Author Topic: Returned to the fold..  (Read 2566 times)

Offline rossi46

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Returned to the fold..
« on: July 01, 2006, 01:13:56 AM »
Hi all, I've just returned to regular gaming after spending years building up a massive retro collection, then selling it all off and starting again. I've just gotten myself a 'Cube and a few games and thought I'd find me a decent forum to chat all things gaming again.  I seem to be searching in vain for any kind of decent track-based racer, though. I've got myself a copy of R:Racing Evolution on import (thanks Freeloader) but it's kind of lacking in the excitement area, tbh.

Can anyone advise me on the state of play regarding GC racing games, please.

*thinks - I've been away too long....*

Cheers
Korean food is great! : It's the dog's bollocks...

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
RE: Returned to the fold..
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 03:05:39 AM »
R: Racing Evolution is about the best you'll get in the "realistic racer" category.

F-Zero GX is a futuristic racer that should probably have weapons in it (you can fight the other racers, but only by ramming them). It's amazingly fast. Some say too fast. Very extreme.

Mario Kart: Double Dash is a cartoony weapon-based multiplayer party racer. I'd recommend it if you're looking for a party game, not a racing game.

Wave Race: Blue Storm is pretty underrated. It's not much of an improvment over the N64's revolutionary Wave Race 64, but if you haven't played the first one, it's a pretty unique experience. It's Jet-Ski racing. On water, of course.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline rossi46

• View Profile
RE:Returned to the fold..
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 03:15:11 AM »
IMO, a lack of 'proper' racers killed the Dreamcast. All us DC fans had to contend with was the shoddy Sega Gt, which handled like a broken dog with backward facing legs. We also had the Subliminal Le Mans 24 HR, but that was harder to find than rocking horse poo. I, myself, was quite bitter sitting watching all the spoilt-brat PS2 owners with their plethora of Gran Tourismo clones to play.

Is the Nascar series any good on the Cube? I'm UK-based, but I do own a Freeloder disk.

Thanks

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 06:12:44 AM »
Realist racing is like the GC's worst genre =S  I'd say F-Zero is one of the generations best racers, but if you're looking realistic racers, GC isn't the console to choose >_>
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 08:18:14 AM »
Be sure to check out Wii this fall for the upcoming Excite Truck!  

edit: Oh, and a lot of the EA Racing games are on the Cube as well.
Plus Logitech made a wheel controller for the Gamecube, you may want that.

Offline rossi46

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 09:31:43 AM »
So what, if any, EA racers came out in the US that we didn't get in the UK? I know of the Nascar games and Auto Modellista (which I have but can't take seriosly). Are there any more. Did you lot get any Champ car stuff for instance?

Ta

paul

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 09:30:37 PM »
Get F-Zero GX now - you won't regret it.

Burnout 2, while not really a realistic racer, is a lot of fun - you should check it out.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 01:19:30 AM »

Originally posted by: rossi46
So what, if any, EA racers came out in the US that we didn't get in the UK? I know of the Nascar games and Auto Modellista (which I have but can't take seriosly). Are there any more. Did you lot get any Champ car stuff for instance?

Ta

paul

I don't think Champ Car games exist on any console, sadly. That'd be sweet though, as would an A1GP game. Heck a decent F1 game would be something fresh as far as racers go at the moment, blame Sony for buying the license and handing it over exclusively to their crappy first party developer though.

GC has one or two F1 games from EA, 2001 and 2002 I think, but both are crap. The NASCAR games are supposed to be good, if you're into ovals. It's a shame Nintendo doesn't take this genre seriously, it's one thing that really brings the GC library down. R Racing is probably the best.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 07:25:54 AM »

Originally posted by: rossi46
IMO, a lack of 'proper' racers killed the Dreamcast. All us DC fans had to contend with was the shoddy Sega Gt, which handled like a broken dog with backward facing legs. We also had the Subliminal Le Mans 24 HR, but that was harder to find than rocking horse poo. I, myself, was quite bitter sitting watching all the spoilt-brat PS2 owners with their plethora of Gran Tourismo clones to play.

Is the Nascar series any good on the Cube? I'm UK-based, but I do own a Freeloder disk.

Thanks

actually i think rampant piracy kiled the dreamcast
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 09:03:43 AM »
Lots of factors killed the Dreamcast, the biggest being Sega.

Offline rossi46

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 09:32:11 AM »
The fact that Sega couldn't market free sex in a whorehouse didn't help.