Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 548565 times)

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #2200 on: February 29, 2012, 02:32:46 PM »
AKSYS Games has announced that the sequel to 999 is coming to North America. It's for 3DS (and Vita) and it's called Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (instead of Good Peple Die).
Neato.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 05:59:57 PM by Fatty_The_Hutt »
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2201 on: February 29, 2012, 07:01:38 PM »
My veins.

Hook it to them.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: March 01, 2012, 01:24:31 AM »
They showed a trailer but it's some weird Japanese one with a rabbit explaining things to you but it does seem to be very similar to the original with watches with numbers on them and simple puzzling solving action. 

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: June 06, 2012, 01:20:39 AM »
I have not been following the 3DS really and am looking into possibly getting one. What games do I need to get, is everyone enjoying the hardware? Does the battery life cause issues?

Basically is it worth it to buys 3DS now?
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: June 06, 2012, 07:09:40 AM »
The battery life issue was slightly overblown. If you set it on max brightness and had the radio on all day, yeah, it gets short quick. Games wise, Mario Kart 7 is the one game I can unconditionally recommend. There are other games I can recommend, but I don't know your tastes and there are a number I haven't played.

With the revision on the horizon, it might be worth waiting for some details before buying in.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: June 06, 2012, 07:31:42 AM »
3DS games are still a bit lacking at the moment, but there is some good content out there and more coming in the not-too-distant future.  Mario Kart and Super Mario Land 3D are probably the safest recommendations, but my favorite game by far has been the exclusive Resident Evil: Revelations. Others to consider are Street Fighter IV, Kid Icarus Uprising, and the Starfox/Zelda remakes.

The 3DS eShop has a handful of great downloads - in fact there are probably more "must play" games here than at retail. Pushmo, Colors! 3D, Mutant Mudds, Zen Pinball, VVVVVV, and Might Switch Force are all worth owning.

So is it worth buying now?  I'm happy with my purchase... but part of that is because I was given 20 Ambassador games and Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition.  If you see a system on sale or a second-hand deal locally, I'd say go ahead and buy. Otherwise wait until there is a game you really want to play.

...With the revision on the horizon, it might be worth waiting for some details before buying in.

Has "the revision" been confirmed or is it still just rumor?  I've heard whispers that a version with a larger screen is coming eventually, but unless there is an official announcement this week I'm not going to put much faith in that possibility.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 07:36:22 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: June 06, 2012, 10:02:03 PM »
Wrong thread. Sorry.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:07:34 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: June 06, 2012, 10:19:05 PM »
It technically hasn't been confirmed, but with this generation rumours over the last couple of years have been shown to have a surprising rate of accuracy. It's also due with the historical time line. The info is in some other thread.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: June 21, 2012, 05:52:35 PM »
Well, with the 3DS finally getting software that appeals to me (Castlevania, Kingdom Hearts, Paper Mario), I bought a "Midnight Indigo" (Purple) 3DS today along with Resident Evil Revelations (+Circle Pad Pro) and a free copy of Pilotwings Resort.  Now I have some DS games like Radiant Historia and Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story to catch-up on, as they were released after I got rid of my old DS Lite.  As for memory, a local store had the 8 GB SD Cards on sale for $12, so that seemed like a good buy at the moment.  I still haven't come close to maxing-out my 8 GB SD card for my Wii, and that thing's stuff with Virtual Console and WiiWare games so I think I'll be fine with GBA and GBC games.

Just to be safe, I'm keeping my 3DS sealed in its box until after tonight's Nintendo Direct.  I don't expect a 3DS hardware revision announcement, but it's better to be safe than discover after I've opened it that they've announced a major redesign I'd want instead.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: June 21, 2012, 06:30:34 PM »
I bought a "Midnight Indigo" (Purple) 3DS today along with Resident Evil Revelations (+Circle Pad Pro) and a free copy of Pilotwings Resort.

I purchased a Black 3DS at launch, but I'd absolutely love to have a purple one. I just can't justify swapping it though without a revision.

I still haven't played 'Revelaitons' or Pilowings. I haven't managed to find Pilotwings going for an appropriate price, and Revelations is a Resident Evil game, which for me is a deterrent.

I'm really looking forward to Sticker Star though. I was pretty disappointed by SPM, so I'm hopeful that this game does away with it's predessor's bland platformer elements and returns to the series' RPG roots. I love the idea of a platformer mixed with an RPG in concept, but having played SPM I've been soured on the idea.
Gouge away.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: June 21, 2012, 08:17:20 PM »
I purchased a Black 3DS at launch, but I'd absolutely love to have a purple one. I just can't justify swapping it though without a revision.

For me, it was between the Light Blue and the Purple.  Both were Utah Jazz colors, but Purple's my favorite so that's what I went with.

I'm really looking forward to Sticker Star though. I was pretty disappointed by SPM, so I'm hopeful that this game does away with it's predessor's bland platformer elements and returns to the series' RPG roots. I love the idea of a platformer mixed with an RPG in concept, but having played SPM I've been soured on the idea.

Indeed.  That's why I've been wanting to play Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.

Speaking of which...

