Author Topic: No More Heroes for Wii!!!!  (Read 150020 times)

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
Re: No More Heroes for Wii!!!!
« Reply #800 on: January 12, 2009, 05:59:18 AM »
IceCold is the new Evan.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: January 12, 2009, 07:03:57 AM »
Pro, I think you misunderstood what I meant by "put off". I wasn't offended - we've all seen worse than NMH - I'm simply stating that I don't find such blatant puerility entertaining. I can understand why it would appeal to people who like "Wanted" and Mike Myers movies, among others. Unfortunately, I'm not among those people.

This is what's called crossing the line of opinion and extending into really stupid generalizations...You must not be very good at getting gifts...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: January 12, 2009, 07:11:14 AM »
God, now you guys are hating on Mike Myers.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #803 on: January 12, 2009, 12:44:07 PM »
Pro, I think you misunderstood what I meant by "put off". I wasn't offended - we've all seen worse than NMH - I'm simply stating that I don't find such blatant puerility entertaining. I can understand why it would appeal to people who like "Wanted" and Mike Myers movies, among others. Unfortunately, I'm not among those people.

As for the cultural references, there's no chance I caught all of the ones you mentioned. But in the grand scheme of things, these references mean little to what I'm trying to say.

Yes, this is clearer.

"I'm simply stating that I don't find such blatant puerility entertaining."

An unfortunate generalization.  I have the idea that your preferences cut you off before you get to identify with the geek factor driving the game's contents.  I guess there really is too much of it in one place for your to digest.

I wasn't clear myself, but it's the swearing/violence/sex that ARE a good portion of the entertainment culture being referenced.  It's in-line with the quirky (niche) content packed into Kill Bill--don't tell me you have issues with these movies as well.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: January 12, 2009, 01:26:52 PM »
IceCold is the new Evan.

Any game that isn't F-Zero GX and/or Jungle Beat might as well not exist in his book
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #805 on: January 12, 2009, 02:15:32 PM »
NWR swoops in like vultures, as usual.

KAWWW KAWWW KAWWW!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: January 12, 2009, 02:47:54 PM »
NWR swoops in like vultures, as usual.

KAWWW KAWWW KAWWW!

You just couldn't resist breaking your chain of serious posts could you?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: January 12, 2009, 04:39:50 PM »
So I finally got around to finishing my second playthrough.  I've just got the first rank battle and of course the final SURPRISE battle left.  This is one of those games that was really easy to get back into.  I think it also helped that my first boss was Letz Shake, which helped me get into the groove a little bit, ha.  But yeah, I totally love this game.  It's got some flaws, but I can see past all of them because it's just so much fun.

As for all this talk of puerility, did you know anything about this game before playing it, IceCold?  Before I played, I knew all about the toilet saving and the masturbatory recharging animation.  And the game truly is a satire.  You don't really get any of the game's story until the very, very end, and at that point you can see that the whole thing is just making fun of gamers.  (And for the record, I flove this game, and I hated "Wanted."  Hands down, worst movie I've ever seen in a theater.  I was so tempted to leave after 30 min and get my money back.)

My hope for NMH2: make a game like Shadow of the Colossus - just a bunch of boss battles with no filler.  No stupid jobs in between.  Some of them were fun the first time, but I just want to get to the assassins, especially on my second playthrough.  It's okay to have the levels before the bosses, because some of them were really inventive, but don't rely on players killing hundreds of generic enemies behind the Thunder Ryu building just to make some money to get there.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: January 12, 2009, 04:43:46 PM »
My hope for NMH2: make a game like Shadow of the Colossus - just a bunch of boss battles with no filler.  No stupid jobs in between.  Some of them were fun the first time, but I just want to get to the assassins, especially on my second playthrough.  It's okay to have the levels before the bosses, because some of them were really inventive, but don't rely on players killing hundreds of generic enemies behind the Thunder Ryu building just to make some money to get there.

Maybe the attempt at "satire" went a little too far in this respect, huh?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #809 on: January 12, 2009, 04:45:45 PM »
The fastest way I made money was to kill that one group leader in the parking garage in 5 seconds or less for $80,000 or so...

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: January 12, 2009, 06:49:13 PM »

Maybe the attempt at "satire" went a little too far in this respect, huh?

I don't think it was satire, I just think it was a poor design choice.  The whole get-a-job-to-unlock-assassination-missions thing was just a way to extend playtime.  You potentially have to kill thousands of enemies in this game just to get the money for the bosses, unless you don't want to buy any weapon upgrades or clothes or anything else.  Same thing with the open world.  It was a poor design choice that couldn't be implemented properly for whatever reason.

I think the whole satire point only needs to be proven by one thing.  By covering up a major twist with double speed voice playback (ie- Jeane's revelation about being Travis's sister), Suda knew that some sad gamer was going to record that footage, slow it down in a video program, then post it on YouTube for everyone to see. He knew that someone would care enough (or be desperate enough) to do that.  I know that when I went looking for it on YouTube, there were at least 5 different versions of that speech.  Success.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: January 13, 2009, 12:50:06 AM »
IceCold is the new Evan.
Oh God.. after I spent hours arguing with him?! :P

This is what's called crossing the line of opinion and extending into really stupid generalizations...You must not be very good at getting gifts...
Obviously what I said was half in jest. But you can't deny that the violence and humour in NMH is clearly along the lines of the movies I mentioned.

As for the cultural references, there's no chance I caught all of the ones you mentioned. But in the grand scheme of things, these references mean little to what I'm trying to say.

Yes, this is clearer.

"I'm simply stating that I don't find such blatant puerility entertaining."

