Author Topic: Mario Galaxy  (Read 239596 times)

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #1175 on: December 26, 2007, 03:56:58 PM »
I beat the game with the absolute maximum number of stars that I could: 104. The final level brings the count to 105. The 15 remaining are the Purple Comets as I'm sure most of you know.
Thanks for listening.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: December 26, 2007, 04:15:05 PM »
Is it that you just don't want to collect the rest?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: December 26, 2007, 04:22:48 PM »
No, I just wanted to get absolutely everything that I could before the final boss. Maybe I feared that if I didn't get them first, then after "beating" the game I would become disinterested in some of the levels.

Doing it this way had a sort of glitchy result when Rosalina put her countdown in the middle of the star pad. When she was explaining what it meant (the number of stars remaining until I could go to the center of the universe) it said that I needed one more. Right after that cut scene ended, the count dropped to zero and she announced that I could go now.
Thanks for listening.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: December 27, 2007, 12:58:03 AM »
I think its funny that there is only a 1,000 yen price difference between the two.  Though Galaxy is a vastly superior game to NSMB.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #1179 on: December 27, 2007, 04:44:45 AM »
If Nintendo priced their games based on quality, we would all be broke by now.
Thanks for listening.

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: December 27, 2007, 10:55:50 AM »
I love the remix of the main theme that plays during the Purple Coin challenge in the Space Junk Galaxy. It's upbeat and cheery.

Edit: Other stages, too.
Thanks for listening.

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: December 27, 2007, 11:51:25 AM »

Originally posted by: MarioAllStar
If Nintendo priced their games based on quality, we would all be broke by now.
Isn't that the truth.

Also, after hearing all of the music, I still say that Buoy Base has the best track.

Offline redgiemental

• View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: December 27, 2007, 03:01:48 PM »
I just completed the game with 120 stars and I have to say it was one of the best games I have ever played. It's one of the best experiences of my life period. I love this game and it was well worth the wait. I just can not say enough good things about this game. It is the closest thing to pure joy on a disc.

A question for those who have completed it with 120 stars below

In the final part of the ending cutscene it showed me a stage and I assumed I'd be able to play it but I dont seem to be able to find a way to do that. I talked to Rosaline and she just wanted me to fight bowser again.  

I seem to have heard you can play some sort of challenge i the opening festival area after completing it is this right? How do I do that.

Just after it all ended I got the option of playin as luigi so I tried that before I played as Mario. Anyone got any ideas?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: December 29, 2007, 06:14:18 PM »
I just beat the final boss.  Still have a ways to go.

It's certainly fun- I'm playing it far more than any other recent game- but I'm still a little disappointed.  I recognize the achievement and all, but to me it still didn't match SM64 in any way.  And don't get on my case about nostalgia and all that nonsense...I simply preferred almost everything about SM64 over Galaxy.  I'm probably the odd duck in this situation, but I want my 3D Mario games to be just that; 3D.  Galaxy felt much too linear.  I like the sandbox design of SM64's levels above the two dimensional theme Galaxy took.  I remember some people saying when Sunshine came out that they wished the entire game had been just the "secret" levels....well, your wish has been granted.  But to me it's just not as fun.

AND YEAH, I just compared Sunshine to Galaxy.  I recognize that pretty much every element of Galaxy is superior to Sunshine, and that the level design in the latter kinda sucked...but I think- and it pains me to say this- I had more fun in Sunshine than in Galaxy.  So far, at least.

Also, since I'm venting, I have another complaint about the last two games: lack of real stars.  Sure, there have been 120 stars since SM64, but it feels like (especially in Sunshine) that a lot of the stars are "bonus" stars.  I want the stars to be part of the level.  I recall in some Galaxy review (perhaps NWR, don't care to really look) that the author was amazed that entire galaxies were created just for one star.  While any sane person would agree with that sentiment, *I* would rather see the standard 6 stars per level make a comeback as opposed to random levels thrown in there for funsies.  I know I'm weird, but I would rather have cohesiveness over variety.

AND ANOTHER THING.  I simply liked the way Mario controlled better in Sunshine as well.  Galaxy was indeed closer to Mario's roots when it comes to acceleration (which sounds sort of petty now but, well, just think about it).  Sunshine seemed faster and more responsive.

