Author Topic: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread  (Read 243793 times)

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2007, 10:55:50 AM »
Who says that wont be in it? They barely showed off anything for the game and said there will be multiple play control styles...

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2007, 11:00:47 AM »
Snaking killed the game for me.

I hated to constantly need to be mashing left/right in order to stay competitive.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2007, 11:21:24 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"I'm hoping they get rid of blue sparks period...Then we don't have to worry about snaking and we can focus on the old-fashioned awesomeness that was drifting around corners in the original Super Mario Kart!"

I agree.  Racing games should be about taking corners correctly, avoiding crashing, and in this case using items at the right time.  I don't really like the idea of having little tricks that give boosts for no reason.  I think Mario Kart should go the oldschool F-Zero route where you have so many boosts and get a new one after each lap.  Timing a boost adds a great deal of strategy and then there's no snaking.  Blue sparks tend to make it so that that whole point of the game is getting blue sparks.  Logically why do any racing games give you a boost for sliding?  It doesn't really seem to make a lot of sense.  It's not like in real life a car does that.  The reason to slide is supposed to be to maintain speed while turning not have your car get "magic speed".

This is reminding me of more "realistic" racing games like Project Gotham Racing, where every turn taken at normal speed results in a crash. I'm sorry, but that's the antithesis of fun. Frankly, if they improve the graphics from MKD, that's really all the upgrade I need. I think all the console Mario Kart's have been great. And the same people who're complaining about the boosts are the ones whining about getting hit by a blue shell when they "earned" the lead...I'm sorry, but that's Mario Kart, and if you don't like it, don't buy it; don't ask them to change the formula on your behalf.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2007, 11:21:54 AM »
In the original Super Mario Kart you'd spin out after sliding for too long, so there's a precedent.  Also, in Super Circuit, you'd get a boost after a long enough slide instead of the left/right silliness.  I don't like the left/right sparks thing because it's impossible to do it without taking the turn wider.  Double Dash opened my eyes when my copilot brought the blue sparks on a turn that usually killed me if I tried it alone.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2007, 11:29:01 AM »
"This is reminding me of more 'realistic' racing games like Project Gotham Racing, where every turn taken at normal speed results in a crash. I'm sorry, but that's the antithesis of fun."

So there's no middle ground between realism and blue sparks?  Why can't Mario Kart without snaking work without it becoming PGR?  To me f*cking around to exploit blue sparks the whole time or having no chance in hell of winning is the antithesis of fun.  Why can't the game just be a race without having to rely on some trick to do well?

The real issue is just making sure there isn't some annoying bullsh!t people can exploit to do well, particularly since this is an online game.  The purpose of games like Mario Kart and F-Zero isn't snaking.  They don't design the game that way, so they need to be real careful to avoid exploits like that.  

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2007, 11:48:52 AM »
I agree. And as I suggested, just award someone a boost the better they slide (for instance starting a slide early, so when you finally cut, it's right around the wall you are turning past ala SNES MK). You can't completely take it out becuase then the people that didn't exploit it will miss it.

A median can be found.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2007, 02:11:56 PM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear
I don't like the left/right sparks thing because it's impossible to do it without taking the turn wider.

Not entirely.. I hug the corner with power slides in MKDS all the time. Its really easy to get blue sparks with a dpad, i don't remember being able to hug corners as well in MK64 or double dash.

to spack:

to continue on our conversationin the other thread, here are some ideas i had about new ways to use items with the directional input method we discussed.

Starman: obviously you can't hold it like you would a shell but what if using left, right , or even down on the dpad causes a type of after burner/explosive type effect that fires in the direction you're holding down? you'd have to be in close proximity for it to hit though so timing is important.

Mushrooms: something similar but only with left/right direction. Instead of a shockwave it causes you to slam left or right as your boost kicks in. Think side swipes ala f-zero.

Blue Shells: hoping things go back to completely randomized items, i'm sick of only getting banana peels when i'm in the lead. Thats the only way this will work- hold down to drop it behind you and act as a remote mine

your shield idea is good, but they should also bring back being able to jump over items and other karts (MK64) with well timed hops. the feather can be brought back but they should have level designs that let you use it effectively for short cuts, the original didn't have that save for a corner or two in the Choco levels.

thats all for now i'll post more item ideas when i can think of them
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2007, 02:14:58 PM »
Talking about Blue Shells, I REALLY wish they'd go back to the N64 version that went along the ground...If you are in last place in a GP, a hell of a lot of good an item that only hurts the guy in the lead will do you... =|
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2007, 02:16:46 PM »
yes, ground blue shells = good.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2007, 02:38:41 PM »
Whatever happened to magikoopa? i remember seeing him in early footage of MK64 but i'm not sure if he made it into the game (japanese version)
*random thought about what new (to the kart series) characters they could add*

i want my koopa kids, mallow, geno, booster and valentina in this game!

and valentina better jiggle for nostalgias sake
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2007, 02:44:22 PM »
Hahaha old school pixilated jiggle jiggle ftw.

