Author Topic: Graphics of GBA  (Read 4956 times)

Offline StRaNgE

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Graphics of GBA
« on: March 06, 2003, 04:49:59 PM »
so i noticed some games on the GBA are quite impressive now compared to what they used to be,  i saw some game called kong  that looked rather boring but the graphics were quite well put together, as well as tony hawk skaters camera angle is quite impressive.
i know there are  a ton of side scrolling games with minimal graphics as well but i am curious which games push the limits of the GBA  graphically at least?

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Graphics of GBA
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2003, 06:38:30 PM »
There still isn't a game quite as impressive graphically as Golden Sun.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Sean

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Graphics of GBA
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2003, 06:59:00 PM »
I hear Rayman 3 is pretty stunning, and I like what I've seen of Castlevania: HOD, but it's true, Golden Sun was one heck of a stunner, and it's still shocking that it came out so early in the system's life.  Those battle sequences were terrific, and even the music was gorgeous, composition- and sample-wise.  Wonderful game.  Mr. Berghammer's impressions of the sequel have me a little discouraged, though, I admit.  Still looking forward to it, especially since I play the GameBoy completely opposite of many others in that I play it like my consoles and not usually on the go.  However, it's been well used at work, too!  ;-)
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
Graphics of GBA
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2003, 05:19:44 AM »
As far as sprites go, MarioKart: Super Circuit pulls off some nice ones.  The game is very easy to look at while playing, and at times as fun as its 64 counterpart.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline AdvancedGamer

• View Profile
Graphics of GBA
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2003, 01:28:37 PM »
Yoshi's Island is simply amazing I was skeptical about getting the game but I'm really glad I did. The graphics are sooooo great. Also Rayman Advance has really good graphics and so does Metroid Fusion
Video Games-
Why waste good technology on medicine and science?

Now Playing: Zelda: TP (GC)
Mario Kart (DS)
NSMB (DS)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Graphics of GBA
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2003, 01:45:12 PM »
Well a lot of GBA games are SNES ports which generally aren't going to look as good as brand new GBA games.  So generally I find that there's a big graphic quality gap between some of the major GBA titles because of the port/new ratio.

Golden Sun is easily the best though Golden Sun: The Lost Age I imagine will top it (because, you know, it's the sequel).  Other than that I think Metroid Fusion looks great.  It's no Golden Sun but it just smokes Super Metroid.  It's the first 2D Metroid game that has environments that actually look like something instead of a generic underground level.

Generally all of Nintendo original GBA games (except Pokemon) look great.

Offline Nintega

• View Profile
Graphics of GBA
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2003, 04:07:48 PM »
I've played Rayman 3 and it is beautiful.  Very colorful.  But I have to go with everyone else and agree Golden Sun is the best graphically.  I'd also like to point out Zelda The Four Swords looks real good.  I expect the next GBA Zelda to look like that.  Maybe the next Mario Advance might surprise us.

Offline WaReW0Lf

• View Profile
Graphics of GBA
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2003, 10:39:47 PM »
I really think GBA is the best console of all time. To some this may sound strange but to me snes was the best gaming console then came GBA which has better graphics, more games, snes games and its extremly portable. I really love my GBA but their is a lack of adictive titles like the original gameboy had. Maby its cause im getting older but the "new" gba games (not snes ports) arent ussually that good with exeption of a few. But I think the GBA has great graphics, i hope 2d games dont die out because they started gaming for us all.
Current Games Owned:

- Rouge Squadren 2
- Mario Sunshine
- Starfox Adventures
- Eternal Darkness
- Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcasr
- Spiderman: The Movie

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Graphics of GBA
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2003, 12:53:56 PM »
What is the resolution of the GBA's screen?  It looks rather lo-res in the screenshots.

Offline WaReW0Lf

• View Profile
Graphics of GBA
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2003, 05:46:52 PM »
• 2.9” (73mm) TFT reflective screen
• 240 x 160 resolution
• 65,535 possible colours
• 511 simultaneous colours in character mode: 32,768 simultaneous colours in bitmap mode  
Current Games Owned:

- Rouge Squadren 2
- Mario Sunshine
- Starfox Adventures
- Eternal Darkness
- Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcasr
- Spiderman: The Movie

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
Graphics of GBA
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2003, 07:50:54 PM »
How did you manage to post that many times Aveng? Haven't you seen a GBA before?  
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!