Author Topic: Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver remakes on the way  (Read 142636 times)

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
What would be the point? Even if a third dimension were added, it'd still be the same game with a different presentation.
That's a very close-minded view of Pokemon.  Part of the thrill of Pokemon is discovering the Pokemon world.
I suppose that's true. I was thinking more about the battle system which, as the Pokémon Stadium games have shown, is just as mind-numbing in 3D as it is in 2D. In fact, since they drag on ever longer, they are probably even more boring in 3D.

Those remarks about Zelda: OoT are so wrong that I'm not even going to comment on them...

I like the battle system, even in 3D; how is it much different then what's in your average Final Fantasy, anyway?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
I like the battle system, even in 3D; how is it much different then what's in your average Final Fantasy, anyway?
It's more simple, but it isn't much different. Final Fantasy also got even more boring when it moved to 3D.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
You know what would make me go back to Pokemon? Get rid of the HM's. They're frustratingly limiting. I hate hauling Bibarrel around (he's my HM slave) just so I can cut down a bush or shove a rock. Use high-level Pokemon instead, like old RPG's did.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
You know what would make me go back to Pokemon? Get rid of the HM's. They're frustratingly limiting. I hate hauling Bibarrel around (he's my HM slave) just so I can cut down a bush or shove a rock. Use high-level Pokemon instead, like old RPG's did.

I agree with being frustrated with HMs. I refuse to use any of the weak HMs on my main team with the exception of Fly and Surf. It seems that every game adds some new HMs and they just detract from the experience for me. Defog, Rock Climb, Rock Smash, Strength, Waterfall, Surf, Fly, Cut and Whirlpool. Yikes! Maybe they could allow you to teach HM moves aside from your four regular moves and only allow them to be used outside of battle.

Though I'd like each of your monsters to be able to learn more than four moves at once. four feels a bit limiting.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
The main thing wrong with the battle system in the 3rd games is often it can take a very very long time. Input an attack and then watching the hp diminish and then a status affect, it just takes an ungodly amount of time. Add in the fact that the pokemon don't do too much on the animation side, then things become mind numbing. Thought I played the heck out of Stadium 1 and 2, but could not complete the battle modes in collesium or battle revolution because I thought the graphics were just plain aweful.

For some reason, some pokemon looked awesome, and others looked like absolute crap! I would love an entire 3d experience, but where the battles are just a little faster paced and more animated. I always wanted the pokemon to touch in the latest 3d game but when that happend it too looked like crap.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
I really hate when you are in a special weather area so EVERY random battle takes forever to run through because it has to animate the 'weather effects' each turn. If I'm in those areas for more than a little bit I turn off the animations.
My Game Collection

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
I didn't mind the slow pace of the animation in the Stadium games, mainly because I liked the rest of the presentation too much to complain (great music, and I loved the overly-enthusiastic announcer). I cared for it less in the GCN and Wii games, tho, because I didn't like presentation as much. But yeah, the animations for the weather conditions kinda bugged me too, since they show up every damn turn.

Oh, and here's the announcement: http://www.pokemon.co.jp/info/game/g090508_01.html

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver remakes on the way
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2009, 12:05:44 AM »
Yeah, NWR has a headline as well now. The Meowth is out of the bag.
My Game Collection

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Remakes? I don't think so. I'm thinking it might be the announcement for a re-release of Gold and Silver for download on the DS, as the first two titles for the DS's portable Virtual Console.

*FACEPALM*

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Give me a Pokemon MMORPG.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
AGREED
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2009, 03:18:35 AM »
Remakes? I don't think so. I'm thinking it might be the announcement for a re-release of Gold and Silver for download on the DS, as the first two titles for the DS's portable Virtual Console.

*FACEPALM*

Why sell for $5 what you can sell for $35?

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2009, 09:58:40 AM »
Give me a Pokemon MMORPG.

Ew, no.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2009, 01:12:24 PM »

*FACEPALM*

Why sell for $5 what you can sell for $35?

Of course.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2009, 01:10:08 PM »
Mop it up, we get it. You have a irrational hatred for Pokemon (and that you don't understand what a re-make it either). Re-making the best Pokemon games and 2 of the greatest handheld games ever is a GOOD thing.

I put over 500 hours into Silver (and over 800 into Crystal. I can't wait for these to come out, I hope they put in all the improvements they made with Crystal.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2009, 03:58:30 PM »
I like the 4 attack limit because it means you really have to plan your team.  However, I agree HMs would be better as non attack actions, and you can give a pokemon up to 2 of them.  Perhaps even limit it to one.

That would allow you to build your team as you like, AND be forced to have a good variety team for HMs. 

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2009, 11:55:02 PM »
I like the 4 attack limit because it means you really have to plan your team.
What kind of system I think could work is that each Pokémon is limited to "equiping" 4 of their learned moves for use in battle. This still has the layer of strategy that the 4-move limit adds, but it also allows Pokémon to keep all of their learned moves without having to go to the move-relearner or TMs. This would also allow for HMs to be learned without wasting a slot. There would be a limit on learned moves, though I'm not sure how many. 12 maybe?

you don't understand what a re-make is
I call the mainline Pokémon games "remakes" as a derogatory term. I've explained this multiple times now.

Re-making the best Pokemon games and 2 of the greatest handheld games ever is a GOOD thing.
Of course it is a good thing, if you are a money-grubbing corporation with no artistic integrity.

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2009, 03:38:47 AM »
I know it's just a remake, but I'm glad there's going to be a new edition of Gold and Silver. I tried picking up my old copy of Gold last year for fun, but I'm just too accustomed to the changes Ruby and Sapphire brought. It's been a long time since I played through Gold, and I don't think I played it as much as Red and Blue. Since I hardly remember anything in it, playing through the remake should be fun.
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2009, 03:59:09 AM »
I do agree that they did streamline a lot of the computer/box processes in the later games so that is a positive thing. I remember having to go through a save sequence every time you wanted to view a new PC Box. Sheesh that was a pain.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2009, 04:22:31 AM »
I remember having to go through a save sequence every time you wanted to view a new PC Box. Sheesh that was a pain.
That never made sense to me.

At this point, a lot of the batteries in Gold/Silver/Crystal cartridges have gone dead due to the internal clock sapping all of its juice. I imagine these remakes are going to use the DS's internal clock rather than having their own since a battery won't fit inside of a DS game card, so this problem won't occur in five or so years later.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2009, 11:40:41 PM »

I agree with being frustrated with HMs. I refuse to use any of the weak HMs on my main team with the exception of Fly and Surf. It seems that every game adds some new HMs and they just detract from the experience for me. Defog, Rock Climb, Rock Smash, Strength, Waterfall, Surf, Fly, Cut and Whirlpool. Yikes! Maybe they could allow you to teach HM moves aside from your four regular moves and only allow them to be used outside of battle.

You forgot Flash and Dive. 

Defog is the worst by far because the game just loves throwing random fog at you, and the usual HM slave can't learn it since it's not a flying type.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Rice768

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2009, 11:12:43 PM »
Is there an HM whirlpool here in this game .,? I really want to know.,

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2009, 11:45:26 PM »

No, whirlpool was not in Gold, Silver or Crystal. It came in the Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald games.

Also, it says you just joined our forums, so welcome to the jungle!
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2009, 01:16:42 AM »
No, whirlpool was not in Gold, Silver or Crystal. It came in the Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald games.
Um, hate to be a spot on the rug, but Whirlpool is definitely an HM in Silver/Gold/Crystal! You need it in order to reach the Whirl Islands!

I don't even like the games and I know that...

EDIT: You also fell victim to a SpamBot! Double phail! :P