Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Brawl  (Read 347272 times)

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Super Smash Bros. Brawl
« Reply #1625 on: May 21, 2007, 06:06:17 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Mikintosh, Smash Bros. is a FIGHTING game. In those games, frames are very important, because split seconds determine whether your move hits or his move hits. Virtua Fighter 5 on the PS3 had its online component scrapped because they weren't happy with lag, and I've heard that the lag is also noticable on XBLA's Street Fighter 2 when played online.

The only problem I have with this is that ALL games require frames to be important.  What is to say that FPS games are "less important" than fighting games when it comes to frames?

I would like to think that we could have fairly stable games that use a lot less data.  

But I'll be honest - I don't know sh*t about programming online capabilities, so for all I know it might BE harder to have two characters fighting than 40+ FPS characters shooting at each other.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
RE: Super Smash Bros. Brawl
« Reply #1626 on: May 21, 2007, 06:37:06 PM »
I've played games with lag, and I have to say, in a fighting game the frames are much more important.  Try Mario Kart DS, for example.  Haven't you seen a player "jump" around playing this?  It's still possible to play semi-competitively in this type of atmosphere.  I haven't played any FPSs online, but I imagine the game can transfer position using a simple coordinate system, and similarly, plot the path of bullets based on the physics, type of gun, and position as well, meaning that the only necessary information needing transfer is position, and all other data is secondary, though still there is very little transferred.  With a fighting game, you transfer a lot more information, since less information is based on individual system computations and more relies on player input.  The information exchanged has to be at even pace with button input, and has less to do with position computations.

That's my rationale, though it's a completely uneducated guess.

Offline The Traveller

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: May 21, 2007, 07:07:59 PM »
If they can get Mario Soccer working online, im sure they can get two characters fighting online with smash..

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: May 21, 2007, 07:12:20 PM »
I hope so.  Anyways, we're about to have a small flood of online titles, or at least promised online titles, so I think they've gotten things under control on that side.  I hope the issue is between how many players can be online, and not whether or not the game is can be played online.

I honestly wish they had ported Melee w/ complete multiplayer online for launch while working on Brawl, but I think a lot of people wouldn't like that.

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: May 21, 2007, 07:15:17 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Mikintosh, Smash Bros. is a FIGHTING game. In those games, frames are very important, because split seconds determine whether your move hits or his move hits. Virtua Fighter 5 on the PS3 had its online component scrapped because they weren't happy with lag, and I've heard that the lag is also noticable on XBLA's Street Fighter 2 when played online.

Ah, point. I actually had no problems with SNK vs. Capcom over Live, but Brawl is probably more complicated. Still, they wouldn't have floated the idea of Wi-Fi if they thought it was technologically unfeasible from the start. But we'll see.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: May 21, 2007, 07:55:26 PM »
The site is live.

EDIT: So far, not much.

Just how the game works, the stage that some people thought might be revealing another character (the sundial stage) is actually the battlefield stage and there are a whole bunch of composers listed with a track you can listen to.

Megaton.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #1631 on: May 21, 2007, 07:55:54 PM »

Originally posted by: Khushrenada
The site is live.

Damn, beaten to it...

EDIT:

Wow, there is like nothing up there. So the main stage looks like it has different appearances based on the time of day.

Oh, but check this out... that's a HUGE list of video game music talent there:

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/music/music01.html

I mean, some of the selected past work is very... interesting. Killer7, NiGHTS, Chrono Trigger, Kingdom Hearts, Streets of Rage, Ape Escape 2 (...the hell?)

Wonder how they are going to work in all that musical talent, and why they went to such lengths as well.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: May 21, 2007, 07:59:30 PM »
Ok, the sites up, with little new information.  The "How to Play" section is up?! The stage section is up, and so is the music section, though they contain very little information.

Now, avert your attention to the music section.  Look at the names.  Look at the companies.  Look at them all.  There are so many, so much talent.
This game is going to be amazing.  I know it.  It has to be.  There's no way that that much talent is being used without absolute amazing.  No way.  Listen to the Melee menu remix provided.  It sounds wonderful.

I cannot wait for Smash Bros.

Also, could the people working on the music be a hint for extra characters?  Yes, I spy Chrono Trigger/Xenosaga listed as experience of one of the musician's.

Edit: I NEED THIS GAME'S SOUNDTRACK!!!!!!

