Author Topic: No More Heroes for Wii!!!!  (Read 150023 times)

Offline Terranigma Freak

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
No More Heroes for Wii!!!!
« on: November 29, 2006, 02:35:21 AM »

I wish the screen shots were clearer and larger. It still looks pretty nice... I think.  

From IGN

November 29, 2006 - Say goodbye to Heroes and hello to No More Heroes. Only in a world where something named Wii is the hot toy for Christmas could that sentence actually make sense.

The mysterious game that has been known for most of this year as Heroes now has a new name. The latest issue of Famitsu reveals that the all original Wii adventure game is now known as No More Heroes.

Heroes or No More Heroes, this game has gotten much of its hype due to its development background. Although Spike is set to publish the game in Japan, the title is being developed by Grasshopper Manufacturer and directed by Goichi Suda. You may remember these names from Capcom's stylish Killer 7. Other talent includes Shigeto Koyama, of Eureka Seven and Top wo Nerae 2! fame, who's in charge of weapon and vehicle design, and character designer Yusuke Kozaki, known for his work on Speed Grapher.

Famitsu has first details on the game. In No More Heroes, you play as Travis Touchdown, a geek who wins a Beam Katana (a weapon that resembles a Light Saber) through an online auction and uses the weapon to start a new career as a professional killer. One day, an assassin named Helter Skelter appears before Travis and the two face off in a battle. Travis emerges victorious and finds himself in the presence of Silvia Christel, a French chick who claims to be an agent with the UAA (we're not entirely sure, but this appears to stand for United Assassins Association). Silvia gives Travis official rank of 11 in the organization.

No More Heroes takes place in the city of Santa Destroy, which is designed to look like a big city in the Western United States. You're free to explore the town to your liking, taking on missions large and small to collect money and purchase new weapons, although the game's storyline progresses only when you take on big killing jobs from the UAA. Your day begins in your motel room, where you change your clothes and get ready for a day out on the town. You can walk around town if you like, or you can speed around on your futuristic Schpeltiger motor bike.

Travis's clothing has special signifinace in the game. Travis is a big anime geek, so his shirts tend to sport anime-style witch characters. You'll also find wrestler and fighter designs. Grasshopper drafted Okama, the character designer for the opening of the recent Japanese television hit Densha Otoko, to create over 100 t-shirt designs.

T-shirts aside, No More Heroes is all about using your Beam Katana to defeat enemies. When fighting, you position the Wiimote facing up, centered, or facing down in order to move Travis into one of three fighting positions. To perform standard attacks, you repeatedly press the A button.

The game makes more direct use of the controller in some situations. When performing finishing moves, you're required to swing the controller in accordance with on-screen prompts. You're also required to shake the controller to power up your Beam Katana's energy meter.

In addition to basic foes, you'll also find bigger rivals. Travis wants to be the number one killer, and in order to do that, he'll have to defeat the remaining ten killers that rank above him. Only one rival has been introduced so far. Shinobu wears a short school girl outfit and attends Santa Destroy high school, but one look at her katana will convince you that she's earned her rank of 8 in the UAA.

No More Heroes is listed in Famitsu as being just 35% complete, but with a Japanese release due for Summer 2007. Suda hopes to sell one million copies of the game worldwide, suggesting that an international version is in planning.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: No More Heroes for Wii!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 03:09:12 AM »
He wins the beam katana on an Ebay auction and decides to become a hit man?  Ha ha ha.  I may sound incredulous, and I am.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
RE:No More Heroes for Wii!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 03:27:25 AM »
The name change may have been to distinguish the "your fine words and shiny armour won't get you anywhere!" game from the "save the cheerleader; save the world" NBC TV series.

Then again, they didn't change Kevin Smith's name in Killer7, but supposedly they didn't know of the director/actor named Kevin Smith at the time.

What kind of a city name is "Santa Destroy"?  o_0

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 03:30:14 AM »
Terra, don't ever scare me like that again, I almost thought they weren't making the game anymore.

In the beginning, Killer7 was incredulous too.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 03:47:55 AM »
It's like Santa Cruz or Santa Barbara.  It means Saint I think but I wonder if the devs realize the double meaning?

St. Nick is the ultimate boss of the game!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline utarefsoN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 05:38:15 AM »
WHoa  scared the fock out of me. I thought the game was done for. Thanks for posting though.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 05:40:37 AM »
I like the new name better actually.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 05:43:33 AM »
2007 looks awesome.

2008 is completely empty and made of phail.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 05:47:44 AM »
Wait, so you have this beam katana... and you swing it by PRESSING A?
GOREGASM!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 06:42:53 AM »
This topic has a terrible title for those who didn't know about the name change yet.

It reads like the game got canceled and the OP is happy about it.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 06:47:09 AM »
That's the joke.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 07:00:53 AM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39
Wait, so you have this beam katana... and you swing it by PRESSING A?

Yeah, that's pretty much awful.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 07:11:38 AM »
Hey now, don't start bashing the controls like everyone did with killer7, distract yourself with some more Wii...gooooo, why are you still reading.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 07:11:39 AM »
Edit: Someone add a delete option in edit mode, please.

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 07:15:43 AM »
Well the thing is, they supposedly put this game on the Wii because the controller was so perfect for it.  What could they have been referring to if not the sword?
GOREGASM!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 07:17:29 AM »
So this Travis has dozens of different t-shirts just like the Travis in Killer 7?

Hmm....
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 07:34:54 AM »
The screens show a more colorful style than I was expecting. They are too small to really judge though.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 08:33:07 AM »
Thinking about the controls more after initially being disappointed I realize this could work.  The game only attacks when you press a but the real part of the game is moving the remote to the fighting positions.  Battles could cause you to move from one position to the next in rapid succession, emulating a sword.

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2006, 08:53:52 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale
This topic has a terrible title for those who didn't know about the name change yet.

To quote Travis Touchdown.

"Your shinning armor and fine words won't get you anywhere."

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 09:03:49 AM »
Hate the title of this thread. Like the new title of the game. Controls worry me. Still LOVE the visuals.

Semi-related query: Why aren't there more severely stylized games out there?  

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 09:29:20 AM »

Originally posted by: Terranigma Freak

Originally posted by: Pale

To quote Travis Touchdown.

"Your shinning armor and fine words won't get you anywhere."

I'm pretty sure he says "shining", and nothing about using his shins.  :P

Speaking of fine words, I wonder if the voice work is going to be improved.  Strangely, though, I liked the obnoxious Travis's voice in the original leaked trailer more than in the later officially released trailer which had only minor differences (voice, Helter Skelter's head).  Maybe I figured his character is supposed to be overly obnoxious.  Helter Skelter's voice could've been better for sure, though.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2006, 09:31:39 AM »
I like the story background =D

AUCTION GET!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2006, 10:20:55 AM »

Originally posted by: TrueNerd
Semi-related query: Why aren't there more severely stylized games out there?

Mainstream gets hardons for realism. ):
GOREGASM!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 10:27:40 AM »
Ahahahaha, this sounds fantastic!  The sandbox approach is interesting, but I hope it goes smoothly (and I want lots of fun and pointless unlockables!)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2006, 12:32:07 PM »
...No comments from Bill about the loli characters on his shirts?