Author Topic: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread  (Read 243795 times)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE:Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2007, 09:21:22 AM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear
Motion controls will probably demand a change to the way one brings the blue sparks.  I'm hoping so, anyway.

I'm hoping they get rid of blue sparks period...Then we don't have to worry about snaking and we can focus on the old-fashioned awesomeness that was drifting around corners in the original Super Mario Kart!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2007, 09:23:57 AM »
Snaking is killing MK, yeah...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2007, 09:28:36 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Snaking is killing MK, yeah...

I'm a snaker, but I wouldn't mind Nintendo including a toggle on power sliding. For those that want to play with it let them, those that don't, just turn off power sliding.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2007, 09:33:35 AM »
I LOVE power sliding it was one of my favorite aspects of Mario Kart 64.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2007, 09:37:43 AM »
Same here. I don't understand all the hateration around here.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2007, 09:44:41 AM »
Because snaking breaks multiplayer, making it not fun?

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2007, 09:45:43 AM »
How does it break it? When I get together with friends or my cousins for the holidays no one has a problem with it during multiplayer.

Unless there is a way to exploit with it that I'm not aware of?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2007, 09:47:10 AM »
Yes, it's called snaking...You powerslide back and forth on straight-aways, gaining the distance at a much faster pace than if you are not...

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2007, 09:48:14 AM »
Oh we typically only use it on turns for boosts around corners, never really done it through a whole track. I can see how that would be lame.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2007, 09:51:16 AM »
Yes, and it's never a problem when playing with friends because you can just beat the hell out of them...You can't do that when playing people online...

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2007, 09:52:19 AM »
Lol though arguably you can use the same technique yourself and gain the same advantage sooo....

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2007, 09:54:42 AM »
But that isn't fun!  I want to concentrate on the track and item placement, not mashing my thumbs back and forth to try and catch up to some jerkface... ;_;

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2007, 09:56:00 AM »
It's all part of the skill bwahaha ~_^

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2007, 10:01:17 AM »
I see....

I also never cared to use such a trick. I just use it during turns (even if the turn is gigantic; see: Wario Stadium).
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline WalkingTheCow

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2007, 10:02:21 AM »
What would be preferable for me is if they could somehow limit the powerslide's usefulness to turns and corners only.

I like the powerslide in general, but I agree with Bill that it's annoying when it's being done through the whole track and ultimately a lot less fun.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2007, 10:05:07 AM »
It could be done, there could be "power strip" portions of turns where it will give players time to execute a 'snake' boost while on it.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2007, 10:07:33 AM »
Easycure and I have been talking in the rumor thread how to change Mario Kart.

1)Make it more item based racing.  With additional Item strategies and management.  This can be done by letting the D-Pad shot items left, right, back and forward...and even do the classic hold in one place.

2)Revamp the slide manuever.  Snaking is annoying. But why not have a meter or even Spark indication that pops up when you begin to slide to get that extra boost.  If you try to get too long of a boost or Slide too often you will spin out.  This reward/risk system will make power slides more skill based.  You can even balance it out by making the boost you receive more powerful.  

3)Split second break Shield.  Remember in the 64 Mario Kart where you can hit the brake and recover from a banana peel slide.  This mechanic needs to make a return...but be useful with almost all items.  A split second shield or block that occurs with braking will actually give Mario Kart players a reason to use the brakes.

4)Online battle mode and races.  This is obvious...but with the above mentioned mechanics Battle Mode can truly become a game of skill.

5)More interactive levels.  This is also self explainitory.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
The snake boost won't work anyway for this game. It's too complicated, wildly shaking the wheel back in forth.

The should just reward a great slide with boost like Burnout. The longer you can make the slide the more boost you receive.
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2007, 10:14:02 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
Easycure and I have been talking in the rumor thread how to change Mario Kart.

1)Make it more item based racing.  With additional Item strategies and management.  This can be done by letting the D-Pad shot items left, right, back and forward...and even do the classic hold in one place.

2)Revamp the slide manuever.  Snaking is annoying. But why not have a meter or even Spark indication that pops up when you begin to slide to get that extra boost.  If you try to get too long of a boost or Slide too often you will spin out.  This reward/risk system will make power slides more skill based.  You can even balance it out by making the boost you receive more powerful.  

3)Split second break Shield.  Remember in the 64 Mario Kart where you can hit the brake and recover from a banana peel slide.  This mechanic needs to make a return...but be useful with almost all items.  A split second shield or block that occurs with braking will actually give Mario Kart players a reason to use the brakes.

4)Online battle mode and races.  This is obvious...but with the above mentioned mechanics Battle Mode can truly become a game of skill.

5)More interactive levels.  This is also self explainitory.

I like your suggestions. Can I subscribe to a news letter ?

But seriously good suggestions =)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2007, 10:15:51 AM »
I'd support the reward/risk system for power-sliding...

I'm personally still holding out for Ninty to FINALLY bring back the feather...

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2007, 10:20:03 AM »
only thing wrong with mario kart is the generic tracks, they just need to recreate the levels the way smash bros has done. eg, instead of just labeling a snowy mountain level as DK MOUNTAIN TRACK throw in some vultures to swoop down and harass the player, or have KRUSHA wander around and smash stuff up and then throw his head back and go HUHUHUH!
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2007, 10:40:45 AM »
I'm sort of worried about who are these "more characters."  I can think of Goombas, Magician Koopas, Maybe some of the Paper Gang, Pauline, Pete etc, but I think they may be from other series.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2007, 10:42:21 AM »
"I'm hoping they get rid of blue sparks period...Then we don't have to worry about snaking and we can focus on the old-fashioned awesomeness that was drifting around corners in the original Super Mario Kart!"

I agree.  Racing games should be about taking corners correctly, avoiding crashing, and in this case using items at the right time.  I don't really like the idea of having little tricks that give boosts for no reason.  I think Mario Kart should go the oldschool F-Zero route where you have so many boosts and get a new one after each lap.  Timing a boost adds a great deal of strategy and then there's no snaking.  Blue sparks tend to make it so that that whole point of the game is getting blue sparks.  Logically why do any racing games give you a boost for sliding?  It doesn't really seem to make a lot of sense.  It's not like in real life a car does that.  The reason to slide is supposed to be to maintain speed while turning not have your car get "magic speed".

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2007, 10:44:10 AM »
Because clearly...Mario Kart is designed around logic and real life physics =P

Offline The Traveller

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2007, 10:53:22 AM »
Im not really excited about MK.. I wanted it to use the nunchuk so that they can come up with new creative ways for item usage. EG - Some items let you use the pointer for more precise aiming, or flicking it forward for a fast item throw or flicking overhead to lob etc.