Author Topic: Bands that I like (but other people hate)...  (Read 16412 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Matchbox Twenty
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2012, 10:42:17 PM »
Chevelle is more Progressive Rock...I wouldn't consider them grunge. Papa Roach...they're just terrible.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 11:17:09 PM »
Papa Roach...they're just terrible.

Finally, we agree on something!
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2012, 12:06:21 AM »
Same with my general hatred of Limp Bizkit and Creed.  EVERYONE hates those bands now.

Wait right there! I know that there were some people that managed to trick themselves into liking Creed at one point or another, but I absolutely refuse to believe that anyone has ever done anything but hate Limp Bizkit.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2012, 12:09:46 AM »
Limp Bizkit were pretty good for a few years. I haven't listed to any of their albums after Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Bands that I like (but other people hate)...
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2012, 01:08:38 AM »
I too like Matchbox Twenty

IM NOT CRAZY IM JUST A LITTLE UNWELL

I KNOW RIGHT NOW YOU CANT TELL

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2012, 01:45:42 AM »
It's all very dependent upon context for me. I have an old circle of friends who still listen to Metal (something which I still have an appreciation for but which I've kind of grew out of) and amongst them they'd hate most of the bands I now listen to (mostly folk, Indie & blues).

Whereas, amongst some people the fact that I can enjoy bands like Sepultura is unbelievable.

My point being, don't listen to anybody else and just dig the music you're into (as long as it's not Nickelback, Coldplay, Greenday or any other band I hate).  ;)
Gouge away.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2012, 01:58:02 AM »
Music is probably the type of entertainment where what other people like is the least relevant to you, as opposed to something like television, where ratings are everything and there are limited slots available, meaning if you don't like what's popular there aren't many options. With music, the indie scene is thriving, and lots of artists are succeeding outside the traditional establishment. If you don't like the top 40, you never have to hear it, and can focus on any number of other bands that better fit your tastes.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2012, 02:02:54 AM »
Music is probably the type of entertainment where what other people like is the least relevant to you, as opposed to something like television, where ratings are everything and there are limited slots available, meaning if you don't like what's popular there aren't many options. With music, the indie scene is thriving, and lots of artists are succeeding outside the traditional establishment. If you don't like the top 40, you never have to hear it, and can focus on any number of other bands that better fit your tastes.

It's too bad that there isn't an "indie TV" scene, where people can self broadcast their own shows. Well, I guess you can consider Youtube that, but I'm talking about actual television.

The gaming and music industries are allowing people to self-distribute their own works, so why can't TV let people distribute their own shows? I'm talking about actual television, not websites.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2012, 02:19:07 AM »
That's because their are only a finite number of spectrums to broadcast TV on. The closest you have are public access channels. TV shows can be self-distributed too, just online (same with video games, you don't see self-distributed video games physically anymore, except in rare cases).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2012, 03:05:49 AM »
That's because their are only a finite number of spectrums to broadcast TV on. The closest you have are public access channels. TV shows can be self-distributed too, just online (same with video games, you don't see self-distributed video games physically anymore, except in rare cases).

Then the answer is obviously internet TV. Everything else is switching to the internet, but TV still relies heavily on cable providers.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2012, 03:13:03 AM »
There already is Internet TV too, you even mentioned it in your post. There is original comment on YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, etc. People still prefer watching on TV's of course.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2012, 03:41:15 AM »
There already is Internet TV too, you even mentioned it in your post. There is original comment on YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, etc. People still prefer watching on TV's of course.

No, by "internet TV" I mean TV channels that are supplied through the internet, like AT&T's U-Verse... Or is that not the same thing?

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2012, 01:44:37 PM »
Maybe once we stop letting the cable companies write the laws, we can see such progress for distributed television. Really though, I get by just fine as a "cord cutter". I have a couple of set top boxes built up and a Netflix account. There are plenty of device options out there to buy nowadays as well. Boxee Box, Rokou, Google TV, etc. Television is dead, it just doesn't know it yet.

