Author Topic: Resident Evil 4 Discussion  (Read 177149 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Resident Evil 4 Discussion
« Reply #1275 on: June 11, 2010, 04:49:10 PM »
I imagine they're Plagas-infested versions of Chimaeras from REmake. A lot of the RE4 creatures don't have good explainations, among them the Novistadors and Salaazar's buddies.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: June 11, 2010, 04:56:30 PM »
I imagine they're Plagas-infested versions of Chimaeras from REmake. A lot of the RE4 creatures don't have good explainations, among them the Novistadors and Salaazar's buddies.

Actually most of the RE 4 baddies are fairly original. I actually played RE 4 for the PS2 about ten times in row around the time I graduated from high school in 2007. I was so fascinated by the game that I actually wrote several pages of notes on the origins of the RE 4 baddies and their biology. However, my flash drive that I had the data on was erased and I am starting from scratch.

In fact I bought the wii edition of this game and it is perhaps the most superior version of the game available.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: June 11, 2010, 05:08:46 PM »
In fact I bought the wii edition of this game and it is perhaps the most superior version of the game available.

There is no "perhaps".  It is the superior version of the game, not only due to the Wii pointer controls but also because it has all the content that's previously been made for the game.  The only thing really bad about it are the graphics, which take a lot of time to adjust to (presumably because the visuals were stretched to create a widescreen image).

As for the flying bugs, Halbred's theory is about as plausible as any because I do think they were meant to pay homage to the Chimeras.  Besides, we'll see in RE5 quite a few past monsters have been repurposed for current use by this point in the RE timeline (the leeches, anyone?).  I wouldn't think too hard about the (*Dr. Insano voice*) "SCIENCE!" of the RE universe, though.  It's clearly made up as they went along.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: June 11, 2010, 05:12:52 PM »

There is no "perhaps".  It is the superior version of the game, not only due to the Wii pointer controls but also because it has all the content that's previously been made for the game.  The only thing really bad about it are the graphics, which take a lot of time to adjust to (presumably because the visuals were stretched to create a widescreen image).

As for the flying bugs, Halbred's theory is about as plausible as any because I do think they were meant to pay homage to the Chimeras.  Besides, we'll see in RE5 quite a few past monsters have been repurposed for current use by this point in the RE timeline (the leeches, anyone?).  I wouldn't think too hard about the (*Dr. Insano voice*) "SCIENCE!" of the RE universe, though.  It's clearly made up as they went along.

I just thought it would be kind of cool to discuss how the creatures of RE 4 were made in the game's universe.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: June 11, 2010, 06:11:22 PM »
My Favorite enemy is Dr. Salvador and his Chainsaw. I dislike the chain gun enemies and Krauser's 2nd boss fight is the toughest boss.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1280 on: June 11, 2010, 06:13:28 PM »
Heh, I actually thought that the Oroboros Virus in RE5 was pretty funny. It's like the writers forced RE0 to become a real part of the continuity. Instead of dealing with the T-Virus, G-Virus, or Code Veronica Virus, they go all the way back to the Progenitor Virus.

@ShyGuy: Yes, Krauser's second form is very difficult, although once you learn how to bait him, he gets easier. The fact that you're under a time limit blows, though.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: June 11, 2010, 06:31:30 PM »
I really like the regenerators and I will be writing about their biology soon.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: June 11, 2010, 06:33:37 PM »

I'll never understand why the regenerators never returned for RE5, considering they worked so well as one of the few "old school Resident Evil"-like monsters in RE4.  Instead we got the Lickers, who were suddenly built like tanks and obnoxious.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: June 11, 2010, 06:46:46 PM »

I'll never understand why the regenerators never returned for RE5, considering they worked so well as one of the few "old school Resident Evil"-like monsters in RE4.  Instead we got the Lickers, who were suddenly built like tanks and obnoxious.
The betas did tend to take a lot of ammo when not using the infinite rocket launcher.  And they swarmed in packs rather than as individuals like they used to do.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: June 11, 2010, 07:16:20 PM »

I just thought it would be kind of cool to discuss how the creatures of RE 4 were made in the game's universe.

There's not much point in Resident Evil games: with everything being subject to complete retcon at any time, any explanation they give is want to be completely ignored so that enemy X can also appear in a different situation where it has no business being.  See, e.g., Tyrants, Crimson Heads, Zombies.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: June 11, 2010, 09:34:51 PM »
I mostly just want to try a game in the series because it is long-running, it doesn't really look like something I'd like. Though Resident Evil 4 is more about shooting action, so it has a better chance. The only one I own is Resident Evil 2 on Nintendo 64, but if I remember rightly, it is a continuation of the first game, so it wouldn't be a good one to start with.

