Author Topic: Gaming for $20  (Read 8693 times)

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming for $20
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 03:26:15 PM »
Level grinding is what makes and epic RPG so epic, it prolongs the game and if you are really into the game you don't wanna rush to the end.
How does running in a spot and repeatedly clobbering the most EXP giving monsters constitute "epic"?

Seriously.  What makes a game like DQVIII epic is the environment and story, not any grinding that may or may not occur.

I think in most well balanced modern RPGs, if you don't run to avoid fights, you should never have to do level grind.  However, if you run a lot to maximize your exploration time, you'll have to pay for it later by grinding a bit.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 03:36:40 PM »
Yeah, it's the reason I stopped playing FF10 (yes I know I told you that a thousand times already), a LOOOONG stretch of path with a high encounter frequency, at some point I was so annoyed by the always identical battles (since you can one-hit-kill most enemies in the game if you select the right attack) that I just ran from everything and of course was way too weak to face the boss after that (ended up so weak he could one-round-kill my whole party though I'm not sure how many levels I'd have needed to survive that considering how slowly you grow in that game). If you want your game to be a combat simulation, MAKE SURE THE COMBAT IS FUN!

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 05:23:39 PM »
I meant that it gets you more into the game, you spend more time playing it, you encounter more enemies and you get a better feel for the combat system. Maybe epic ws the wrong word, but grinding is a natural part of RPG's and the best RPG's seam to use this tactic.

Take Super Mario RPG, when you get to a Boss, the first two or three bosses if I remember correctly, if you run through and justf ace the guy right off, you will die. But if you take the time to beat every enemy in the level leading up to the boss, the fight will be a piece of cake. I know there are better RPG's but that one came to mind for some reason.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2008, 01:48:23 AM »
Just cleaning a level isn't realy grinding, grinding is when cleaning the level isn't enough and you have to run through a few more extra areas and fight until you gain more levels.

Paper Mario doesn't really have much grinding, for one the gains from levelups are fairly small and enemies drop in value very fast so you can't go more than a few levels over the intended level.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2008, 03:11:12 AM »
I saw Soul Calibur Legends for $20 at Hastings. I was tempted.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2008, 03:37:34 PM »
I never played Paper Mario so I don't know. I do know that in FF7 I couldn't get enough of the battles in the latter stages and it took a lot of grinding to beat those monsters what were they called the weapons or something?

I guess it is cuz I played a lot of D&D and we used to play to level up so we would do all kinds of crazy stuff just to try and get the DM to award us extra XP.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2008, 04:40:10 PM »
Aren't people who care about levelling despised in the P&P RPG world?

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2008, 11:12:21 PM »
I don't know I only played with my close friends. That was years ago, I was 12 I think. Now you're just being difficult.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2008, 10:24:55 PM »
I just saw that PAA Episode One is available for just ten bucks (half off) this weekend only at Steam.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!