Author Topic: String topics being renamed?  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Oz_joker

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
String topics being renamed?
« on: June 17, 2003, 01:48:16 PM »
About a week ago, I posted a topic in the GameCube discussion forum titled "Wind Waker is sooo Blurrrrrry!", or something to that effect.

To my concern,  I have just noticed that it has been renamed " Wind Waker's Depth of Field Blur and Odd Vertical Lines".

Why was it renamed? Is this the work of the forum's moderator? If so, then I would seriously question if their ego has gone to their head. What good is free speech if everything you say get's filtered through a moderator? I can certainly understand and support offensive posting's being altered or deleted, but there is certainly nothing offensive in the strings' topic, and cannot understand the re-naming of the posts' title.

Again, I stress  that I am assuming that this is the work of a forum moderator, and would appreciate an explanation.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: String topics being renamed?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 03:06:24 PM »
Read the rules.  First, your topic needs to reflect what you're talking about, and if it isn't accurate enough, we're going to rename it.  Second, there is no free speech outside of public forums, and this is NOT a public forum, and we have several areas (including the rules) that explain exactly why that's true.  Suffice it to say that you needed to register to post here, and agreed to abide by our rules, which turns this into a private forum.  If "free speech" is what you crave, there are plenty of other places you can post.  We like to run a tighter ship here, because it makes the entire experience easier for everyone involved.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 03:11:25 PM »
I really grow tired of the "Free Speech" argument myself.  You also have the right to form and join political groups right?  How about if you decided to start up a neo-Nazi group?  Wouldn't you want someone to go smack them down?

Of course that's an entirely different situation than what's here, but really I don't see what the problem is.  The thread was renamed to something more logical.  It happened to one of my threads too, and when I saw it, I realized that I was in error, and the mod did a good thing.  I just fail to see where that's something worth griping about.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Oz_joker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 03:21:34 PM »
But I was not aware of the technical term, "depth of field blurring", to me it was simply very blurry, and this was the only way I could express that.

Thankyou for responding.

Don't worry, you won't recieve anymore posts from me on the PGC forums.  

Keep up the good work on the site.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 03:46:59 PM »
Nobody is saying that you can't post here.  On the contrary, I am sure that you are still quite welcome to come here and talk crap with us.    I was just sticking up for PGC's side of this.  IMHO, it's a good thing that the mods are around, even if they do things that we might not like from time to time.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
RE: String topics being renamed?
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2003, 05:17:30 PM »
I changed it because it was an invitation for other people to flame you.  How you present your topic is important, and I simply removed the emotional charge from the title to keep people from over reacting to your complaint.  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2003, 05:43:10 PM »
I think he was saying that this annoyed him for some reason, so this message board is unacceptable as of now.  Fool.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>