An unfortunate generalization.  I have the idea that your preferences cut you off before you get to identify with the geek factor driving the game's contents.  I guess there really is too much of it in one place for your to digest.

I wasn't clear myself, but it's the swearing/violence/sex that ARE a good portion of the entertainment culture being referenced.  It's in-line with the quirky (niche) content packed into Kill Bill--don't tell me you have issues with these movies as well.
Thanks for the polite reply - after re-reading my posts I can see how they could easily provoke a negative reaction. You may be right about the preferences. I have a question - I can see myself liking something like NMH but more surreal and with a more serious atmosphere. Is killer7 like this at all (haven't played it yet)?

As for all this talk of puerility, did you know anything about this game before playing it, IceCold?  Before I played, I knew all about the toilet saving and the masturbatory recharging animation.  And the game truly is a satire.  You don't really get any of the game's story until the very, very end, and at that point you can see that the whole thing is just making fun of gamers.  (And for the record, I flove this game, and I hated "Wanted."  Hands down, worst movie I've ever seen in a theater.  I was so tempted to leave after 30 min and get my money back.)

I knew vaguely of it - mostly from forum impressions. Wasn't quite expecting what I got. Also, I haven't finished the game - maybe my perspective will change when I do. The boss battles are a compelling enough reason to go through the game, but honestly, nearly everything else is a drag.

IceCold is the new Evan.

Any game that isn't F-Zero GX and/or Jungle Beat might as well not exist in his book

Is that really all you think of when you see my name? :P
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: January 13, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
IceCold is the new Evan.

Is that really all you think of when you see my name? :P

Since I don't see you post as much as when I started posting here, and not nearly as much as when I was just a lurker... so yes :)
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #813 on: January 14, 2009, 05:17:26 PM »
"I have a question - I can see myself liking something like NMH but more surreal and with a more serious atmosphere. Is killer7 like this at all (haven't played it yet)?"

I'll try to describe it.  Please avoid reading Wikipedia cuz it spoils the game's mysteries immediately.

killer7 is on the same weirdo spectrum opposite of NMH.  Whereas NMH is a "flashy" and "in your face" action title, killer7 is a "moody" and "in your head" adventure title.  The story was developed by Suda and Shinji Mikami, and the game has a considerably darker, more serious tone than NMH.  k7 goes for the bizarre in the creepy/unsettling/disturbing sense.  Being an adventure title, the presence of the story is much thicker here as well.  Myself and others here fell in love with the story (rare occurrence) because it lacks the lame MGS-style drama about "beliefs", "emotions", "motivation", "doing the right thing", etc., so in effect we ended up taking it seriously cuz it wasn't your everyday video game cheeze.  It was something... else.

I personally interpret the game as a remix of the classic Resident Evil mechanics.  k7 is 1) a light gun rail shooter and 2) an adventure game.  When you think of the actions in RE1, theres 1) 50% terrible walking and 2) 50% terrible aiming.  k7 shakes this by going 1) 10% oversimplified walking and 2) 90% reliable first-person free-aim.  Walking only involves pressing (A) to walk forward along whatever path you're on.  Branches are selectable plus there's a 180-degree turn.  When you get down to business you toggle into first-person rail shooter mode (like switching to bow & arrow mode in 3D Zelda at the press of a button).  Since you can walk back/forth, you essentially decide where to stop and do your target practicing.  The enemies (insane zombie things) act like rail shooter enemies in that you want to shoot them before they get too close, and aiming at weak points is emphasized (instant kills).  Don't let it cross your mind that you should dodge or run circles around an enemy--all the serious business is taken care of just fine in the first person mode (unless thou sucks).  The adventure portion is much like RE's, with more interesting Suda-brand visuals:  running into obscure puzzles, finding keys/switches, using your characters' special abilities, and picking up bits and pieces of story information.

Story?  Not like other cherished game stories.  *cough* Metal Gear Solid *vomit*
Cloned super soldiers fighting over giant robots?  give me a break.

Style over substance?  Definitely.  How much substance?  More than the classic Resident Evil titles.
You can aim at what you want, and you don't move like a blindfolded tank.  k7 is a smoother, more direct experience.

And as an extra remark, there's no illogical healing items/mechanics.  No herbs, rations, roast beef, or first aid kits.  Only blood.
It's one of the minor details illustrating killer7 isn't set in reality, it's set in un-reality.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 05:19:54 PM by NinGurl69 *huggles »

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 14, 2009, 07:32:37 PM »
Wow... Now i really wanna play K7!

I bought the game used some time ago, played it for about ten mins.. then played the other game i picked up that same day (cant remember what it was) and never went back to it... I'm a horrible gamer :(

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 14, 2009, 08:37:23 PM »
The gameplay of K7 is a big hurdle to get over, but it's worth it.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: January 14, 2009, 08:40:24 PM »
is this game around the 20 dollar price range now?
Who wants heroine brownies?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #817 on: January 14, 2009, 09:29:18 PM »
No More Heroes is $20 at most major stores.

Killer7 should be $10.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 14, 2009, 09:53:08 PM »
No More Heroes is $20 at most major stores.

Killer7 should be $10.

I got Killer7 for $8.99 ;)

The gameplay of K7 is a big hurdle to get over, but it's worth it.

Thats what kept me from playing it longer on my first time with the game. I was in the first level and got to some giant...thing with those zombie things coming out and couldnt shoot them for crap, died a few times and gave up just to play the other game i bought.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #819 on: January 14, 2009, 10:05:03 PM »
You forgot your adventure game thinking cap.

killer7 = burger

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #820 on: January 14, 2009, 10:17:13 PM »
If thats the case, to my defense i didn't know what to expect.

The main stuff i knew was that it was basically on rails, and had oldschool boss pattern learning battle things.