Author Topic: PSN vs eShop  (Read 3546 times)

PSN vs eShop
« on: May 14, 2014, 05:27:42 PM »
Ok the topic is broader than Rayman but that is where I will start. Recently I have been in a slump so I began trying to get some more use out of my PS3 than just watching endless hours of Netflix. So I began downloading a ton of old PS 1 classics and some PS2 games I missed out on being a GameCube supporter back in those days.

So as I browse around the PSN store I stumble across a game I remembered wanting but never getting into Rayman. So on an impulse I buy it and Crash Bandicoot in the same binge. I would say half of my Ps3 library is made up of HD collections/Remakes from the PS2 which is one reason why I wish Nintendo would do a few more of those. Then I realize as I am playing these games, Gex was another I grabbed recently although that one I had before on Saturn so I knew what to expect.

I have two questions, upon playing Rayman I am starting to really like it and I know there is a new one, Rayman Legends or sometime, just curious if that is available on PS3 or is it just the new stuff like Wii U and Ps4? Second are there more games like this on eShop? or specifically is there a place to browse the games on Eshop? I am curious because I hear how lame Virtual Console is for Wii U and honestly unless there are game Cube games on there I am not interested anyways I had all the games I wanted on VC on Wii. Everything else I now have on PSN and am enjoying that. Also what is that new Rayman game like on Wii U is it any good compared to the first one?

Although I hate the interface I am finding that PSN has a ton of games I am interested in, most are under the Classics and the bundles/collections but I am also finding a few indie titles I am curious about. Up till now I got most of my indies on Steam so my other question is how does eShop compare to PSN and Steam for titles and selection? I know there aren't likely to be many PS1 games but are there Arcade games on Wii U? I have the Duck Tales Remastered and am thinking of getting Castle of Illusion and the D&D Arcade games two pack and I have SSF2T HD also. Are any of those on Wii U either? I ask because I am contemplating getting one eventually, maybe when Mario Kart releases to get in on that Bundle Deal, but I am curious what the digital library is like because if I invest in a Wii U it has to be justified so I want to know if the digital games I want to get are on Wii U so I can decide to hold off for a while or just get them now on PS3. I am already interested in NES Remix 1 and 2 but there has to be more than just those two games.

I am somewhat aware of the games released on disc, the few that I know about that I might like are the three Mario Bros. games, DKC:TP, maybe W101, and that new Sonic game and the new Pac-Man game because I always enjoy those Pac-Man world games. But I know there are few games in stores especially around here so I am hoping the digital shop is better I am not expecting to be have everything PSN does, but does it compare? Does it at least get some of the 3rd party stuff that the retail stores don't? And aside frim Wikipedia is there a reliable, easy to read list of games for the system that isn't a mess like Nintendo's site?
Last question, any news on if or when AVGN Adventures will be on PSN/E Shop? I have it on Steam already but I would gladly buy it again for either console if it is improved at all, or just to play it properly with a controller that is fully supported as the Windows version is a mess in that regards.

sorry post is a mess was typing with one hand.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 05:30:04 PM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: PSN vs eShop
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 10:50:21 PM »
Marvel vs DC

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 05:33:01 AM »
AVGN is awful.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 05:36:07 AM »
To answer your question, yes, Rayman Legends is available on PS3, and probably crazy cheap at this point given how it sold.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 06:44:14 PM »
I guess that post was a bigger mess than I thought, I typed it with one hand while playing some FF7 with the other. Anyways my question was how does the eshop compare title and selection wise to PSN. In other words, if there is a game on PSN that I am interested in is there a good chance it would also be on eshop?

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 06:49:16 PM »
Most Wii U retail games are available on the eShop, other than Activision's stuff. In terms of indie stuff, there's some crossover, but a lot of exclusive stuff both ways.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 08:02:54 PM »
Ducktales and D&D arcade are on the Wii U, if that was a question...

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 10:19:36 PM »
wow okay that was a mess. Let me re-phrase it this way, do both stores offer similar games, experiences or is Nintendo's store just VC with a few indie titles sprinkled in? I was curious about the Arcade remakes, like SSF2T HD remix, and the Mortal Kombat arcade trilogy, the Capcom arcade classics cabinet, stuff like that?

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 04:23:27 AM »
There's a pretty significant amount of indie stuff on the Wii U. I've got like 20 non-VC eShop games, though as anyone here could tell you, I buy way too many games. The specific things you mentioned, however, are not on there.

J.P. Corbran