in. It's a shame the next season hasn't even started production yet.

I also watched the first few episodes of The West Wing;
This is a very, and I mean very busy show. Constant dialogue. I mean literally non-stop. conversations inter-weave and people are cutting each other off, and i feel like if I stop paying attention for a little bit I might lose whats even going on. This is a very high level, hectic and fast paced show with lots of political talk, so if you're too slow to keep up, you probably won't watch past the 1st episode. So far I like it, but I'm only 4 episodes in. The good thing is that there is a fair amount of humor, but like I said, if you weren't paying close attention, you might miss a lot of it.

I also watched the 1st episode of The Sopranos;
I can already tell that I am gonna like this show. That is all I have to say about it after only 1 episode.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: March 28, 2011, 03:23:14 PM »
I'm triple posting now, but these are 3 completely unrelated post.

Can we put together a list of all the new shows from the 2010-2011 season and just see what was cancelled, what was worth watching, what needs to die and what got a second season.

I can start it off here:
Hellcats
Nikita
Raising Hope - (renewed, entertaining show, sometimes hilarious)
Outsourced
Mr. Sunshine
Shameless - (getting a 2nd season, a good watch)
Being Human - (worth a watch, remake of a UK show)
Hawaii 5-0
Lonestar - (Cancelled)
The Event
Running Wilde (Cancelled
My Generation
No Ordinary Family - (Cancelled)
The Walking Dead - (renewed)
Undercovers - (Cancelled)
The Good Guys - (Cancelled)
Better With You - (I hope it's cancelled)
Perfect Couples - (Cancelled)
Skins - (remake of a UK show)
The Cape - (Cancelled)
The Chicago Code
Harry's Law
Louie
Treme
Camelot
Off the Map
The Whole Truth - (Cancelled)
Body of Proof
S#!t my Dad Says
Mike & Molly
Bob's Burger
Traffic Light
Breaking In

Anybody else know anymore and/or have anything to say on them?
Know their statuses?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:22:30 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: March 28, 2011, 03:49:09 PM »
Louie is awesome. Definitely worth a look for anyone looking for a different kind of comedy from the normal sitcoms and Parks n Recs.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: March 28, 2011, 04:20:57 PM »
Excuse me if I bring something old to the list, we are a bit behind on TV.

No Ordinary Family - (Cancelled) Really? I went to check and read it got cut back, but no one has said the word cancelled. Limbo hell appears to be order of the day.

Hawaii 5-0. Not sure why this exists outside of nostalgia. From what I have seen it's NCIS in Hawaii, sans the high body count.

Archer. If you haven't seen this mutant sadistic spy weirdness, you're missing out. I would choke Cheryl Carol so hard.

Community. If university was a tenth this interesting, I would have stayed there.

Mercy(dead). I have no idea why I watch this. It's a hospital soap, maybe it reminds me of Trauma(Good show) without the insanity that was Rabbit.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: March 28, 2011, 05:44:50 PM »
The season finale of No Ordinary Family airs on a saturday. I'm pretty sure that means it's canceled.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Micheal Chiklis  supposedly already signed onto a new show.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 10:15:49 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: March 28, 2011, 06:10:42 PM »
I've been watching Raising Hope and I like it a lot.  It isn't Parks & Rec good but that's kind of a high standard to meet.  I really liked My Name is Earl and Raising Hope is made by the same people and pretty much has a similar style of humour so it makes sense that I like it.  The parents (or grandparents I guess - Jimmy's parents) are the best characters.

Regarding cancelled shows I'm not surprised to see that Running Wilde got canned.  I watched the first episode because it was made by the creators of Arrested Development.  It was so brutal and hard to watch.  Just not funny and incredibly forced.  It's funny that Perfect Couples is already axed since it was a mid-season debut.  When I tune in to The Office I usually catch the ending credits of it and it is just NEVER funny.  I can't imagine anybody wanting to watch it.

