Author Topic: I'm interested in an RPG.....  (Read 4039 times)

Offline edogg_21

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
I'm interested in an RPG.....
« on: June 09, 2003, 06:42:14 AM »
I really want to buy an RPG for gamecube, but i don't know what i want. I am debating between Phantasy Star Online (although i wouldn't ever go online) and Skies of Arcadia Legends. I never played either of them for the Dreamcast, so they are both new games to me. My question is which one should i buy? To give an idea of my tastes......I love multiplayer, i have very competitive friends, i know PSO has multiplayer but is it good enough to actually enjoy with friends? Additionaly, the last ( and only) RPG i ever played was FF 7 for playstation. I loved the game. I don't want an action game (zelda) i want a true RPG where u level up and inflict hit points etc. Please give me info about the two RPG's i am debating on buying, and try to sell me one way or the other for the game you think is best. Thank you.
Help Fight Crime........................Shoot Back

Offline GameCuberZ

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2003, 08:26:04 AM »
I have yet to play a proper RPG on GameCube, but from what I've heart PSO is only really worth it if you will play online. Don't know if about the multiplayer...someone else will have to answer that.

I would go for Skies of Arcadia, it's called one of the best RPG's ever made by many, along with FFVII.

Offline NoVisAnima

• View Profile
RE: I'm interested in an RPG.....
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2003, 08:33:31 AM »
Well i've got Skies of Arcadia Legends and i think it is absolutely brilliant. The gameplay and story is really well done and since i ended up playing it for 6 hours solid a few days ago i'll definately recommend it. The graphics might look a little dated due to it being a dreamcast port but if you can over look that you'll have no problems. TBH ATM i'm enjoying it more than FF7

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2003, 09:53:37 AM »
ive only just picked up skies and its awsome from the get go, you wont be disapointed.
PSO on the other hand, ive only played it on dreamcast both on and offline and had fun with either, admitedly i didn't own it and was playing my friends copy so i cant give  a good idea what the game is like BUT from how much i played i could tell it was also awsome (some VERY awsome music, i have alot of the soundtrack on mp3)

what ever you choose you wont be disapointed, they are both top games (both sega games too ^_^). given they are both great it would probably be worth a rent of both to determine

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2003, 10:34:15 AM »
Since you are not going online I would have to say Skies of Arcadia because PSO does get boring if you don't have friends around for the multiplayer.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2003, 12:51:25 PM »
skies is one of the better rpgs to come around this time
it has a great story, good battle system, great characters, and hours of gameplay
ps0 is a very good game on its own but the real fun of it is as others have said- online
if you dont take it online, it wont be as fun
ps0 is really meant to be played with others so single is not as good
i would go with skies being how it is a great game and the best rpg on the gc
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Marufy007

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2003, 03:27:59 PM »
i have both skies and pso.

i was reluctant to get pso when i kept hearing it was only really worth it if you went online. well my friend picked it up before i did and i can say after having played it for about 7 hours straight my first day, i knew i had to buy it. yes its got more longetivity if you get it online, but if you also have a circle of friends who enjoy RPG's then you may be able to get by with just the multiplayer. everyone ive had play it with me (which is about 6 people) all like it and 2 have bought it. since i have a lot of friends i can play with, it doesnt get old for me. if you can hook some friends of yours into it with you as well and you know you can play it with them more then say once a month, then i recommend that. everytime i play this game, its usually anywhere from 7-11 hours i play it straight. yes, thats SICK but that shows you how much i and my friends like the game. we're far from your "gaming geeks" as well. i havent played video games like that since i was in middle school/high school. im lucky i didnt screw up this past semester at college with all the playing i did. so, DEFINITELY get pso if you know you can get people to play with you. the only bad thing is there is some minor slow down when it has 4 people on the screen. the forest area is bad, but the ruins area worked flawlessly. its all a matter of if your in an open area or in room with walls.

as for skies, its also great. but since you said you rlooking for multiplayer, then i cant stress pso enough. if you can, rent it first and play with a friend or two.  
Save the best for last!
CLASS OF 99!!!
Maruf

Offline JoeSmashBro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2003, 06:04:55 PM »
PIAC: yes! murray rules!
-Joe
"If the guests give you their coats, hang them in the closet!"
AIM: WhatJoeSays

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2003, 06:27:21 PM »
From the sounds of what you are saying, I think that you will love Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles when it comes out.  But definately get Skies of Arcadia right now.  It is certainly one of the best RPGs I have ever played.

