Author Topic: The 30 Best DS Games  (Read 39814 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: The Best 30 DS Games
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2011, 02:18:09 AM »
New Super Mario Bros is meh for me. I don't disagree with anything said in the write-up, but it doesn't have the creativity or challenge of every other Mario game. (Even Sunshine had the cave levels.) The level design is pretty by the book and I didn't find the power-ups very fun or well implemented, possible exception being the mini-mushroom. I also think NSMB Wii is an improvement over its DS predecessor in every way.

If it wasn't for Mario's legacy being what it is, I'd probably like this game a lot more.

I agree completely. I prefer the Wii version over the DS version. The DS game just felt pretty "meh" for me and it definitely got overhyped at launch.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2011, 09:40:12 AM »
New Super Mario Bros is meh for me. I don't disagree with anything said in the write-up, but it doesn't have the creativity or challenge of every other Mario game. (Even Sunshine had the cave levels.) The level design is pretty by the book and I didn't find the power-ups very fun or well implemented, possible exception being the mini-mushroom. I also think NSMB Wii is an improvement over its DS predecessor in every way.

If it wasn't for Mario's legacy being what it is, I'd probably like this game a lot more.

I agree completely. I prefer the Wii version over the DS version. The DS game just felt pretty "meh" for me and it definitely got overhyped at launch.

I hate NSMB with a passion because of the comparisons to SMB3 and SMBW.  I got it expecting this great game and what I got was on the level of a freeware version of Mario with my most hated Mario character, Bowser Jr., instead of the superior Koopa Kids.  Now the one on Wii I do enjoy and it is much better.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 09:47:52 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NintendoFanboy

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2011, 09:45:33 AM »
If GTA China town wars is not on the list, this list is incomplete and thus VOID
 to to lack of proper content  We shall see, 6 chances left.
 i feel it was ommited though.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2011, 03:14:57 PM »
I played through New Super Mario Bros. DS recently, getting all three star coins on every level, and I had a really good time. It's a very safe design that doesn't really take any risks or do much that's original, and it's certainly not on the level of Mario 3, but it's definitely worth playing. Also, before UncleBob points it out, the Mario vs. Luigi multiplayer mode is amazing.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2011, 03:17:58 PM »

I also agree. It's not a bad game, but it wasn't in my top 10, and I'd nominate it for most overrated.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »
I expected New Super Mario Brothers to show up eventually. It was an okay game but I share the opinion that it wasn't very good by Mario game standards and felt very uninspired. Fortunately the Wii sequel is much better, even though it has a few issues. I did like the Mega Mushroom and turtle suit though, and kind of missed them in NSMBWii.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2011, 05:41:15 PM »
I just wish Nintendo would finish more of their experiments when it comes to SMB. For example, in the E3 version, Goombas could pick up Mega Mushrooms in-level. And there was four-player adventuring in SM64DS back when it was called SM64x4.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2011, 05:49:55 PM »
I expected New Super Mario Brothers to show up eventually. It was an okay game but I share the opinion that it wasn't very good by Mario game standards and felt very uninspired. Fortunately the Wii sequel is much better, even though it has a few issues. I did like the Mega Mushroom and turtle suit though, and kind of missed them in NSMBWii.

See, I thought the Mega Mushroom was pretty stupid, and I really hated the koopa suit (I tend to play 2D Mario games with the B button held down, which you can't do with that suit).

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2011, 05:58:46 PM »
They just weren't implemented very well into the game. Although I suppose the Mega Mushroom has limited use since you're completely invincible and can just run and plow through everything, so it was mostly for the visual of crushing everything in your way. But it's a lot of fun in Mario Kart Wii so I have to give some credit to its origin.

I just wish Nintendo would finish more of their experiments when it comes to SMB. For example, in the E3 version, Goombas could pick up Mega Mushrooms in-level. And there was four-player adventuring in SM64DS back when it was called SM64x4.
That's how I feel about Super Mario Brothers 3, there are a lot of ideas in that game which didn't appear much that had the potential for more, such as the Hammer Brother suit and the Kuribo's Shoe. One thing that sticks out in my mind is this floating block at the end of one level which bobs when you jump on it, I thought it was a neat idea but it was never seen outside of a throwaway at the end of a stage.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2011, 09:15:07 PM »
In a way, I kind of see why the game got so much hype. This was the first 2D Mario game in YEARS. Sure there were the advance games, but they were ports of older games. This was completely brand new, so it's no wonder people got excited.