People talk about funny shows like Arrested Development and Futurama getting cancelled too soon.  While that sucks I will give the networks credit on one thing - they will give legitimately funny shows a bit of a chance.  I can't think of any truly hilarious comedy that was canned in the first season.  Those shows are just absolute clunkers with forced attempts at humour that just falls flat.  The networks seem to at least recognize the difference between a show that hasn't found an audience and a show that hasn't found an audience because it absolutely sucks.  If a comedy is actually funny they won't seem to can it immediately.  But when a comedy has no audience and just is not funny they seem to able to recognize that it's a lost cause.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: April 04, 2011, 07:44:38 PM »
The Soprano's s1 - 9/10

I don't know why I put this show off for so long.  I was hoping to do a slow burn on this until the fall TV season starts, but I've already worked my way into the 2nd Season and will likely be into the 3rd before the week is over. This show has also motivated me to finally sit down and watch The Godfather series when I'm done. This is good television.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: April 04, 2011, 09:47:44 PM »
The Borgias

The first episode was pretty good, and did a very good job (probably the best I've ever seen in a series premiere) of introducing you to the main characters AND the links between them. The show has a lot of uncovered depth, and I can only hope that it lasts long enough to explore it all.

As they shove down you throat at in the intro and outro, the writer of The Godfather based that family on the real life Borgias family. The similarities are obvious from the start, but in a good way; they aren't carbon copies, but they share personality traits. There's lots of violence and sex, but what I find it less senseless pleasure, and more informative because (so far) they both only came into play as it pertained to the story.

Anyway, great first episode and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season/series.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:49:47 PM by MaryJane »
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: April 05, 2011, 08:00:15 PM »
So, another couple of months, and we have another Blu-Ray volume of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, this one covering episodes 40-52.  Unfortunately, after watching this set I really think this series peaked in the "Part 2" set (episodes 14-26).  The show has been consistently less interesting as it has dragged on, with the emphasis on "dragged on."  While the show is still quite watchable and enjoyable, it's basically devolved into a collection of stoic dialog sequences and fairly toothless action sequences that drag on for episode upon episode.  It's easy to see why fans of the manga picked on the first series so much: the first FMA actually had a soul, as well as knowing when to end.  But this?  It's just run-of-the-mill Shonen Jump B.S., with characters constantly conveniently making stupid mistakes that serve to drag the story on beyond its breaking point: I'm at episode 52, and despite the show only having 13 episodes left it doesn't feel like there's an end in sight.  I love a good fight scene and I love well-handled dialog sequences, but at this point it's just become an endless barrage of padding that's growing tiresome.  But hey, because it's a panel-by-panel translation of the manga, it MUST naturally be perfect, right?   :-\
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:28:04 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: April 06, 2011, 03:43:07 AM »
No Ordinary Family "series?" finale

Looking past all the grief I've given this show, I'm gonna be sad to see it go now that it just got really interesting.
Everyone is still a moron, especially the sister since she has the most useful power out of all of them but still has to be told when and how to use it. But they finally got around to turning the show into a Live Action "The Incredibles' only to see the show possibly be canceled.

They just came together as a family unit and they just got a bunch of new enemies to fight, so another season probably would have been where the show came into it's own, but too little too late (In unrelated news, ABC's new Medical/Crime Drama had 18 million viewers last week.... I guess people that watch network TV don't like variety). As much as I hated this show, I loved watching it for some reason. But I guess now there is room for better shows, and now my Tuesday TV schedule is empty.

Back to the actual episode:
The last episode had it's issues, but it was enjoyable. You can tell that the order got cut and they tried to wrap everything up before signing off, so some things were rushed, but it really left me wanting a second season. Too bad Michael Chiklis already signed onto another show for a different network, so I think that all but guarantees it ain't coming back or at the very least is very unlikely.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: April 06, 2011, 01:23:44 PM »
yeah im in the same boat, it seemed like a really hoaky show at first, but now its interesting. That's the problem with having a serial plotline. It has to have time for it to mature before it can be any good. Same thing happened with the new V. The new V started off interesting, got extremely boring and unwatchable, and then at the very end got really good.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: April 06, 2011, 03:11:31 PM »
The Incredibles is in the top 3 of my favorite Pixar movies. If this show was cancelled, I would have considered checking it out.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: April 09, 2011, 01:17:25 AM »
The Sopranos (s2 & s3)

I just wanted to say that I am hopelessly hooked on this show. I walk around the house talking with the accent and everything. I need to take a break, but I'm only halfway thru s3 and I can't quit till it's over. It's that good.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1224 on: April 09, 2011, 11:36:34 PM »
The Larry Sanders Show (season 1)

Holy crap, you people need to watch this. The whole series is on Netflix Instant now. It's amazingly funny, and it's so great to see lots of famous actors at younger ages. Rip Torn is absolutely pitch-perfect as Larry's friend and producer. If you haven't seen or heard of this show, go watch it now. You'll love it.

Also, Larry wife is hot.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.