Poll

Will Nintendo pull off another 30 for 30 in Japan sales this year and, if so, how many times?

Yes. 1 time.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 2 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 3 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 4 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 5 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 6 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 7 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 8 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 9 times.
2 (18.2%)
Ninten-domination! 10 times or more that the top 30 goes to Nintendo Software.
4 (36.4%)
No. It doesn't happen once this year. Sony plays spoiler.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM

Author Topic: Official Sales Thread  (Read 3165511 times)

Re: Official Sales Thread
« Reply #10100 on: January 27, 2015, 07:50:11 AM »
Hyrule Warriors: 1 million Units shipped WW!

http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201501270048/

I did my part. I was hoping this game would reach a million units.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10101 on: January 27, 2015, 08:32:53 AM »
There were many that said this would never happen. Was to niche of a game on a dead console.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #10102 on: January 27, 2015, 08:42:10 AM »
Part of it's the fact that there were like 7 Wii U games all of last year. N64 syndrome: you can play this or play nothing.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10103 on: January 27, 2015, 09:30:39 AM »
Part of it's the fact that there were like 7 Wii U games all of last year. N64 syndrome: you can play this or play nothing.

Even if the Wii U had more games Hyrule Warriors still would have reached a million anyway.  Zelda is still a major franchise in the West with a very dedicated audience.  If a million hardcore Zelda fans were willing to buy a prettier version of Wind Waker last year, then giving them a game that celebrates Zelda history and allows them to finally play as characters like Zelda and Gannondorf was always a guaranteed million seller.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #10104 on: January 27, 2015, 10:20:42 AM »
I may give the game a shot now that Tingle is playable.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #10105 on: January 27, 2015, 10:40:02 AM »
Get ready for Hyrule Warriors 2, Mario All-Star Musou and an entire Amiibo Based warriors game.

"Let's Franchising"

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #10106 on: January 27, 2015, 10:41:53 AM »
*shipped
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #10107 on: January 27, 2015, 11:53:43 AM »
Yeah. E.T: the video game shipped millions of units also.

TO THE DUMP!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10108 on: January 27, 2015, 12:20:20 PM »
Part of why I thought Hyrule Warriors would bomb is because the reputation of the Dynasty Warriors franchise is pretty poor.  I figured this was Koei swindling Nintendo by getting the Zelda franchise shoehorned into their lousy series.  I played it at my friend's house and it's not a bad game.  Like it isn't Zelda-good, and it would get old fast if Nintendo started cranking these out annually, but the gameplay simulates being part of a large battle quite well.  I was expecting it to be complete trash so I was quite surprised.  Now is it Nintendo's involvement that made it a better game or has the Dynasty Warriors franchise just gotten a raw deal from reviewers all these years?

Though I do think the N64 effect does help it.  It's not so amazing of a game that I think it would stand out in a large library but on the Wii U it's in the top ten for the year by default.  I did a quick check of what came out last year and J.P.'s figure of seven games is not far off.  I checked the top all-time list for the Wii U for 2014 on GameRankings.com.  Their list defaults to a 20 review minimum and only nine Wii U games for the entire year got enough reviews to make the list.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #10109 on: January 27, 2015, 12:24:12 PM »
To be fair to the system, there was a pretty decent amount of quality eShop games last year, which tend not to get as many reviews as the bigger, full retail titles and wouldn't be as likely to show up with that minimum.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

« Reply #10110 on: January 27, 2015, 03:04:20 PM »
alright you got me I haven't played the game yet. and its one of the games I bought a Wii U for, got it same day. Still glad it did well because only reason ain't played is gots no time.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10111 on: January 27, 2015, 04:22:16 PM »
It'll reach a million sold eventually.  I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo makes it a greatest hits game for $20-30 around the time Zelda Wii U is released along with Wind Waker HD.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10112 on: January 27, 2015, 05:07:12 PM »
Now is it Nintendo's involvement that made it a better game or has the Dynasty Warriors franchise just gotten a raw deal from reviewers all these years?
Probably a little of both really. I'm sure Nintendo required the game to have a certain level of polish before release, and the adventure mode thing seems like it may be something unique to this game. As far as reviews go though, it appears the main reason the games get low scores is that there are so many Warriors games and not much changes between them. So they tend to get low scores based on over-saturation, and it doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with each individual game. People just get tired of them. It's a similar case as the Mario Party series.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #10113 on: January 27, 2015, 06:16:19 PM »
Remember that Mr. Aonuma oversaw the design and Zelda implementation on Hyrule Warriors for QC purposes. I'm sure he was going to make it the best he could, since Zelda has been his baby since the late 90's.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10114 on: January 27, 2015, 06:26:58 PM »
Part of why I thought Hyrule Warriors would bomb is because the reputation of the Dynasty Warriors franchise is pretty poor.  I figured this was Koei swindling Nintendo by getting the Zelda franchise shoehorned into their lousy series.  I played it at my friend's house and it's not a bad game.  Like it isn't Zelda-good, and it would get old fast if Nintendo started cranking these out annually, but the gameplay simulates being part of a large battle quite well.  I was expecting it to be complete trash so I was quite surprised.  Now is it Nintendo's involvement that made it a better game or has the Dynasty Warriors franchise just gotten a raw deal from reviewers all these years?

Playing Hyrule Warriors (2014) is mostly the same to my time with the first Samurai Warriors (2004) and Dynasty Warriors 4 on PC (2005). So criticisms of repetitive action and franchise staleness are still very much valid. What feels different is the speed of the sprinting (especially now that I figured that you can hold the roll button to quickly transition in to sprinting), the large boss monsters, the ridiculous reach and variety of attacks, and the weak point smash. Hyrule Warriors is still Dynasty Warriors, but everything feels faster. Also, it doesn't hurt that the game looks quite nice for a Warriors game.

Imagining reviewing every Dynasty Warriors game and spin-off, I would probably grow a certain amount of disdain for the series. But playing one every 3-5 years? It's okay.

It's nice to see Hyrule Warriors ship 1 million units. I hope we never see one again. Or even a Fire Emblem Warriors, Super Mario Warriors, or Pokemon Warriors.

Online Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10115 on: January 27, 2015, 10:25:02 PM »
It's no doubt that Zelda had a huge part in the sales of Hyrule Warriors, but it also helps that the game does feel a bit more action oriented and that the base content of the game is sizable, but not super-bogged down by a lack of progression. The first thirty or forty levels of a warrior can feel like a bit I an uphill struggle, but the game does it's best to give you plenty of options. It does feel like the fastest and most free Warriors title I've ever played, freedom mostly coming from the Adventure maps.

Much like what was said prior, Warriors titles tend to lack a great deal of variety in terms of new mechanics and a different feel. I dedicated a whole podcast to discussing the flaws and the better parts of the series, and that's the general consensus- play a warriors game every three or four years and you'll have a great time.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #10116 on: January 27, 2015, 10:38:29 PM »
Ridley for Metroid Warriors.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #10117 on: January 27, 2015, 11:20:33 PM »
Much like what was said prior, Warriors titles tend to lack a great deal of variety in terms of new mechanics and a different feel. I dedicated a whole podcast to discussing the flaws and the better parts of the series, and that's the general consensus- play a warriors game every three or four years and you'll have a great time.

Yeah, I stopped playing Hyrule Warriors for this very reason.  I mean the main game was fun and I was enjoying Adventure mode but it eventually reached a point where the amount of grinding I had to do to try and fully level my characters ability as well as constantly having to redo different levels on Adventure mode to get the right items so I could unlock **** on other ones got ridicules.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10118 on: January 28, 2015, 03:12:43 AM »
NINTENDO QUARTERLY DOOM
Q3, FY ending in 2015

Consolidated Financial Highlights
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2015/150128e.pdf

Nintendo 3DS
-Hardware-

7.08 Million (LY: 11.65 M, LTD: 50.41 M)

3DS XL: 3.33 M (LTD: 18.98 M)
2DS: 1.49 M (LTD: 3.69 M)
New 3DS: 580k
New 3DS XL: 1.26 M

-Software-

53.04 Million (LY: 57.25 M, LTD: 215.96 M)
Attach rate: 4.284

Pokemon OR/AS: 9.35 million units
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS: 6.19 million units

Wii U
-Hardware-

3.03 Million (LY: 2.41 M, LTD: 9.20 M)

-Software-

20.59 Million (LY: 15.96 M, LTD: 52.87M)
Attach rate: 5.746

Mario Kart 8:  4.77 million units
Super Smash Bros for Wii U: 3.39 million units

-----

NET SALES: 442.9 billion yen (3.751 billion USD)
OPERATING INCOME: 31.6 billion yen (267.7 million USD)
ORDINARY INCOME: 92.3 billion yen (781.9 million USD)
NET INCOME: 59.5 billion yen (504.08 million USD)

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #10119 on: January 28, 2015, 08:01:10 AM »
I don't know if thats good or bad but I know that Smash is a beast among beast. Almost 10million copies in 3months.

« Reply #10120 on: January 28, 2015, 09:11:13 AM »
hardly, its not at all fair to combine sales of a handheld game with a console game. Its selling good on both platforms no need to exaggerate by combining the two into one title.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10121 on: January 28, 2015, 09:17:36 AM »
3DS Attach rate: 4.284
WiiU Attach rate: 5.746

This, to me, is the most interesting stat.  The Average WiiU gamer owns almost 2 more games than the Average 3DS gamer.  The question is how much does Nintendo make off of Game Licensing than it makes off of Hardware Sales?  I'm fairly sure 2 games would probably cover it.  In essence if you only bought 1 Nintendo system it be better for Nintendo if that System was the WiiU in the long ran rather than the 3DS most likely.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

« Reply #10122 on: January 28, 2015, 09:34:06 AM »
I think its more likely if you invested in a Wii U you want games to justify it, a 3DS, yeah there are games but chances are you have a some of them on a mobile platform also so most people are only buying the most dedicated exclusives for the handheld. Wii U also suffers from a lack of games so people tend to buy everything Nintendo puts out there in the hopes that will offset the lack everything else. eShop aside, there are only 2 1st party or Nintendo published games I know about on Wii U I don't own. I am not even dedicated to console I just got it mostly for Super Mario 3D, Captain Toad, and Spaltoon and a few others sprinkled here and there.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #10123 on: January 28, 2015, 09:35:40 AM »
Handhelds have historically had lower attachment rates then home consoles since handhelds generally appeal to kids and casuals more who traditionally buy less games.  Even with the Wii U selling much worse then the 3DS, the userbase for the Wii U is made up of hardcore Nintendo fans who're buying more games.  Same reason the Gamecube had a higher attachment rate then the GBA as well, despite there being a huge gap in sales for hardware as well.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #10124 on: January 28, 2015, 09:53:28 AM »
Well...at least that Wii U attach rate looks good.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV