Author Topic: The Big Contest: Nintendo DS Launch!  (Read 11044 times)

Offline Kulock

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:The Big Contest: Nintendo DS Launch!
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2004, 04:55:54 PM »
I know people are going to say otherwise, but I couldn't get a thing done on that server, and I'm sure it wasn't my connection. I know the popularity is what caused it to lag to high heaven, but it doesn't make for an appealing contest when it takes several minutes just to get into the channel, and when I do, the lag is so bad.

I tried multiple mirrors with the same result.

I'm happy the contest was so popular for PGC, but I really don't think the IRC backbone was strong enough for what you organized and offered. A contest I was supposed to be excited about I feel quite put off by now, and I don't think it's anyone's fault in particular, except the response was really underestimated, and, at least in my observation, that caused some serious negative side effects to this.

Congratulations to the winner, whoever he or she may be, as well as whoever wins the books during the half-time sequence. I apologize for sounding like such a wet blanket, the technical problems (which I'm sure I'll get two or three replies to saying that they experienced no problems and that it must've been my fault) just made for a very disappointing experience.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE: The Big Contest: Nintendo DS Launch!
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2004, 07:26:48 PM »
I'm sorry you had problems, Kulock.  IRC isn't perfect, and we were well aware of this when we chose that as the medium for this contest.  However, given the time constraints the staff felt we could not execute some more elaborate format for trivia (such as an email system like someone suggested in GA forums).  And we didn't want to just put names in a hat, as I stated above.

In the past we have done contests involving submissions; if given the option I think PGC would do something along those lines for another contest of this magnitude.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline ShanD

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:The Big Contest: Nintendo DS Launch!
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2004, 12:13:43 AM »
Congrats MegaByte - and I'd personally be up for another trivia giveaway ... but one that minors can participate in.
hay guyzz wuts goin on in dis sig