Author Topic: Super Mario Galaxy 2  (Read 189618 times)

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Galaxy 2
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2009, 04:08:15 PM »
Taking a moment away from soul-crushing labor to catch up on E3 news, I noticed this picture.  In it, you can see how Mario has to plug Yoshi's... cloaca with his chin to make sure the air is expelled out the right end.  Fascinating.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2009, 04:17:49 PM »
Taking a moment away from soul-crushing labor to catch up on E3 news, I noticed this picture.  In it, you can see how Mario has to plug Yoshi's... cloaca with his chin to make sure the air is expelled out the right end.  Fascinating.

lol avatar worthy
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2009, 04:22:08 PM »
My word.  Mature Mario, indeed.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2009, 04:23:42 PM »

If you imagine a brithish accent when reading this post, you'd probably want a Discovery Channel documentary on Yoshi as much as i do...
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2009, 04:30:24 PM »
i think one of the biggest drawbacks to sunshine is mario lost half of his moves just so they could throw flood on his back, in mario 64 you could bounce around like a crazy madman, and that returned in Galaxy. Mario Sunshine was great though, it had some great songs especially. I prefered Galaxy, but you know I never tried to get all the shines in Sunshine, so maybe i missed some of the more fun challanges.

I've been thinking, i really should rearange my wii and gamecube games so that series are contuguous. I miss my stolen games though :( If your roommates drug dealer suddenly moves into your apartment because your other roommate bailed out, hide your ****! That still pisses the **** out of me, im still not sure who took it, there were so many shady mafakas coming in and out of my place.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2009, 06:04:55 PM »
he's a drug dealer, he got money, make him replace them.
maybe he knows some people willing to trade those games back for some "compensation"

Offline Snipper64

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2009, 07:16:58 PM »

Truely.... Truely amazing...
If you imagine a brithish accent when reading this post, you'd probably want a Discovery Channel documentary on Yoshi as much as i do...
I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!

VOTE FOR CHOANIKI! you know you want too...

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2009, 10:34:37 PM »
Hmm.

Hmmmmm.

Not sure what to make of this. On the one hand, Galaxy is in my top 5 games ever and I love it to death. So of course I'm excited for more... but I dunno. I liked having only one Mario platformer per generation - it makes them even more special. The last thing I want is to have an unoriginal and uninspired Mario game, which I don't like as much since I've already had a very similar experience not so long ago.

But most of all, I don't want Tokyo EAD (the best developers in the world) to be tied down to this - they should be on to other things (*cough* Pikmin).

I feel exactly the same.

I feel like I can't complain because is more galaxy and galaxy is awesome, but is almost the same game, Yoshi alone doesn't make this the super mario world of the 3D Marios. I'll buy it day one anyway.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2009, 10:58:27 PM »
This is also the first real sequel to a main series Mario game. Other installments kind of did their own thing and were so unique because of it. I liked Galaxy, but I couldn't bring myself to play it again as Luigi.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2009, 01:03:49 AM »
I see absolutely no reason to be skeptical of this game on the basis of its direct relation to the first Mario Galaxy.

Unless, that is, you have the same qualms about Majora's Mask.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2009, 02:09:42 AM »
I liked Galaxy, but I couldn't bring myself to play it again as Luigi.

I played through straight away as Luigi. Completed it. Then played through as Mario again. Then played through as Luigi again.

Galaxy was incredible and like Kairon I see absolutely no reason how anyone can have anything negative or skeptical to say about this announcement.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2009, 03:12:44 AM »
I see absolutely no reason to be skeptical of this game on the basis of its direct relation to the first Mario Galaxy.

I don't think this can really be compared to the Majora's Mask situation.  Majora's Mask made it very clear from very early on in the project that it was going to be a very different game from Ocarina.  It had a much more whimsical and colorful art direction than Ocarina as well, so it's pretty easy to tell the two games apart for the most part.  Plus you had the whole 3-day and mask aspects of Majora's Mask.  With Mario Galaxy 2, though, if you took a screenshot of the first game and compared it to a screenshot from the second that didn't have Yoshi in it, I think it'd be practically impossible for most people to distinguish between the two.  Now, if more of the same is what you want out of a Mario Galaxy successor, there you are and I hope you enjoy it.  Otherwise, I just don't see what there is to be excited about.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 03:14:19 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2009, 03:35:21 AM »
what I'm exited about is that this is supposed to provide a more challenging experience than the original. The original was fantastic, but you could literally beat the game without actually having to get face any really challenging stars. Most of the difficulty was in the special levels, comets, and the purple coins. If this game plays and looks just like the first but gives me new environments and a real challenge, that is something to be excited about.
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2009, 03:38:10 AM »

I don't think this can really be compared to the Majora's Mask situation.  Majora's Mask made it very clear from very early on in the project that it was going to be a very different game from Ocarina.  It had a much more whimsical and colorful art direction than Ocarina as well, so it's pretty easy to tell the two games apart for the most part.  Plus you had the whole 3-day and mask aspects of Majora's Mask.  With Mario Galaxy 2, though, if you took a screenshot of the first game and compared it to a screenshot from the second that didn't have Yoshi in it, I think it'd be practically impossible for most people to distinguish between the two.  Now, if more of the same is what you want out of a Mario Galaxy successor, there you are and I hope you enjoy it.  Otherwise, I just don't see what there is to be excited about.

Well it is an expansion pack, what do you expect?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2009, 04:15:01 AM »

Why are you so obsessed with comparing this to Majora's Mask? I know the game ran off of the same game engine but the similarities ended there. A better comparison would be Super Mario Brothers to Super Mario Brothers 2 or Super Mario Brothers 3 to Super Mario World.

what I'm exited about is that this is supposed to provide a more challenging experience than the original.
That worries me. I had enough trouble with the first game so I hope they don't crank up the difficulty to the level of Super Mario Brothers 2!

I just don't see what there is to be excited about.
If you don't like Super Mario Galaxy then go play Anubis II.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2009, 10:30:03 AM »
Super Mario Galaxy hard?  Wha??  I actually took a DECADE off of video games, then Galaxy came out and sucked me back in.  I had no trouble with the difficulty.  Guess I'm just awesome.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2009, 12:06:15 PM »
So it's Super Mario Galaxy: The Lost Levels.  Or maybe The Lost Galaxies.

Has there been any word on the music?  The trailer makes me worry that they're not going to bother with the orchestra this time, and that would be a crying shame.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2009, 12:38:39 PM »
Now, if more of the same is what you want out of a Mario Galaxy successor, there you are and I hope you enjoy it.  Otherwise, I just don't see what there is to be excited about.

i'm pretty sure trolling is against the rules.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2009, 12:56:44 PM »

Has there been any word on the music?  The trailer makes me worry that they're not going to bother with the orchestra this time, and that would be a crying shame.

I've been wondering the same thing. I hope they go for it again. (And maybe Koji Kondo can get a chance to compose more than one song for this one. I remember in some pre-Galaxy Iwata Asks that he regretted only being able to compose the first level's song.)
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2009, 12:59:45 PM »

I hope so!  Lost Levels in maybe my favorite Mario game these days.  If Galaxy 2 turns our notion of how to play Mario on its head the way Lost Levels did, I'll be in heaven.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2009, 02:05:31 PM »

One can only hope he'll get the full orchestra back for this one, as the score for Mario Galaxy was very well-done and suitably epic.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2009, 02:52:49 PM »

The game's not coming out for like a year.  Music will be one of the last things they work on.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2009, 03:21:36 PM »
The game's not coming out for like a year.  Music will be one of the last things they work on.

Exactly.  People have to remember that the orchestrated music in Mario Galaxy wasn't finished until the very end.  Hell, the music that was used in the E3 trailer and demo for E3 2007, were still midi even though the game was only 4 months away from release.

The first time we even found out that Mario Galaxy even had orchestrated music was in October 2007 when it was revealed in an Iwata Ask interview on the game.  This was only 1 MONTH before the games actual release.  So the music right now should be the last thing people worry about.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Snipper64

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2009, 06:37:11 PM »
what I'm exited about is that this is supposed to provide a more challenging experience than the original. The original was fantastic, but you could literally beat the game without actually having to get face any really challenging stars. Most of the difficulty was in the special levels, comets, and the purple coins. If this game plays and looks just like the first but gives me new environments and a real challenge, that is something to be excited about.

Don't even talk about those devil purple coins.... Those are awfull. I miss having to get 100 real coins the old fasion way, finding secrets, and killing baddies certian ways. What ever happen to that?
I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!

VOTE FOR CHOANIKI! you know you want too...

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2009, 06:45:56 PM »

I just figured one of the thousands of pretend journalists at E3 would have asked someone at Nintendo about it by now.