Author Topic: NWR's Influence  (Read 7551 times)

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
NWR's Influence
« on: August 17, 2010, 04:16:49 PM »
Hey everyone,

I've recently made a couple of game purchases which were heavily influenced by NWR staffers. Their spotlighting of these games caught my attention and whetted my appetite, and neither were formally reviewed. Particularly, Mischief Makers on N64, influenced by Zach's "Retro Revival" segment and Greg and co.'s discussion of it on recent RFNs) and Paladin's Quest for the SNES (featured on a recent episode of Radio Trivia, discussed by TYP and Jonny Metts). I have not been disappointed by either, and only Mischief Makers holds a little personal nostalgic value. (Also, it's a apparently an Enix game??)

So I am wondering, which of your game purchases has NWR played a role in, either recently or ones that are particularly memorable?

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
Re: NWR's Influence
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 04:27:21 PM »
SHAKE SHAKE! SHAKE SHAKE!

I miss Mischief Makers...

I can't say if NWR has influenced any game purchases. I pretty much get an overall feeling about a game from several sites before making a decision.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 04:30:56 PM »
For me not a single game! NWR staff guys are no good to no body!

Seriously though I generally know what I'm going to get regardless of almost anyone's critique.  But the times that NWR helped me was with Bowser's Inside Story and I think Tatsunoko VS Capcom. NWR reviewed that right, think it was just about the only review I read and I normally hate 2D non Smash Bros fighters.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 04:34:49 PM »
I end up checking out a bunch of games I probably would have otherwise missed because of RFN. Actually, podcasts in general do that to me; I bought The World Ends With You recently because it came up in discussion on Weekend Confirmed.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 04:38:07 PM »
There are some HD games I've bought because various RFN panelists have talked about them, such as Flower and (recently) The Last Remnant.  I also only bought Mario Galaxy 2 because both Lindy and James really liked the game (and neither were the biggest proponents of the game at first).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 05:18:44 PM »
I purchased Wario Land Shake It because of the love it received from NWR.  Jeremy Parish hated on the game so much I passed on it until NWR convinced me to give it a shot.  I'll also eventually purchase Bit.Trip Runner because of how much Jonny and Greg like it on RFN.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 05:44:45 PM »
I bought Zack & Wiki largely because of the praise it received here (though IGN raved about it as well).  It's a decent game but unfortunately it didn't really hold my interest for long.  I think it was somewhat overrated by its fans due to a desire for good Wii third party games and the difficulty in finding any.  It also uses the remote in some creative ways so it was often a quick example to defend the merits of the remote.

It certainly seems like a good game.  I would never says it sucks or that it's a poorly made game.  It seems like a decent title that is given the role as some sort of Wii savior that it cannot possibly fulfil.  It isn't meant to be a killer app on any system.  It should not be one of the best third party games.  If anything promoting it as such makes it and the Wii look weak.  On any other system it would be a niche supporting title and in that role it succeeds.

Offline Retro Deckades

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 08:39:23 PM »
I'll also eventually purchase Bit.Trip Runner because of how much Jonny and Greg like it on RFN.

I am planning on doing the exact same thing, as soon as my new SD card arrives in the mail. Also, the discussion of obscure sidescrollers in a recent RFN also prompted me to purchase Demon's Crest for the SNES.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 09:56:04 PM »
I have to restrain myself from buying the Wii/DS Geometry Wars games every time I see them (especially when they're $10-$15) based largely on Greg's glowing recommendations.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 02:10:07 AM »
I wouldn't say that NWR has ever been the sole deciding factor on a game purchase, but there are definitely some games that I wouldn't have purchased if I didn't visit this site. Two games come to mind, Little King's Story and Rune Factory Frontier, which I saw being discussed in the forums and checked out some reviews for them. If I didn't visit here then I likely never would have heard of these games. Then there's Monster Hunter Tri; the only reason I bought that game was to play with everyone here who planned to buy it as well.

