Author Topic: Epic Mickey - Wii Exclusive  (Read 161053 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Epic Mickey - Wii Exclusive
« on: October 05, 2009, 05:03:20 PM »

Spoiler Alert: “Epic” November Issue Revealed

The rumors have been flying for months. From the outrageous (some actually thought we were bought by Disney, which was quite funny), to the right on (our forums pieced together all the clues from the last issue), the time has come to lay all rumors to rest. The November cover is indeed, Disney Epic Mickey, coming exclusively to the Nintendo Wii from Junction Point and Disney Interactive Studios.

This issue is the first of our highly anticipated redesign that subscribers should be receiving around October 12th.

Starting at 4PM CST today we will unveil the first companion piece to the magazine: an exclusive video interview with Warren Spector about his relationship with Mickey Mouse, including a portion of his giant Disney memorabilia collection that is housed at Junction Point. We will also have a photo-blog chronicling many of the outstanding pieces in his collection hitting at the same time.

This is just the beginning of our month of Mickey madness that will unfold over the next three plus weeks. So be sure to watch our Disney Epic Mickey landing page over the following month.

We don’t want to spoil what’s to come, but we have some amazing things in store, including screenshots, animations, and tons of concept art and music.

Watch for the issue in your mailbox over the coming weeks and make sure to come to gameinformer.com for the latest updates and news.

Oh yeah, and one last thing. All GI covers from here on out will feature a full wrap-around cover. Here is the Mickey cover in all its glory. The best part, and the reason we switched to these, is that the subscriber address label and the UPC will be on the back so it no longer clashes with our wonderful cover art.

Platform: Wii
Style: 1-Player Action
Publisher: Disney Interactive
Developer: Junction Point
Release: Fall 2010

Wallpaper:
Regular:
http://i35.tinypic.com/2j2f284.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/2zfmmqa.png

Hi-res:
http://i36.tinypic.com/1496zbq.jpg

Screenshots:
First Glimpse
First Glimpse HQ
More Coming Soon

Videos:
Coming Soon

Junction Point's Facebook Page

Game Informer Exclusive Coverage

Game Informer Cover

GameInformer Updates: http://gameinformer.com/mag/mickey.aspx
October 5th
Warren Spector and the Disney Collection - Feature
Warren Spector and the Disney Collection - HD Video Interview

October 9th
Rise of an Icon: A Pictorial History of Mickey Mouse

October 12th
Sketching Mickey: The Time Lapse Video

October 15th
The Art of Epic Mickey
In His Own Words: A Profile of Game Creator Warren Spector
Junction Point: A Studio Profile

October 19th
Inside the Game: An In-Depth Look at Epic Mickey's Art and Animation

October 23rd
An Interview with Warren Spector

October 26th
Anatomy of a Screenshot

October 28th
Audio Tour with Warren Spector

Quote from: Warren Spector - Dec 2008
"My team and I have been working hard on our own and (get ready for the cool factor to go way up) in collaboration with folks from Disney Feature Animation and Pixar."

Quote from: EuroGamer - Oct. 2009
Epic Mickey is a tale about the 'forgotten' Disney stars: the rides, the characters, the lesser-known cartoons. When nobody any longer cares, they are cast into a dark void; a forgotten world of broken machines and bitter personalities - a bit like Sid's bedroom in Toy Story, but without the friendly furnishings.

This forgotten world is run by Oswald the Rabbit. He was Disney's first creation, made long before Mickey Mouse, and his jealousy of the newcomer has fermented for years. Now, finally, Oswald is ready for revenge.

He unleashes The Phantom Blot to wipe out Mickey and his cartoon world. The Blot pollutes the Disney universe with sticky black ink that makes colours run and fade (as seen on the Game Informer cover), so it's up to Mickey to restore peace and order. And this is where his tools come in.

Mickey has to draw and scribble his way through levels, mending broken bridges by applying the right colour paint or peering through walls after applying thinner. He can even clear rubble from his path by erasing parts of the world.

Our source told us Epic Mickey is a game about thinking and artwork - laterally considering your environment in order to overcome puzzles.

