Author Topic: dropping out of school perhaps  (Read 3437 times)

dropping out of school perhaps
« on: April 27, 2014, 05:02:08 PM »
A little back ground. For the last three years I was attending a certain four year university, then round November some stuff happened and I was kicked out of school. When I began I was studying broadcasting because I am into media production, when I ended I was doing Advertising and Public Relations with a Marketing Minor. I switched because the school split the broadcasting degree into two, Journalism and Ad/PR, I chose the ad PR because I hated my news writing class. Not sure what to do after getting kicked out of school and my campus apartment which effectively left me homeless, I enrolled in the local community college to keep going but I was stuck, the campus I was at did not offer the media degree only the campus over an hour away, so I enrolled in their online business course instead, Business Administration with a Management emphasis, their other choice was just Accounting. But I don't want to go into corporate suit and tie sit in an office world I wanted to get into video production. Now after a full semester closing down I am at a crossroads.

In order to keep going I have to either forfeit my four year degree and settle for a 2 year business degree, depressing notion. OR I have to try to transfer to another four year school, since none are close by that either means moving again, or taking online courses. I am OK with online courses for some stuff but not video production that needs to be hands on, I did an online film class and an on campus cinematography class, both were fun but I got way more out of the on campus one than the online one. I found a school in state that offers courses online but it is very expensive and due to my suspension from the other school there is a high chance I won't get in.

So I am thinking I might as well just drop out and regroup latter instead of continuing down a path that will not take me to where I want to go. I have three years at the four year school so I have plenty of credits to transfer so if I decide to finish up latter I am sure I can do that, if the credits will transfer. The thing is I just had to get back on my feet and in order to do that required me to take a full time job, I was getting by before living on campus and making do with nothing but now that I have to support myself that isn't an option. Because I am 31 I don't qualify for a lot of the assistance others might but I do get some financial aid and such but again because of the suspension and change in income, now that I have a full time job, things have changed.

I am in the process of starting up my own sort of freelance video production company, well sort of, and I am hoping with money from work I can spend the summer trying to get my business going, got the website started and will be doing the social media thing soon. But right now I am in a real bind where I am working for a parts store, I know literally jack about cars so I am having to learn a lot to keep my job, which requires I get ASE certified within two years anyways which again is a distraction I can't have going to school full time and trying to start a business too.

I will not give up on the business I need to do something and I have everything I need just trying to get the legal and business stuff sorted out so I can get it going, but I also can't lose my job, the hours are pretty good so I can work around my schedule but throw 12 credits of full time, fully online classes on top and I am stressed to the max and I am about to burst. I had a panic attack/nervous breakdown early in the year sold all my possessions loaded my van and headed to LA, made it all the way to Hollywood before realizing it was about the dumbest thing I ever did. I can't afford another break down and the stress building up is what got me kicked out of school in the first place so I need to get that dealt with.

Any advice, opinions, thoughts, kind words, just want to tell me to suck it up? Family is well you know family they all have their own plan for my life which apparently doesn't require consulting me anyways.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: dropping out of school perhaps
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 06:14:35 PM »
I have a wife and 2 kids, work full time and go to college full time (at least 12 credits per semester, no online classes). I'm not gonna talk you out of it, but if I can do it, anyone can do it.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 06:25:23 PM »
that is my issue, online classes are more demanding everyone says they are easier but they aren't I get more from being in class participating in discussions and attending the lectures, partaking in group activities, etc, online its just study till you can't take it anymore and turn in all the homework on time take all tests on time and its just frustrating because what I want to do, what I set out to learn I can't get what I want out of online classes.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 09:49:44 PM »
Have you started producing media? Can we see it?

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 10:19:11 PM »
Actually yes I have some but nothing I am very proud of. I am trying to get the website up and running at the moment, I am willing to pay for my own web hosting, won't ever deal with Youtube again.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 11:25:29 AM »
I am in a similar boat to Brandogg as I am working a 40+ hour job and a full-time course load. Wife is working part-time and going to school full-time. Though our advantage is no kids yet. I commend Brandogg for pulling off this feat. Though we are doing it without student loans. We will never have a lick of debt again. It is amazing what you can do when you don't have to make payments on everything.

A very important thing to consider: your debt load. If you have student loans then you will have to start paying it off after you leave school. Attending school allows you to defer the payments. This happened to me when I left my first school. A number of financial things hit me at the same time when I dropped out and it ended up leaving me with a dollar to my name until I regained my footing again.

I think what you are doing in starting a business is great. If you can get that rolling part-time you can migrate over to it full-time once it is making enough to support you. You don't need a degree to pull this off. I would try to find someone who has succeeded and see if you can learn some things from them. Maybe take them out to coffee and pick their brain on how they pulled off their business.

If you do go to school again you should cash-flow it at a community college. Don't settle for an AA. All of the different experts I have talked to in education and in the professional realm say that an AA means jack. What you want to do is go to community college for two years then TRANSFER to a local 4 year school. Many of the 4-years have agreements with local CC's to accept Transfer Degrees in specific fields and you start at Junior standing at the 4-year. The important thing is to meet all of the 4-year's prerequisites. Go talk to a professor in the major you are interested in and I am sure they would be willing to help. I just met with my professor in the engineering department and he helped me map out my course plan for the next year and a half and verified the CC classes that were accepted at the 4-year for their program.

Also go to an in-state school. No one cares about where you went unless you are a pretentious person. You need to be smart with your education. 2 years of CC + 2 years of University is cheaper than 4 years of University and gets you the same degree. And doing it all in-state is super cheap compared to out-of-state. If there is no other option than out-of-state I would either use your own business or get a new job in that other state and then establish residency (1 year typically does it) to get the better price.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 12:51:04 AM »
Actually yes I have some but nothing I am very proud of. I am trying to get the website up and running at the moment, I am willing to pay for my own web hosting, won't ever deal with Youtube again.

What about Vimeo?

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 10:19:08 PM »
been away for a while, finals week you know how that goes. Semester is over, landed a kick ass job in my field and got re-energized. I failed one of my classes but that is okay I changed my outlook recently. The reason that doesn't bother me is this whole semester was a reallignment of sorts and since I knew I wasn't going into business although I did take it seriously I struggled with it because it was a lot of BS that just made me sick of school.

First I already have massive debt, staying in school to defer that is nice and all but not if it means adding more debt. However I did find some good news, my community college is partners with another four year school that is NOT affiliated with the one that suspended me so I am transferring there in the fall. It is an accelerated program and since I have 3 years at another University I am far enough along that I will be done in 18 months. Also it is fully online so I don't have to move.

Shyguy: I don't like using any services they are too restrictive I like to have more control and not have to worry about miscommunication over copyright issues. My beef with Youtube stems from having permission to use a certain song in one of my videos, somebody complaining I didn't and reporting it and me having to go through the process of proving I had permission. THEN when I had a second reported violation I was suspended for "multiple infractions" even though my first was proved to be a false report. Then they forced me to sign up for Google Plus and I told them to **** off. I tried others I think even Vimeo once before but I didn't care for them either. If I do anything worth sharing I will upload it to my website and post links wherever I intend to share.

I have the website bought already just haven't uploaded it yet, going to need some time to purchase me Dreamweaver as I been using Publisher and it sucks. I could code it by hand using basic HTML but I don't have time for that and am not that much of a web designer anyways. I took a class in college a couple of years ago but thats about it.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 10:20:58 PM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 09:50:22 AM »
Getting a job in the field you want to be in is a major win.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 10:27:02 PM »
I have my first gig this weekend. I was supposed to start in video but then they offered me a DJ position to get going because there is more opportunities in that to get going so I don't have to keep waiting. Also I am in the process of putting together a portfolio and DVD reel of my best work to start sending to companies in the area, I am trying to get on at the local TV station but I am also going to apply with some of the big companies around here who do videos like Charter, the Buckle, those places see what turns up. In the mean time I will do the wedding thing and keep saving up to buy the stuff I need to branch out on my own. I am so glad I didn't throw it all away and settle for the wrong degree.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 10:49:17 PM »
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 10:50:36 PM »
good luck may the aura be with you. ::)
Made you look ****.

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 10:01:26 AM »
well I might be dropping out anyways, apparently that class I failed might affect my financial aid and that puts college out of reach for the time being. If I have to take a year off to save up money I will.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 12:28:35 PM »
Failing a class can have huge impact on your education down the road. I got a 1.7 in English 101 when I was a running start student and now, over a decade later I hit a wall when I returned to school because you need a 2.0 to move on to the advanced classes. I just finished retaking the class for a better grade.

You could always try going to school part-time as you amass the funds. Take a couple easier classes to boos your GPA and then apply for need-based scholarships and grants.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 12:01:52 AM »
no that won't work I am taking an accelerated program its basically all or nothing. If I can't get the financial aid I have no choice but to take a year off. the good news is the guy training me at my videography job works for the local tv station and he is going to put in a good word for me so there is potential there.

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 11:49:50 PM »
Update. New semester starts next Monday. Books already ordered, classes registered. I ended up changing my program as I was misled by the outreach person but my adviser straightened it out. Also I didn't get the job at the TV station but I am happy with my current job anyways.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 11:52:59 PM »
Good luck, my final (for B.S.) semester starts tomorrow.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 11:54:31 PM »
thanks. I am so looking forward to getting back on track. This was going to be my senior year but I am now a year away from that but it is what it is.