4 (8.2%)
No, but I will soon after
0 (0%)
No, maybe next year
11 (22.4%)
No plans at this time
4 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Who is buying a Wii U at launch?  (Read 15727 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Who is buying a Wii U at launch?
« on: November 14, 2012, 08:22:07 PM »
I was just curious of the percentage of people here who will be buying one on day one.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Who is buying a Wii U at launch?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 08:26:57 PM »
I WANT to get one this Sunday, but I wont have the money for it since I am in-between jobs at the moment.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Have one pre-ordered at Wal-Mart, so plan on getting it at Midnight. 

My local gamestop told me that they've had some people cancel their pre-orders on them though, so they made me swear I'd call them if I had any problems with my pre-order.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 08:49:30 PM »
I'm going to try my luck.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline MisterE13

• Student of the NWR Forums
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 08:52:33 PM »
Heading out after work to the (very far away) mall in town whose EB Games will be open the earliest that day and waiting it out, hopefully get some tips from my coworker who was the first in line for the iPhone 5 a few months ago XD

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 08:59:01 PM »
Only way my vote changes from "Not this year" is if the lottery ticket I bought into at work today pays off for $46 million.

I'd love to get me some MariU, but $400...
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 09:13:17 PM »
Pre-ordered mine as soon as Best Buy emailed me about it. I don't think I've ever bought a console from them but after nothing but shitty customer service at 5 different GameStops all in my immediate vicinity, I gave up on them years ago.

If I had known Nintendo World Store was going to have an event, I would of loved to of done my pre-order there; as far as I know it's the ONLY retailer doing a Midnight launch, which would be nice.. But not only is Best Buy closer but they offered the convenience of pre-ordering online. I actually pre-ordered it while at work, what could be better?

If I hadn't recently spent so much on my car, I'd still go to the NWS Launch event and try to pick one up as a gift, but that's not gonna happen unless..
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 09:24:38 PM »
I was one of the lucky few to get a preorder of a Deluxe system at GameStop just hours before they stopped taking them. I've got the system, a Pro Controller and all my games completely paid off, so I just need to walk in Sunday morning and pick them up. I can't wait!
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 09:34:23 PM »
I have enough of a backlog on the Wii and DS plus too many other things to spend money on right now that there's no way I could justify buying a WiiU.  Hopefully at some point I'll get one but that won't be until next year at least.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 09:47:35 PM »
I was one of the lucky few to get a preorder of a Deluxe system at GameStop just hours before they stopped taking them. I've got the system, a Pro Controller and all my games completely paid off, so I just need to walk in Sunday morning and pick them up. I can't wait!

They let you pre-order controllers!? wtf..

My Wii U is paid off and that's enough for me. I plan on strolling in casually around opening, not because I think there will be a line or anything - I just want to get as much game time in that day as possible, picking out at LEAST 1 game and heading home. I even have the following Monday off from work so I plan on playing it all damn night. It's been a long time since I've been able to do that with any video game or system.. that's the part that excites me the most.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 10:29:30 PM »
I pre-ordered mine at Best Buy in September, the Friday after Nintendo announced the price. It was a just-in-case-I-change-my-mind pre-order which worked out because I totally changed my mind. I heard that they were doing a midnight launch, but I'm going to call before I head up.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 11:09:34 PM »
You've made me realize that I don't actually know if my local Best Buy is doing a midnight launch or not. The on-line pre-order indicates only that system should by there by the launch day (per-ordered as an 'in-store pickup') and that the store would call when it's ready. Obviously that's your typical in store pick up order would say, and I haven't bothered finding out if they would do a midnight launch, because obviously they'll already have them in-store for launch..

excuse me, I need to make a phone call.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 12:19:57 AM »
"Yes, will try my luck" again.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 12:20:38 AM »
I won't buy it at launch since those units always have the most problems.  It's better to wait a few months so I can get a newer model that will have any problems the launch ones did fixed up.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Drizzt

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 08:52:31 AM »
Preordered the deluxe at Toys R US the day after the press conference since Gamestop had already sold out of preorders.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 09:22:15 AM »
pre-ordered @ BB day1

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 10:00:53 AM »
Sadly you won't be getting it at Sunday morning.  Closer to MIdday.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 10:25:11 AM »
I currently have two online pre-orders -- one at Future Shop and one at EB Games -- both of which were placed the weekend immediately following the September press event. I'm assuming/hoping/praying that one of those will go through, and that I will be getting my Wii U a day or two shortly after launch day.

I'm thinking about downloading NSMBU, since I'll have the deluxe digital promotion I should take advantage of. Either way, I'll be paying $60 for the game.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 11:10:01 AM »
Yeah, true, Ceric. My GameStop wasn't even given enough payroll/hours for them to do a midnight Black Ops 2 launch... so it more than likely isn't happening for Wii U. Though... the manager's response when I questioned her about this was, "We're just not sure. We have no clue yet." This was two days ago. :/
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 11:15:12 AM »
Yeah, true, Ceric. My GameStop wasn't even given enough payroll/hours for them to do a midnight Black Ops 2 launch... so it more than likely isn't happening for Wii U. Though... the manager's response when I questioned her about this was, "We're just not sure. We have no clue yet." This was two days ago. :/
Mine was that it ain't going to happen.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 11:40:43 AM »
I won't buy it at launch since those units always have the most problems.  It's better to wait a few months so I can get a newer model that will have any problems the launch ones did fixed up.

This is Nintendo hardware, you will be fine getting launch day software since launch systems rarely have problems.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 01:57:08 PM »

They open at 11; that's still technically morning. :)
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 02:31:55 PM »
This is Nintendo hardware, you will be fine getting launch day software since launch systems rarely have problems.

With the Wii some of the launch systems had problems playing Brawl because it was dual layered.  Sure it was a small amount but none of the systems released after launch were reported to have this problem.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2012, 02:34:06 PM »
I bought a red Wii (the one bundled with NSMBW) and it had this problem too (though my launch Wii did NOT have this problem). So it's not true that post-launch systems didn't have this problem. My point still remains that Nintendo launch systems rarely have problems.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 02:59:28 PM »
I will probably pick one up sometime next year. Money is tight at the moment.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.