That being said, if all you have played is FF7, then you are seriously missing out on some classics.  IMHO, FF7 wasn't all THAT great.  Try playing Chrono Trigger (SNES), Xenogears (PSX), Final Fantasy IV or VI (SNES, 2 and 3 in America), and then top that off with some Breath of Fire 2 (GBA or SNES).

The current games to watch on GameCube would be Tales of Symphonia and Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles though.  PSO IMO isn't that great of a game, but all I have played is the PC trial version, so don't hold to my opinion that much.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2003, 06:28:36 PM »
From the sounds of what you are saying, I think that you will love Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles when it comes out.  But definately get Skies of Arcadia right now.  It is certainly one of the best RPGs I have ever played.

That being said, if all you have played is FF7, then you are seriously missing out on some classics.  IMHO, FF7 wasn't all THAT great.  Try playing Chrono Trigger (SNES), Xenogears (PSX), Final Fantasy IV or VI (SNES, 2 and 3 in America), and then top that off with some Breath of Fire 2 (GBA or SNES).

The current games to watch on GameCube would be Tales of Symphonia and Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles though.  PSO IMO isn't that great of a game, but all I have played is the PC trial version, so don't hold to my opinion that much.

Offline Zelda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2003, 08:01:31 PM »
Get Skies of Arcadia. It's one of the best games ever.
Get PSO only if you plan to play it online. It's not worth it offline. And wait for Tales of Symphonia and Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. If you're interested in getting another system for RPGs get a ps/ps2 or a snes.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2003, 08:47:20 PM »
Two words: Animal Crossing

Offline deminisma

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2003, 09:27:37 PM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
IMHO, FF7 wasn't all THAT great.

I have to diagree, very much so. Final Fantasy VII = hands down one of the best games ever IMHO. Also, the mark this game left on the gaming world was a big one. Following FFVII, RPGs were no longer just for nerds. In my opinion there is no way anyone can trivialize this game in any way.

Offline Inuyasha

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2003, 09:49:35 PM »
FFVII was a really great game. And I would get Skies of Arcadia if you'll never go online. But I myself am going to get PSO since I know a few people I can play it online with.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2003, 09:57:04 PM »
FF7 has a really slow start and that is one of the things that bug me about that game, though the rest of it was pretty good.

PSO is also good if you have friends that like to come over to your house, though it doesn't really compete with the other multiplayer games there are.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2003, 12:41:10 PM »
Hey, I didn't say it was a bad game.  I actually really enjoyed it.  Just saying that it was one of the best games ever seems a little... wrong to me.  It was a fine game by its own right.  The gameplay was refined, and the story was decent.  But it just WASN'T A FINAL FANTASY.  The Final Fantasy franchise died with #6, and the last good one made was FF7.

If you will turn your attention to the link in my sig, I have given reviews to all the games I own.  You will notice I gave FF7 a 9.5.  That's not a bad score at all.  All I am saying is that you can do MUCH better than FF7.  The only reason most people think it is unbeatable is because it was the first RPG they played.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2003, 03:28:30 PM »

All I am saying is that you can do MUCH better than FF7. The only reason most people think it is unbeatable is because it was the first RPG they played.

Ain't that the truth.  I have played FF since FF on the NES and I consider FF 2 and 3 (US) to be the best in the series.  Good to know that I am not alone on the FFVII thing.  I didn't even play FFVII until December 1999.  I was kinda pissed that Square left Nintendo.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline edogg_21

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2003, 04:45:32 PM »
First off i would like to thank everyone for giving me all of the info they did. I will also they though that i am  a bit confused. Multiplayer is HUGE to me but i wouldn't ever think bout online....ever. Secondly, it sounds like Skies of Arcadia Legends is by far a better game (since i am anti-internet) but the multiplayer of PSO is quite intriguing (sp). And to answer a reply someone gave me about FF:CC... when i first heard about the game i was in heaven, it sounded like everything and more to me, then i heard the bit of info. about the gameboy advances and now i will probably never even care to look at n e thing related to the game ever again. I might be alone when i say this, but gameboy connectivity does not float my boat at all. We have one gameboy advance amongst my friends and we played zelda quite a bit with it and then decided it was stupid. On the other hand, linked up gamecubes is going to be God like amongst my friends. Yes, it is much more convenient for me to have to cubes and two t.v.'s and a cable then the internet and or a bunch of gameboy advances. Thanks for your help.
Help Fight Crime........................Shoot Back

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2003, 08:55:02 PM »
Well, if you like a story-driven turn-based CRPG, SoA is your bet. If you prefer something like Diablo over FF, you should go with PSO. And if you like having an original combat system, grab Lost Kingdoms 2 (it's finally an RPG!).