I have not been disappointed by either, and only Mischief Makers holds a little personal nostalgic value. (Also, it's a apparently an Enix game??)
Not really. It was just published by Enix in Japan.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 02:43:29 AM »
Henry Hatsworth, which I'd heard almost nothing about elsewhere, was pitched very well by Jonny and Greg on RFN, and I was convinced to pick it up. It's an excellent game and now I'm eager to play the next creative dual-screen idea from the same team, Monster's Tale (another game I haven't seen anything about except on NWR).
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Marty

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 08:02:16 AM »
I tend to use NWR to help me make a judgement on a game, but rarely would any one review persuade or dissuade me about purchasing a game. I'm usually quite pig-headed, if something seems interesting to me, i'll more than likely purchase it at some point (sometimes to my detriment...cough...conduit...cough).
"I'm just a humble M***** F***** with a big-ass D***"- The Bunk

Offline Retro Deckades

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 11:12:50 AM »
Not really. It was just published by Enix in Japan.

I know that it was developed by Treasure, I was just surprised to learn that it had any ties to Enix whatsoever, even as a publisher, when I booted it up and their logo appeared.

I am beginning to think that NWR plays a larger role in my purchases of old games. There are plenty of websites that cover new games, but few that talk about old games in a contemporary context. Discussions like these give the impression that a game has been able to stand the "test of time," so to speak.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 12:51:45 PM »
Greg's glowing praise of Sin and Punishment 2 lifted it from "wait for a price drop" to "full price is fine."  And he was right.

Offline Art_de_Cat

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • Art_de_Cat's Deviant Art page
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 01:17:01 PM »
Outside of my own thoughts and feelings for a franchise, I kinda read what different sites say about a game or series Im not familiar with. I do read the stuff on NWR, but I can not say it is the main factor in my decision making.  But every now and again it does offer a insight or two worth considering that I hadnt already thought about.
They say that there is no medicine that can cure a fool......
I guess that's true.....

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 07:52:47 AM »
Warioland Shake It is the first title that comes to mind.

I know because of GP I bought Animal Crossing.

I remember back in the day it was PGC's review of Dark Summit that got be to buy that game on Gamecube. I enjoyed it. Cool combination of snowboarding and adventure/platforming. IGN gave it a dismal review and I was all dejected and not going to get it. Then I looked here and saw the 8 it got and decided to try it. I sold it later and I actually regret doing it. Was an odd game with some poor quirks but an interesting and different title.

RetroActive got me to get several games like Dynamite Heady, Metroid 2 and Shining Force 2.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 09:47:05 AM »
I would have ignored ExciteBots like the vast majority of people did if not for NWR.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 10:47:09 AM »
I would have never bought my PS3 if it wasn't for Lindy pushing me in that direction.  You're quite the persuasive man with words, Jon. :P

I don't regret my purchase one bit. Loving my PS3.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Gameboy Freak

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 11:17:55 AM »
I bought Retro Game Challenge because of NWR.

One of the best games I have on my DS. My favorite games on it are Robot Ninja Haggle Man 1-3, Cosmic Gate, Star Prince. and Guadia Quest.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 11:33:50 AM »
The previous two posts also apply to me. My various interactions with Jon Lindemann are what got me to buy a PS3, and the repeated insistences of Jonny and Greg on RFN made me buy Retro Game Challenge. I also bought Donkey Kong Jungle Beat because of this site. Actually, I bought it twice: I got the NPC version because of the praise and then bought the GC original because everyone here said it was better.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 07:05:35 PM »
I would have never bought my PS3 if it wasn't for Lindy pushing me in that direction.  You're quite the persuasive man with words, Jon. :P
I find a certain irony to this.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 10:09:20 PM »
I would have never bought my PS3 if it wasn't for Lindy pushing me in that direction.  You're quite the persuasive man with words, Jon. :P: :
I find a certain irony to this.
What irony? Jon hyped up the PS3 on the podcast, got me specifically excited about playing Uncharted 2, and I was sold. Or do you mean because "I like Nintendo more than j00!" Of course I love Nintendo, but my gah... I wanted a far more traditional experience playing games with a traditional type controller.  And there wasn't any chance in hell I was touching an Xbox 360 pad... I just needed a little nudge to convince me to go after the PS3. Jon spoke highly of it, and I bit.  'Nuff said.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 10:47:27 PM »
Just that a director of a Nintendo website would convince someone to purchase a PlayStation 3. I'm certainly not saying that everyone here should own only Nintendo systems (I don't), but there's a tinge of irony to that any way you slice it.

I'm not going to touch the "traditional" comment.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 11:09:04 PM »
I would have ignored ExciteBots like the vast majority of people did if not for NWR.

Thats because the whole theme/style/name/marketing screams shovelware. Even if it isn't.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.