Author Topic: SPECIALS: Nintendo World Report's Greatest GameCube Games  (Read 28422 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: SPECIALS: Nintendo World Report's Greatest GameCube Games
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2007, 07:51:57 AM »
I wasn't referring to the Rogue Squadron games with that sequel bit, more games like Pikmin where the sequel is a big improvement and makes buying the first one basically redundant or Mario Party where you'd want only one of them.

Wow. Technology aside, Rogue Leader is one of the greatest space shooters ever and stands with Goldeneye among the best movie licensed games ever.

There are much better Star Wars space games alone. X-Wing, Tie Fighter, etc are a very popular series. Non-licensed better games include the likes of Wing Commander, Freespace and Starlancer, possibly games like Privateer, X and Freelancer.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 08:15:04 AM »
"games like Pikmin where the sequel is a big improvement and makes buying the first one basically redundant or Mario Party where you'd want only one of them."

I wouldn't consider the first Pikmin redundant.  Mario Party is a little more unessential but Pikmin has completely different levels than Pikmin 2 and it's time limit makes the game play a fair bit differently.  To consider Pikmin redundant would be like dismissing Super Mario Bros as redundant because Super Mario Bros 3 was better.

I'm happy to see Four Swords Adventure on the list!  Though I didn't like being reminded that unpluggin a GBA resets the game.  I don't know why they designed it that way.

Reading about Animal Crossing took me back to when I first got it.  That was such a unique experience.  I quit playing once I realized I was altering my life to play a damn videogame.  At that point the game had become somewhat of a chore anyway since some days I didn't want to play it but at the same time I didn't want to miss out on a certain item appearing at the shop or a specific event.  It's odd in that it's a game I love but I never ever want to play again.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 08:32:15 AM »
I'm all for praising TIE Fighter and Wing Commander, but they are several times more complex and difficult to get into.  If you want a simulation, you won't like the Rogue Squadron games on principle.  I've talked to people who acted personally insulted that they couldn't stabilize their rear deflectors.  On the other hand, I like that kind of game, but I can't keep up with all the simulation aspects.  I always end up turning on invulnerability in those games, and the fact that invulnerability is a menu option instead of a hidden cheat says worlds more about the mainstream appeal of such games than I ever could.  Rogue Leader throws out everything but the bare essentials.  I don't need to be able to adjust the recharge rate of my ship's different systems to have fun shooting down bad guys.  In fact, it gets in the way.  I guess the difference is in where you want to find the fun.  Is the fun inside the ship, or outside it?  Is the fun in pretending to be a starship pilot, or is it in pretending to be the hero of the Rebellion?

Besides, none of the space games you mentioned are available for GameCube, so they're not really competing with Rogue Leader for a position on this list.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2007, 08:38:13 AM »
I'd forgotten about how special the GameCube was.. I'm definitely going to replay these games soon.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2007, 08:39:41 AM »
I'm a total whore for TIE Fighter (X-Wing sucks in comparison) but it's a completely different kind of game from Rogue Leader.  I think they are both brilliant in different ways.  I once wrote a Dream Games article about how Factor 5 should make TIE Fighter 2 and blend elements from Rogue Leader and TIE Fighter together for a new empire-focused game.

Also, a ProTip: You can access the most recently added GGG pages through the page menu on the right sidebar of the feature.  It beats scrolling down and clicking through the previously revealed pages just to get to the new stuff.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE:SPECIALS: Nintendo World Report's Greatest GameCube Games
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2007, 09:26:50 AM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
I'd forgotten about how special the GameCube was.. I'm definitely going to replay these games soon.
Agreed.  I'm going to start replaying Sunshine tonight.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2007, 11:43:46 AM »
bring on naruto 4

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2007, 03:44:34 PM »
I also don't get the Sunshine hate.  Probably one of the most visceral and just purely fun platformers I've ever played.  While Mario 64 had a better layout, in terms of level design and all that, I felt that Super Mario Sunshine controlled better and had more possibilities.  They didn't fully explore them, but what they did have was pretty good.  The story was god-awful, yes, and the final boss was a bit disappointing, but I just plain enjoyed controlling Mario.
Also, the tropical atmosphere was somewhat repetitive, but I liked the vacation-y feel of it.  Plus I'm sick and tired of the grass/fire/ice standard video game environments.
I still intend to buy this game.  I never owned it, only borrowed it twice, extensively.

The other games I generally agree with, though I never owned or got into Rogue Squadron or Animal Crossing.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline trip1eX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2007, 05:34:40 PM »
Rouge?  Eh I thought that game was dumb.  It had some good parts, but I remember it being a bit confusing at to what the hell you're supposed to do.  I played this before I got a 'Cube though.

Eternal Darkness?  Fun at first, but got old quick as the novelties wore off.  

animal crossing?  Nice concept, but just not my type of game.  I tried to play it for awhile, but I felt like a fool.  I can go in the kitchen and cook dinner or do laundry  and kill two birds with one stone - aka I can get work done and do the types of things that are in this game.  

Zelda:4 swords?  Practically speaking this game didn't quite hit the mark.  You guys putting this game on the list is the same type of mentality Nintendo had in releasing it.   Wishful thinking.   Oh and they should have sold this game for $20 to start with.

