Author Topic: Give me Mario Kart or give me death  (Read 141290 times)

Offline Boffo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Give me Mario Kart or give me death
« on: February 07, 2003, 10:58:34 PM »
I really hope this game comes out this year, and I hope it blows me away.  

Edit: The original title to this thread was GIVE ME MARIO KART OR GIVE ME DEATH!      

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 11:16:16 PM »
Chill out man,its out in the UK near the end of the year(according to the Nintendo Release Dates )
so it should be out in the USA soon too!!!
Its always better to be pissed off than pissed on!

Offline Stealthy Warrior

• Sport Editor's Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 11:40:43 PM »
Actually, the death thing made it intriguing.  The simple fact that you're willing to die if the game is not released is moving.  Also, I'd like to see you put your money where your mouth is, so here's hoping it gets pushed back.
HAR!  I KNEW I SIGNED UP IN 2003!!!

Offline Bishman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 11:46:43 PM »
Mario Tennis

Mario Kart

Heard that Mario 128 will use the Pikmin engine.  

Offline Game_Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2003, 12:17:52 AM »

Originally posted by: Stealthy Warrior
Actually, the death thing made it intriguing.  The simple fact that you're willing to die if the game is not released is moving.  Also, I'd like to see you put your money where your mouth is, so here's hoping it gets pushed back.

Yeah, and when you kill yourself could you try to do it in style. Perhaps you could dress up as a bird and try to "fly" off a cliff. Or if you wanted to die painfully you could staple your genital(s) to a traintrack and wait for a train to come passed, and then (assuming your still alive) jump in a volcano that's erupting while listening to Celine Dion on some headphones.

Anyway, Mario Kart was a huge seller on N64, it sold over 5 million copies in the US alone! I remember reading somewhere that Miyamoto said he couldn't show a single screenshot of Mario Kart GC because it would reveal a new aspect of the gameplay. Ill find a link if you want, but i cant be bothered right now...

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2003, 12:33:06 AM »
Despite its less 'Mature' theme Mario Kart will boost GCN sales so badly its unbelievable.
Ive yet to meet any gamer who didnt love Mario Kart 64/SNES.
Its not like im expecting every PS2 or Xbox owner to a GCN coz of Mario Kart, but, with the near irresistible GCN 2003 lineup and Mario Kart im sure GCN will become the alternative choice to those who can afford it.

Before you bash me to death, this is my opinion, perhaps slightly exxagerated and not to be perceived as a fact
LZ 2005

Offline jme

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2003, 12:45:17 AM »

Originally posted by: Bishman

Mario 128 was an early gamecube technical demo to show that 128 sprites could be on the screen each doing their own thing while keeping a constant framerate. The mario 128 tech. demo was the "wireframe" design for Pikmin. Shiggy already said that. A long time ago.

But I'll keep the rumor mill going.

I heard from a Nintendo Rep. that at this years E3 Nintendo will announce a release date for a game they haven't let anyone know they were working on, and it will be out by the end of the year for a worldwide release. The game? Duck Hunt Championship.

That's right, a new duck hunt. And it even comes bundled with a light gun in either Black Indigo Platinum or Spice. It will also support up to 4 players and a trophy system. Players may even be able to unlock a Nintendo classic as a reward.
and i ain't lyin' neither!

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2003, 12:51:34 AM »

Originally posted by: jme

Originally posted by: Bishman

Mario 128 was an early gamecube technical demo to show that 128 sprites could be on the screen each doing their own thing while keeping a constant framerate. The mario 128 tech. demo was the "wireframe" design for Pikmin. Shiggy already said that. A long time ago.

But I'll keep the rumor mill going.

I heard from a Nintendo Rep. that at this years E3 Nintendo will announce a release date for a game they haven't let anyone know they were working on, and it will be out by the end of the year for a worldwide release. The game? Duck Hunt Championship.

That's right, a new duck hunt. And it even comes bundled with a light gun in either Black Indigo Platinum or Spice. It will also support up to 4 players and a trophy system. Players may even be able to unlock a Nintendo classic as a reward.

LOL I highly doubt that,but it's a fun idea.

I've been waiting a long time for a new Mario Kart.
I hope it's great.

Offline KirbySStar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2003, 02:00:23 AM »
Do we get to kill the dog this time?

Offline Boffo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2003, 02:23:45 AM »
People, people.  It's an expression.  

Offline ShanD

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2003, 04:12:36 AM »
I need Mario Kart. I need it now. BTW, the new aspect may either be ONLINE, diffrerent types of vehicles, a new character to the Mario world, or OLD SCHOOL POWERUPS. You get a feather, and then your car can fly, you grab a frog suit and you can take shortcuts underwater, etc, etc.
hay guyzz wuts goin on in dis sig

Offline egman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2003, 04:18:00 AM »

Originally posted by: Hemmorrhoid
Despite its less 'Mature' theme Mario Kart will boost GCN sales so badly its unbelievable.
Ive yet to meet any gamer who didnt love Mario Kart 64/SNES.
Its not like im expecting every PS2 or Xbox owner to a GCN coz of Mario Kart, but, with the near irresistible GCN 2003 lineup and Mario Kart im sure GCN will become the alternative choice to those who can afford it.

Before you bash me to death, this is my opinion, perhaps slightly exxagerated and not to be perceived as a fact

That may be your opinion, but I have seen for myself that there is demand for Mario Kart. Last night I was getting a birthday gift for my brother at Circuit City. I was thumbing through the Gamecube section and overheard two girls there who were actually looking for Mario Kart for GC. They left before I could tell them that it's not out but it's on its way. Hopefully Nintendo isn't loosing a lot sales over this kind of thing.