If I wanted to play the older games, I'd probably get the Chronicles games instead, they look more fun. Plus my sister likes shooters, it's something we could play together.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: June 11, 2010, 10:32:25 PM »
I mostly just want to try a game in the series because it is long-running, it doesn't really look like something I'd like. Though Resident Evil 4 is more about shooting action, so it has a better chance. The only one I own is Resident Evil 2 on Nintendo 64, but if I remember rightly, it is a continuation of the first game, so it wouldn't be a good one to start with.

If I wanted to play the older games, I'd probably get the Chronicles games instead, they look more fun. Plus my sister likes shooters, it's something we could play together.

Actually, Resident Evil 2 on the N64 was my first Resident Evil game, and I enjoyed it just fine.  The game references the first at the very beginning, but otherwise it's very much its own story.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1287 on: June 12, 2010, 02:31:21 AM »
Heh, I actually thought that the Oroboros Virus in RE5 was pretty funny. It's like the writers forced RE0 to become a real part of the continuity. Instead of dealing with the T-Virus, G-Virus, or Code Veronica Virus, they go all the way back to the Progenitor Virus.

@ShyGuy: Yes, Krauser's second form is very difficult, although once you learn how to bait him, he gets easier. The fact that you're under a time limit blows, though.

Oh yeah, that fight where I only use THE KNIFE to beat him in 20sec.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: June 12, 2010, 03:27:40 AM »

Oh yeah, that fight where I only use THE KNIFE to beat him in 20sec.

F I S T ! ! ! ! ! !

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1289 on: June 12, 2010, 05:16:41 AM »
Try using only THE KNIFE to take care of his first phase.  It's exhilarating.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: June 12, 2010, 02:28:21 PM »

RE4's pretty much a standalone title: the intro tells you that the bad guys are now gone, the hero in this game was in RE2, and that's 95% of how this game relates to the original.  There is a little more tie-in involved, but it came out of left field even for people who obsessively track the series' plotline, so being new to the series doesn't hurt in any way.

If you're going for one of the Chronicles games, be warned that 1) they're both pretty slow-paced for a light-gun game, and 2) Darkside Chronicles is superior in most ways, save for being slightly more chatty than the original.  They're both fun to play through, though, and since you don't follow the series you won't notice or care about the liberties they take with the other games' plots.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1291 on: June 13, 2010, 11:38:30 PM »
No, no it's not. Umbrella is the better game.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: June 14, 2010, 12:34:50 AM »

You seem to be one of the few who think so.  I prefer Darkside Chronicles myself, just because the experience in the stages is so much more immersive than Umbrella's (which often feels like you're riding a shoot 'em up theme park ride.

Incidentally, I'm replaying RE5 right now, and Sheva's dumbass AI aside (which, after already having done a full playthrough a year ago, I already know how to deal with the worst of) I'm probably enjoying the game a lot more now than I did my first playthrough (though the lengths you have to go to to prevent Sheva from interfering in trophy attempts is aggravating).  I'd also forgotten just how hard that game can be, how easy it can be to run out of ammo in your first playthrough (especially since Sheva will only use a secondary weapon if her pistol runs out of ammo and she can't find any more).  Unfortunately, I'm entering Chapter 3-1 now, the chapter where Japan's will-full ignorance of other cultures becomes glaringly obvious, as well as probably the chapter I enjoyed the least.

Oh yeah...RE4.  Well, I'm probably going to pick the Wii version of the game up again sometime in the near future since it's pretty cheap now.  About a year ago, I had to start getting rid of a lot of games I didn't wish to lose to obtain new ones, as I was unemployed for a lengthy period of time.  RE4 Wii's turn is coming up soon.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 01:07:46 AM by broodwars »

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: June 14, 2010, 03:48:51 PM »

Explain yourself!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: June 14, 2010, 03:51:52 PM »

Explain yourself!

He wrote the site review for it.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: June 14, 2010, 03:54:35 PM »

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: June 15, 2010, 09:30:51 PM »

Actually, Resident Evil 2 on the N64 was my first Resident Evil game, and I enjoyed it just fine.  The game references the first at the very beginning, but otherwise it's very much its own story.

Same here, however I did get to play the demo of RE1 so I was a little familiar with it. I think 2 is the better game (between 1 & 2, never played 3 and while I only ever played the REmake of 1, i still found 2 more memorable/enjoyable) so starting with that is fine, but starting with 4 is just as good. The only warning I have is that its a different beast than its predecessors.

It's not a bad thing, but if you want to play a game in the series because its a long standing one, I wouldn't really recommend choosing the most different of the bunch. Then again it really doesn't matter since you suggested trying the Chronicles games so this whole post was a waste of time :P
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: June 16, 2010, 04:42:38 PM »
*Removed by author due to being in the wrong topic*
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 04:47:24 PM by broodwars »