Author Topic: Help Feature Confirmed for New Super Mario Bros. Wii  (Read 24665 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Help Feature Confirmed for New Super Mario Bros. Wii
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2009, 04:16:26 PM »
As for a future with gamers who only watch their games, remember Nintendo patented it so non-Nintendo games won't have the feature anyway.

Yeah but patents are usually very specific.  Nintendo can't just say "the game plays itself if you want" and earn a patent.  So if it took off other developers could just do something similar but technically different.  Case in point my suggestion of making the "instant win" an item of sorts with limited uses is technically different than Nintendo's feature.  Somebody could do that and effectively offer the same thing.

Is Nintendo's idea just literally a video or does the game actually play itself?  Whatever it is, do the opposite, and you would likely get around the patent and provide similar functionality to the player.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2009, 04:38:31 PM »
I though Toki Tori handled a system like this well. You could use an item to skip a level, but in order to retrieve that level skip item you needed to eventually beat the level you previously couldn't beat.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2009, 05:17:32 PM »
As for a future with gamers who only watch their games, remember Nintendo patented it so non-Nintendo games won't have the feature anyway.

Yeah but patents are usually very specific.  Nintendo can't just say "the game plays itself if you want" and earn a patent.  So if it took off other developers could just do something similar but technically different.  Case in point my suggestion of making the "instant win" an item of sorts with limited uses is technically different than Nintendo's feature.  Somebody could do that and effectively offer the same thing.

Is Nintendo's idea just literally a video or does the game actually play itself?  Whatever it is, do the opposite, and you would likely get around the patent and provide similar functionality to the player.

According to one of the guys on ListenUp it has three degrees, 1st one has a video of what you're supposed to do play in a small window, picture-in-picture kind of thing, 2nd pauses the game and plays the video full screen, 3rd actually plays it for you.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2009, 09:26:54 PM »

According to one of the guys on ListenUp it has three degrees, 1st one has a video of what you're supposed to do play in a small window, picture-in-picture kind of thing, 2nd pauses the game and plays the video full screen, 3rd actually plays it for you.

I'm still amazed they got away with patenting that.  2 of those 3 things have been done by DVDs and Blu-Rays for years.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2009, 04:18:55 PM »
This seems to be a pretty popular topic on the interwebs.

http://www.destructoid.com/a-difficult-subject-136911.phtml
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2009, 04:39:18 PM »
In two years, Sony and Microsoft will bring out their own help systems and say they have been working on them for ages.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2009, 06:55:12 PM »
In two years, Sony and Microsoft will bring out their own help systems and say they have been working on them for ages.

Natal will see the level of frustration on your face and adjust the difficulty accordingly.