Although this is just one experince, I think it is truly telling. These girls didn't look like hardcore gamers (I could be wrong though), so I feel that Mario Kart may turn out do more good to Gamecube than what we may have thought SMS, MP, or even what LOZ:WW may do (Wind Waker may make some heads turn, however. It certainly had the attention of a few customers while I played the demo last night).

Nintendo needs to get this game out as fast as possible, because like you, I'm beginning to think that this may be the system seller that they have been hoping for.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2003, 09:40:04 AM »
Yes excactly, people want Mario Kart. Thats one thing Nintendo is master at, fascinating less involved gamers with simple yet ultimate fun games. MArio Kart is prime example, I know people who dislike Mario Party, Mario Tennis hell even SSBM which are all simple but very fun.
But I have yet to meet the person who says, Mario Kart isnt fun. I mean, its a game I could make my mom or little sis play, but all my 'cool' friends would want me to bring my GCN over to play Mario Kart

They must make this online, allthough im not sure if I need it, it adds to its incredible value especially for people who have no friends and live in a cottage
LZ 2005

Offline SsSteveK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2003, 11:44:23 AM »
I really want Mario Kart GCN, but there are so many other great games coming out this year.  I'm already spending hundreds of dollars on games such as Pikmin 2, Mario 128, Zelda: Wind Waker, Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire, Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Adventure DX, Golden Sun 2, Advance Wars 2, Soul Calibur 2, F-Zero GCN, and the GBA SP (I've already fully-paid off half of these games through preordering).  If one more game is squeezed into there, I may have some poverty issues.  If one of these games were to slip into 2004, then Mario Kart GCN could take its place and I would definitely get it.

Offline Toolvana

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2003, 01:23:50 PM »

Mario 128 was an early gamecube technical demo to show that 128 sprites could be on the screen each doing their own thing while keeping a constant framerate.

The 128 Mario's in that tech demo were not "sprites", they were polygonal.

Mario Kart with internet/lan play would be so great. I can hardly imagine how fun that would be.

Offline Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2003, 01:35:52 PM »
I want to see Mario Kart Online.  Online is what we need a lot more of.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline MarioFoxZelda

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2003, 01:47:10 PM »
i want to see mario kart period.
what

Offline Cerberus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2003, 02:19:21 PM »

Originally posted by: BishmanI heard from a Nintendo Rep. that at this years E3 Nintendo will announce a release date for a game they haven't let anyone know they were working on, and it will be out by the end of the year for a worldwide release. The game? Duck Hunt Championship.

A free lightgun? Sweet. It better be $30-$40 though because 50 dollars is too much to ask for if you're playing a Duck Hunt game.

Wouldn't it be cool if Mario Kart: GCN will connect to the Super Circuit game for GBA? (But what would be the use for it connecting to the GC?)
You can pick you friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2003, 03:50:15 PM »
I don't care if Mario Kart is online or not. Although I would rather it be online, it won't REALLY matter when that game comes out, because I agree, it will be GANBUSTERS when it comes out.

I just hope that it lives up to our bloated expectations. For as little as this franchise is hyped it is surely beloved by most ALL gamers.

As for that Duck Hunt story, it's doubtful, but a lightgun eh? hmmm...Hogan's Alley CUBED! YEAH!!

Offline Kulock

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2003, 03:51:37 PM »
Super Circuit was created far too early for there to be any links into a Mario Kart game still in development, unless Nintendo left in vague hooks like they did in some N64 games for later 64DD enhancements. But I don't think any current GBA Mario Kart would be able to link with it. A future GBA Mario Kart, maybe...

And yes, online, leaning a little more toward the SNES and GBA's style than the N64 style, and just... kick-arse. Got to love the Bowser's Castle stages. I like the idea of the frog suit powerup, water was always a hinderance in previous Mario Kart games...

Oh, one question, IGN's "Games of 2003" article mentioned offhand that the Mario Kart promo video (which I just think they mocked up, like the Zelda video, not a true representation of the game) was shown off first at E3 2002, wasn't it shown off far earlier than that, at E3 2001 before the console was even released?

Offline dolphin558

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2003, 04:07:39 PM »
I don't want Mario Kart to resemble Diddy Kong Racing in that it you could use aerial vehicles as well.  I want straight Mario Kart action.  I hope  it's multiplayer!!!
Jesus is Lord, faith in Him = only access to heaven

Offline jme

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2003, 06:25:55 PM »
Umm... just for those of you who seem to be confused about the duck hunt thing:

I WAS COMPLETLY LYING. As I said I was feeding the "rumor mill" You know, creating rumors just to see what kind of response it gets. How do you think most of the rumors started? Somebody posts "Yo, I heard blah blah blah about blah blah game. It's off da hook" and other people join in and post on other boards "Yeah I heard blah blah" It's ridiculous and I was making a point.

Obviously no one got it.
and i ain't lyin' neither!

Offline Lucent97

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2003, 09:16:03 PM »
IT WILL ROCK ....... period.
Played super Circuit for like 2 months straight .... and will be used a test for my GBA SP (g'bye next month :evil
Destiny belongs to those who search for it

Offline Boffo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2003, 02:29:08 AM »
Ya, the promo video was shown at E3 2001, they just made a typo or a braino.

Offline Boffo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2003, 05:43:44 PM »