Author Topic: SD Adapter gets a Date!  (Read 10663 times)

Offline demoncrono

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
SD Adapter gets a Date!
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2003, 02:51:17 PM »
you're going to luagh...but....what's an SDcard?....is it the same card I use for my digital camera? and if so,would I be able to use that instead of buying a nintendo one? and how would it even hook up to a pc? through the digital camera?

Offline Edisim

• View Profile
SD Adapter gets a Date!
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2003, 10:21:34 PM »

Not to mention saved files that you can dl from other users, and more maps form other users such as from games like Time Spilters, and offical ones. Side mission for RPGs basically most anything that the Xbox's HD can be used for.

And it could even do things that the xbox harddrive can't... for example, you could take your SD card to a store like EB or Walmart and stick your card into a kiosk and download videos or even playable demos to bring home and play on your cube at home. It would give Nintendo a way of handing out demos without the expense of making and distributing demo-discs. This would be great for people who don't have broadband at home and can't normally be bothered to download vids. They kiosks would't have to be connected to the net; the data could (and should) be stored on the kiosk's harddrive (the transfer would be faster and more reliable). They could have the kiosks connect to the internet (or just Nintendo's servers/computers) and download new content to the kiosk's harddrive every once-in-a-while, then they wouldn't even have to pay a guy to drive out to the stores..

Offline Edisim

• View Profile
SD Adapter gets a Date!
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2003, 10:37:13 PM »
(couldn't edit for some reason)

Hell, if money is the reason Nintendo doesn't like demo-discs, they could even charge people a nominal fee for the download. I'd pay up to $1 for a playable demo--nothing for a vid, though. (Only $1 because it doesn't come in a permanent format; you'd have to erase it, or move it to your pc's harddrive eventually.)

Is Nintendo giving out demo discs soon? Can't remember if they're free or if they only come with new consoles..

Offline Edisim

• View Profile
SD Adapter gets a Date!
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2003, 10:42:44 PM »
(still can't edit)

Even so, downloadable demos would solve the problem of stores running out of copies to give out. I don't know how many megabytes demos would take up, but if entire N64 games are less than 64mb, then surely a short one-level demo for GCN can fit onto a 128mb card. And if they can't, there's always the 1GB SD cards.

A fanboy can dream, can't he?

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
SD Adapter gets a Date!
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2003, 11:23:08 PM »

Originally posted by: demoncrono
you're going to luagh...but....what's an SDcard?....is it the same card I use for my digital camera? and if so,would I be able to use that instead of buying a nintendo one? and how would it even hook up to a pc? through the digital camera?

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/sd/default.asp
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
SD Adapter gets a Date!
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2003, 04:14:36 AM »
Nitnendo doens't make the SD cards. Its they reiceved the promission to use the technology under the same agreement they recieved their I/O system and GODs from. So maybe Nintendo will offer some cheep 8/16 MB cards that they bought from Panasonic because it will be the surplus they usally end up burrying, so maybe Nintendo can nab them for pennies on the dollar, to give those who don't have an SD card for another use (Digital Camera, MP3 player.) a chance to use them cheep, or maybe package them in a game. For example Animal Crossing 2 will be the first game to fully use the technology, so they could package it in much like they packaged in a Digicard 59 in with the first on.

The editing problem stemed from the last version of this board. Now they are on version 4 so it now has that bug mostly worked out.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline ramon10cl

• View Profile
SD Adapter gets a Date!
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2003, 08:48:35 AM »
I have a question. Are SD cards and MultiMedia cards the samething or what?
---------------------------------
"I can resist anything but temptation"
       -Oscar Wilde

Offline Kulock

• View Profile
SD Adapter gets a Date!
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2003, 02:43:41 PM »

Originally posted by: BlkPaladin
And about the mail server it isn't anything cheep to set up a mail server you have to have the space to store all the emails while they wait to be dl'ed from the server and even with a restricted storage usage we are talking about a lot of space for potenially millions of users, not to mention the bandwidth, servers and technical support.

Time out, reread what I said:

Originally posted by: Kulock
Unfortunately, yes it does. It would make a lot more sense to use the GCN's own online capabilities, I'd think, and just being able to access and send e-mail is much, much different from anything like Online Play. There doesn't have to be a single server set up to handle it, unless a dedicated Nintendo server will be handling the mailing.

_Unless_ Nintendo decided to use a dedicated server. But gamers could potentially set it up to use their current, ISP-provided mail servers for both sending and receiving, just like gamers have before on the Dreamcast, PS2, heck, even the Saturn Netlink. Nintendo would not have to pay one cent for those servers themselves. But there's no doubt, yeah, a Nintendo e-mail server for this might run a decent amount of money, although the save files aren't that large, so even though there'd be a mass of users, the space eaten up and bandwidth wouldn't be as bad as, say, supporting a net game.

And Nintendo's going to have to handle technical support no matter what method they use. :/

Offline JB

• The Grandfather of All Knowledge
    • View Profile
SD Adapter gets a Date!
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2003, 03:28:00 AM »

Originally posted by: BlkPaladin

And about the mail server it isn't anything cheep to set up a mail server you have to have the space to store all the emails while they wait to be dl'ed from the server and even with a restricted storage usage we are talking about a lot of space for potenially millions of users, not to mention the bandwidth, servers and technical support.

Nintendo shouldn't have to run a mail-server. Every ISP has their own mailserver that their subscribers can use. It only is a question of the game supporting standards like POP3 and SMTP.
AC Name:Jan
Town:Zooropa

Offline Fammy2000

• View Profile
SD Adapter gets a Date!
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2003, 03:38:38 AM »

Originally posted by: ramon10cl
I have a question. Are SD cards and MultiMedia cards the samething or what?

No, they are not. But MultiMedia Cards (MMC) can be read in most SD card devices. The opposite is not true.
My sig beat up your honor roll sig.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
SD Adapter gets a Date!
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2003, 10:26:14 AM »
damn saturn netlink a 14k modem and sega charged like 299 for it....wtf
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post