With all that said, however, it's a rare occasion that I binge on gaming the way I did (and am still doing) with SMG.  It doesn't happen often that I lose track of time and stay up all night playing- I used to, but recently games just don't grab me that way.  SMG did, and that's a big deal.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: December 29, 2007, 06:25:50 PM »
It's easy to pick up on the fact that you haven't been reading this topic much because you think you're alone in not liking Galaxy as much for those reasons, it's been a point of contention for a while. Both sides agree that the game is great, the argument is over the degree of the greatness, and how great it is compared to its predecessors.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: December 29, 2007, 06:49:23 PM »
Yeah, what insano said. I don't believe one person said it wasn't great, but there are those of us who felt it was too linear, and while it is close between the 3 3D Mario games I still prefer Sunshine, and MAYBE even Mario 64 to it because I am a fan of larger levels.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: December 29, 2007, 06:52:47 PM »
Yeah, I couldn't be bothered reading up on the conversation thus far.  I'm 60 pages late in the game.

Anyway, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that I didn't have a complete gaming joygasm with this game.  I'm also VERY relieved that there are people out there enjoyed Sunshine more.

Now I just need to find someone else who likes the original Sunshine commercial....
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: December 29, 2007, 07:55:41 PM »
I prefer the linearity of SMG. 64's levels were just ugly and played ugly too (navigating most parts felt simply unclean, like you were exploiting stuff to get ahead). Also the pathes to each star share so few planets that every star is like a separate level rather than 90% the same level and 10% a new path like in 64. I think it feels like Mario in 3d rather than 3d featuring Mario.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: December 29, 2007, 10:40:36 PM »
I'm with KDR, I like the Galaxy way better. Galaxy somehow managed to overcome its immense nostalgia-caused disadvantage to take Super Mario 64's position in my all-time rankings (that would be third, behind Super Mario 3 in 1st and Ocarina of Time in 2nd). It's more like the 2D Marios, which I always liked better than the 3D ones. It's the true sequel to Super Mario 64, and it's also the true sequel to Super Mario Bros. 3. It perfectly fuses the best of 2D Mario with the third dimension. I can see, however, how those that loved 64 and Sunshine because of the free, open worlds would be a bit disappointed by it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShreddersDojo

• View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: December 30, 2007, 04:10:09 PM »
I can't remember what star I'm up to, but like others, I am having more fun with this game than any other as of late.  It really is as close to a 2D game as one can get in  the 3D realm.  No bothersome side quests, no pointless exploring that doesn't add anything to the game.  Just straight out pick up and go fun.

I'm currently up to the third level, or what seems to be the underwater area.  Is the storybook thing something that is worth keeping up with, when more pages are unlocked?

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: December 30, 2007, 04:17:32 PM »
It's a neat distraction, but nothing earth-shattering.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: December 30, 2007, 04:56:48 PM »
Yeah that sums up the game LOL. Just kidding. KN trust me just keep playing, I felt similar but appreciated it more the more stars I got. Even moreso on my second playthrough, even though the challenge is completely gone.

Oh yeah and the Sunshine commercial is still the best commercial ever.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #1192 on: December 31, 2007, 02:51:49 AM »
KN I level with your feelings 100%. If you do happen to look back through the other pages in the thread you can clearly see my position on the game. Even after finishing the game (120 stars) and starting a second play-through my feelings stayed consistent. I enjoyed Sunshine quite a bit more, but like insano said, everyone does agree that this is a fantastic game, it's just a matter of how great in the big picture of gaming they think it is.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: December 31, 2007, 03:37:49 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
I have a question for you Psychonaut fans. Does that game have Mario Galaxy esque planetoids? I keep hearing how Galaxy isn't that innovative and Psychonauts has a level that is based on a similar design.
As KDR said, the two games can't really be compared.  I just beat Psychonauts two days ago and while I loved it, Galaxy has it beat by light years in terms of platforming.  The biggest draw to Psychonauts is the story, the characters and the dialog.  The actual level design is pretty basic and (save for a couple areas) fairly unexciting.  There are a few areas that twist around in a clever way (think the spiral areas in the Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time) but it's really just a visual face-lift, and it doesn't have much effect on how you play the stage.