Nice: My local GameStop had a Used Copy of M&L: Bowser's Inside Story that still had a case and manual.  :)

Nicer: It also had a Club Nintendo Code slip, which was still valid.   :D

Even Nicer: The 30 coins from that registration actually brought me over the threshold into Club Nintendo Gold Status.   ;D

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: June 21, 2012, 08:20:38 PM »
How did you get the CPP? I've been looking for one for months now and no dice.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: June 21, 2012, 08:22:57 PM »

My GameStop had 4-5 of them just hanging on the wall, so I just bought one.   :confused;

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: June 21, 2012, 10:08:52 PM »

My GameStop had 4-5 of them just hanging on the wall, so I just bought one.   :confused;

Same here. Took my sister to the local Gamestop this week and they had plenty. She had been looking at other stores for it. Maybe you don't realize they are Gamestop exclusive?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: June 21, 2012, 10:10:05 PM »
...I know this. Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but I'm not an idiot. I've known this since they were announced for the US. I just can't find any.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: June 21, 2012, 10:13:35 PM »
...I know this. Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but I'm not an idiot. I've known this since they were announced for the US. I just can't find any.

Have you tried going onto GameStop's website, looking up the CPP, and then using the "PickUp@Store" function to search for stores in your area (based on Zip Code)?  That system has its problems (for instance, it currently says there are no Purple 3DSs in my entire state, and I just bought one), but it will give you an idea where to look.

EDIT: In the end, I decided to open my 3DS and get it all set-up, Nintendo Direct be damned.  Besides, there was a lot of system set-up stuff I just didn't want to end up doing at 1:00 AM EST.  I can't believe how I've jumped from being just shy of Gold Status to being just a hair away from Platinum Status on Club Nintendo (530 coins, with at least 2 3DS & 1 DS post-play survey to come in a week).

As for the 3DS itself, I really don't like the system's OS.  For one thing, it's kind of ugly, especially in comparison to the Vita's OS.  Also, you can't seem to control the color of the background, and it seems really random when you can get by with just the Dpad & buttons and when you have to break out the stylus (and I hate breaking out the stylus to use on that tiny lower screen).  It's also a little annoying that Nintendo is still using blocks to represent file size, as it's hard to gauge just how big downloads are.  At least it's pretty simple to use.  I look forward to playing some games on this thing as soon as it's done with its initial charge.  I have some demos and some retail games to play.   :D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 10:20:29 PM by broodwars »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: June 21, 2012, 10:14:26 PM »
'Not coming off as a jerk' would be to politely inform us that you were aware of it and move on. All we are trying to do is help you find one. Not everyone knows everything. It could be very easy to miss a small detail.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: June 22, 2012, 12:39:30 AM »
I apologize.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: June 22, 2012, 12:49:42 AM »

I got mine in February. It came in a box with Japanese writing on it.
Maybe you've been looking in the wrong place.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: June 22, 2012, 02:13:29 AM »
So I put an hour or so into completing the first episode of Resident Evil Revelations, and so far I really like the game.  It's the first Resident Evil I've played in quite some time that actually felt like a horror game, rather than an action movie...at least so far.  And for all the complaints over the Circle Pad Pro, I think it's fairly comfortable aside from a slight cramp from holding the unit up at an angle to play.  It took me about a half hour or so to get used to the Circle Pads, though, but after some heavy camera movement it feels pretty natural.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2220 on: July 01, 2012, 03:46:11 PM »
Here's something I never would have thought this time last year:

The 3DS has too many games coming out that I want to play.

It's a great problem to have though. Thankfully, I don't feel compelled to buy every game Day One. Although my eShop wishlist is getting alarmingly large...

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: July 01, 2012, 08:51:29 PM »
The eShop is boss. What a great lineup of games.

So with Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion on the horizon, what other Nintendo titles would you like to see? I'd like a Kirby with 3D models, myself- since, you know, it's doubtful they'll ever make a 3D Kirby at this point.

Also, Metroid.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: July 01, 2012, 11:37:15 PM »
I would kill for a Zelda utilizing the top down view of LttP.  I think the 3d affect would be perfect for that viewpoint.  I'd also love an official Pokemon for 3ds, I've avoided the black/white releases so that once the next generation appear on 3ds, it'll be all the much better for me lol. 

Oh and Animal Crossing, I've been waiting for this game since it was announced.  I've been needing my fix for a LONG time now :/

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: July 02, 2012, 12:32:30 AM »
Why are 3D Classics games so loud compared to other 3DS games? On the opposite end of the spectrum, Virtual Console games are too quiet.

I wish Nintendo would patch the system's OS so we can adjust the max volume.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:34:08 AM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: July 02, 2012, 02:41:10 AM »
I would kill for a Zelda utilizing the top down view of LttP.  I think the 3d affect would be perfect for that viewpoint.  I'd also love an official Pokemon for 3ds, I've avoided the black/white releases so that once the next generation appear on 3ds, it'll be all the much better for me lol. 

Oh and Animal Crossing, I've been waiting for this game since it was announced.  I've been needing my fix for a LONG time now :/
I'm seriously debating skipping Black and White 2, WAIT NO GAME FREAK HAS ME BY THE BALLS LOL.

But really, I don't see the need to buy another title for a story and additional areas that should have been in the first game. I'd rather wait for Pokemon 3DS to make its appearance. As for Zelda, I'm torn as to whether I'd like a top-down or a truly 3D Zelda experience on the 3DS- we know the graphics can be nice, so why not give us something pretty? Then again, Spirit Tracks/Phantom Hourglass didn't take so long because they WEREN'T hung up on the art style... which makes me sad.

I want a portable Zelda really bad. One with content, please. Spirit Tracks, while being wonderful, had WAY too short of a story.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.