On top of that is a healthy dose of exploration, plus Mickey will be getting "his first makeover in years". "That's why no one's seen his face yet," our source explained, "But he's far more retro than you've seen him for years."

That is all the details so far, but this post will be updated as more is known.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 10:22:54 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Epic Mickey - Wii Exclusive
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 05:09:38 PM »
Does their redesign include actual Wii coverage this time around?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 05:12:38 PM »
Epic Mickey coverage at least. And that's only on Wii, so does that count?

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 05:15:29 PM »
Ah Damnit, I just made my own topic and was about to post it.  Then I refreshed my browser and see that you posted this while I was making mine.  >:(

Oh well, I'll just post what I had in mine.

Well even though it has been rumored for months now, GameInformer has now confirmed it.  Epic Mickey is an exclusive Wii platformer that seems to take a twisted take on Disney.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374094

Oh and I should mention that the reason everyone is excited about the game is because Warren Spector is in charge of the project.  In case anyone doesn't know who Warren Spector is, read his Wiki page and then you'll see there's good reason to be excited for this game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Spector
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 05:17:41 PM »
Wasn't there some info on Computer and Videogames.
Something about using the Wii remote to draw and erase the level. Also that the story was about old characters getting revenge on Mickey.

Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 05:20:39 PM »
Everything we know about this game as I've documented in the Official Wii Rumor Thread

Remember this...

The game we all want and didn't even know it? - Super Annutation coming through again.

Warren Spectre & Disney/Pixar working on "Epic Mickey" for the Wii?
http://www.fredgambino.co.uk/film_tv_thmbs.html
Amongst other non-ludological things, concept art for an “interactive game” called “Epic Mickey.”

Seems to lend some credibility to that story from late last year about a Warren Spector-developed, steampunk-themed title of the same name. I really, really, really hope this is being fully realized, or I’ll be very sad.

Gamasutra.com ran a story on this game in Dec. of 2008. They also ran posted more in an interview with Warren Spectre @ E3.

And here is a pic straight from the Junction Point Studio website

Quote from: JunctionPointStudio.com
Boy, do we wish we could talk about what we're working on. Soon… Soon…

To quote Warren: "When we DO announce what we're doing, half the world's going to think we're crazy and half the world's going to think it's the coolest thing since sliced bread–how great is that?!"

1up has an article up on this game as well

*all pics in this post are a link*

It appears that the next Game Informer is gonna have more info on this game, and hopefully reveal a platform for it.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 05:21:24 PM »
Wii sucks, it gets no 3rd party support.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 05:30:03 PM »
Wii sucks, it gets no 3rd party support.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 05:33:05 PM »
So it does exist. It could be interesting if it is done right.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 05:36:28 PM »
It could be interesting if it is done right.

We still don't even know what genre the game will be!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 05:38:22 PM »
Also that the story was about old characters getting revenge on Mickey.

A lot of people are speculating that the main villain could be Oswald the Rabbit.  For anyone that doesn't know, Oswald was Walt Disneys original creation that he made before Mickey Mouse.  Since he made it while working for Universal Studios, Universal owned the rights to the character.  It wasn't until 2006, that Disney would get the right to Oswald the Rabbit back from Universal.  They traded sportscaster Al Michaels to NBC, in order to get the rights to Oswald back. 

So considering how Disney really wanted Oswald back and he was Walt Disney's original creation before Mickey, I'd put good money on him being the final boss.  Hey maybe he'll merge together with Walt Disney's frozen head and become Giga Oswald the Walt Rabbit.  :o
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 05:41:16 PM »
Seriously I am really excited for this game, Warren is a tremendous designer IMO, and the art style looks great.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 05:45:27 PM »
guided fps

D=

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 05:48:13 PM »
Just checked the Wikipedia page that LuigiDude posted and I haven't played any of his games. I heard of all of them though.

He seems to have been working on this steampunk style for a while.

*3 responses were posted while you were typing.*

Vudu I heard it was a platformer.
Interesting LuigiDude. I'll have to look into that further.

GP yes it is a nice take on the Mickey World.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 03:01:39 AM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 05:49:12 PM »
It could be interesting if it is done right.