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #1633 on: May 21, 2007, 07:59:37 PM »
Ugh.  I stayed up until 2 am for this?

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #1634 on: May 21, 2007, 08:02:42 PM »
It's still updating. Still 2007 release date, and now the old two videos are up. Hopefully more to come.

EDIT: Or maybe I just missed that the first time? They seem to only appear on the home page.  
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: May 21, 2007, 08:06:12 PM »
Ok I'm convinced.  The music page was put up first to provide an idea of characters added.

Someone from Chrono Trigger, Xenosaga, Kingdom Hearts, Animal Crossing, MOTHER 3(!), Streets of Rage, NiGHTS, (more) Metroid characters, Contact(?), Pikmin, Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, and more are possibilities!  I don't think every game/series listed will see characters, but I bet that any musician listed for a non-Nintendo company has a character coming from at least one of the listed projects.  It only makes sense, I mean, look at the first musician on the list.  Metal Gear games are all over his list.  I can't believe it!  I know people are going to say there isn't much on the site, but this is HUGE! to me.  Absolutely amazing!  

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1636 on: May 21, 2007, 08:08:06 PM »
LAME!
That sucked. The only worthwhile info is the fact that it's to be updated every weekday.  
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: May 21, 2007, 08:10:02 PM »
Wait, daily weekday updates?  I think the game is closer than we think.  Well, maybe not, it still doesn't have an ESRB rating.  I'm almost thinking a surprise for July or September.  But that's the optimist inside me.  I want this now.

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: May 21, 2007, 08:10:49 PM »

Originally posted by: Tanookisuit
Ugh.  I stayed up until 2 am for this?

You probably shouldn't have done that. But daily updates are better than just one big one, I think!

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #1639 on: May 21, 2007, 08:15:12 PM »

Originally posted by: thatguy
Ok I'm convinced.  The music page was put up first to provide an idea of characters added.

Someone from Chrono Trigger, Xenosaga, Kingdom Hearts, Animal Crossing, MOTHER 3(!), Streets of Rage, NiGHTS, (more) Metroid characters, Contact(?), Pikmin, Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, and more are possibilities!  I don't think every game/series listed will see characters, but I bet that any musician listed for a non-Nintendo company has a character coming from at least one of the listed projects.  It only makes sense, I mean, look at the first musician on the list.  Metal Gear games are all over his list.  I can't believe it!  I know people are going to say there isn't much on the site, but this is HUGE! to me.  Absolutely amazing!

Yeah, it's an incredible list, and would indicate possibly way more third party characters than thought from earlier comments made on that blog way back. I mean, to take a few selections:

Yoko Shimomura       -  Kingdom Hearts series (Sora maybe?)
Yasunori Mitsuda       -  CHRONO TRIGGER / XENOGEARS (I'd die happy if Chrono was there)
Tomoko Sasaki       -  NiGHTS
Jun Fukuda -   killer7
Masafumi Takada -   killer7 (a character from Killer7 would be really bizzare... or maybe it would be from No More Heroes?)

Suprised nothing on the list seems to indicate Sonic, though...

Also, anyone check out the added music theme? Sounds... nice, although not as grand as I would have hoped for (I actually think I prefer the take on the melody from the original Melee more).
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: May 21, 2007, 08:18:28 PM »
If this game does have a playable Killer7 character...OMFG *headshot*...by the way that music composer list is phenomenol.

Has anyone noticed how both the .jp and .us sites have the game planned for 2007, yet the European (.uk/.es/.it/.de/.fr) don't have any planned release.
I think we will see this game out this year, MP3 in August, SMG in either October/November, and SSBB in December.

"Menu 1" music = bliss

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1641 on: May 21, 2007, 08:28:27 PM »
Sora has very little chance of being in Brawl. Only one of his 3 games was on a Nintendo system, and that was the GBA game that was later ported.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #1642 on: May 21, 2007, 08:29:48 PM »

Originally posted by: Caliban
If this game does have a playable Killer7 character...OMFG *headshot*...by the way that music composer list is phenomenol.

Thinking about it more... perhaps there would just be a Killer7 level? Perhaps not a character from the franchise, but a stage to still represent it? My thought drifted there with the inclusion of somethings that I couldn't picture a character from, such as:

Seiji Momoi - METEOS

A Meteos stage would be pretty neat, for example, as would a Animal Crossing stage (even if no characters from that game make it in).

