Author Topic: Nintendo and Konami Announce DDR with Mario  (Read 22692 times)

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Nintendo and Konami Announce DDR with Mario
« on: January 06, 2005, 09:44:38 PM »
Mario gets ready to lose the pounds.

Nintendo and Konami announced today that not only is DDR finally coming to GameCube, but that Nintendo's number one plumber will be throwing his weight into the project (which seems to be becoming a trend lately).  Dance Dance Revolution with Mario is being co-developed by Konami and Nintendo, published by Nintendo, and is due for a summer release in Japan as a dance mat bundle.  In addition to the familiar rhythm-based gameplay that many Nintendo fans have missed out on for years, DDR with Mario will also include several mini-games.  Although specifics on the song list have not been made available, it's a safe bet that at least a handful of Nintendo-themed tunes will be included.  

DDR with Mario will be on display at Nintendo and Konami's booths during the Next Generation World Hobby Fair in Japan, which starts on January 16th.

Thanks to Chris Kohler for additional translation help!

Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
RE:Nintendo and Konami Announce DDR with Mario
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 10:06:43 PM »
MARIO IS FAT LOL

but hey, everybody on this forum wanted it

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo and Konami Announce DDR with Mario
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 10:33:15 PM »
Awesome!

Can't wait to see how the mini games turn out, and the music. Should be fun.  

I hope Nintendo publish this so it comes to PAL regions.

Offline Kulock

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 11:12:36 PM »
It's a neat idea... but I wish Nintendo had organized it with a different license instead. A very similar polymodel already looked awkward in NBA Street, now we've got to watch it try to dance? That's just going to look bad. :/ But the minigames look decent, at least.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 11:37:05 PM »
From the screens, I'm not entirely convinced that Mario himself is going to "dance".  I think that more likely, he'll be hopping through a stage and bopping enemies to the beat of the song, but who knows?  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline WackerJr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 01:02:09 AM »
Why are we only getting these games now???

Why couldn't these companies have made these games last year or the year before? THAT'S when they would've made a big difference!

Don't get me wrong, i'm very happy that companies like EA and Konami are producing these games with guest appearances from Mario and co, but I just feel that with the announcements of next-gen consoles at E3, these games could've made a bigger impact and helped Nintendo had they been produced much earlier!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 02:17:16 AM »
No, this is a very good thing...This means that Ninty is getting better at garnering 3rd party support, and this is the HUGE difference that next gen can make...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 03:17:23 AM »
This is freaking out freaking standing!!

Just made my day =P!!!!!
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 03:39:56 AM »
THE INTERNET IS GOING NUTS
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 04:15:54 AM »
hopefully this will be hard unlike the ninja and disney ddr games
The screens look good but Im not to keen on the star bar
The graphics look good too, hopefully most of the stages with have there own background events (seen mario jumping) and not just a high res image like most ddr songs

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 04:21:56 AM »
This is pretty cool, and this has alot of potential promise.  

Nintendo is making connections with 3rd party developers and they are giving exclusive benefits to Gamecube owners...however this could be dangerous and could backfire.

Soul Caliber was a huge success including Link as a playable character, and most likely NBA Street with Mario All-Stars will be a big success too.

But eventually Mario is going to get old.  Throwing him out into the public sea too often for guest appearances and stuff could get tiresome.  And the first game that sells bad even with Mario in it as a bonus will once again scare 3rd party developers.

Will Mario DDR be the game that does this?  Probably not.  But when will Nintendo draw the line?

Will the Next Tony Hawk or SSX get a hidden Mario character?
Will Mario continue to learn to play Baseball, Hockey, Waterpolo, Cricket?
Will Nintendo have to make these deals to continue to persuade developers to the next generation system?

Its good to see Nintendo working and building relationships with developers, I am just worried to see what happens if anything goes bad.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2005, 04:52:20 AM »
Can it be?  Is Konami actually making a worthwhile Gamecube game.

I don't want Mario to be everywhere and having two third party game appearances in a row find of makes it look like he is.  But this one is significant.  This is DDR.  NBA Street doesn't really have a hardcore fanbase.  DDR does and this looks like it's an exclusive game.  Plus with NBA Street the Cube was getting the game anyway regardless of Mario.  But this looks like a specific deal setup to get DDR to the Cube.  Don't view this as another Mario game view it as a new DDR.  Having Mario in it just seems natural.

Looks like Donkey Konga was a pretty good idea.  I'll bet its success is why Konami felt this was worth a risk.

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2005, 05:00:18 AM »

But eventually Mario is going to get old.

Agreed... but its probably the only way to get the Nintendo fanboys to buy Third Party Games... Its the sad state of affairs that Nintendo lives in
The Savior Returns Late 2005

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2005, 05:10:36 AM »
but its probably the only way to get gamers with brains to buy Third Party Games

Fixed...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2005, 05:16:31 AM »
Freakin' sweet!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2005, 05:23:50 AM »
I'm waiting for Mario DDR vs. Donkey Konga...

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2005, 05:35:30 AM »
That would be crazy!

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2005, 05:48:10 AM »
I don't think we have to worry about Mario getting old because his games are so varied and the cameo appearences are just that ... merely cameos in games that really aren't Mario games at all.
If Nintendo was merely releasing a new Mario 3D platform game every year, it would get old. But there have actually only been like TWO Mario platform games in eight years. It's forever since we've gotten a traditional Mario 2D platform game. Just one Mario Kart per console. One Mario Tennis per console. Etc.. Mario Party is the only Mario franchise that is being over-used but that's not such a big deal as it's not the type of games that lends itself to innovation anyway. If people get sick of one Mario franchise, there's always an entirely fresh new one around the corner.

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2005, 05:48:17 AM »
Playing the bongos while playing DDR... insane!  Or brilliant?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2005, 06:32:52 AM »
Here is the game I want.

Mario DDR Vs. Donkey Konga

Exclusive Mode....VERSE MODE.

Think about it.  

1)You could have the Konga player hit the Konga to the beat of the music recording steps that the dancer would have to do.  (Might be hard to do since there is more variety in DDR than is available to program within the Kongas)

2)An easier means to create verse.  The Konga player actually manipulates the beat to the music.  The song is choosen and the Konga player can use the Kongas to change the beats speed.  Hit his roll faster and he can make the song speed up, or slow it down.  

3)Last is have a more regular competition.  Have the screen show DDR moves and Konga lines and whomever can get a higher score wins.

(I really wish Nintendo and Konami could be this creative with the game.)

Offline Robageejammin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2005, 06:45:55 AM »
...holy crap this is awesome. This could be big if Nintendo really takes hand in it. I saw a mention of minigames which is a good sign to me. Something that can separate it from other DDR games. As for the whole Mario NBA Street looking like crap deal, i don't think we have to worry. It's definitely not the same deal at all in DDR. Oh, and I don't think Mario will be getting old for quite a long while. As Michael8983 said, Mario is pretty much everchanging nowadays. After over 20 years now, I think the plumber knows what he's doing.
"Luigi is the dreamy, comical poster boy of the Smash series, and everywhere he goes his slightly awkward presence is felt."
- Sakurai

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2005, 07:14:02 AM »
I'm am generally excited for this. wait. no I'm not.  I've never been a big DDR fan. but if the song list includes techno mario theme songs and a new kokiri forest track I'm all there. All I wonder now is if we'll be flooded with DDR sequels with nothing new to offer.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2005, 07:29:38 AM »
*January 7th, 2005 was the day I stopped caring about Mario*

Good use of Mario, nice to see Nintendo recruiting more third party support, yadda yadda yadda.  In spite of that, I'm not spending $500 on games just because they have Mario in them this year.  As far as I'm concerned, chasing the NBA announcement with this one qualifies as "jumping the shark".  Now instead of being motivated to buy games I didn't care about until they added Mario to them, I suddenly feel free from the desire to own any of them.  I'll never have a complete Mario collection, so there's no point in wasting my money on any of the spin-offs anymore, including the decent ones like Mario Golf.

Still a nice announcement, but I thought Mario was already overexposed in 2004.  If I buy this game it will be because I'm intrigued by dancing games, not because of Mario.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2005, 07:34:20 AM »
Mario is actually an incentive to buy a game for gamecube now.  why get it for xbox when I can get it for cube with Mario.  there we go. and maybe this will lead to konami giving us something other than, well, they haven't really given the cube anything have they. this is a grand start.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2005, 07:41:50 AM »
"and maybe this will lead to konami giving us something other than, well, they haven't really given the cube anything have they."

Come on. They gave us MGS:TTS, which apart from MGS3 is the best game they have produced since MGS1.

I know they didn't actually make it, but still.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...