Author Topic: SONIC CAR. Sonic really was nearly kinda going to be in SSB:M  (Read 5323 times)

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
SONIC CAR. Sonic really was nearly kinda going to be in SSB:M
« on: January 03, 2005, 10:35:14 PM »
The angry face is on the toilet. Hey people, new Ozzziiieee Edge! Scan time! Everything is tilted!  Yuji Naka (Sonic Team dude) talks about DS and PSP, and stuff. STUFF LIKE SONIC WAS GOING TO BE IN SSB:M. ;__;
You can click this with your mouse.
He has a SONIC CAR.

The interview seems like it was taken months ago, but meh. Also, a radtastic look back on Eternal Darkness (because the game's totally old and everything). Quite a funky read. =O
One
Two
Three
O'clock
Raaaawwwwwk

TRA LA LA LA LA.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: SONIC CAR. Sonic really was nearly kinda going to be in SSB:M
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 12:17:25 AM »
That, was awesome.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:SONIC CAR. Sonic really was nearly kinda going to be in SSB:M
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 10:31:59 PM »
Interesting... but I'm glad he didn't make it into SSB:M. No offense against the Sonic franchise, hell I owned a Genesis before I ever purchased a SNES, but I would prefer if the SSB series remains based solely on Nintendo characters. It's not like there aren't pluny more to use either (I would kill for Strum from Advance Wars 2 to be playable).  
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 12:17:52 AM »
The Hammer Bros. coulda SHOULDA been the Ice Climber's gameplay twin.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 06:02:41 AM »

Originally posted by: Hedorah64
Interesting... but I'm glad he didn't make it into SSB:M. No offense against the Sonic franchise, hell I owned a Genesis before I ever purchased a SNES, but I would prefer if the SSB series remains based solely on Nintendo characters.

But what about a Nintendo Vs. Sega game that was STYLED after SSBM? I can certainly understand your point though. It would be akin to Link showing up in Mario Kart.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 06:08:56 AM »
That's pretty cool that Sonic almost made it into SSBM.  According to the article he didn't make it due to time contraints which makes sense since SSBM was one of the first Cube games.  But how come we haven't seen Sonic in a different Nintendo game since then?  Time contraints are not a valid excuse for Sonic not making a cameo in Super Mario Sunshine or not being a secret character in Mario Kart.  Why did they adandon the idea completely?

Nothing would attract more attention to the next Mario game than Sonic being involved in some way.  Maybe they're waiting on it for the Revolution where a killer app will make more of a difference.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 07:32:13 AM »
"Time contraints are not a valid excuse for Sonic not making a cameo in Super Mario Sunshine or not being a secret character in Mario Kart."

Because those ideas are stupid...It makes more sense to put him in a "all-franchise" game as Melee than in a Mario game...What they are waiting for is nothing more than the next Smash Brothers...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 10:14:54 AM »
I wish SSBM wasn't rushed, I hate you Nintendo!

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 10:22:40 AM »
Even though it was rushed, it sure as hell didn't seem like it.  It seems like there wasn't a flaw at all in the game.  The character models are great.  I love doing the target stages.  And to this day, it is still ranked like number 2 on my list of games.  I love YOU Nintendo ....and HAL.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 07:07:29 PM »
It seems like some pretty good articles have been comming out of the Aussie Edge. They articulated what I though about ED better than I could myself.

Do you have the one about Majora's Mask?  

Offline Infernal Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 08:36:15 PM »

Originally posted by: Caillan
Do you have the one about Majora's Mask?

I sure do.
This page is just artwork.
Text begins!
Crap scanning in this one, ahoy.
The end. =o

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2005, 09:18:27 PM »
Both very awesome reads (will read the Sonic thing later), thanks Infernal.

I might have to get Edge magazine.  I've been thoroughly impressed by what I've seen of it.  Anyone here that would recommend a subscription?
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 10:14:18 PM »
Thank you very much for that. For all the unknown laws your distribution of this information has probably broken, it's just earned Edge another subscribtion.

Offline Kulock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2005, 06:46:15 AM »

Huzzah! I remember being treated as if I was mad for pointing out the news and clues that it was supposed to happen, like I was someone suggesting a Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat in the early 90's. It's nice that he answered about it, instead of avoiding the question any longer.

And about "leaving a door open for the future" (approximate quote, there), could that be an implication about a Revolution SSB having Sega characters? Things might've changed with Sammy taking the lead, though, since this interview was obviously done some time ago.

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
"Time contraints are not a valid excuse for Sonic not making a cameo in Super Mario Sunshine or not being a secret character in Mario Kart."

Because those ideas are stupid...It makes more sense to put him in a "all-franchise" game as Melee than in a Mario game...What they are waiting for is nothing more than the next Smash Brothers...

But didn't Miyamoto himself make a comment, half-joking (but only half?) about Sonic potentially appearing in Double Dash? (I'm glad he didn't, Double Dash was such a weak effort- er, whoops, don't want to invite that flame war :/ ) Is the idea so stupid when even Miyamoto suggested it once? (I'm not saying it isn't, I just know some people defend Miyamoto's opinions to the end, I'm just curious if this would lead to contradiction for some.)

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2005, 01:41:14 PM »
I'm glad Sonic isn't in Smash Bros, and I hope he isn't in the next one.  These are Nintendo characters fighting, and I'd really like it to stay that way.

In regards to Edge: is all of its stuff as good as the Nintendo essays they have?
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2005, 03:53:48 PM »
Whats wrong with other characters in it? Id love to see it, it works for Capcom (SNK, Marvel, Sammy) It can work for Nintendo....  

and Mario and Sonic should be in a game together. The two greatest plataformers ever... Thinking about Shiggy and Yuji  working together s just awesome
The Savior Returns Late 2005

Offline Infernal Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2005, 04:04:44 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation

In regards to Edge: is all of its stuff as good as the Nintendo essays they have?

Pretty much everything in Edge is top quality.

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2005, 05:32:30 PM »
Yeah, I was just floored by the quality of the read...I really haven't read top quality stuff like that for quite some time, at least not for video games.

I was gonna subscribe and everything, but its like 60p a year (almost $120 US), which is way outside my price range...ah well.

Cool bits though, especially the ED analysis- very unique.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540