We still don't even know what genre the game will be!
I thought it was confirmed that it was a platformer...?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 05:50:24 PM »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 05:55:23 PM »
It's going to be an on-rails shooter.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 05:56:24 PM »
One thing I feel that has hurt my Wii experience has been the lack of something to look forward to, something to follow the development of.  Part of the fun of being a videogame nut is the waiting.  It's fun to have that "can't wait" feeling and it's fun to soak in little bits of new information as its released.

I'm not saying the Wii has no games to look forward to.  The problem is that the third party support sucks and Nintendo themselves are super secretive about everything now.  So yeah there are games that I'm looking forward to but Nintendo ain't going to reveal jack **** about them until the game is pretty much out.  There's no sneak previews or concept art or demos or anything like that.  They reveal the game and then they release it at some indeterminate point after that.  You can argue that the vast majority of the Wii userbase doesn't give a **** so why should Nintendo waste their time with it.  You can also argue that pre-release hype for some games is taken too far to the point where the player can know the entire plot including ending before the game is even out.  Still it's part of being a gamer and it is noticably absent on the Wii.  If you question the amount of Wii coverage out there I think it's worth noting there is usually nothing to cover.  Nintendo showed something at E3 - you'll next see it when it comes out.  What's to cover with that?

But here is something that is doing that traditional pre-release reveal and hype building.  It's nice.  I miss it.  Hell as a videogames forum we NEED this sort of info to have anything to discuss about.  You think it's a coincidence that this gen some of the biggest discussion for upcoming games is in the General Gaming folder?

I've never played a Warren Spector game (as a Nintendo console goal how could I?) but the list of games he's worked on has the critical acclaim to ensure that I'm interested.  Plus this style for Disney is just so unheard-of.  I initially assumed this whole thing was a hoax or something that had snuck under Disney's radar and surely would be set "right" but now it clearly isn't.  It stands out.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 06:01:16 PM »
I've never played a Warren Spector game (as a Nintendo console goal how could I?)
A couple of those games were released on the Super NES but I don't think they sold very well.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 06:05:45 PM »
more info I forgot to include from the rumor thread

1st Details on Epic Mickey from CVG

We've since been told that it's a Wii-exclusive where you paint your way through levels using the Wii Remote. This 'painting your way' involves you drawing, etching and erasing whole or parts of levels as you go. Capcom's Okami immediately springs to mind but we've not got enough info to go on to make any kind of informed judgement.

As for the story, we've also been told that it'll be based around very old and/or forgotten Disney characters who are out to get their revenge on Mickey, presumably because they're jealous of all his fame and fortune. We Googled 'early Disney characters' and found that Oswald the Lucky Rabbit returned a lot of hits. A bit before even CVG's time all that though.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 06:08:08 PM »
Epic Mickey coverage at least. And that's only on Wii, so does that count?

If all they're discussing is Disney this, Mickey that, cool art wahoo, and no actual Wii game details, no, that's not Wii coverage.  That's just a massive brand advertisement scheme between the game publisher and the magazine publisher.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 06:08:48 PM »
I've never played a Warren Spector game (as a Nintendo console goal how could I?)
A couple of those games were released on the Super NES but I don't think they sold very well.
I was going to say that.

Ian as far as news goes. There is news but I have been busy doing other things and have been playing games.Hard to juggle things around. I like to try and focus on the game and complete it. So I shun other things.

Thanks to Black N Mild for keeping up with the News though.

And with that I am very interested in trying out one of Warren Spector's games.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 06:10:16 PM »
Another thing, if this project is special, why wasn't it shown at E3?  (why wasn't Cod4 Acid Reflux shown at E3?)

Are the devs really that far behind to not have a working game presentable?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 06:12:43 PM »
Another thing, if this project is special, why wasn't it shown at E3?  (why wasn't Cod4 Acid Reflux shown at E3?)

Are the devs really that far behind to not have a working game presentable?

Who cares, it isn't due out until Fall of 2010. They didn't show actually footage of CoD: MW2 until this year.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 06:14:20 PM »
This whole industry is in shambles.