Author Topic: OFFICIAL Metal Gear Discussion  (Read 175662 times)

Offline hari

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
OFFICIAL Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes Discussion
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2003, 10:36:47 AM »
Even though I loved Eternal Darkness, SK needs to get their FMVs together. The ones in ED were rough. I would rather have to put a separate disk in the cube just for the FMVs than sit through some long ones that look that bad.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2003, 11:36:20 AM »
All I have to say is Hideo Kojima, Shigeru Miyamoto, AND Silicon Knights working on this thing? If I hadn't read this in Konami's press release, I wouldn't have believed it.

Jesus Christ.....
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Bink

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2003, 11:59:41 AM »
Wha?.......Bu.....you mea....my....meta.....gea.....soli...? SILICON KNIGHTS?! who cares i don't want SILICON FREAKING KNIGHTS! I want hideo kojima! God....hates...me
The Legend of Zelda is the greatest game series of all time.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2003, 12:03:28 PM »
Bink: Kojima's supervising the whole thing- he won't let the thing stray from the MG style. Besides, Denis Dyack's a huge Metal Gear fan- he knows how to handle this.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2003, 12:25:13 PM »
People saying they wish Silicon Knights was working on Too Human instead of a Metal Gear remake reminds me of something I heard about Robert Zemeckis (the guy who made Back to the Future) once.

Zemeckis wrote his first movie. He thought it was great. His friends thought it was great. He brought it to Steven Speilberg. Speilberg thought it was great. Speilberg helped him make his movie a reality. Even though it apparently won a lot of critical acclaim when it came out, it bombed at the box office. Speilberg lost money on it.

So, Zemeckis wrote his second movie. He thought it was even better than the first one. Speilberg thought it was even better than the first one. Speilburg backed him on it again. It bombed like the first one.

Then Zemeckis started writing his third movie (Romancing the Stone). Speilburg loved it, but Zemeckis refused Speilburg's help with it. Speilburg didn't care that the first two movies didn't make much money, he just liked these movies Zemeckis was making, and was willing to back them 100% just to see them get made. But Zemeckis thought that it would hurt Speilburg's image to keep backing someone who couldn't deliver results. Speilburg could afford to make these movies with his pocket change, and they were good movies, so they weren't "failures", but if people thought Speilburg was making failures, that perception would cost him to a point where he really would feel it.

So Zemeckis made Romancing the Stone on his own, and it actually was a box office success.

With one success under his belt, he felt it was safe to accept Speilburg's help again, and let him help with Back to the Future, which turned out to be one of the biggest movies of all time.

Now, I know this story would relate better if SK decided to self-publish Too Human, instead of delay it (if it even exists anymore) to work on a Metal Gear remake, but I think the basics are still there.  
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2003, 12:30:20 PM »
I agree I'd rather see Too Human being worked on rather than MGS, but I think the remake is a worthy cause. PLUS, it has to really be improving Konami and Nintendo's relationship. It's not often a company, especially one as big as Konami, will hand off their biggest franchise to the console manufacturer, again, especially a second party. This is big stuff.

Offline Link

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2003, 12:41:10 PM »
Too bad it's not a brand new MG game. I believe I'll have to pass on this one.

Offline IoriYagami n8

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2003, 01:02:47 PM »
I'm sure the title will be handled well. Voice acting and everything. Metal Gear Solid and Eternal Darkness had some of the best I've seen in a game. In fact, I think the same man did both Pious and The Colonel in both games. From the name though, it makes me wonder if they will have a few alternative missions for Liquid. I didn't think MGS2 was that great, I felt really let down the the story direction and endless codec converstations. As long as I get a good amount of gameplay I'll be happy.

One thing that makes me wonder though is how they will handle the part with Mantis. Since he would read Konami save files on your PSX, I wonder what he will do this time around. Konami hasn't exactly given the Gamecube much, and I don't want to hear him talking about Disney Football. Perhaps he will make some mention of sanity, not to out right say Eternal Darkness, but make some obscure reference the fans will pick up. I know the game will be true to the original. And I'm eager to see more on it. But I was also eager to see more on Too Human as well. As long as SK can confirm that they are still keeping Too Human going, I'll be good though. I just want to know the game wasn't canned.

Now that all next generation systems will have a Metal Gear Solid game, I certainly think the Gamecube will be getting the best of them. Nintendo has worked really well with developers, they have done a lot to get developers to have faith in them again and given Nintendo's current game line up on the market, I doubt you will have any trouble with censorship. Of course, Metal Gear Solid was never heavy on the blood either. Which was really fitting for the game and theme.

