Author Topic: Wii Successor and Glassess Free 3D: How Will It Work?  (Read 132579 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Wii Successor and Glassess Free 3D: How Will It Work?
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2010, 06:26:45 PM »
I've never hoped more that Deguello is right. Using some sort of "cartridge" or "card" for Nintendo's next system would be wonderful. Though, wouldn't this still cost more to manufacture than whatever type of disc that Sony and Microsoft's next machine will likely use? It may not be very much more, but more is more. And so I could see third-parties complaining about the higher cost of it.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2010, 06:53:09 PM »
It could, however, be used as a way to counter piracy.  It's certainly something for third parties to consider before they complain about costs.

Also, how big would this supposed card be (physically)?  Are we talking SD, thumbdrive, cartridge, etc..?  Would the box be roughly the size of a DS box?  This isn't the most interesting aspect, but it's something I wonder about.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2010, 06:59:16 PM »
I think the DS proves that having proprietary media doesn't mean anything when it comes to fighting piracy.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2010, 07:00:46 PM »
we'll see how that changes if they end up using holograms as an anti-piracy measure

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2010, 10:34:09 PM »
What nintendo needs to do is lease out their engines or team up with someone like Epic, Steam, ID, ect.  There's a few cheap middleware engines out there for the WII but they all seem pretty damn weak and flawed. 

Sony has PhyreEngine, MS has all the XNA among other stuff, but what does Nintendo offer?  Sure there's some third party middleware stuff that's fairly priced but just imagine what games you could have played if Retro licensed out the MP3 engine. 

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2010, 10:44:11 PM »
Though, wouldn't this still cost more to manufacture than whatever type of disc that Sony and Microsoft's next machine will likely use? It may not be very much more, but more is more.

I'm banking on it reducing in price so much that it's negligible, and that 8-16 GB is somewhat of a plateau for what games really need as far as capacity, with a special 32GB Square Enix Option (the 32 GB one will be more expensive, and thus should only be used for the most epic of epics. But even so would dramatically drop in price by the end of next year.)  I mean of course, they could come out with a new disc that holds 200 GB but what would be the point?

While higher capacity is neat on paper, you don't actually "feel" the higher capacity when you play a game, do you?  It's just sort of a fact you see on the back of the box or on a Press release.  But what you DO feel is the loading times.  If Nintendo is able to get a 16GB cart that's affordable by the end of next year, they'll have a distinct advantage, IMO, because your average consumer will notice the reduced loadtimes a lot more than they'll notice capacity.  This isn't the N64 days where the disc medium has almost ten times the capacity.

Think of it like the DS vs. the PSP   When the DS started out, the starting size of the Cards was something like 8-64 MB, later expanding as high as 512 MB, though not many games used it.  This was vs. 1.9 GB that the PSP offered day one.  The reason that PSP media lost was due to a critical misunderstanding of the types of games required for handheld devices.  Loading times are a no-no, as well as the power consumed by it being reliant on an electric motor.

However, it is my opinion that these are not just problems on a handheld, but game problems in general.  If Nintendo were to offer a solution that presented HD games at 60 fps (due to falling GPU compnent prices) with a starting capacity of 8 or 16 GB and have them load instantaneously, it would definitely make a larger impact on consumers than more numbers on a spreadsheet.

And so I could see third-parties complaining about the higher cost of it.

Two things, one good and one bad.

Good: I am of the opinion that third parties will accept a cart standard, seeing as they have no problem with the DS's or 3DS.  That could be because of Nintendo's dominance and the "When in Rome" mentality, butit's not liek they are pining for loadtimes and discs on the handheld front.

Bad:  It is entirely possible that Nintendo could make a console that suits every need and has no flaw, and certain third parties would still complain (suspiciously very publicly and loudly)about whatever it is that they will complain about next gen, be it "carts," "kiddy," "casual," Nintendo-fanboys-only-buy-Nintendo-games, they're Japanese, etc.  so it wouldn't really be in their best interest to kowtow to certain third parties who probably won't develop for them, ever, under any circumstance.  Better to bring something that would please current and potential customers and revolutionize game functionality and hope a high userbase will work this time around.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 10:50:40 PM by Deguello »
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2010, 01:00:09 PM »
Will the wi 2 incorporate multimedia functions? Meaning will it become a DVD and audio player? It is a sure fire bet that a Netflix channel will be available for download on the wii 2 channel. I imagine you could buy movies and TV shows and save them on the wii 2 internal memory like the VC and wiiware titles. Although a music player is still up in the air.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2010, 01:04:47 PM »
I hope Nintendo does incorporate Netflix somehow (not sure if Wii 2 will keep the channel system). The problem with DVD is that Nintendo hates paying licensing fees, that is the same reason Wii and DSi/DSi XL play AAC files rather than MP3 (as MP3 also requires licensing).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2010, 02:05:37 PM »
I hope Nintendo does incorporate Netflix somehow (not sure if Wii 2 will keep the channel system). The problem with DVD is that Nintendo hates paying licensing fees, that is the same reason Wii and DSi/DSi XL play AAC files rather than MP3 (as MP3 also requires licensing).

The wii 2 will retain the channel system because it will be an evolutionary step for the wii brand. The channel system will be retained, but it will be tweaked and upgraded for better functionality. What ever audio player the wii 2 would have would be similar to that of the DSi and possibly the 3DS.

The 360 deal that states that disc free Netflix is exclusive to that system expires some time next year. That is 2011 and I am betting that the wii 2 will reach North America by some time in 2012. Nintendo would be smart to prepackage the Netflix channel onto the wii or atleast have Netflix disc inside the box when the consumer buys the system.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2010, 02:11:10 PM »
The 360 deal that states that disc free Netflix is exclusive to that system expires some time next year.

Netflix themselves confirmed that the PS3 will be getting disc-free service before October of this year.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2010, 02:21:06 PM »
The 360 deal that states that disc free Netflix is exclusive to that system expires some time next year.

Netflix themselves confirmed that the PS3 will be getting disc-free service before October of this year.

The 3DS and wii 2 are possibly next for the service.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2010, 04:57:28 PM »
The problem with DVD is that Nintendo hates paying licensing fees, that is the same reason Wii and DSi/DSi XL play AAC files rather than MP3 (as MP3 also requires licensing).
Do you mean why it can no longer play MP3s? Because both Endless Ocean and Excite Truck can play MP3s.

My Wii can play DVDs. HA HA HA!

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2010, 05:55:17 PM »
I would not mind seeing a GTA launch title for the wii 2 with the PS360 style presentation.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2010, 06:28:15 PM »
The problem with DVD is that Nintendo hates paying licensing fees, that is the same reason Wii and DSi/DSi XL play AAC files rather than MP3 (as MP3 also requires licensing).
Do you mean why it can no longer play MP3s? Because both Endless Ocean and Excite Truck can play MP3s.

My Wii can play DVDs. HA HA HA!

Yeah, I meant the system itself. If the Wii could do it, Nintendo would have to pay a fee for every Wii system. If it is just certain games, they only have to pay a fee for each copy of the game sold.

As for your other hidden point, I won't get into that issue.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2010, 07:52:21 PM »
The wii 2 will retain the channel system because it will be an evolutionary step for the wii brand. The channel system will be retained, but it will be tweaked and upgraded for better functionality. What ever audio player the wii 2 would have would be similar to that of the DSi and possibly the 3DS.
Oh, god.. I hope it doesn't retain the channel system.  That firmware setup is already incredibly archaic as it is.  We need something smoother, something more refined, something with a bit more appeal.

