Author Topic: REVIEWS: Yoshi's Island DS  (Read 16417 times)

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: REVIEWS: Yoshi's Island DS
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »
I liked MK better before the blue shell.

Blue shell was fine in Mario Kart 64. It wasn't until Double Dash that it became game-breaking

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »
StarFox's worst venture ever is Command.
That's a pretty crazy typo you made. How could you get 'Command' when you were obviously trying to type 'Adventures'

See my review of Command.

And Adventures far from a terrible game, i'd say it's good but not great. Command is just not good.

The best Star Fox's ever are 1, 2, the 64 game. Which trump any other out by miles. They are really great.  You all need to play number 2, it's amazing.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2009, 10:18:34 PM »
This game is on my GameFly queue, and I'm looking forward to finally playing it.  I was never a huge fan of the original Yoshi's Island; it felt like such a huge departure from other Mario games that I couldn't tell what to make of it.  The graphics were great, but the gameplay never totally clicked with me.  Also, the crying babies are obnoxious.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 12:08:09 AM »
StarFox's worst venture ever is Command.
That's a pretty crazy typo you made. How could you get 'Command' when you were obviously trying to type 'Adventures'
Don't you mean Assault? Anyway, I haven't played YI2, but if MB is complaining about the original's controls I'm not sure I can take his word on this being a good game...back at the E3 where this was shown, the controls caught me off guard.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 02:39:10 AM »
I like Assault, it just doesn't touch the others. I enjoyed the on foot missions believe it or not :)

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2009, 03:02:27 AM »
F-Zero X was great. Not as good as GX but still.. Though I guess you could say it's a lot easier to transition a racing game to 3D.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2009, 04:37:07 PM »
I like how all of the Star Fox games after Star Fox 64 have sucked. On that note, when is Nintendo going to get around to releasing the original SNES Star Fox on the Virtual Console? It's still my favorite. Hell, they could even localize Star Fox 2.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2009, 05:36:28 PM »
Star Fox is difficult to emulate because of the FX Chip.  Also, there's a good reason that Star Fox 2 was never released... it wasn't all that great.  And it's not even 100% complete, so that would require some additional programming on code that probably hasn't been looked at in fifteen years.  Don't hold your breath.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2009, 06:00:25 PM »
Star Fox is difficult to emulate because of the FX Chip.  Also, there's a good reason that Star Fox 2 was never released... it wasn't all that great.  And it's not even 100% complete, so that would require some additional programming on code that probably hasn't been looked at in fifteen years.  Don't hold your breath.

"Not that great."

Your wrong sir. It's really good, I'm not lying. My review here references it and it's superiority over it's distance cousin, Command.

The game was was completed and released by a third party, I bought a SNES controller adapter and completed it on all difficulties. It's short, but is freaking awesome while it lasts. I highly recommend it.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2009, 06:10:01 PM »
Enough small talk, peasants. This thread is supposed to be about whether Yoshi's Island DS is good or not.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2009, 07:23:05 PM »
Quiet, you! Star Fax uses the FX chip, it's true, but so does Yoshi's Island, and THAT was released onto the VC.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2009, 07:23:45 PM »
I agree with DAaaMan64, Star Fox 2 is outstanding. It's a travesty that Nintendo didn't finish that up and release it in some fashion.

I must disagree with him on one point though, Command > Assault. I don't think either of them are awful, though both were disappointing.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2009, 01:47:15 PM »
Quiet, you! Star Fax uses the FX chip, it's true, but so does Yoshi's Island, and THAT was released onto the VC.

No, Yoshi's Story (N64) is on VC.  There are no FX Chip games on VC yet.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2009, 02:04:39 PM »
What about Blast Processing games?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2009, 02:58:16 PM »
Yoshi's Island technically uses the Super FX 2 chip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_FX

But Jonny's right, there are no Super FX chip games on VC at the moment.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2009, 06:05:50 PM »
I want to go back and clear 100% on level 1-4, but when I get 1/3 of the way through the level I see a flower I can't get because Peach's egg toss doesn't bounce.

There's no character swap in sight without moving irreversibly forward in the level. So I have to hit 'return to map', find another level to swap to mario, and then 'return to map' again but when I go back, peach is still still there! WTF