Author Topic: Wii Successor and Glassess Free 3D: How Will It Work?  (Read 132582 times)

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Wii Successor and Glassess Free 3D: How Will It Work?
« Reply #575 on: December 14, 2010, 10:30:54 PM »
The stresses an aluminum can is subjected to are entirely different than what a console must be capable of withstanding.  An aluminum can is essentially a small pressure vessel, whose geometry allows the internal pressure to be evenly distributed in the circumferential and longitudinal directions.  This allows the can to be made of very little material, in spite of its relative softness/low strength.  Notice how an empty can can be bent in half, or an unopened can can be popped open (the hole in the top) with very little applied load?  These are things that you would not want in your case, and would require a lot more material to prevent.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: December 14, 2010, 11:07:12 PM »
ish, aluminum cans are made extremely thin. Increase the thickness just a little bit and the properties are different. Oxidize the aluminum and it becomes super strong.

this is made out of about a pound of aluminum. I made it in a sculpting class. It is really really hard, and wont bend like a can. 1 pound of aluminum costs about a dollar or at least did in 2006, id imagine they could use less than that and still have the strength(and then some) of plastic. I'v just seen some electronics as of lately that have had a nice aluminum outside. Also note that even on a soda can the top is really hard, as well as the pop tab or whatever its called
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: December 15, 2010, 12:26:15 AM »
ish, aluminum cans are made extremely thin. Increase the thickness just a little bit and the properties are different. Oxidize the aluminum and it becomes super strong.

this is made out of about a pound of aluminum. I made it in a sculpting class. It is really really hard, and wont bend like a can. 1 pound of aluminum costs about a dollar or at least did in 2006, id imagine they could use less than that and still have the strength(and then some) of plastic. I'v just seen some electronics as of lately that have had a nice aluminum outside. Also note that even on a soda can the top is really hard, as well as the pop tab or whatever its called
My point isn't that you couldn't make a case out of aluminum.  Pound for pound it's stronger than plastic, no question.  Increase the thickness, and the properties do not change but the surface area increases, meaning the stress due to a unit load decreases.  So make it thicker, and it can withstand larger forces.   But the cost of bulk material, and manufacturing costs are way higher than for plastic.

As for alumina (i.e. oxidized aluminum), yeah it's stronger, but it's also super brittle making it undesirable in many situations.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: December 15, 2010, 12:40:40 AM »
What material is the Iphones and Ipads made out of?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: December 15, 2010, 12:55:55 AM »
What material is the Iphones and Ipads made out of?

Aluminum and Glass
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 17, 2011, 08:48:28 PM »
Thoughts about the Wii 2 have been bugging me for a while, especially since the 3DS is so close to being on the market. Therefore I have compiled a list of things that the Wii 2 must have once it is revealed.

Storage

The Wii 2 must have four to eight GB of internal flash memory. Flash memory has cheapened enough that including no less that four Gigabytes of internal memory seems reasonable for Nintendo to include. 

Internal HDD support (2.5 SATA). Nintendo will not provide a hard drive for the Wii 2 themselves, but they will leave it up to the consumer to buy their own hard drive from a third party (Maxtor, Toshiba, Seagate, Western Digital, etc.).

The Wii 2 must also have external storage support (USB flash and HDD) though its USB ports. Consumers will be able to utilize the USB ports of the Wii 2 to use external storage devices for back up.

SD card slot retained from the first Wii.

Graphics

Nintendo’s game design philosophy is that graphics are secondary to game play. However, Nintendo knows that SD graphics are becoming extinct, so they will move onto High Definition gaming for the Wii 2 with a resolution support up to 1080p. It would be easier for Nintendo to make the jump from Wii to 360 then from the Wii to PS3. Although Nintendo will utilize cheaper components to make the leap in graphics similar to the way the 3DS is a cheaper take on the PSP’s technology..

Right now the cost of 3D televisions is too cost prohibitive for Nintendo to include 3D in their next console, but it might be cheap to include it in the Wii 2 and if the price of 3D TVs fall in the next five years then Nintendo could just open 3D up via firmware and have a 3D home console like the 3DS.

Controls

Advanced 1:1 motion controls. Take the concept of the motion plus and advance it further. This controller system would be Nintendo taking on Sony’s Move controller with better technology..
Wireless Classic Controller Pro with rumble. Taking a queue from Sony and Microsoft’s controllers, Nintendo releases an update of the Classic controller pro that is wireless with rumble capabilities.

Wireless motion controllers similar to the Move controller, but with an IR sensor. The Wii 2 nunchuck would feature rumble as well.

Form Factor
Form factor similar to the Xbox 360. If the Wii 2 is going to have HD graphics, Nintendo will have to make the system bigger than the current Wii system. The form factor of the Wii 2 would be similar in size and scale to the 360 slim, but instead of a disc tray, the Wii 2 would have a disc slot like the Wii console.

Touch sensitive buttons. The 360 slim has touch sensitive buttons, and Nintendo loves touch sensitization, so instead pressing the power, reset or eject buttons on the front of the Wii 2, all you have to do is run your finger across the button to activate its function.

The form factor of the Wii 2 would include three USB ports for accessories and external storage devices and built-in HDMI and Ethernet port to supplement bandwidth for online games.

Optical Format
Nintendo has invested millions into holographic storage for a number of years now, but what ever disc media that is simultaneously cheap to manufacture and hard to pirate, Nintendo will adopt it in a hot minute. This leads to three possible formats for the Wii 2 to use: First, the Wii 2 could be Nintendo’s first system where the holographic disc storage is implemented. Second, Nintendo could adopt the HD-DVD format. Although HD-DVD is an extinct format, Nintendo could easily gain the technology for a reasonable price and since the technology did not take off very well, Nintendo could take advantage of the lack of HD-DVD burners to thwart piracy. Third, Nintendo could return to cartridges. This would cut down on piracy and load times for the console and since the technology is now cheaper than before, mass producing the games would be cheaper and safer. Also, returning to cartridges would allow the system to be built smaller and operate quieter.

All Nintendo fans detest the friend code system, so instead of individual codes for each game, Nintendo gives each system its own code, or Universal friend codes, and any multiplayer game played on that system uses that same code to link up to other players. Problem solved, right?

Online structure to better accommodate DLC, MMO and multiplayer (see Universal friend codes). There is a robust online system for both the PS3 and 360, and this is something that the Wii is lacking. The Wii 2 will have to turn this around. The Wii 2 should be home to a number of good MMO and at the same time allow third parties to deliver down loadable content to consumers.

Wireless head set support for multiplayer games. The PS3 and 360 both have head set support, and arguably the Wii has Wii speak, but the head set system for the Wii 2 must support all multiplayer games with little to static.

Multimedia

Netflix and Hulu subscriptions in HD. The Netflx account of the Wii 2 would also allow movies to be purchased and stored onto the Wii 2 as channels like games.
Wii Shop Channel: Virtual Console and Wiiware
Dreamcast, Saturn and possibly Gamecube virtual console. 

If the Gamecube is not on virtual console, then Gamecube controller and memory card ports should be retained for backwards compatibility.

Transfer of virtual console and wiiware via Club Nintendo account. All a gamer would have to do is remove their account from the Wii and then reactivate it onto the Wii 2 to make the games transition over to the new console.

Wii shop channel upgrade to include faster download speeds and a shopping cart and wish list features. This system would be similar to one such as Amazon where a purchaser can read reviews about a certain game and even watch demo videos to determine whether the game is worth buying. Also, games from the Wii shop channel should be allowed to be down loaded in bulk to lower back tracking.

Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 18, 2011, 04:38:32 AM »
wow great use of bold
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #582 on: January 18, 2011, 10:50:42 PM »
Kytime:  I think the use of MUST is pretty bold.  I like to look at likely.

What will we likely see...and what will we not see...and remember to look at it from how Nintendo does things.

I know we will see a boost in internal storage.  I think this might be the area Nintendo surprises us the most.  I don't see Nintendo supporting a hard drive, but internal flash will again be used.  I predict 8 Gigs, but I could see Nintendo surprising us with 16 Gigs.  What I do not expect is ANY hard drive support.  Nintendo has been pretty opposed to the idea and I don't think Nintendo will change.  SD card support continued yes...and I can even see Nintendo packing in an SD card with the Wii 2.0 with a nice default setting to put all game saves on the SD card.  I like this means of having disk game saves on an SD for traveling. 

Now, I expect Nintendo to embrace HD gaming next generation.  There is no reason not to.  So the Wii 2.0 will have the advanced motion controls of the Wii remote plus, but come with a sensor bar that will work better at detecting everything.  (This is my theory at least)  Something that allows the Wii market to more easily merge to the new system without losing all its investment in hardware.  Controllers, Wii Fit, Classic Controllers and such will all work.  Nintendo might lose some money on hardware sales, but will gain much respect in the market and the casual gamers will more likely move more easily to the new system.

I expect a good sized leap for Nintendo, but not compared to Microsoft or Sony.  I expect something like an Xbox 360.5 in graphics and such...maybe 1GiG Ram.

Online, will be one system friend codes, potentially have built in voice chat and such for all games.  But, I don't expect anything that is not already being done on the other systems better.  As for multimedia.  I don't care.  Hopefully, Nintendo will keep make a Wii Apps store, that will allow developers like Netflix and such to make the software available for their services, but not bulk up the system with pre-installed apps people may never use. 

I think the Club Nintendo Account will need to be re-imagined rebranded, and yes used for linking accounts for transfers and such, and I expect Nintendo to do this properly.