A little more on topic, I accidentally saw a band out at the pub last night. I later realized that they must have been scheduled there for a while, as I had seen their posters all over town. Their sound was a little raw, but surprisingly good for the genre... especially for this town's abysmal music scene. Anyway, I grabbed one of their flyers... their website is www.musicofeod.com. It looks like they have a few videos up on their YouTube account, it's just too bad the quality sucks.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 01:48:27 PM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2012, 01:47:24 PM »
The cable companies don't write the laws. There is just a finite amount of space, it's literally not possible to have an unlimited amount of TV channels. There is nothing stopping people from releasing TV shows online (and plenty of those exist). Sometimes they even get turned into real TV shows (like Children's Hospital).

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2012, 04:11:16 PM »
I too like Matchbox Twenty

IM NOT CRAZY IM JUST A LITTLE UNWELL

I KNOW RIGHT NOW YOU CANT TELL

LOL That would have been funny if Clint Eastwood sang those lyrics right after or during his conversation with the empty chair.
is your sanity...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2012, 12:06:08 PM »
Same with my general hatred of Limp Bizkit and Creed.  EVERYONE hates those bands now.

Wait right there! I know that there were some people that managed to trick themselves into liking Creed at one point or another, but I absolutely refuse to believe that anyone has ever done anything but hate Limp Bizkit.

Well SOMEBODY was buying those Limp Bizkit albums.  A quick look at Wikipedia says that two of their albums were number one in America.  I doubt the band members have that many friends and relatives.

You ever go into a restaurant or a store?  Ever watch a sporting event on TV?  You can't escape top 40.  I may change the station when a band I don't like is on the radio but if I'm eating dinner at a restaurant and some crap song comes on I'm stuck hearing it.  The only bad music you can avoid is obscure stuff.  Like I don't like death metal and that sort of stuff is pretty much never played publicly so I never have to hear it.

There's a song, that I can't remember the title of, that LMFAO does (at least I THINK they do) that's very annoying.  It's in some car commercial with hamsters and Halo lookalikes.  I never listen to stations that play that song but I used to see that ad all the damn time.  I would hit mute on my remote ASAP but sometimes someone else has the remote and they're too damn slow or the remote is far from reach and I can't get to it quick enough without hearing part of the song.  Some terrible songs cannot be escaped from.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2012, 01:36:44 PM »
I guess Lana Del Ray.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2012, 04:33:40 PM »
ITS 3AM I MUST BE LONELY
SHE SAYS BABY

THE CLOCK ON THE WALL HAS BEEN STUCK AT 3 FOR DAYS... AND DAYS

I met a girl at a dance who said she liked Matchbox 20. The first song I looked up on youtube was that song^ Man, that is one terrible band.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2012, 05:13:46 PM »
I don't think I've ever met a girl that has had compatible music tastes with me.  They all like country or really terrible pop or bands like Nickelback and Matchbox 20.  I've written it off as a gender differences thing and figure it's not important enough to be a dealbreaker.  But then I'm not married and I am a musician so maybe incompatible music tastes has been a bigger deal than I suspect.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2012, 08:08:10 PM »
I saw the title of this thread, and thought "This is a tendoboy thread".

Lo and behold....

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2012, 06:52:21 AM »
I think it should be the other way around...

.deahoidaR

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2012, 11:20:22 PM »
I got excited when I saw a new (to me) thread about music but I'm pretty disappointed.

Music is one of the few things I'll agree with Ian on and I agree that people will dismiss your opinion on something if it's become cliche. Nickleback hate is a great example, but there are other examples as well. I knew a lot of potheads in high school and they absolutely loooved Sublime and Bob Marley. Some may have been legitimate fans, others were probably doing it because it was cool and I guarantee they've come across the same problem; their opinion is dismissed because it's become cliche.

Anyway, trying to get the thread back on track.. it's hard for me to throw out a band that I like but many other people don't, for a few reasons:

1. My taste in music has grown so eclectic that I like a lot of things that most may not of even heard of, because generally most people just stick to one form of music, the main genres (rock, hip-hop, pop, country, jazz).

2. I don't know as many people in my personal life anymore that are as into music as I am. What I mean is, while everyone is going on and on about popular hit shows like The Walking Dead, I'm so far removed from the conversation because I'd rather be listening to the Day of the Dead soundtrack than the show, so I picture myself on my own little island of music far far away from everyone else.

What I can say, though, is that in high school I had a few friends, all musicians as myself, that seemed to hate on one of my favorite bands at the time; The Ramones.

This one friend loved **** like Led Zeppelin and Pearl Jam.. god he fucking jerked it to Pearl Jam, I swear. Anyway he didn't like most of the punk bands I listened to at the time, but if he heard me listening to the Ramones or saw me wearing their ****, he'd rant on and on about how much trash they were and he just thought they were so beneath him.

Meanwhile the friends I had that listened to modern punk acts like NOFX, The Offspring, etc weren't fond of the Ramones either, and I didn't get it. I know everyone has their opinions but considering they were fans of the genre that the Ramones arguably help build, I thought they'd have at least some respect. NOPE.

But anyway, these days I listen to so much.. I don't listen to the radio at all, but like Ian said - You can't really escape Top 40 stuff. There's a lot of pop stuff out there than I can enjoy though, if I have a party I HAVE to put on some LMFAO for my friends and I dig it. Then there's stuff that I didn't realize was mainstream until later, like that Gotye song "Somebody that I used to know". A friend sent me a cover of that awhile back, I dug it, then one day when I was in a rental car and was stuck with the radio, I heard a guy singing the song and though "wait i know this!"

For the curious, this is what I've been listening to a lot of recently:

The Chromatics
Gym Class Heroes
mc chris (lower case, no dice, REWIND!)
the Drums
Metric
Aesop Rock

but that might change soon :p
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2012, 11:24:07 PM »
Cake is a great band.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2012, 01:46:47 AM »
2. I don't know as many people in my personal life anymore that are as into music as I am. What I mean is, while everyone is going on and on about popular hit shows like The Walking Dead, I'm so far removed from the conversation because I'd rather be listening to the Day of the Dead soundtrack than the show...

This.

It's funny. I just stumbled upon Miriam Makeba, a now deceased prominent African artist, and I played one of her songs for my mom. She was shocked not because it was about 65 years old, but because my father knew her! He invited her to play at Cornell for his international club.

Music is hard too explain. On the one hand it's hard not to be a cynic, on the other hand there are songs that I need to hear again, and on the feet there is music I don't really enjoy but simply moving to it and feeling the energy of those around you is enough to enjoy the experience itself.

I feel like I'm constantly at odds with those three feelings. Let's take an example...

When I'm at the bar and Top 40 is bumping:

If I'm outside on the patio having a conversation, I'll probably mention a snide remark about the music. I'll probably mention how the producer was paid 100+ thousand dollars for this bullshit. I'll probably mention how this music is killing the industry.

If I'm inside dancing to it, I'll love it for what it is because this girls ass is swaying and pushing to the beat. I'll love it because everyone is smiling. I'll love it because people are silent.

At some point, I might hear a beat and be like "Damn, this would be amazing if Rihanna would just shut the **** up." And later I go and find it online as an instrumental and listen to it again.

Those three things happen all the time, to a great or small degree whether I'm at the bar or at a show or even a quite place like a cafe.

Music is amazing and finding a new song is like finding a new recipe that you don't have to cook, but you get to taste it all the same.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 01:50:02 AM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2012, 02:03:02 PM »
You know a movie or TV show is much easier to objectively determine as good or bad.  There is typically a story so if the film's story is incoherrent, the film sucks.  There is some internal logic that has to be followed.  It's easy to dismiss a bad film with "that makes no sense".  Of course there are specifics like the camera angles or pacing being poor where it is entirely up to opinion.

But music is almost ALL like that.  There isn't really the logical flow that a narrative has to have.  There are some things that are objective like being out of tune or playing bum notes or falling out of time with the rest of the band but how often do acts like that get any exposure?  Usually if you don't like a song it's because you don't like the melody or arrangement or voice of the singer or the mixing.  Nobody says that Popular Band X sucks because the guitar player constantly hits the wrong note and the bass player can't keep time with the rest of the band.

So people are more passionate about their musical tastes because there is so much left entirely to opinion.