Author Topic: Nintendo made my day.  (Read 6388 times)

Nintendo made my day.
« on: May 24, 2014, 12:00:59 AM »
Oh and they just sold me on a Wii U too.

The other day I was doing some serious thinking and I came to the conclusion that maybe I have been too harsh on Wii U up till now. Money issues aside, I realized that it was mostly my own expectations that had changed along with well personal tastes evolving over the years. But watching some youtube videos has sort of gotten me excited for some of the new games out there. Sure there are less than ten games released or announced I am interested in but I realized hell I got a 32X for basically one game so whatever.

But I have been wrestling with the value propositions for some time so I decided to make a random phone call to Nintendo to ask if they could clarify a couple of points that had me confused. My initial thought process was how everyone rags on how few the virtual console titles are on Wii U but after creating my very sloppily not too well thought out post about eShop I realized I needed to do some research. So I asked the Nintendo rep the questions I had, starting with Virtual Console. Mainly I was curious if you could still access VC games from Wii on Wii u, which since you can it kind of confuses me why the fuss over them not releasing on Wii U in the first place but that is not important here.

Then I asked some questions about my games I had purchased when I still had a Wii, after a very long conversation verifying all my games, console serial number, My Nintendo account info, Wii Network ID etc, the rep confirmed that if I bought a wii U not only would they allow me to link it to my old account and re-download all the games I previously purchased, they would also credit my account for the games no longer available like TMNT, DKC, and a few TG16 titles. considering that leaves me at about $150 dollars worth of VC titles if I get a Wii u, plus she explained to me how the MK8 deal works, I figured if I can get four games plus all my VC titles back plus some credits on eshop and a whole bunch of coins, it actually works out so that I am basically getting the console for free. So knowing I can't pass up that deal, and knowing I absolutely need to get one before Hyrule Warriors releases, I decided that I am going to head over to K-mart and pick up a Wii U this weekend. Or put one on layway to be precise but still I decided to hell with it.

I also gave up any hope for it ever getting real 3rd party support but if they can support the eShop at the very least it might still be worth it, especially if they can unify their accounts in the future allowing me to keep these VC games forever, or for a few years anyways.

Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo made my day.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 12:39:12 AM »
While i am happy for you, things like these shouldn't require any calls to support service.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 01:09:24 AM »
Glad to hear it but you could save quite a bit buying a used WII U as well--bought mine last year for $180 and it came with two games and WII U PRO and an nice plastic cover/stand for the Gamepad--I'm sure you can score them even lower than that now.

Also, what most people gripe about was the fact you couldn't play WII eshop games on the Gamepad or any other WII game for that matter.  And you can't use the WII U Pro controller.

Nintendo released "enhanced" VC versions and required you to pay them a few dollars to get Gamepad support but I didn't see the big deal because you can still play them using WII mode on the WII U. 

---------
Note you should have an SD card handy for the transfer. 

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 01:12:09 AM »
While i am happy for you, things like these shouldn't require any calls to support service.

Sometimes it's best to confirm things from a source. That's why the service exists. Some people prefer that method. No need to fault the man for getting info in a way that he prefers.

Anyways, welcome to the club man. I know the running topic for a year now has been about poor third party support and no third party support and why the console is selling poorly but while those factors may cause a limit in game production, there are actually a lot of really good games to be had with the system. There are currently 7 titles I still want to buy for my game collection plus some virtual console fare like Ducktales and Earthbound. There are also a few other titles I'd be willing to give a shot like Sonic: Lost World, Lego City Undercover, Rayman Legends and Injustice.

Plus, with E3 with coming up, I'm sure there will be easily another 8 titles that will be showcased that I'd probably want to purchase. We know X, Yarn Yoshi and Smash Bros. exist so that's 3 right there and I don't think it is an impossible expectation that Nintendo will be able to show 5 new titles worth getting hyped about. Still, 18 games is the number I currently have for the 3DS plus a few virtual console games so that starts putting the Wii U library in that same amount. While people still want to keep projecting the system as dead and dismal, I really think anyone can find enjoyment out of it if they can learn to accept it on its own merits instead of always comparing it to everything its not.

So, enjoy. In the coming months, I don't think you will be the only one making that kind of decision.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 01:50:07 AM »
Oh, i definitely blame Nintendo. They shouldn't be thanked for solving the problem that they created in the first place.

But yeah, enjoy your games, get Toki Tori 2, Mario, Lego whatever you like. Invite your friends and play co-op - lots of fun.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 02:01:41 AM »
Oh, I see now. You were making a complaint about Nintendo not doing enough to make people aware of these things. I thought you were making a comment that he didn't need to call customer support about it and were implying that he should have just looked it up on the internet. That's why I made the comment that people have different ways of getting info but it's a completely pointless comment.

Yay! Another internet miscommunication solved!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 03:01:02 PM »
Wii U VC has save state support too.  I would have never beaten Super Ghouls and Ghosts without it.  Plus, there is the ambiguity over whether it will be lost on the next console since there is unlikely to be a Wii mode on the next console. 

But the biggest reason for most is the off-screen play. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 03:04:15 PM »
Wii U VC also lets you remap the buttons to your liking. That's come in handy for me on a few occasions, particularly with Super Metroid.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 09:02:26 PM »
If I do get a wii u I won't ever be selling it, despite my reasons at the time I do kind of regret selling the Wii even if most of that stems from major regret selling my Game Cube before hand.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
Yes, break the pattern of selling Nintendo consoles and then having regret! lol ;)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 09:15:07 PM »
If I do get a wii u I won't ever be selling it, despite my reasons at the time I do kind of regret selling the Wii even if most of that stems from major regret selling my Game Cube before hand.

Lucky for you used Gamecubes run like $15.  That's really an easy error to correct.  Unless you are talking about games too.  Games for the Gamecube do tend to run on the expensive side as people are realizing it was a great system after the fact. 

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 09:17:10 PM »
Wii U VC also lets you remap the buttons to your liking. That's come in handy for me on a few occasions, particularly with Super Metroid.

So Donkey Kong Country 3 is now playable? I can't stand their weird "claw" formation for running and jumping.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 09:18:26 PM »

So Donkey Kong Country 3 is now playable? I can't stand their weird "claw" formation for running and jumping.

No, as that's not on the Wii U VC yet. :(
(I could have misunderstood you, though.)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 09:19:33 PM »
Aww crap, I forgot, they pulled that off of the VC, didn't they? I'll have to keep it on my regular Wii for now.
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 09:20:07 PM »

It will be, when and if Nintendo updates it for Wii U. The fact that it's been pulled off even the Wii shop doesn't make that seem likely, though.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 09:21:04 PM »
Makes me glad I downloaded it when I did.
My Game Collection

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 09:24:26 PM »
Aww crap, I forgot, they pulled that off of the VC, didn't they? I'll have to keep it on my regular Wii for now.

Oh, you can transfer it to your Wii U and play it in Wii Mode.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 09:41:35 PM »
You know, I've been going back and forth on that one. I have two Wiis. One has a bad disc drive but is tied to all my digital content which plays fine. I got a second Wii to play retail titles. I finally got around to hacking them and converted my saves to the new one but not the games yet. I figured I could just transfer everything back to the old Wii and transfer that to my U. But now I've been thinking I should just keep the Wii stuff on my Wii because of all this debacle over what works and what doesn't. I could possibly get some cash back for new stuff if it works out like the rep was telling you. And I could even same the software on my spare Wii and in a sense get to have my cake and eat it too.

I'd love to hear some feedback from the group on how I should go about transferring (or not transferring).
My Game Collection

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2014, 10:20:58 PM »
If you hack your Wii (or Wii U) you shouldn't have any problem playing any of the SNES DKC games...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 04:03:32 PM »
Yeah, they're usually pretty nice about this sort of thing, so it's good it all worked out for you.

Doesn't Super Metroid already let you change the buttons? Or does it just have something you can't change that the Wii U feature lets you change?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2014, 05:23:19 PM »
Yeah, they're usually pretty nice about this sort of thing, so it's good it all worked out for you.

Doesn't Super Metroid already let you change the buttons? Or does it just have something you can't change that the Wii U feature lets you change?

I use it to set the map and item switch to the second set of shoulder buttons for quicker access, which any in-game switch would obviously be unable to do.

J.P. Corbran