Author Topic: Burnout Paradise  (Read 16213 times)

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Burnout Paradise
« on: December 13, 2007, 12:07:41 PM »
I've searched and there was no thread created for this game.

So, did anyone play the demo yet?
I've been racing through the demo on 360. I think I'm going to buy this game, I was having fun trying to crash, and jumping, and spinning around, and the speed oh man freakin' sweet.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Burnout Paradise
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 12:15:26 PM »

Originally posted by: Caliban

I've been racing through the demo on 360. I think I'm going to buy this game, I was having fun trying to crash, and jumping, and spinning around, and the speed oh man freakin' sweet.

I think the reason for no thread is people have trouble getting excited for the Mario Party of racing games.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
RE: Burnout Paradise
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 12:31:34 PM »
Is this as good as Burnout 3? If so I'm all over this.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 01:10:53 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

I think the reason for no thread is people have trouble getting excited for the Mario Party of racing games.

Yeah, a whopping five games is exactly the same as more than ten, right?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 01:27:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo

You are so funny Dirk. There has been a Burnout coming out each year. So yeah, it is like the Mario Party series, expect a burnout every year, the only difference is Mario Party has been doing it for a longer time.:

Burnout
Burnout Legends
Burnout 2
Burnout 3
Burnout Paradise (The one coming out early 2008)
Burnout Revenge

They started coming out in 2002. So what does that make it? About a game a year! Then again why am I even trying with someone who thinks the GTA series is comparable to the Mario series in innovation?

Offline Sister Mary LeFever

• PS3ROX!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 01:32:59 PM »
It sounds more like Madden's release schedule to me.
My signature is a trainwreck

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 03:06:15 PM »

That threw me off, is the wink a sign that she was being sarcastic or something?

Originally posted by: Mr.Jack
Is this as good as Burnout 3? If so I'm all over this.

I can't tell you, because the only Burnout I've ever played was the first Burnout that came out for the GC.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 03:49:08 PM »
I own Burnout 2 for the Cube. I'd be all over this game if it was for Wii.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 03:56:28 PM »

That through me off, is the wink a sign that she was being sarcastic or something?

Sarcastic and serious all at once!  

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 04:25:45 PM »

Sarcastic and serious all at once!

I'm too tired to even understand what that means haha.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 07:20:38 PM »
You forgot Burnout Dominator. And the best one of the lot.. Burnout Legends DS!

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 11:54:39 PM »

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo

You are so funny Dirk. There has been a Burnout coming out each year. So yeah, it is like the Mario Party series, expect a burnout every year, the only difference is Mario Party has been doing it for a longer time.:

Burnout
Burnout Legends
Burnout 2
Burnout 3
Burnout Paradise (The one coming out early 2008)
Burnout Revenge

They started coming out in 2002. So what does that make it? About a game a year! Then again why am I even trying with someone who thinks the GTA series is comparable to the Mario series in innovation?

Just because I'm not a blind Nintendo fanboy doesn't mean I'm wrong. =D

Also Mario Party games are f***ing terrible, and keep getting worse with every incarnation, while Burnout started out as meh, and hit amazing with Burnout 3.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 03:15:52 AM »
I love Burnout 2 and 3; Revenge got a little crazy, but I loved it too!

What's the main difference in Paradise? Can you still hit cars from the back (a feature I like and dislike)?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 07:19:37 AM »
That option can be turned on and off.

The main difference in Paradise is it's open world and there's no loading screens.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 07:42:04 AM »

Originally posted by: Plugabugz

The main difference in Paradise is it's open world and there's no loading screens.

Well if it's done right that can be a cool feature, I'm guessing more than likely, having to drive to races is going to be somewhat tedious.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 07:43:20 AM »
I loved Burnout Revenge.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 08:48:24 AM »

That sounds kinda stupid
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 09:18:20 AM »
Burnout 2 is the best of the series.

Burnout Takedown lost the magic of the gameplay (especially the crash mode), but the takedown mode is the start of something better.

Burnout Revenge did not revitalize the crash mode, but takedowns are still fun and being able to ram other vehicles takes some pressure off and gives rise to a new mode. This one is better than Takedown.

I have yet to make time to download the demo of Paradise, but I'm not having high hopes.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 09:53:27 AM »
I'll download the demo but I'm not too excited I played the latest Burnout a couple of others and once the crashing wore off they weren't anything special. This is a series that should take at least a couple years in between games to make it fresh. The open world sounds interesting but given the limited development time I have a feeling it is going to be like Madden in execution, meaning it is the foundation for something good in another incarnation.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 12:04:27 PM »

Originally posted by: KashogiStogi

That sounds kinda stupid

You ever play Midnight Run?  It had that, and it was stupid.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 12:09:33 PM »

Originally posted by: DAaaMan64

That sounds kinda stupid

It has been awhile since I've played it, but didn't Smuggler's Run have an open ended world?

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 05:36:21 PM »

Originally posted by: DAaaMan64

That sounds kinda stupid

It has been awhile since I've played it, but didn't Smuggler's Run have an open ended world?

LOL yes, but that game wasn't that amazing.  It had a open world but not an open "overworld" where you go and find what your supposed to do, be it a race or whatever like you did in Midnight Run.  I think thats what they were implying with Paradise.  Smuggler's Run just had menus.  Not a bad game though.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2007, 06:58:43 PM »
Sure it wasn't Midnight Club? That was made by the Midtown Madness 1 and Midtown Madness 2 people IIRC (Angel Studios, now known as Rockstar... something).

Paradise looks like Criterion is at least trying new and different things to expand the series. The open world being the main feature and their aggressive push to have as little menus as possible being another. It's a bit neat that stopping at an intersection and revving your car can start a race and that there will be a seamless transition between single player and online mulitplayer. Also, if I remember correctly, you can finally have crashes where you can drive away from. The one iffy thing for me are the stunts. For some reason, jumping a car to do midair spins or barrel rolls crosses some line.

Here's to hoping that Burnout chaining from Burnout 2 and Burnout Dominator is here to stay forever for the series. I felt it was sorely missing from Takedown and Revenge. From the looks of some videos, it looks like I have nothing to worry about.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 08:13:32 PM »

Originally posted by: Enner
Sure it wasn't Midnight Club? That was made by the Midtown Madness 1 and Midtown Madness 2 people IIRC (Angel Studios, now known as Rockstar... something).

Paradise looks like Criterion is at least trying new and different things to expand the series. The open world being the main feature and their aggressive push to have as little menus as possible being another. It's a bit neat that stopping at an intersection and revving your car can start a race and that there will be a seamless transition between single player and online mulitplayer. Also, if I remember correctly, you can finally have crashes where you can drive away from. The one iffy thing for me are the stunts. For some reason, jumping a car to do midair spins or barrel rolls crosses some line.

Here's to hoping that Burnout chaining from Burnout 2 and Burnout Dominator is here to stay forever for the series. I felt it was sorely missing from Takedown and Revenge. From the looks of some videos, it looks like I have nothing to worry about.

Woops ya I mean Midnight Club, wtf iz zat.

Thanks Enner

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2007, 07:29:11 AM »
I reworked my post into an entry for my blog, so here's an edited and more comprehensive response:

So the Burnout Paradise demo came out this week, and I've probably put close to eight hours into it now. I've exhausted everything that's there. I've done big drifts, power parking, barrel rolls, jumped off buildings, found all the billboards, shortcuts, and jumps - the whole nine yards.

I never got to play Revenge. Even though Burnout is my favorite racing series, I agree that the games are coming out too often. In any case, Paradise is definitely something different. The free-roaming puts the emphasis more on exploration and using the environment to pull off big jumps and stunts. And since there are only a handful of events available in the demo that focus is emphasized even more.

I downloaded it on both the PS3 and 360 to see how they compare. There's a bit of difference in the colors and lighting, but aside from that, they're pretty much identical. For those of you that own both consoles, I think this one's going to come down to controller preference.

Last night I played online with the 360. The interface is really smooth. You just open up a mini-menu while you're driving, and in less than 10 seconds the other players are dropped into the same map. It was a lot of fun just roaming the city, smashing into each other, competing for the best scores, and going for crazy goals. We were laughing our heads off, and one of the guys was pissed because he couldn't figure out how I got 100% on power parking.

I love it for what it is, but as a Burnout fan, I have a wish list of things that I can only hope are in the full game:

1. There need to be areas with a lot more traffic - why is the freeway empty?

2. I want crash junctions back, since that is the most fun we've ever had passing a controller around the room.

3. I want replays back. The first game had an awesome crash replay system that let you revel in that moment, and now with Halo 3 and a lot of other big games letting you upload and share videos and screen shots, Burnout needs to get back in that scene so I can show the world the wickedest, craziest crashes, not to mention some of the out of the way stunts you can do now.

But even if those things don't make it in, this is going to be one awesome ride, and I'm definitely picking it up in January. Here's a bit of gameplay from a run I did Friday morning:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28997.html
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers