Author Topic: Super Mario Galaxy 2  (Read 189622 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Galaxy 2
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 05:28:36 PM »
Nintendo certainly shouldn't think that they have to follow the Galaxy template and that this planet stuff is the way to go for ever and ever.
The design works just fine and isn't much different than the worlds of Super Mario Brothers 3 being split into numbered levels. It's a platformer, it isn't supposed to have one huge interconnected world.

it was WAAAY to linear for my liking.
It is a platformer, not an adventure game, having an element of exploration isn't necessary. Super Mario Galaxy followed the design philosophies which made the 2D ones so great.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 05:33:38 PM »
When they showed the trailer I was secretly hoping it'd be a 64 sequel, but I'll take what I can get!
What exactly would qualify as a sequel to Super Mario 64? How was Super Mario Sunshine not a sequel to Super Mario 64? How is Super Mario Galaxy by extension not a sequel to Super Mario 64?

Technically it is.  But I want another castle centric game with similar worlds from 64.  But at the end of the day, Galaxy and 64 are very similar, so I'm excited for this.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Snipper64

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 06:16:25 PM »
It is a platformer, not an adventure game, having an element of exploration isn't necessary. Super Mario Galaxy followed the design philosophies which made the 2D ones so great.

That is true also, you can play it anyway in sunshine or M64, as a explorer, or just run through them as a platformer... I do see your point of view also... Hmm... I guess you are right about that, I grew up with  SMB, but I never made the connection between that and galexy... I guess it is just a person prefreance on the gamer to decide if mario is funner as a platformer, or platformer explorer, some people don't have the patiance to explore and enjoy the levels (not making fun of any of you! just some people prefear to play right through the game).

The other prob. I had with galexy, it was too easy (besides the purple coin missions). They threw 1-ups at you like star bits, and more then one ocasion I was able to trible jump and spin jump over locked gates and go places I wasn't surpose to go yet... Just my personal prefreance though... but really, the mail toad give you 5 extra 1-ups at the start of every time you load your game?! Thats going over board a bit.
I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!

VOTE FOR CHOANIKI! you know you want too...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 06:20:49 PM »
I can finally realize my dream of jettisoning Yoshi into the dark recesses of space.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 06:29:19 PM »
I can finally realize my dream of jettisoning Yoshi into the dark recesses of space.

YAAWWWSHEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeee
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 06:44:22 PM »
I think Snipper is a fellow Mario Sunshine fan, so that makes him one of my favorite people.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2009, 06:46:26 PM »
This is better than Super Mario 64 not getting a sequel during the N64 cycle.
Sadly it didn't get one during the GC cycle either.

just thought that could use some repeating ;)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2009, 06:50:49 PM »
This is better than Super Mario 64 not getting a sequel during the N64 cycle.
Sadly it didn't get one during the GC cycle either.

just thought that could use some repeating ;)

And SMW2:YI was a big enough departure to be able to say we didn't get one during the SNES either..
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2009, 07:39:42 PM »
I guess I shouldn't be surprised this topic contains haterade for both Super Mario Sunshine and Yoshi. So much blasphemy in one little thread.
Just get your negativity out of the way now so that the rest of us can be excited for this game in peace.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2009, 07:47:11 PM »
why would the SNES get a sequel to SM64?

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2009, 08:04:10 PM »
I think Snipper is a fellow Mario Sunshine fan, so that makes him one of my favorite people.
I want to be your friend, GP.

Because I <3 SMS for what it is, not what it isn't.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2009, 08:06:50 PM »
Because I <3 SMS for what it is, not what it isn't.
I ♥ Super Mario Sunshine for what it isn't: a huge pile of garbage!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2009, 08:21:50 PM »
Snipper64 actually brought up something that's been bugging me for a few Mario games now: why doesn't Nintendo let you pick your stars as you go while in the levels?  I loved that aspect of Mario 64, where you could select one star; wander around; and accidentally find another more interesting star along the way.  They jetissoned that for Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy, and it's a real shame...it offered a level of freedom I miss in these later games, not to mention cut down on the repetition of "select a star; chase the star; grab the star; kick out to the hub world; select a star...".  Exploration might not be what the Mario games are all about, but it certainly doesn't hurt the experience and can make the more formulaic parts of the game more tolerable.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Snipper64

• View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2009, 08:56:04 PM »
Oh boy... I got three replies to write :D

Yes, I do like mario sunshine more then galexy. It has a funner cleaner and brighter aspect thatt galexy didn't nail. You know those hidden little cave matches where you have to jump floating blocks in mid air to get the star at the end, that is basically all that galexy is!

Look, the upgrades to FLUDD were great, you didn't loose them like you lose the bee suit, ice/fire flower, and boo custom in galexy. Instead they make it run on water, making you conserve your power up, also you could replenish it in a commen pocket of water! Think of the bee suit with not a timer, but a counter, every sec. you fly, the counter goes down by one, that way you have to conserve, or 15 fire balls for each fire flower for example too. Also, Sunshine was just as brillant with it's bosses. Yes, you could fight a dumb skeliton shark with homing missles in galexy, but the eel level in sunshine was HUGE, HARD, and even funny. And how is defeating a Robot bowser on a rollor coster with missles not fun?!?!

P.S. Love your work pheonix XD

I WILL buy this game to watch a sacrificed yoshi get crushed in a black hole :D

Snipper64 actually brought up something that's been bugging me for a few Mario games now: why doesn't Nintendo let you pick your stars as you go while in the levels?  I loved that aspect of Mario 64, where you could select one star; wander around; and accidentally find another more interesting star along the way.  They jetissoned that for Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy, and it's a real shame...it offered a level of freedom I miss in these later games, not to mention cut down on the repetition of "select a star; chase the star; grab the star; kick out to the hub world; select a star...".  Exploration might not be what the Mario games are all about, but it certainly doesn't hurt the experience and can make the more formulaic parts of the game more tolerable.

You are Totaly right! Remember that first snow level for example in SM64? The first star was the slide, but I said F that, and I Grabbed the baby pengrin and gave it back to the mother (FACT: After she gives you the star, you can grab her baby, bring it to the side of a cliff, and throw it over, you know you want too...). I could also take the slide and take the hidden path and get the hidden star first. "Have it your way XD"

Finally, I must admit, in case you didn't watch the Galexy 2 vid closely, mario gets a new weapon in this one, a drill he can use too... err.... drill... He can go right through planets like this too! There is even a boss you can't get close too, so you have to drill on the other side of the planet and pop up under it and drill his as... errr... butt. That looks real cool!
I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2009, 09:38:40 PM »
SMG2 doubters:

More than 90 percent of what you will see in Super Mario Galaxy 2 is all brand new. Maybe even 95 percent.

-ign roundtable

The only thing I want is for them to remove xylophone sound effects because they reminded me of DK64 :(
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2009, 10:51:16 PM »
That's kind of a vague statement though. Of course we can expect there to be all-new worlds but I wonder how much of the graphics and music will be recycled. I didn't really like the music of Galaxy because it is too epic, so I'd hope that they make something more bouncy like the previous Mario games.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2009, 10:55:14 PM »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2009, 10:55:56 PM »
The only thing in the SMG2 trailer that is bothering me is that I've realized Mario's footprints in the snow are floating above it, right before he jumps off that snowy ledge.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 10:57:31 PM by ThomasO »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2009, 11:07:09 PM »
The only thing in the SMG2 trailer that is bothering me is that I've realized Mario's footprints in the snow are floating above it, right before he jumps off that snowy ledge.
This game has at the very least another year of development ahead of it so I'm sure there is still more polishing to do before it is finished, especially when it comes to graphics.

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2009, 11:07:39 PM »
I donno. Too soon?

2010 means Holiday 2010.  It'll be a full 3 years since the original.

I'm not sure Nintendo will wait that long, as according to Miyamoto, those working on it are...
really really far along. Since we are releasing New Super Mario Bros. Wii this year we decided to hold off on this until next year.

Maybe it'll be a spring 2010 release?
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2009, 11:19:40 PM »
I'm not sure Nintendo will wait that long, as according to Miyamoto, those working on it are...
really really far along. Since we are releasing New Super Mario Bros. Wii this year we decided to hold off on this until next year.

Maybe it'll be a spring 2010 release?
Hm, interesting. They must have started on it right after finishing the first game. Maybe they won't get around to fixing the footprints...
I'd rather have this released this holiday and New Super Mario Brothers 2 delayed. That game lloks like it needs more time anyway...

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2009, 02:17:24 AM »
Hmm.

Hmmmmm.

Not sure what to make of this. On the one hand, Galaxy is in my top 5 games ever and I love it to death. So of course I'm excited for more... but I dunno. I liked having only one Mario platformer per generation - it makes them even more special. The last thing I want is to have an unoriginal and uninspired Mario game, which I don't like as much since I've already had a very similar experience not so long ago.

But most of all, I don't want Tokyo EAD (the best developers in the world) to be tied down to this - they should be on to other things (*cough* Pikmin).
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2009, 10:24:13 AM »
Based on the little bit of info offered in Miyamoto's roundtable discussion, it sounds like Tokyo EAD were likely quite excited to put to use the many ideas they left out of Galaxy 1. Whether or not it turns out to be an equal or better game isn't for sure, but I have a feeling they're not tied down with this project.

Also, it sounds like Galaxy 2 is pretty far along in development, so maybe they can get crackin' on Pikmin 3 in full force sooner rather than later (if that's what they'll end up working on next).
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline Snipper64

• View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2009, 03:24:55 PM »
Based on the little bit of info offered in Miyamoto's roundtable discussion, it sounds like Tokyo EAD were likely quite excited to put to use the many ideas they left out of Galaxy 1. Whether or not it turns out to be an equal or better game isn't for sure, but I have a feeling they're not tied down with this project.

Also, it sounds like Galaxy 2 is pretty far along in development, so maybe they can get crackin' on Pikmin 3 in full force sooner rather than later (if that's what they'll end up working on next).

I make games on flash. If there is one thing I can tell you, it is MUCH MUCH faster and easyer to rehash a old games code and graphics. The final product may be a little... errrr... unoriginal, but with some new code, better looking levels and ideas, and some TLC, this game could end up being decent.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2009, 03:29:03 PM »
If they are excited then I have no worries. I just want to see some brand new zany invironments.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn