Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia - best GC RPG  (Read 16976 times)

Offline Phazon77

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Skies of Arcadia - best GC RPG
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2003, 07:50:45 PM »
Arggghh! I have to wait till saturday to get this awesome game!! Its killing me because I have a four day week end and I could play so much... ooh the tourture!!!
oh and I never knew about the white map either... How much play time would it take to get that many moon-fish?
-sig in the works-

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2003, 05:54:18 PM »
I also picked it up today. Havent been able to play it but i plan to later this week. Loved the DC version, hope this one sells so the GC gets the sequel

Offline Chris150

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2003, 06:50:46 PM »
I just beat the game, it's one of the best RPGs I've ever played. I played from the time i woke up till the time I went to bed, which was usually late. The endings nice, i like it, sorta funny too. Can't wait for the sequal. I think my favorite move is Prophacy. Reminds me of the judgement day move in Golden Sun. They could've taken out the random battles but oh well. I don't won't go play it for a while though, I'd be a pain to go through everything again.
AC Info:
Town: PsiWater
Name: Chris(space before the C)

Offline JSR

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2003, 07:34:35 PM »
Congrats on beating it Chris!

I just have one question about Skies of Arcadia. I am getting the game either way. Here’s the question: Does it have voice acting or just text? It doesn’t really matter, I’m just wondering. Thanks.
It's Random and It's Nintendo - Random Nintendo

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2003, 07:43:46 PM »

Originally posted by: JSR

I just have one question about Skies of Arcadia. I am getting the game either way. Here’s the question: Does it have voice acting or just text? It doesn’t really matter, I’m just wondering. Thanks.

Mainly text. There are a few points where VA comes in but I'm not sure if that'll count for you. Pretty much when they cast a spell, use a special attack, and a few points in the game when they do an action like "YAY!" or "Uh huh" *nods head*

Stuff like that

Offline JSR

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2003, 07:47:11 PM »
Thanks Sky! That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.
It's Random and It's Nintendo - Random Nintendo

Offline Razex

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2003, 10:33:56 AM »
I really want to get this game once I finish Shenmue II (I know I'm a little behind, one of my friends gave me his import copy since he got it on Xbox). But right now I'm strapped for cash. I was wondering if I should just get the DC version of SoA instead, since it's probably about $10. I'm just afraid of the random battles, because some people have been saying how ridiculous it was in the DC version. So basically I'm asking if the $50 are really worth it for the GC version, when I can get the DC version for $30-40 less. Anyone who has played both versions, any feedback would be helpful.

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2003, 10:39:14 AM »

Originally posted by: Razex
I really want to get this game once I finish Shenmue II (I know I'm a little behind, one of my friends gave me his import copy since he got it on Xbox). But right now I'm strapped for cash. I was wondering if I should just get the DC version of SoA instead, since it's probably about $10. I'm just afraid of the random battles, because some people have been saying how ridiculous it was in the DC version. So basically I'm asking if the $50 are really worth it for the GC version, when I can get the DC version for $30-40 less. Anyone who has played both versions, any feedback would be helpful.

Hmm... Maybe you can just wait until the new version drops in price first. However, that might take some time.

The DC versions random battles are really bad though. In dungeons is was semi-tolerable but when traveling by airship they were quite an annoyance (since you'll be exploring more in the airship). Legends also provides more extras than just lowering the ratio of random battles. There's the moon fish collecting, the wanted battles, Pianta, and perhaps other things I have yet to find out.

It's up to you though on whether or not you consider these extras worth it. I just detailed the extras, you make the choice.

Offline Razex

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2003, 10:56:26 AM »
I need something to hold me over until Zelda comes out, and something besides a remake of OOT of the remix that is Ura-Zelda. I'll find a way to scrape some money together to get the GC version, since it sounds like it's worth it. I wouldn't be able to take the random battles in the DC version probably. But I'll try to rent it first, if my Blockbuster actually has it. They never had Soccer Slam, and I don't think they had Super Monkey Ball for a while either, so I don't know about SoAL. But I'll find a way to make some money since I'm not working right now and won't be for a while...I can usually get my friends to pay me to do stupid things. I'm just a big joke to them.....

*cries in a corner*

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2003, 01:53:11 PM »
Im enjoying this very much, but im troubled that Sega hasnt given it adds on TV yet continues to plug Panzeer Dragoon!

Offline Fated Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2003, 05:25:28 PM »
I've been playing SOA: Legends. I did own the Dreamcast version, but I was kind of disappointed with it at the time. The random battles were excessive IMO... even compared to older games like FF1 and the NES Dragon Warrior titles.

But I did try the game again on the GCN, and I find it much more entertaining now. There are less random encounters (still too many, though) and some of the new features are actually pretty interesting. Mainly, I'm interested in the story this time, even though it didn't really draw me in the first time I played. And though it may sound silly, it's great to play the game with a controller that doesn't cause physical pain after extended use

Offline Chris150

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2003, 06:56:29 PM »
After beating the game, I went back and got alot of things i missed. I'm wondering though.... I've reached Vyse, the King of Rogues for my rank. How can I make it higher than that? I know there's one more level, I just hope i didn't screw up perminently. Also I got The Bounty King after I cleared the wanted list, will this rank stay like that? And has anyone heard any word on the sequal?
AC Info:

Offline OutOfTheCube

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2003, 06:58:21 PM »
Too bad it's a pretty crappy game...
I'm baaaaaack!

-OOTC

Offline Chris150

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2003, 07:12:23 PM »
I didn't think it was crappy... Pretty darn good game IMO...
AC Info:

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2003, 08:54:36 PM »
Buenosdingdongdidlydias new and old friends, its me Hypertails15 but I like Caterkiller better. I love Skys of Arcadia, I only had it for 3 days and I am eating it up. I wasn't to fond of the first few hours but now its very very enjoyable.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Celsius

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2003, 09:26:16 PM »
This game is indeed the best GCN RPG's and actually one of the best RPG's on the market.  It's been a long long while since I've been hooked to a game, and Skies of Arcadia has me hooked.  I'm 7+ Hours into the game and it's hard to stop playing.  If you don't have it then get it NOW!  I hope this game sells really well so Sega can put more RPG's on GCN and they even said themselves...a sequel depends on whether this sells or not.
"What! Sarah, look not upon me with doubting eyes." - Motoko Aoyoma (Love Hina: Mystery Guests at Hinata Hotel)

Offline Celsius

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2003, 11:09:13 PM »
btw...does anyone know if they dubbed the voices...or is it the same in the Japanese version?  And if it is dubbed...do you know if they used different actors?  thanks.
"What! Sarah, look not upon me with doubting eyes." - Motoko Aoyoma (Love Hina: Mystery Guests at Hinata Hotel)

Offline Chris150

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2003, 06:35:43 AM »
I'm pretty sure i heard somewhere that the sequal was announced. I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything about it.
AC Info:

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2003, 04:49:45 PM »
Overworks said they make a sequel if it sold well. Since it bombed in Japan and Overworks is working on other games, it doesn't look like we'll be getting a sequel anytime soon.

I was checking out Circuitcity.com and Skies of Arcadia is sold out. I don't know if it is because Sega shipped a limited supply or that it selling like hotcakes. It is good that people are buying this game.

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2003, 08:56:05 PM »

Originally posted by: Mingesium
Overworks said they make a sequel if it sold well. Since it bombed in Japan and Overworks is working on other games, it doesn't look like we'll be getting a sequel anytime soon.

It bombed in Japan, but that doesn't mean that it won't sell well in the U.S.

Remember that Skies of Arcadia for the DC sold much better in the U.S. as well.

Originally posted by: Mingesium
I was checking out Circuitcity.com and Skies of Arcadia is sold out. I don't know if it is because Sega shipped a limited supply or that it selling like hotcakes. It is good that people are buying this game.

It's a bit of both... Sega shipped a limited supply that happened to sell like hotcakes. Why doesn't Sega ship more to meet demand? Don't ask me... ask Sega...

Offline One of a Kind

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2003, 09:43:19 PM »
I've played almost 20 hours of this game, and I love it. It has to be one of the best RPGs on the market. I love how you have all the extras in the game like the discoveries or collecting bounties. I hope this sells good because I would love to see a sequel to this.
"The fear I See When I Look In Your Eyes. Makes You Believe I'm One of a Kind"

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2003, 08:01:37 AM »
i hope it sells well too. there is so much they could do with the story and making a sequal fresh on the gamecube. i got it yesterday and played it for 6 hours......i have to hold off for the long weekend, because i have tons of classes, but this is 1 of the few games that was able to get my attention and keep it. 6 hours is a lot of playing, and i still want more. it is truely a great game.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Christberg

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2003, 08:14:16 AM »
Really great game, glad they ported it because I never got to finish it on DC.

Hopefully the cube gets at least a couple RPGs this good that are new to it.  That'd be even better- Skies of Arcadia 2 anyone?

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2003, 08:49:18 AM »
I'm begging to doubt the Japanese taste in video games. They certainly make great games, but if DOAX is selling well there that can't bode well for them. When we were kids they were scared to send RPG's over here cause they thought we were to dumb to play 'em. Now it seems like the opposite. We love the new hardcore RPGs and they'll only play FF and DQ. Strange. Then again, maybe its just that this is a GC board and GC RPGs are so few and far between we've got to love what we get.

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2003, 10:23:42 AM »
To echo all the accolades to this game, it definitely does bring back the feeling of being immersed in a story that Nintendo systems have been lacking.  I am very impressed with the game, it follows a formula similar to Golden Sun; however, I wish the character dialogue was complimented by voice acting.  I know in the battle screens there is some voice acting with the attacks, but it would've been much better to have some voice acting along the lines of Kingdom Hearts.  Other than that complaint, this is hands down, the best RPG for the GCN at the moment.  I also really hope this game sells well for Sega so the GCN loyals get their hands on a sequel.

cUbIsT
NNID: Island_Gamer