Author Topic: Super Mario Collection Special Pack Revealed  (Read 11901 times)

Offline gypsyOtoko

• Japanese Correspondent, NWR
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Super Mario Collection Special Pack Revealed
« on: September 02, 2010, 04:05:04 AM »

Kirby's Epic Yarn and Golden Sun: Dark Dawn accompany the pack on Nintendo's October Japanese release schedule.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/23967

Nintendo has revealed October's game release schedule for Japan, and included in the list is a surprise, Super Mario Collection Special Pack.  The package was revealed at a Nintendo retailer briefing today and includes a Wii version of Super Mario All-Stars, a booklet titled "Super Mario History 1985 - 2010, " and a CD with Mario game music tracks spanning from Super Mario Bros. to Super Mario Galaxy 2.  The booklet covers the past 25 years of Mario series history and includes previously unreleased development materials.  The limited edition will be released on October 21, about five weeks after the September 13 quarter-century anniversary of Super Mario Bros, for a cost of 2500 yen.

Kirby's Epic Yarn, or Keito no Kirby, as it is known in Japan, was given an October 14 release date at a price of 5800 yen, as well as a new teaser trailer featuring the intro story and gameplay:

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (Ougon no Taiyou: Shikkokunaru Yoake) also received a date and price (October 28, 4800 yen), and a trailer:

The full October release schedule is as follows:

October 7
DS - Gakuken 3 Flavors of Thai/Indonesian
DS - Kingdom Hearts RE: Coded
DS - Tenkaichi Sengoku Lovers DS

October 14
Wii - Kirby's Big Yarn
DS - The Japanese Kanji Proficiency Foundation's Kanji DS Training
DS - Tokyo Twilight Busters ~ The Prohibited Ikenie Teikyou Jikokuhen

October 21
Wii - Super Mario Collection Special Pack
Wii - No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
Wii - Everyone Adventure! Family Trainer
DS - Strike Witchers 2: Heal - Fix - Punipuni

October 28
DS - Golden Sun: Black Dawn
DS - Cute Kitten DS 3
DS - Zack and Onbra's Illusion Park
DS - Solatorobo: And on to CODA
DS - Doggy Kitty Vetrinarian

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Super Mario Collection Special Pack Revealed
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 04:38:02 AM »
Please Please Please come the states oh Super Mario Collection Special Pack!!!
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 06:42:37 AM »
Everyone should check out the (possible) inspiration for Kirby's Epic Yarn, the original Japanese commercial for Kirby's Adventure on the NES/Famicom! Awesome.

Also, let me second that plea for All-Stars collection!
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 06:46:20 AM »
Please Please Please come the states oh Super Mario Collection Special Pack!!!

Dear Reggie,

I would like the Super Mario Collection Special Pack for Christmas, I have been very good.

-Nathan

Some time later...

Dear Nathan,

Unfortunately at this time we cannot confirm nor deny the possibility of a Super Mario Collection Special Pack in the States this Christmas,
though it was kind of you to write in nine months in advance. What I can say is, Miyamoto-San has been dabbling in coal mining
as of late, and you never know what will arrive in your stocking!

Love,
Reggie
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 08:54:17 AM »
Cons:
VC is cheaper.
I've already downloaded all of the titles via VC.
No messy disc with VC.
Probably isn't coming to the US.
No Super Mario World (my version of All Stars has Super Mario World!)

Pros:
Awesome soundtrack (I assume).
Can play this on any Wii without having to re-download it (and paying for it again).
Purty graphics.
We all know I'm going to buy it anyway.

It's a shame it's just a port.  It'd be neat if it included options for NES, SNES and Wii graphics.  It'd be awesome if it included an option to use the NSMBWii engine for multi-player.  Imagine playing Super Mario Bros. 2 USA with four players.  But then, we're looking at a $50 release instead of a $30 release, I'm sure.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 09:49:34 AM »
Which version of Super Mario All-Stars? There were two versions (they later re-released the game to include Super Mario World).

UncleBob, we both know that many people (myself included) would be more than happy to buy the SMAS versions of the games because they are much better graphically and audio-wise. Plus, for another $10 you get that booklet and a CD. Hell, I would probably be willing to buy the port alone for the money.

PLEASE Nintendo, bring that over here. I would be more than willing to pay $30 for it and I wouldn't be surprised if if it sold at least 500K here (especially considering that more than 500K people in the US paid $30 just to get Classic NES Series: Super Mario Bros. on GBA).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 09:54:31 AM »
I think the best part of this edition would be the music CD, honestly.  I've still got my SNES cart, and I might even prefer the NES graphics and sound to the All-Stars version anyway.  Now, if there was some crazy option to switch between NES/SNES/Wii audio-visuals, that's another story.  But that ain't happening.  Still hope it comes stateside, if only to gaze at it in the aisle.
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 10:14:31 AM »
Should this come to the U.S., then my avatar will convey my feelings quite well.  ;D

Sounds like quite a package, so I hope we do get something to commemorate 25 years of Mario. (Hopefully even a segment about it on RFN.)
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 10:25:37 AM »
That got me thinking, next year is the 30th anniversary of both Mario and Donkey Kong and I wonder if Nintendo will do anything to celebrate that.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 10:51:56 AM »
Sounds like an awesome package, one that sadly I know is too awesome for Nintendo to bring over here in any way, shape, or form.  We might get lucky and get the Wii version of Mario All Stars, but that's about it...unfortunately.

C'mon, Nintendo!  Prove me wrong!  Announce it for North America (even make it a Club Nintendo exclusive if need be)!
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 11:46:35 AM »
If this is literally Super Mario All-Stars on a disc, then no thank you. I'm not paying full price for a ROM and a soundtrack disc.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 11:48:09 AM »
I really really hope I'm just being pessimistic, but the fact that this is a retail release of games that are (kind of) already on the VC scares the crap out of me.

If Nintendo bails on VC I will be one of the most depressed video game fans in the world.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 11:57:09 AM »
I own all three games already, so this collection isn't for me. I'd like to to see how it looks, though I suppose the obvious answer would be that it will be running on the same engine as New Super Mario Bros. Wii, so chances are that the remakes will be in the pre-rendered style of that game.

Query: would it not be more sensible to separate this news item from the new Kirby and Golden Sun trailers? It seems the parts of the article unrelated to Super Mario Collection Pack are being glazed over. For what it's worth, the trailer for Kirby's Epic Yarn is definitely worth watching. It has me more excited than the trailer from E3, and now I'm very ticked off at its 2011 release in Europe. Also, everyone's been worried about the fact that there wasn't any clear way for to die -- remember: there's always bottomless pits, which may be a credible threat now that Kirby's jump has been cut short.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 11:59:05 AM »
If this was getting a New Super Mario Bros update, then I'm totally fine with it.  If it's just the SNES game, I would have much rather seen it on VC with a premium price tag to correspond with the quanity of games... or... better yet... chop it into three VC games each with SNES price point.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 12:07:48 PM »
If this was getting a New Super Mario Bros update, then I'm totally fine with it.  If it's just the SNES game, I would have much rather seen it on VC with a premium price tag to correspond with the quanity of games... or... better yet... chop it into three VC games each with SNES price point.

Certainly. I struggle to see a no-frills-attached re-release of a SNES game on Wii flying in today's market. I think there needs to be an appreciable difference between All Stars and this new package, and to me, updated graphics and sound is the only good approach.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 12:13:39 PM »
Nintendo should release this game as either a VC title with a premium, or sell it as a wiiware rebirth title. All in all, I would prefer to have this game as a down load title than pay full price for a ROM that is nearly twenty-years-old. Good one Nintendo, but we are not falling for your tricks this time!
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 12:33:31 PM »
Why are people acting like this is a bad value? One, you can not buy these on the VC. Second, the soundtrack sounds like it will be worth more than $10.

Kytim and Jonny, how is $30 full price? A standard Wii game is $50. The game be 2,500 Yen (which is about $29.70).

Even if this is just the first version of SMAS, it would cost $20 to buy the plain VC versions. Here you get the SNES re-makes (which had vastly superior graphics, better sound, built-in save features, and fixed glitches), plus a soundtrack CD that spans the last 25 years of Mario, and a booklet, for just $10 more. This is easily a great value. Killer Man, there are four games in SMAS or five in the re-release (Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3).

Even if Nintendo only charged $1 premium per game on VC, that would still add up to $24. You don't think the booklet and CD (plus convenience of not needing to waste space on the menu) are worth $6?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 12:37:19 PM »
Don't know if you were referring to me too there Spyke, but my beef is not with the value.  I just don't like that they are creating a branch in their "platforms" if you will.
---------------------

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 12:40:03 PM »
If Nintendo bails on VC I will be one of the most depressed video game fans in the world.

IMO, Nintendo's already bailed on the VC and they've already made it fairly clear that they're not putting compilation games on the VC, so I'll take getting a version of Mario All Stars (especially if they jazz it up with NSMBW visuals, which I doubt).  Besides, the CD's worth the value to me.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 12:49:26 PM »
Mario 1: $5
Mario 2: $5
Mario 3: $5
Mario World: $8
Mario Lost levels: $6
=
$29

I already have tons mario songs on my ipod
Maybe if they include mario land 1+2 with updated graphics and music that would be cool.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 02:11:03 PM »
Quote from: Killer Man Jaro
I'd like to to see how it looks, though I suppose the obvious answer would be that it will be running on the same engine as New Super Mario Bros. Wii, so chances are that the remakes will be in the pre-rendered style of that game.

That is not at all the obvious answer, and in fact there is no chance these games are being reskinned with 3D visuals at this price point. Also, there is nothing pre-rendered about NSMB Wii. It's all rendered in real-time, including the backgrounds.

Quote from: TJ Spyke
Kytim and Jonny, how is $30 full price?
Sorry, I didn't see the price info before I posted. $30 is still not worth it for me, but it makes more sense for the marketplace.

Quote from: Mr. Adolph Vega
Mario 1: $5
Mario 2: $5
Mario 3: $5
Mario World: $8
Mario Lost levels: $6
=
$29

I already have tons mario songs on my ipod
Maybe if they include mario land 1+2 with updated graphics and music that would be cool.

Super Mario All-Stars: $8 (if we're going with standard Virtual Console prices)

Also, I don't think it's clear yet whether Super Mario World will be included in this version. As others have said, it depends on which edition of All-Stars is used.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 02:13:22 PM by Jonnyboy117 »
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 02:11:41 PM »

I would love to see a "Wario Land: Shake It!" take on SMB3.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 03:20:44 PM »
Quote from: Killer Man Jaro
I'd like to to see how it looks, though I suppose the obvious answer would be that it will be running on the same engine as New Super Mario Bros. Wii, so chances are that the remakes will be in the pre-rendered style of that game.

That is not at all the obvious answer, and in fact there is no chance these games are being reskinned with 3D visuals at this price point. Also, there is nothing pre-rendered about NSMB Wii. It's all rendered in real-time, including the backgrounds.

Durp. My mistake. Crossed my terms.
And yeah, perhaps it's false optimism on my part to expect that, but as I said to Pale, I cannot see a straight port flying in the marketplace. I mean, seriously, how would you sell that to people? "Here's a game from over a decade ago, with all the basic visuals and 16-bit sound still intact." You imagine a TV advertisement showing footage and whatever the strength of the Mario brand, I don't think the Japanese market would find that particularly appealing. That's just me; I'm as clueless about Nintendo's thought processes as the next person, but I personally see no strong business proposition for this pack unless some work is actually done.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 03:27:19 PM »

And yeah, perhaps it's false optimism on my part to expect that, but as I said to Pale, I cannot see a straight port flying in the marketplace. I mean, seriously, how would you sell that to people?

Hence all the added pack-ins.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 04:42:41 PM »
maybe they can trick the Wii and run all the old games in 720p. The wii should be able to handle simple games like that in HD and maybe include orchestrated remix soundtracks like they had in Brawl, and Galaxy.

I can dream can't i?