Yes, I want a XMB-style Menu/Navigation system for Nintendo's next system ala the PS3's.  I don't care to admit it.  It's wonderful, and it works incredibly well. There. :P: : :
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 07:54:38 PM by Rachtman »
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2010, 08:04:26 PM »
You actually LIKE the Cross Media Bar? It is so clunky and terrible. The Wii's channel system is much more elegant and easier to get to what you want to do.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
I like the XMB, it's certainly better than either of the systems Microsoft has used on the 360, but I  prefer the Wii channel system. They need a huge change under the hood, but the user experience should remain largely the same, with a few tweaks (such as a folder system of some kind).
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2010, 10:06:59 PM »
I like the channel menu. Just because it is simple and easy to use doesn't mean it is archaic; in fact, I'd argue that a complex system that's a pain to figure out is archaic.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2010, 11:24:30 PM »
Maybe if it was done in the style of folders, as insanolord mentioned...that might streamline the experience a bit.  I just don't like how there is a channel for EVERYTHING.  Folders would definitely be nice.

I just don't feel like Nintendo is going to take that much of a casual-heavy approach next time around with their interface.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2010, 12:00:56 AM »
The XMB is probably my favorite "home menu" simply because of how it's laid out and how easy it is to quickly access the features you need, but its one big fault is that you really have to take the time to explore the sub-menus and figure out where certain things are.  Once you figure out the system, you see how everything is quite logically organized.  The Xbox 360's latest system menu is a mess of ads and similar-looking menus.  Then you have the Xbox Guide, which is another layer of confusing menus and sub-menus.  Even after using it for 2 months, I have trouble finding things.  The Wii is the simplest and most intuitive of the menus, but it's also the slowest.  The loading between the system settings and channels menus particularly annoys me.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2010, 01:03:21 AM »
What is needed for the next Wii is definitely something different in the background and a major tweaking to the Channel System.

Instead of 100 channels to "surf" through, there should be sub channels, like a VC Channel that leads to N64 - SNES -Genesis-etc etc sub channels. Also a Favorites Channel under the VC/WiiWare Channel and a Most/Recently Played Sub Channel. A way to basically organize everything with out having to scroll to the left or right endlessly.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2010, 01:07:59 AM »
The biggest question about the wii successor is whether or not the wii is finished inregards to third parties? It does seem as if third party games are slowly declining and this is usually a sign of a console's life cycle end.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2010, 01:13:54 AM »
I just don't feel like Nintendo is going to take that much of a casual-heavy approach next time around with their interface.
Why not? The "hardcore" crowd isn't going to care if the interface is simple and easy to understand (except the ones who complain about everything, but they're not worth attempting to please), because it has no effect on games. Of all things it would be best to keep simple, that's at the top of the list. I imagine it'll look about the same as it does now, with a few changes to make it faster and more organized. This includes lumping VC games into system channels such as NES, SNES, etc., and I could even see the system settings becoming channels. Nintendo's got a fine menu in place and I only see them building upon it.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2010, 10:16:13 AM »
The biggest question about the wii successor is whether or not the wii is finished inregards to third parties? It does seem as if third party games are slowly declining and this is usually a sign of a console's life cycle end.

The Wii will still get the yearly sports releases and movie-based tie-ins (+ Ubisoft shovelware) for a while, but I do think this is the Wii's last year as a viable gaming platform for new 3rd party titles.  If they haven't announced a big Wii project by now, they're not going to.  I expect many of them are gearing up for Wii 2's almost inevitable announcement at next year's E3.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 10:46:04 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2010, 12:42:51 PM »
With the Wii interface I think Nintendo is confusing "restrictive" for "simple".  It reminds me of Microsoft's approach with PC software, particularly Office, where to makes things easier and more intuitive they restrict things so that people who actually know what the hell they're doing have to fight the interface the whole time.  The Wii interface is dumbed down and stupid and is designed for the easily confused.

I don't see why they can't make the current design the default and then offer folders and, you know, organization for intelligent people.  Make it in an option.  Why is there this attitude that if you provide an option, simpletons will get confused?

Of course there is also inconsistency in the design anyway as each downloaded title is its own channel but the online store is designed logically with categories and organization and such.  So Stupid McStupidton is too dumb to have a decent interface but is smart enough to navigate the online store and set up his Wii to go online and all that?

Design the Wii 2 for usability first.  If people can handle cellphones then they can handle a videogame system that doesn't treat them like a toddler the whole time.