Super Mario Sunshine.  Never played SM64.  To  me this game just put a smile on your face.  The colors, the sytle, the controls,... It felt so relaxing.  And yeah the music on those abstract levels was killer and those levels were a blast.  Quite  a few throwaway levels, but overall just pure bliss.  I liked the dialouge alot too.  Good writing imo.

Pikmin - IN many ways I like it better than 2.  I think the challenge with the timer does it for me.  2 is good too though for the mp stuff especially.  The dungeons or caves not as good.  Another just pure enjoyable title.

Super Paper mario.  Fun one and good description there somewhere about it's strength being it's simplicity.  Personally I get turned off by games that think that they are more fun if they throw another 1000 spells, weapons and items into the mix.   To me you can't make that many items distinct in a game.  They all blur together.  I appreciated the this rpg and I appreciated that there was some skill to the battles which kept you on your toes.    

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2007, 06:12:01 PM »
Thanks for the love, Kairon.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2007, 08:58:08 PM »

Svevan! I'm like, your biggest fan!
Yeah... kind of by default, though

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2007, 04:10:50 AM »
I also don't get the Sunshine hate. Probably one of the most visceral and just purely fun platformers I've ever played.

I agee but only for the first 20-30 stars (errr... shines). After that it turned into a chore to find the remaining shines and do the requisite levels to unlock bowser and finally be done with this. SM64 was a lot better in that it allowed you to go for any star in a stage instead of only the next one (so it's harder to get stuck), only required star counts to beat the game so you didn't have to beat specific stars (with the exception of Dire Dire Docks and the Bowser battles), had more stages overall so there were even more stars you could try your luck at if you couldn't get one and kept unlocking levels at much higher star counts so you would still see new levels when hitting 50 stars. I liked the SMS levels themselves but SM64 handled the in between much better.

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2007, 07:37:34 AM »
Ahaha, I was just reading a "Making of" Sunshine interview, and here are some excerpts..

Q: The scope seems immense thanks to the new overworld.

Tezuka: Yes because it is large.

Q: What features didn't make the cut?

Usui: Well of course several nozzles we had on the cutting room. Some preliminary gun type water nozzles could not be used because of all the controversy in the United States.
Whoa.. that's interesting.

Usui: Please play this game to the ending. The motives behind Mario's disappearance is very interesting. It is the first time a Mario ending may bring you to tears !!

Offline archioverload

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2007, 07:47:57 AM »
Super Mario Sunshine> The camera was horrible.
"Dazzle people with smoke and mirrors, and swoop down like an eagle to clutch their hearts in your claws." --Travis, Killer 7

Offline willie1234

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2007, 08:21:41 AM »
today's edition was great.  I think I played Viewtiful Joe more hours than any other game.  I replayed it many times and enjoyed each play through as the challenge got harder.  Blue is great.

I also think games are too easy these days.  I loved the challenge of getting gold medals in Rogue Squadron and fighting my way through VJ.  I'm also one of those who would have liked to see a game full of those classic warp levels in Sunshine.  They were to me the most fun and memorable of the game.

To those who think it's too hard or couldn't beat Fire Leo - I hope you revisit it and play through to the end, it's a treat.  

Offline Famicom

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2007, 10:29:48 AM »
Interesting. Two of the games in today's updates just happened to be my most played GC games: Tales of Symphonia and Soul Calibur II. I don't have neither game on me to check, but I'm pretty sure I put just over 80 hours into Tales and almost 100 into SCII. Those SCII hours being mostly multiplayer, quite an achievement.
Oops pow suprise!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2007, 10:38:30 AM »
I have played SSBM for over 300 hours.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2007, 10:46:38 AM »
I hate JRPGs today. I forced myself to beat ToS, but that was 60 hours of my life that i want BACK.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2007, 04:27:12 PM »
Yeah, SSBM easily eats the most hours, even though I rarely have folks to play with.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2007, 04:58:46 PM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
I have played SSBM for over 300 hours.

Originally posted by: Kairon
I hate JRPGs today. I forced myself to beat ToS, but that was 60 hours of my life that i want BACK.

SSBM: 300 hours divided by five years = 60 hours/year
Tales: One game = 60+ hours

Therefore,

One game of Tales of Symphonia = One year of Super Smash Bros. Melee
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2007, 06:21:29 PM »
Would it be possible to link to the new entries everyday instead of having to go through every entry before it. Or maybe a master list that links to each addition.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2007, 07:05:04 PM »
There's a list on the right...
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2007, 07:07:03 PM »
There's a list on the right.  Jonny even pointed it out on the previous page of this thread.
GOREGASM!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2007, 10:22:24 PM »

Originally posted by: archioverload
Super Mario Sunshine> The camera was horrible.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2007, 12:35:51 AM »
AHAHAH  That's what I always think when someone complains about Sunshine's camera.  Sometimes it will force itself into weird spots, but most of the time it's under the player's control.  

I probably need to go out and get US copies of Sunshine, F-Zero, Viewtiful Joe, Cubivore, and Chibi Robo because it's going to feel like a lot of hassle to hook the Cube back up for Japanese games.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers