Author Topic: Gettin' Cube...finally!  (Read 208935 times)

Offline yeg0

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Gettin' Cube...finally! (Official "What game should I get?" Thread)
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2003, 08:26:20 AM »
Metroid Prime
Time Splitters 2
Eternal Darkness
Super Smash Bros. Melee

And...of course... The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
-yeg0

"HENSHIN-A-GO-GO, BABY!"

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2003, 08:34:11 AM »

well personally i didnt like the "Fludd" (water gun). to me it was just a cheap gimick that was fun for about 5 minutes. also with mario 64 you had a tonne of variety in the levels, from winter, to under water, to lava, to desert, etc. etc.. in mario sunshine it's all set in a stupid tropical island with all these stupid people around selling fruit. everything was just so kiddish. the graphics are not up to par imo. mario 64 set the bar for what n64 games should loook like, mario sunshine simply does not do the same for cube.

Excactly, although it wasnt a bad game, just not what many expected. The FLUDD device made it too easy at some parts, the hovering just wasnt MARIOish. In Mario64 you had to be a very skilled jumper to get plattforms, this time you could correct any mistake you made.
Although there were some stages without the FLUDD (which were really great fun) but not enough. The story, the setting, the gameplay didnt feel MARIO enough. The levels were too sunny and partly quite similar. And what pissed me off most was the fact that there was NO LONGJUMP AND PUNCHES! One might argue that punches arent MARIO but for me they are because Mario 64 was my most played game.

So basically, definetely a very good game, but not good enough to forfill many of our desires. We were depleted from Mario for 6 years and then we get Sunshine, not enough IMO. I was so happy hearing about Mario 128.

Still very worth a purchase though, comes right after Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness and arguably Resident Evil(not IMO).
LZ 2005

Offline AManatee

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2003, 09:47:48 AM »
Damn, i'm a minority here. Sunshine was downright pretty, and a blast. All the negative talk about it made me not want to play it again... but the other day i was feelin' bored and popped it in. I forgot just have fun and beautiful the game is.

I think the only thing that turned most gamers off to it was the beginning... with the ugly FMV and teh disorienting beginning boss.

Trust me, once you get used to the game, and become good at teh controls... well, you love playing it... because you look so damn cool doin it. Heh.
"Gimme gimme gimme. I need, I need."

Offline CrYpTiC

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2003, 11:00:41 AM »
I didn't like Mario Sunshine because of the gameplay, graphics, and hype. Almost every review I read gave it a perfect score or 9.5 rating. The FLUUD thing was so lame, and since when does Mario go on a vacation? The talking was just horrible. Nintendo needs to bring back the Super Mario Brothers, Bowser, Magikoopa, and Toad!

Best Browser Available
http://www.mozilla.org
Download Phoenix today!
Screw IE!

Offline Gharakh

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2003, 11:01:09 AM »
i played it till i had about 45 shines then i just could not take it anymore.. i hated that game. i tried to like it, but just couldn't

Offline MarioFoxZelda

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2003, 11:41:03 AM »
I agree with all of you 110%. Mario sunshine was nothing Nintendo should be overly proud about. They took mario and fudged him over. I agree that punching is MARIOish. The game is fun when you first start playing it until about the 3rd or fourth level and thats where you just put it down and pop in Mario 64. And does anyone agree that the blue coin idea sucked. I hate searching for them more than anything in the game. Oh and also Bowser now has a voice and he has a son (I know he had kids in Mario Bros. 3 and everything but that was different) and its like a family and they are all loving to eachother. I wish they didn't give him a voice or at least not a voice that takes away from his evilness/ his overall character. Anyone agree?
what

Offline CrYpTiC

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2003, 12:06:03 PM »
I didn't play the whole game so I don't know everything, but was Bowser's son's the same as in the Mario Bros? Or was it 1 stupid lame son that Nintendo made up.
Best Browser Available
http://www.mozilla.org
Download Phoenix today!
Screw IE!

Offline MarioFoxZelda

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2003, 12:15:46 PM »
It was like Baby bowser from Mario Party games.* Beware Spoiler *He appears once you get to like pinna park shine 2 or 3. He is shadow mario.
what

Offline Gharakh

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2003, 01:02:26 PM »
yeah that whole shadow mario thing was f'ing lame too. did anyone else think he was incredibly easy to beat each time?  nothing like tryin to catch that bunny in mario 64! that slippery bugger!

Offline Calibretto

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2003, 03:13:16 PM »
Ok, to get back on track with the "Official 'What game should I get?' Thread," I just paid all my school debts for the semester, and I have enough money left over for one game.  Now, the trouble with my desicion is that I have all three consoles, so my choice of games is so broad I have trouble deciding.  However, the games I am interested in are Skies of Arcadia for the Cube, Dark Cloud 2 for PS2, and Splinter Cell for the Xbox.  My favorite of the three systems is the Cube, so I buy games for it more often, and I am leaning towards Skies of Arcadia, but still in the throwes of indesicion.  So, if anyone has anything to say about that game, or any of the others, let me know. I would especially like to hear from people who have played both Skies of Arcadia and Dark Cloud 2 about which they thought was a better RPG.  I must chose wisely, for this game I purcase now must fill the void between now and when my preordered copy of The Wind Waker arrives.
"This makes the master of the Gun-Katas an opponent not to be taken lightly..."

Offline Munky

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2003, 03:29:06 PM »
Splinter Cell on Xbox is a great game, but it does get boring after a while. But it's an excellent game. I would recommend your Cube choice, seeing as you said it was your favorite of the 3 consoles.
The memory of a lost loved one remains with you always, but it's a wound that time heals. It's like a scar....it never really disappears, time just soothes the memory.

ChaoticMunky.com

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2003, 04:41:52 PM »
Pikmin. it's genre expanding
will the real rodtod please stand up, please stand up, please stand u-[SMACK!]

Offline FM

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2003, 05:17:56 PM »
Yep. Pikmin's a lot of fun.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2003, 06:57:06 PM »
just an observation on the Mario Sunshine debate,  mario sunshine seems to be a bit like Mario 2, that wasn't really a follow on from Mario 1 and as such didn't sell nearly as well as 1 or 3.

i still like both games i have mario advance 2 on GBA, but dont own Sunshine yet (money get! soon, got a job now )

and isn't it that peach took him on a vacation for rescuing her? i played the game a bit on my friends cube

i would get skys of arcadia for Gamecube, wait a bit and get Splinter Cell for gamecube when it comes out (as its your favorite console)

Offline Christberg

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2003, 06:59:31 AM »

Originally posted by: Calibretto
Ok, to get back on track with the "Official 'What game should I get?' Thread," I just paid all my school debts for the semester, and I have enough money left over for one game.  Now, the trouble with my desicion is that I have all three consoles, so my choice of games is so broad I have trouble deciding.  However, the games I am interested in are Skies of Arcadia for the Cube, Dark Cloud 2 for PS2, and Splinter Cell for the Xbox.  My favorite of the three systems is the Cube, so I buy games for it more often, and I am leaning towards Skies of Arcadia, but still in the throwes of indesicion.  So, if anyone has anything to say about that game, or any of the others, let me know. I would especially like to hear from people who have played both Skies of Arcadia and Dark Cloud 2 about which they thought was a better RPG.  I must chose wisely, for this game I purcase now must fill the void between now and when my preordered copy of The Wind Waker arrives.

Well, I just got Dark Cloud 2 yesterday so I can't speak for it just yet.  I'll get back to you on that.  I can certainly say that it being 40 bucks is a great deal though.  Skies of Arcadia, on the other hand, is a solid port of a very, very good RPG so I definitely recommend it.  I'm already a good 30 hours into it and I certainly recommend it because it's really kept my attention well with interesting enemy designs and lots and lots and lots of action.  The boss fights really make this game.

Personally, I got Splinter Cell about a week ago for my Xbox and my final decision on it is that it suffers from an extreme case of "artificial difficulty-itis" that is really unforgivable and I wound up returning it.  It's a really pretty game and all, but there's frequent sections where you have to guess what to do, not figure out, but actually guess, and you die a ton of times because there's no way to actually figure out what to do except through trial and error.  It's on thing where a game is very, very hard but fair about it (Like Contra:Shattered Soldier)- I have no problem with that.  I do have a problem with having to guess what to do to complete an objective because the game doesn't give you enough information to do what you need to.  Splinter Cell does this.  A LOT.  To me that should never, ever happen.

Offline Calibretto

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2003, 07:29:43 AM »
Thanks to Munky, PIAC, and Christberg for their input.  With your guys help, I have decided on Skies of Arcadia.  I was really torn between it and Dark Cloud 2.  So I am going to get Skies of Arcadia, and slide Dark Cloud 2 on to the back burner for now and pick it up later.  I may rent Splinter cell one day just to try it out.  Many thanks for the input guys!

Offline Christberg

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2003, 07:47:41 AM »

Originally posted by: Calibretto
Thanks to Munky, PIAC, and Christberg for their input.  With your guys help, I have decided on Skies of Arcadia.  I was really torn between it and Dark Cloud 2.  So I am going to get Skies of Arcadia, and slide Dark Cloud 2 on to the back burner for now and pick it up later.  I may rent Splinter cell one day just to try it out.  Many thanks for the input guys!

No problem.  I'll be surprised if Skies of Arcadia doesn't make you happy.  It's a really good game.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2003, 08:12:32 AM »
ok i cant judge
but while i highly appreciate the advice you people give on game choice
you should still decide yourself which games you want

but i guess advice is really helpful combined with decent reviews  
LZ 2005

Offline Gharakh

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2003, 09:28:11 AM »
skies of arcadia was a great game for dreamcast, and i havent played it on cube yet but i'm sure it's just as good. i would definitely buy this game if they had upgraded the graphics substantially, which i dont believe they did. still an excellent game, but i am not a big fan of straight ports. i want some sort of major upgrade to make me want it.  dont ask why, its just the way i am i guess

Offline Calibretto

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2003, 10:30:27 AM »

Originally posted by: Hemmorrhoid
ok i cant judge
but while i highly appreciate the advice you people give on game choice
you should still decide yourself which games you want

but i guess advice is really helpful combined with decent reviews

I agree that people need to decide for themselves which games they want, but it is helpful when torn between two games (as I was) to hear what other people liked or disliked about a game, to see which of the two might better suit your tastes.  Normaly I just get recommendations from my friends or try out their copy of a game, but sometimes my friends haven't played the game I am interested in.  It is in that case that forums like this can help give me a little extra information, so that I can make a better informed decision.  But my heart was already set on either Dark Cloud 2 or Skies of Arcadia Legends.

Offline tomspug

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2003, 06:05:55 PM »
I agree that Pikmin is a great game, but I don't feel that the length of the game gives it less bang for your buck. If you want to get the most fun for your money, get multiplayer games like Timesplitters 2 or Smash Bros. Only buy 1-Player games that you know you will play more than once and that last a long time (not to mention are fun). The best example I could give would be Mario Sunshine or Metroid Prime. Personally, my favorite games are Eternal Darkness and Monkey Ball. Sega Soccer Slam is great too, but if you have multiple consoles, go for the others. Those versions were tweaked with better gameplay.
Love me. Love my website.
http://www.geocities.com/tomspug

Offline Nik Jam

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2003, 06:50:01 PM »
Glad to see someone once biased but have seen the light. Everyone else have made great suggestions so I have no need to make one. However, if I didnt read over some Skies of Arcadia Legends, Sonic Mega Collections, or Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, look for those. Unless you owned a DC or Genesis.
Nik Jam - I don't know. You tell me.

Offline Taco

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2003, 06:56:02 PM »
Is luigi's mansion on the player's choice list? If so im thinking about picking that up.

Offline z_911

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2003, 07:02:47 PM »
which should i buy? die hard for 19.99 (us) 29.99 (canadian) or timesplitters 2 29.99 (us) 44.99 (canadian)?  
Mike _911

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2003, 09:14:33 PM »
timesplitters no doubt

much better game
LZ 2005