Still thrilled to see such a huge roster of talent too. Probably don't want to set myself up for dissapointment, though, based on the possibilities of it all.

Originally posted by: Caliban
"Menu 1" music = bliss

After hearing it about a dozen times, I would have to agree... I think I now prefer it over the original composition (yeah, my taste can be very fickle with updated things...)
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #1643 on: May 21, 2007, 08:30:56 PM »

Originally posted by: TVman
Sora has very little chance of being in Brawl. Only one of his 3 games was on a Nintendo system, and that was the GBA game that was later ported.

...that we know of.

If there are future Kingdom Heart games slotted for the Wii/DS that we don't know about that are currently in the works, then his chances would be pretty good.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: May 21, 2007, 08:34:33 PM »
Hmm, that was anti-climactic. I like the idea of periodic updates, but I was hoping for more than a "How to play" tutorial and a composer list. If you're going to relaunch a site for a game of this caliber, you might as well drop one bomb.

I do expect more than 2 or 3 more third party characters (and have maintained so). However, I don't think the composer list is hinting at anything. I'm not sure if Sony owns the Wild Arms franchise, but even if they don't, the series has never been on a Nintendo platform yet Michiko Naruke (the Wild Arms series composer) is contributing to Brawl's soundtrack. I think the point of employing so many composers is to get different styles into the game to mostly remix old favorites like the Super Mario Bros. theme. I like the idea of hearing different composers interpretations of classic themes.

Anyway, I don't really like the new percentage icons. In Melee, they sometimes obstructed the action (especially in Hyrule Temple) and now they've added the actual picture of the character and the name. The name would have sufficed. It's not a huge deal though.

Offline ezaphlix

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: May 21, 2007, 08:35:17 PM »
Looking at that composer list, I found it strange that one particular name is missing:  Nobuo Uematsu.  Kinda interesting that the man behind the trailer isn't going to have his presence felt in the final product.
If I want realism I'll go outside.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: May 21, 2007, 08:35:53 PM »
The requirement was just an appearance on a Nintendo system, and nothing else.  After all, how many games was Roy in? Ness? Pichu?  I wouldn't limit anyone, especially if it meant that said characters may be contractually obligated to appear in more games in order to appear in this one.  I just know that by hearing the music from Menu 1 alone, this game will be every bit more awesome that Melee, solely because I didn't think Melee's music could be any better, but I enjoy Menu 1 much more than most of Melee's music already.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: May 21, 2007, 08:42:29 PM »

Originally posted by: Arbok
Thinking about it more... perhaps there would just be a Killer7 level? Perhaps not a character from the franchise, but a stage to still represent it?

Even if there won't be any character/stage from K7, I still think it is awesome that both K7 composers are contributing to SSBB.

Originally posted by: Arbok
After hearing it about a dozen times, I would have to agree... I think I now prefer it over the original composition (yeah, my taste can be very fickle with updated things...)

Heh, well I can sometimes get over excited when I hear something good, in this case I can say from my part that it's permissable lol.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #1648 on: May 21, 2007, 09:07:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Adrock
However, I don't think the composer list is hinting at anything. I'm not sure if Sony owns the Wild Arms franchise, but even if they don't, the series has never been on a Nintendo platform yet Michiko Naruke (the Wild Arms series composer) is contributing to Brawl's soundtrack. I think the point of employing so many composers is to get different styles into the game to mostly remix old favorites like the Super Mario Bros. theme. I like the idea of hearing different composers interpretations of classic themes.

Looking at the list again I, sadly, think you are right. I just noticed that the person behind the music for the Golden Sun series is the one who composed the new menu theme... so it would seem likely that much of this talent could be taking a swing at stuff unrelated to the their resume.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: May 21, 2007, 09:14:21 PM »
Well, I've listened to it a few times, and while it's really good, I like the original SSBM version better still.

Anyway, this is practically guaranteed to have the best soundtrack ever, taking that award away from Melee.

Great news!

EDIT: Hahaha, I smiled when I saw that one of the guys has the Everybody Votes Channel as his only work. And I'm learning a lot just from that list - apparently Koji Kondo didn't do the Twilight Princess soundtrack - that was handled by someone else. Also, any idea of who did the Jungle Beat soundtrack? There are some amazing tunes in that game. Specifically Aerie Fortress.

Hopefully Yamamoto (Metroid) plays one of the bigger roles..  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig