Author Topic: My Personal Review of Rareware N64 titles  (Read 17935 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: My Personal Review of Rareware N64 titles
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2010, 05:33:49 PM »
yeah, sometimes though it takes a while to get into a game. I still haven't gotten into JFG(i still have to check my box to see if i bought it), but Castlevania 64 II  started off shitty, then it got really fun about 25% through the game. I'm pretty sure it being a Rare game it really deserves more than my 6/10. We'll see someday.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Re: My Personal Review of Rareware N64 titles
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 01:37:47 AM »
Jet Force Gemini

Sorry for ruining this thread's fun, but there is so much bad level design, running through open space, retarded fetch quests, collecting, and other pointless detours that I can't forgive. I did forgive it when I was younger, but that's because I was starved. I was a street performer, not even a nickel to my name. I laughed at seeing giant corridors with one or two crates sitting there as some sort of cover or semblance of decoration. Or how about this one: a long corridor with a branching path to a room with a Tribal and some ammo. Or this: a corridor maze with scattered health gemini and multiple doors. Even better: an underwater corridor. A long, spiraling ramp to a door that won't open unless you clear the enemies first. A series of elevator platforms leading to Tribals. Why did N64 games do stuff like this? OOT had the giant empty field, Metroid 64 had the expansive but pointless home base... just to look good in screenshots I guess. Ugh. Like Marina Sirtis a few of the external areas still hold up pretty well but are rarely well-utilized.

I don't know what Kytim was talking about, the controls and targeting are the best parts about it. The shooting itself is a lot of fun, I loved killing ants and nabbing their heads as a trophy, but the jumping is terrible (and a few forced platforming parts just suck). The health gauge is just right, and health/ammo upgrade placement was clearly given careful consideration. It's a shame the rest of it is a total turnoff. I'm at the last pyramid and the door won't open for Lupus, probably because I didn't find enough effing Tribals. If Wikipedia is to be believed, collecting them all is necessary to finish the game. This is where the cartridge slips the surly bonds of my Nintendo 64 to touch the face of the inside of the garbage bin.

Hope it was worth it Microsoft.

007/10
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 01:41:18 AM by Zap »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.