Check out the Zero Punctuation review for Psychonauts.  It pretty much explains everything you need to know.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: January 01, 2008, 09:08:37 PM »
OMG WTF!!!! Luigi's Purple Coins are you f#(kin kidding me!!!?
I colleceted it all but, how in the hell am I supposed to get back to the star!?
Do I have to leave a path? I think its hard enough just to collect 100 when you have to battle the camera for viewing position.

Was there some sort of pattern that I'm not seeing? But either way, this is where all the challenge that the rest of the game was missing has been hiding.

p.s. I am @ 112 stars, and I hope the full ending is much better than the 1st one.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: January 02, 2008, 01:56:49 AM »
I'm at 86 so far. I liek the game but something is missing. The level designs and platform is frustratingly addictive but it all feels too disconnected. After you complete a level, back to the observatory.

I enjoyed Metroid Prime (all three) more because it was a a single flowing world and connected gameplay.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: January 02, 2008, 04:22:58 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
I have a question for you Psychonaut fans. Does that game have Mario Galaxy esque planetoids? I keep hearing how Galaxy isn't that innovative and Psychonauts has a level that is based on a similar design.
As KDR said, the two games can't really be compared.  I just beat Psychonauts two days ago and while I loved it, Galaxy has it beat by light years in terms of platforming.  The biggest draw to Psychonauts is the story, the characters and the dialog.  The actual level design is pretty basic and (save for a couple areas) fairly unexciting.  There are a few areas that twist around in a clever way (think the spiral areas in the Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time) but it's really just a visual face-lift, and it doesn't have much effect on how you play the stage.

Check out the Zero Punctuation review for Psychonauts.  It pretty much explains everything you need to know.  

I think level design is probably the most important element of Psychonaughts.  Every level is unique, engaging, and a joy to explore.  They aren't meant to be heavy platforming levels like Mario.  A better example of a Mario like planet is the cube that is agent 9's mind.  The cube gravity didn't really change the gameplay it just gave you a unique and great level to explore that represented a perfectly controlled and tight mind.  

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: January 02, 2008, 06:57:41 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
OMG WTF!!!! Luigi's Purple Coins are you f#(kin kidding me!!!?
I colleceted it all but, how in the hell am I supposed to get back to the star!?
Do I have to leave a path? I think its hard enough just to collect 100 when you have to battle the camera for viewing position.

Was there some sort of pattern that I'm not seeing? But either way, this is where all the challenge that the rest of the game was missing has been hiding.
I had the same problem you're experiencing at first, but if you plan it out you can get there and back pretty easily.

My path was to:

1)  collect the coins on the right half of the disappearing squares by the start (leave the left half untouched)
2)  then go left and get the coins on the revolving squares (and the cluster of 5 or 6 hanging off the edge)
3)  then go up to the right and do a long jump across the right line of coins floating above the deadly water
4)  then collect the 8 or 10 coins on the disappearing squares before doing another long jump across the water to collect the remaining line of coins

By that point you should have about 60 coins (in under 30 seconds), which should make it so you can easily collect the remaining coins without trapping yourself.  Just be sure to leave yourself a path to return to the start and you'll be in good shape.  I recommend trying to collect as many of the coin clusters as you can because it cuts down on the time needed by quite a bit, which will give you more time to plan out your route.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: January 02, 2008, 08:50:26 AM »
I'm at 118 stars.  All I have left is Luigi's Purple Coins and the hidden star on Dusty Dunes Desert.
(I'm not sure if I need to spoiler that, but whatever)

I got 100 coins on the first level listed above, but died right after.  I was in the air when I got the 100th coin, then I had to wait for the stupid movie to be over, then the damn camera changed and I died.  I even left a path for myself to return to the beginning!  I know I can get it though.

But what I really need help with is the second one.  I know I must be doing it completely wrong, because I've died so many times, due to those damn Dry Bones, and they shouldn't be giving me that much trouble.  It's really frustrating.  
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: January 02, 2008, 09:04:25 PM »
BTW, do regular 100 coin stars exist in Galaxy?