Magikoopa never made it to the final version of MK64 and according to Wikipedia was replaced with Donkey Kong.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2007, 03:12:20 PM »
Really? i thought i remembered reading somewhere he was in the japanese version.

oh well

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2007, 11:44:12 PM »
Why can't Nintendo just open this game up to all of their franchises much like Smash Bros. I'd much prefer to have it as just Nintendo Kart Racing with a load of new powerups and special abilities. I highly doubt this will happen, but I would imagine it opens up quite a few new possibilities for gameplay and would definitely spice up the concept as a whole.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2007, 11:49:05 PM »
Samus in a go kart? *blanches*
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2007, 02:29:53 AM »
Hmm, pretty sure I saw a remix of Yoshi Falls from MKS just after Reggie talks about the number of online players.  
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2007, 03:25:10 AM »

Originally posted by: blackfootsteps
Hmm, pretty sure I saw a remix of Yoshi Falls from MK: DS just after Reggie talks about the number of online players.

There was definitely a Yoshi Falls remix, I saw it as well. I'm hoping there is a huge collection of tracks from every Mario Kart thus far, including some of the excellent DS tracks.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2007, 04:36:46 AM »
Does snaking actually work in the GameCube and N64 games?  I remember trying to develop a snaking technique in MK64 way back in the day and having no luck at all...but I wasn't totally dedicated to the cause, because it seemed like too much work.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2007, 05:37:57 AM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
Does snaking actually work in the GameCube and N64 games?  I remember trying to develop a snaking technique in MK64 way back in the day and having no luck at all...but I wasn't totally dedicated to the cause, because it seemed like too much work.

Yeah it does, it's not too hard to do in MK: DD, definitely tougher to do in MK64. MK: DS was definitely the easiest to do it in though. It isn't very hard to do, but does take some time to master. To a certain extent it kills the game because people can't casually play it with someone who knows how to leverage the technique.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2007, 05:40:36 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Samus in a go kart? *blanches*

The funny thing would be Samus in a miniature, convertible version of her spaceship. Similar gags could be done for Captain Falcon and Fox. They'd be character-specific karts like in MKDS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2007, 06:19:47 AM »
As far as snaking goes, how about if there was an option to turn on a snaking meter. A meter that starts at green -> yellow -> orange -> red, and the closer you get to the end of red, the more likely you are to spin out. That way you can try to snake as much as you want, but if you don't give the meter time to cool back down to green you're eventually gonna spin out or not be able to boost around a turn when you really need it. I think that addresses everyone's concern and contains alot of strategy in how often and when you should use snaking.  

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2007, 06:25:51 AM »
I think I like that idea alot BNM, it would kind of get everyone on the snaking boat, but it would be controlled. The would add alot of strategy, and quite a bit of competition because it would even out the playing field.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2007, 06:34:15 AM »
Not bad!  The problem does need to be addressed before doing another online MK, I'd say.

I like Wario's new Kart.  I recall complaining a lot about the designs of some of the Karts in Double Dash, and although there are still some goofy ones here, overall they look pretty cool and believable.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2007, 06:44:55 AM »
"Similar gags could be done for Captain Falcon and Fox."

I don't know if I would put Captain Falcon in a kart racing game.  It's kind of silly when he's already in a different racing game.  But then Sonic runs faster than everyone but he's driving a kart in Sonic Drift.

The Mario universe has a LOT of characters.  If they put in the effort they could probably have tons of characters and without dumb stuff like Baby Mario coexisting with adult Mario.  What about Charging Chuck or the Koopa Kids or Wart?  There are tons of characters they're just sitting on.

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2007, 06:49:55 AM »
I was just giving a couple examples of Smash Bros characters.

I agree that there are plenty of Mario characters to go around. The Koopa Kids would be perfect in Mario Kart. I have no problem with Baby Mario, the Mario Sports games don't need to make any sense as long as they're fun.  

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2007, 08:37:25 AM »

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack

Originally posted by: blackfootsteps
Hmm, pretty sure I saw a remix of Yoshi Falls from MK: DS just after Reggie talks about the number of online players.

There was definitely a Yoshi Falls remix, I saw it as well. I'm hoping there is a huge collection of tracks from every Mario Kart thus far, including some of the excellent DS tracks.

didn't anyone else notice the adorable cows from Moo Moo farm on a new track? am i the only one who cares?!?

i feel like i'm taking crazy pills!
sorry i'm watching zoolander