Still, I think the excitement got WAY out of hand. Yes, it's solid, polished and fun (especially in multiplayer), but the level design is too basic, the challenge is middling and it's forgettable, IMO.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2011, 09:30:43 PM »
I think it's really good, but the more I think about it, it really shouldn't be in the top ten on a system with as much depth as the DS has.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2011, 10:42:49 PM »
I think it's really good, but the more I think about it, it really shouldn't be in the top ten on a system with as much depth as the DS has.

I won't out staffers who voted for it, but I know I didn't put it in mine. I enjoyed the game, but it certainly wasn't one of the best games I played on the system. I enjoyed SM64DS more.

Also, Chinatown Wars fans should prepare to be disappointed. I think that might be the biggest snub on the list. If I recall, not a soul on staff included it in their top 10. I know, for me, it would've been something like #12. I feel that might be the case with a lot of folks on staff.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2011, 11:55:57 PM »
Dawn of Sorrow? Pftt, Order of Ecclesia is better.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2011, 12:36:24 AM »
And Portrait of Ruin is underrated. Seriously, that game was insanely fun!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2011, 02:26:52 AM »
Chinatown Wars would have been my #11 or #12. However, I do think Dawn of Sorrow is the best Castlevania on the system.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2011, 02:48:34 AM »
Order of Ecclesia has the best music.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2011, 07:23:09 AM »

I didn't like the level design as much.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2011, 07:24:19 AM »
agh i want to play Radiant historia but I've already got Pokemon black to finish and spirit tracks still in shrink wrap, but I'm worried by the time in done with them it wont be available anymore -_-

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2011, 07:30:38 AM »

I won't out staffers who voted for it, but I know I didn't put it in mine. I enjoyed the game, but it certainly wasn't one of the best games I played on the system. I enjoyed SM64DS more.

Also, Chinatown Wars fans should prepare to be disappointed. I think that might be the biggest snub on the list. If I recall, not a soul on staff included it in their top 10. I know, for me, it would've been something like #12. I feel that might be the case with a lot of folks on staff.

I somehow lost my copy of SMB64DS between launch and about 2 years ago but, I have to agree I enjoyed it much more than NSMB.  I really didn't like the version on the N64 much, Sunshine fixed most the problems I had with it, but how they changed it on the DS really helped the game in a positive way and I got most of the way through fully clearing before moving one.  Plus sits the only game I now that uses that Lanyard Nub.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2011, 03:48:52 PM »
You can use the lanyard on any touch-enabled DS game. The system doesn't know whether you're using, a finger, stylus, or anything else. The lanyard works best in games that involve more sliding than tapping, which includes Metroid Prime Hunters, Rayman 2, Geometry Wars Galaxies, etc.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2011, 06:03:21 PM »
In a way, I kind of see why the game got so much hype. This was the first 2D Mario game in YEARS. Sure there were the advance games, but they were ports of older games. This was completely brand new, so it's no wonder people got excited.
Oh yeah, I'm not questioning why it was so huge, I understand that part. I just don't think the game lives up to Mario's legacy.

I have a feeling that Super Mario 64 DS is about to show up in one of the top 5 spots. It's a decent remake, but I don't think it deserves to be placed ahead of so many original games that are on the system.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2011, 07:43:03 PM »

I didn't like the level design as much.

Portrait of Ruin was the series' first big step toward "Harmony of Assets" or whatever that XBLA game is called. They pallete swap entire LEVELS in Portrait.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2011, 03:03:00 AM »
Well, Portrait of Ruin was the first Castlevania/Metroidvania DS game I played so I may be biased. But I really loved the gameplay. It was hard, but I was addicted to it till I finished it :D .

As for today's game, HELL YEAH PHOENIX WRIGHT! I realize that while the third game had a stronger story, the first game just feels iconic to me. The first plot twist that happens RIGHT AT THE BEGINNING of the game, the characters, the concept, all felt unique and fresh. I'm not one to say that the first game in any series "is the best one", but I beg to differ with Phoenix Wright.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2011, 06:47:58 AM »
Besides, it's just plain fun to yell, "OBJECTION!"
Objection is my favourite word :D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 06:51:13 AM by Lithium »

Offline NintendoFanboy

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2011, 09:24:40 AM »
And this is why Rockstar snubs the Nintendo systems. Reviewers said this is a good game.
 no one buys it, then when the best of list go up, it doesnt get a mention.
sad, truly sad.  The only way i see a rockstar game on a Nintendo system here
 on out, is if nintendo gives rockstar dev kits free and pays for developement.
 nintendo doesnt fund third part franchises, so at best look for
 a shotty port on  the N Stream and that also will not sell.
Cant say as i agree with your list but its fun to look at. For a LAUGH!