Author Topic: Does the DS not have enough drama?  (Read 8434 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Does the DS not have enough drama?
« on: December 04, 2007, 05:02:10 AM »
I notice that the Handheld Discussion section only gets a fraction of the posts the Console Discussion section does. I think it's because there is no drama or tension surrounding the DS. We know it's #1, the PSP doesn't challenge it anymore. We aren't suprised when it gets a game franchise, and we aren't amazed when it sells millions. I know we all have a DS that games are bought for, but people just seem to do their portable gaming and not talk about it.

you thought I was talking about storyline drama in DS games, didn't you?

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
RE: Does the DS not have enough drama?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 05:36:16 AM »
I think this is a result of the DS not really getting the main sequels of big franchises and the fact that DS games are more pick up and play, throw away type games. As a result, people on a whole care much less about discussing the handheld titles and their impact in gaming. At least that's how I feel about it.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Does the DS not have enough drama?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 07:01:56 AM »
The NDS needs "Drama Teach" the game.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 07:18:11 AM »
I noticed that back before this site changed its name and structure, there was a new "Wii Forum" created and at first it was empty, but I was shocked and baffled to see that the post counts in that forum rose at an alarming rate and even before the Wii was actually released it had more posts in its forum than the DS had (despite being in existence longer). Of course, the structure has been changed now so you can't see that anymore. But why is that? Did posters abandon the DS as soon as they seen Nintendo had a new shiny toy on the horizon?
is your sanity...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 07:27:22 AM »
Keep in mind that Ty combined the Wii and GameCube threads (and the DS and GBA threads) so you can't really trust the topic counts on the main page.

There are 40 pages worth of posts in the Nintendo Console forum and 13 pages worth of posts in the Nintendo Handheld forum this year (assuming 20 topics per page).  That's a 3:1 ratio.  If you just compare topics (5,604 vs. 1,706) you get a 3.3:1 ratio.  I suppose in hindsight it's not that big of a deal, but I already wrote this post.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 10:01:17 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu
Keep in mind that Ty combined the Wii and GameCube threads (and the DS and GBA threads) so you can't really trust the topic counts on the main page.

There are 40 pages worth of posts in the Nintendo Console forum and 13 pages worth of posts in the Nintendo Handheld forum this year (assuming 20 topics per page).  That's a 3:1 ratio.  If you just compare topics (5,604 vs. 1,706) you get a 3.3:1 ratio.  I suppose in hindsight it's not that big of a deal, but I already wrote this post.

I meant the Wii forum had grown bigger than the DS forum even before it merged with the Gamecube forum, and I remember this happened even before the Wii was launched.

I guess it is kinda understandable, because a lot of posts were spent on speculation and so on... but why didn't the DS get this much attention before its launch? It was just as revolutionary in its own way.
is your sanity...

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 01:25:18 PM »
People don't like talking about actual videogames.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 02:13:56 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario
People don't like talking about actual videogames.
NWR Forums' #1 Problem.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 03:07:08 PM »
If you want drama, i hear Spung is about 5US on ebay

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 05:36:45 PM »
Honestly, I think it might be the fact that there isn't really a lot of interesting games coming out on the DS of late. After the explosion that was Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, what other games have created as much discussion? What other games are coming out that people are getting anticipated about or speculating on? Not much.

In the past, there was lots to talk about. Internet competition for the first time, Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing, then New Super Mario Bros. and Brain Age. There was also Metroid Prime Hunters. Elite Beat Agents had a lot of buzz. Earlier this year was the Pokemon Diamond and Pearl explosion of news and discussion.

But lately, there's been a lot of busts too. Yoshi's Island DS didn't seem to impress the majority of players. Wario: Master of Disguise and Kirby: Squeak Squad also disappointed. Brain Age 2 is good but it didn't create a huge sensation like when the first Brain Age came out or Nintendogs. Mario Party DS could have been big if it had included internet play. Once I found out that feature wasn't in the game, I lost my interest completely.

Also, the most interesting titles are coming out on the consoles. Not just Mario Galaxy or upcoming games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros. but also intrigueing titles to take a chance on like Zach and Wiki, NiGHTS, No More Heroes, Mario and Sonic Olympics, and Wii Fit.

Looking at the DS, the most interesting titles coming out in the next few months are Professor Layton and Advance Wars 4. Not that they are weak titles but they don't cause much discussion. Even looking further in the year, the only two that grab my attention are Dragon Quest 9 and the Sonic RPG. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there are other titles I'm forgetting but going by memory, those are the biggest noteworthy games I can recall that are to come out.

I think the reason discussion is dying down is because the better games are coming out on Wii now. There hasn't been any real significant news on the DS front for awhile. And the DS is just getting flooded with crap games.  
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 05:53:49 PM »
I could make more DS threads if you want. =) Oh God could I make more DS threads! They'd be about really popular games too!