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2003, 01:12:51 PM »
the more i see on this the more i start to speculate
first off- this wont be a "port"- it will be more akin to the remake of RE
they will probably up the graphics dramatically, the sound, and of course some areas of the game- just as capcom did before
seeing miyamoto and kojima working on it is heaven for me but factor in silicon knights and denis dyack- its a videogame dream team
now the reason i can see silicon knights working on this may be for future stuff in their own games
too human was said to be an "rpg" of sorts, but it also was said you can play your own way through the game
if you want to go guns blazing you could, but if you want to be stealthy you could too
this metal gear game may show just how too human could play if you played through by stealth- of course this is all speculation
i played the hell out of psx resident evil, but still got the gc version and it felt different
i also have played the hell out of psx mgs but i still will get this for nintendo- it will feel like a different game
i call the big one bitey.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2003, 01:21:04 PM »
what better way to figure out how to make a  metal gear killer then to work on a metal gear game......laso..when too human comes out you can see on the commercial "from the makers of metal gear solid: Twin snakes....."
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Big_Pimp

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2003, 02:48:44 PM »
Hey wasssssup!!  Im new to the forums, anyways, let me get to my question: Do any of you think MGS: TTS will turn things aroung for Nintendo?

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2003, 03:27:37 PM »
Turn around?  You mean... start to lose money and be unsuccessful?

Offline Tael

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2003, 03:28:34 PM »

Originally posted by: Strell
SK has made one game, and it took them over 3 years.
Silicon Knights have made 5 games: Eternal Darkness, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, Dark Legions, Fantasy Empires, and Steel Empire/Cyber Empires. Eternal Darkness took so long because they ported it to an entirely different hardware platform, which would've taken a fair bit of time. 3 years isn't that long for a game, considering the average development time is 18 months to 2 years.

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2003, 03:29:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Big_Pimp
Hey wasssssup!!  Im new to the forums, anyways, let me get to my question: Do any of you think MGS: TTS will turn things aroung for Nintendo?

well i just dont know- it will depend on how this game sells
it could help nintendo by having konami develope for them more often and better games
it could help sales for the gc since metal gear is widely popular
but i guess it all depends- i would hope it helps sell more gc's
i think konami is going to see how this game sells and determine if metal gear solid 3 will be on the gc as well as the ps2
now i dont know if thats true since metal gear solid 3 hasnt been "officially" announced but it would seem logical
hopefully this helps the gc get more companies to co-develope games with nintendo- i would love to see that  
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Big_Pimp

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2003, 03:37:18 PM »

Originally posted by: EggyToast
Turn around?  You mean... start to lose money and be unsuccessful?

I didnt mean that, I meant that they could start attracting more and more 3rd Party support, you know as well as I do that its not as good as Sony's or even Microsoft, I mean look at all the titles being canceled (NBA Jam 2004 I wanted that game for my GC...guess im gonna have to get the PS2 version...).

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2003, 03:55:34 PM »
It doesn't reveal any new info, but Nintendo added Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes to their E3 page. It is good Nintendo is updating their E3 page, but hopefully they will start adding media like movies or screen shots.  

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2003, 04:15:08 PM »
I'm guessing this is going to be SK big game at  then.  When I first read it was SK developing it, I was surprised to say the least, but then I realized that it was a good decision (as long as they don't change the gameplay too much).  I can't wait for this game.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Big_Pimp

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2003, 04:28:38 PM »
I was hoping that Eternal Darkness 2 was SK's secret project, but its actually Twin Snakes.  I hope theyre working on it to.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2003, 04:43:39 PM »
Didnt a website say the MGS game would be a remake? anyways its still shocking to see SK work with Konami... thats pretty frigging cool Cant wait to see it.... still rather have Too Human

Offline Armed

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2003, 05:39:25 PM »
Yeah, i was also hoping for something else.
If you like to read comics click below
**My cousin made it, pretty cool**
"Bilaran Wars"-Click Me

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2003, 05:48:43 PM »
hmmm this e3.... metal gear solid and final fantasy...maybe resident evil 4...whos booth is gonna generate the press?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline beigean

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2003, 08:33:01 PM »
for those thinking SK has cancelled Too Human, don't stress out:

edit:  ok crap, i forgot i can't violate copyright.  well, IGN had an interview with Denis in which he said the status of Too Human is good, he wants to talk about it more than anything else, but the time isn't right yet.

for you Insiders.. IGNcube Interviews Silicon Knights

And knowing is half the battle.
I find security in obscurity.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2003, 02:18:40 AM »
I hope its much more than just a port with MGS2 style graphics. But it has to be special, much overworked and innovative otherwise SK wouldnt be working on it. SK is too talented to take up lousy port projects, so it ought to be something AWEEEESOME.
LZ 2005

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2003, 06:26:41 AM »
I have a theroy,
zelda: 4 swords = 4 player co-op
mgs: twin snakes = 2 player co-op
maybe the whole "twin" is hinting at a co-op, hopefully it would be a new mission added, and not a VR mission...thu the final VR mission with the time limit was hard

Offline Tael

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2003, 06:57:47 AM »

Originally posted by: ThePerm
hmmm this e3.... metal gear solid and final fantasy...maybe resident evil 4...whos booth is gonna generate the press?
Resident Evil 4 is on Capcom's E3 list.