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 06:01:08 PM »
The DS is the fastest selling handheld of all-time with a great software tie-in ratio.. and yet third parties continue to ignore it. It's honestly a vendetta.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Infernal Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 08:14:53 PM »

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 08:26:18 PM »

Honestly, I think it might be the fact that there isn't really a lot of interesting games coming out on the DS of late. After the explosion that was Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, what other games have created as much discussion?

Race Driver: Create and Race and Sonic Rush Adventure are both amazing games. I don't even own Phantom Hourglass yet, I still haven't finished with Tingle. Of course, there are more interesting Wii titles out this year, but there's still plenty on DS. Maybe it's because you can't play console games and be on your PC at the same  time, so you can talk about them, while your DS could be on and you could be playing something right now on the side. I find it interesting though how every single DS game you brought up was a first party game, besides the ones coming out next year that people will probably brush to the side as a new Wario or Zelda launches with them.

Looking at the DS, the most interesting titles coming out in the next few months are Professor Layton and Advance Wars 4. Not that they are weak titles but they don't cause much discussion.

Exactly, this is the question. If great games dont cause much discussion then what does?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 05:17:05 PM »
I'm sure Sonic Rush Adventure is a good game. I plan to get it myself once the price goes down for it like every Sonic game. Seriously, just wait half a year to a year and you can get it anywhere for 19.99 or less. But like Brain Age 2, it seemed to get that same sort of vibe where it's a good game but it wasn't too different from the original and so people didn't talk about it too much.

And yes, I brought up mainly first party games but that's because Nintendo's the one that's really making the best games on the system. There are not a lot of 3rd party games to recommend. In fact, I went and took a look at the third party games I have for my DS. I've got 6 and they are:

Feel The Magic XX/XY
Zoo Keeper
Pac-Pix
Meteos
Trauma Center
Sonic Rush

Notice that most of them came out in the first year of the DS being on the market. Are there other third party games I'd get? Yes, Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime, Sonic Rush Adventure, Lost in Blue, Sim City, Contact, Cooking Mama, The Rub Rabbits, an upcoming Harvest Moon game and a few others but I won't keep listing everything. Again, only a couple have come out in the past year. Everything else is first year or second year. And I think that's another point. There seemed to be a lot more experimentation and fresh ideas when the DS first came out. So, even if a third party game wasn't the greatest, at least it could feel new or get a person to try it becuase it had a new concept or idea. But nowadays, it just seems like developers aren't really trying. They are just viewing the DS as a game boy with another screen to put a map on.

I just remember Jam Sessions. That also interests me and it's a new idea and use of the DS.

So, yes. I may pay more attention to Nintendo published games but that's just becuase there are more reasons to doing so.

As for your second point, it's not that great games can't cause great discussion, it's just that in the case of those two games, there isn't much to say at the moment. Professor Layton has been out for awhile in Japan and you can pretty much get any info you want about that game because of it. And as for Advance Wars, again, it's a not a game that causes a lot of discussion. The new artstyle and theme was interesting but in the end, it's still just moving modern weapons around on various maps. It's hard to discuss strategy when you don't know how the game actually plays or what kind of strategies can be implemented. I'm sure the Wi-Fi connection for the game will help cause some discussion as people play each other and discover things about the game. But in the end, it's just not a game that can really be talked about a lot before playing it.  
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 05:29:24 PM »

Originally posted by: Infernal Monkey

Why you do this?
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Infernal Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 05:50:58 PM »
Games on DS to discuss of course!

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 05:53:11 PM »
Don't test me man.  I have no ethics.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 06:30:37 PM »
What is this whole "American Girl" series? Is it a real vintage re-release of classic young girls stories or is it instead a completely fabricated ploy by some literary publisher to make us think we're buying into good 'ol americana?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 06:37:45 PM »
No idea! I'd like to know what sort of game it even is, I honestly can't even begin to imagine!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 07:08:13 PM »
I remember my sister was into the American Girl series back when she was a kid. There was a pioneer one, a world war 2 one, and an industrial revolution one? It was a book series but now I think it's a whole product line. American Girl Molly branded Athletes foot treatment.

Personally, I want to know about these Homie Rollers. Sup, Ese?

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2007, 07:37:54 PM »
American Girls has been a "brand" for over a decade.  My little sister used to get the catalog of American Girl products.  Dolls and books were the first things, but things like calendars to clothes were in it by the time she came into their marketing cross-hairs.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 02:14:54 AM »
Maybe some people don't own a DS?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2007, 09:55:28 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
I remember my sister was into the American Girl series back when she was a kid. There was a pioneer one, a world war 2 one, and an industrial revolution one? It was a book series but now I think it's a whole product line. American Girl Molly branded Athletes foot treatment.

wow... Now I'm not just curious, I NEED to know more... What sort of American Girl book/story/plot would fit into World War II?

Edit: Found her. Molly. Her dad's a doctor tending to soldiers on the front, her mother works at a local airplane factory, and there's an english girl staying with her to escape the bombing of london.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2007, 10:18:59 AM »
This entire thread is begging for a waive of title changes.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report